Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

UHD posted:

I'd welcome a Gogo fight if you had to stand there doing nothing for the first minute or so or he'd loving kill you.

at least, the base defender's practice will have paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sleeve draw is my favorite AST skill because you pop it and get AoE double spires, reroll one and get a spear instead.

Eventually you just go "gently caress it" and give everyone an expanded spire and embrace the chaos.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

I think it has to do with how this expansion treats the WoL in general. At the start of HW, we had basically nothing, and spent the entire 3.0 patch proving ourselves to the Ishgardians. At the start of SB, everybody already knows that we're an unstoppable hero figure, and they treat us as such. When the MSQ is constantly mentioning how you saved X NPC years ago, or that they can just toss you at the latest evil god to spring up like it's no big deal, having to go collect poop can give you a bit of whiplash.

But the Xaela are cool and I wanted to help them anyway, so it's no big deal.

Yeah, I took that whole scene as being that 1. The Mol and the Au'ra in general don't know and don't care about who you are.
2. Everyone picks up poo poo there.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TheRagamuffin posted:

Holy poo poo a Gogo boss would rule. I wanna see a 4-man boss that can potentially eat an LB2 and throw it right back at the party.

The trick is to have a goon use B4B first to increase their damage taken (Gogo copies) and then LB2 so he doesn't live long enough to throw it back at you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

UHD posted:

I'd welcome a Gogo fight if you had to stand there doing nothing for the first minute or so or he'd loving kill you.

Even better: The Gogo fight is Bardam's Mettle's second boss, only Hard Mode :getin:

Thundarr posted:

I am kind of surprised that people focus so much on that quest in Azim Steppes though. This is at least the fourth or fifth time the WoL has been tasked with picking literal poo poo up off the ground, it's practically our hobby at this point.

Even then people here haven't focused on it nearly enough as much as the requisite quests in WoW. Probably because FFXIV knows how to frame it's quests properly: you're not just doing it for them you're doing it FOR WITH THE CHILDREN and they have some pretty ok dialogue.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Renegret posted:

Sleeve draw is my favorite AST skill because you pop it and get AoE double spires, reroll one and get a spear instead.

Eventually you just go "gently caress it" and give everyone an expanded spire and embrace the chaos.

Once out of desperation I hit sleeve draw with an empty gauge and got two balances and enhanced. Felt pretty fuckin boss after that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My favorite is getting the spear in the held slot. :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bell_ posted:

And Zenos. At the very end, I'd like to think that while everybody else was screaming the WoL gave a little wave and shy smile.

I feel like me and Raubahn went through some serious poo poo together.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I really like how in the SAM quests, you end up becoming your own teacher after you kill your master halfway through the questline.

Do any of the other classes end up becoming the master themselves?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

My favorite is getting the spear in the held slot. :)

Pop it on yourself then pop you refresh. Easy work!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rhonne posted:

I really like how in the SAM quests, you end up becoming your own teacher after you kill your master halfway through the questline.

In SMN you always were. Every job quest is basically Y'mhitra saying "I found this record of a thing, want to try it?"

and of course DRK was you all along

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The gladiator 60-70 quests establish you as the number one gladiator in the coliseum.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

In the WAR quests you're already the strongest and best Warrior there ever was. The 60+ story isn't actually about you and you kind of just learn new skills accidentally.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish that every time Grynewaht showed up and yelled about you being his archnemesis or whatever, you had a dialogue option to say "who are you?"
Oh, I know! I hope it becomes an option for Fordola if she gets just as obsessed with the WoL.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The 3.0 Dragoon quests had you basically playing the master role, inventing new techniques that no other spearguy had figured out. 4.0 continues this since you're basically the strongest one to ever live.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhonne posted:

DRG 50-60 starts that way, you training a fresh dragoon. The story branches off pretty quick so it's not about that, and as for skills you just make poo poo up as you go, thanks to Midgardsomr's aether or whatever.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
MCH 60-70 starts with you becoming the gun-handling trainer for the Brume militia and then transitions to a Hildabrand plotline.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
BLU is going to be about the Warrior of Light using the power of the Echo to create a new job wholesale. Please look forward to it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really hope the 5.0 DRG storyline is you and Estinien setting up a dragon crisis hotline, and then because dragons are weird helping them is often suspiciously similar to fighting them

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Be an equal opportunities AST and give unbuffed versions of each card once to each member in order of location of party list. If you draw a repeat after each person has had it once, click your buff away.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even better: The Gogo fight is Bardam's Mettle's second boss, only Hard Mode :getin:

I'm in. That boss is still pretty cool even in repeat encounters. They already have "Do not move or get rekt" mechanics anyway.

Someone mentioned videos a couple pages back. Super not necessary. You should be able to figure out what's going on in a couple of pulls. Especially in something like Susano EX where your ability to dick over the party is actually relatively small compared to other fights of similar difficulty. Like one person can't gently caress up Susano EX as easily as I think they can Lakshmi.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish that every time Grynewaht showed up and yelled about you being his archnemesis or whatever, you had a dialogue option to say "who are you?"

I genuinely didn't recognize him for at least three scenes after his initial introduction. And even though I'm literally quoting a post with his name in it, I could not tell you what it is if you put a gun to my head

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm in. That boss is still pretty cool even in repeat encounters. They already have "Do not move or get rekt" mechanics anyway.

Someone mentioned videos a couple pages back. Super not necessary. You should be able to figure out what's going on in a couple of pulls. Especially in something like Susano EX where your ability to dick over the party is actually relatively small compared to other fights of similar difficulty. Like one person can't gently caress up Susano EX as easily as I think they can Lakshmi.

Are you confusing the fights with each other?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can dick the entire party over in Sus ex by simply not moving with lightning or by purposely getting thunderheads wrong.

It's a troll's dream fight.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Reminder: dying always dicks your team over.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trasson posted:

Reminder: dying always dicks your team over.

I don't know, certain players actually play better dead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rhonne posted:

RDM has your teacher acknowledging you as an equal by the time you hit 60.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Question: how accurate is ACT at tracking the actions of others in your party? I'm trying to do some analysis on my raid group's damage output and near as I can tell, our samurai cast 3 Hissatsu: Shintens to this guy's 53. Our samurai insists that he is using the ability whenever his kenki is above 35 but I don't know enough about samurai to correct him all that much.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if those numbers are right (and he's not lying about using it), your samurai's kenki generation is very, very bad. is he hitting positionals?

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if those numbers are right (and he's not lying about using it), your samurai's kenki generation is very, very bad. is he hitting positionals?

He says that he is, and he was flabergasted at the number of shintens FFLogs thinks he cast. I'm just wondering if ACT needs to be tweaked in order to accurately record the actions of other players, though our DRG and RDM seem to be doing fine on those logs so I don't know. ACT seems much more finicky than anything I'm used to (WoW addons, mostly).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'd love to play this game, but I have a few things that forbid me.
I'm currently jobless with no prospects due to where I live (small seaside town, it winter here and there are only jobs during summer) and I'm too far away from the nearest city to get employed, as it is a 2 hour bus ride and they don't want someone with odd hours. If the game had a way to exchange in-game currency for gametime, like in WoW, I'd play and be a happy camper.

I can't play the Free trial happily because I Do have an account with heavensward, so say I manage to get farther along in my trial account than main account it'd feel like a waste of time. The only times I've played FFXIV property were because a friend gifted me the game for last year's birthday and heavensward+60 days on Christmas.

And third: I've already sunk WAY too much time in WoW to abandon it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Looks more like 'not using Hagakure on cooldown.' I know I'm still adjusting to not cap out on kenki when I actually use it instead of trying to get FAT SICK 32k DIRECT CRIT MIDARE SETSUGEKKA's!!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 13, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, thanks for the AST tips everyone. I've been getting into D&D lately so a class whose main gimmick is literally "roll a d6" is appealing to me right now. Looking forward to getting minor arcana and actually getting some use out of those goddamn spears

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't mind if they did add game time as a giant Gil sink but sometimes SE seems like they're pinching pennies (repeatedly saying ffxiv 1.0 nearly killed the company) and other times they seem to have infinite money (they've got a bunch of projects that show no sign of releasing soon) so I have no idea if it's something they'd ever be interested in.

I would still suggest a trial if you're super Gung ho about playing since it will at least experiment with early level gameplay of each class for when you're able to resub your main account although the restrictions will suck until then

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Looks more like 'not using Hagakure on cooldown.' I know I'm still adjusting to not cap out on kenki when I actually use it instead of trying to get FAT SICK 32k DIRECT CRIT MIDARE SETSUGEKKA's!!

Yeah, Hagakure on cooldown is way more important for doing good SAM dps than is initially obvious and most of my struggles right now are getting used to the flow of burning Sen and Kenki that way.

I blame it on the leveling process - they introduce kenki way before you get Hagakure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope they're adding some sort of Verity sink in 4.05. Like a pet that costs 1,800 verity or something, I just have so much and nothing to spend it on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rand Brittain posted:

RDM has your teacher acknowledging you as an equal by the time you hit 60.

And you instead both work on training up a novice as a RDM.

Echo + Soul Stones are OP. Sometimes it feels like they're basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOpomu9V6Q

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Your party can survive 1 wrong lightning. If you're new and gently caress it up, just do it right the second time. If you even get a second time. The healers will hate you, but it can be survived.

In Lakshmi, if one person does the add phase wrong, several of you are dying. Possibly all of you if they're particularly clueless about what's going on. If the OT stands in the wrong place at the wrong time, several of you are dying. The only thing comparable in Susano is if someone does the marker + cloud wrong and lines up a cloud on the entire party. Then yeah, you're gonna gently caress it up. But there are a lot of "ands" in that probability, so I think you have a lower probability of wiping the party.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm expecting O1S to be pretty puggable because with the exception of lightning+ice every mechanic in normal mode is a personal responsibility mechanic--i.e., screwing up only kills you, not you + other people. It's the same reason Sophia was so easy to clear in DF, because six good people could carry two bad people. Obviously savage could just add extra mechanics that gently caress over the entire group though, so this is just an educated guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

One small thing that I'm 95% sure is going to happen is that 100 Gs in O2S will kill you if you're standing near someone else because of the ground circles that show up.