Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jinh posted:

I wouldn't mind if they did add game time as a giant Gil sink but sometimes SE seems like they're pinching pennies (repeatedly saying ffxiv 1.0 nearly killed the company) and other times they seem to have infinite money (they've got a bunch of projects that show no sign of releasing soon) so I have no idea if it's something they'd ever be interested in.

I think the latest stockholder report had them losing money in every department except mobile. Though Moebius, Exvious and Record Keeper making a poo poo ton of money, enough to offset the all the losses elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shere posted:

Yeah, Hagakure on cooldown is way more important for doing good SAM dps than is initially obvious and most of my struggles right now are getting used to the flow of burning Sen and Kenki that way.

I blame it on the leveling process - they introduce kenki way before you get Hagakure.

It's definitely this. Hagakure on cooldown is the difference between ok Sam DPS and whirling death machine. I'm still struggling a bit myself with it because I am also a big fan of seeing 40,000!! pop up next to monsters but being able to spam 300 potency oGCDs all day long is an amazing thing. And I'm also not quite sure if using it on CD even at two sen or waiting until you have three is better.

And unfortunately it's importance is kind of non-obvious to the Sam player unless they take a moment to run the numbers in their head. Or have somebody scream at them until they do it, I guess that works too.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thundarr posted:

It's definitely this. Hagakure on cooldown is the difference between ok Sam DPS and whirling death machine. I'm still struggling a bit myself with it because I am also a big fan of seeing 40,000!! pop up next to monsters but being able to spam 300 potency oGCDs all day long is an amazing thing. And I'm also not quite sure if using it on CD even at two sen or waiting until you have three is better.

And unfortunately it's importance is kind of non-obvious to the Sam player unless they take a moment to run the numbers in their head. Or have somebody scream at them until they do it, I guess that works too.

From what I remember from the theory discord you want to wait for 3, but 3 sen usually means they line up nicely (you can hold 3 sen for up to 2 GCD's waiting for it ofc))

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Right, though sometimes mechanics force you to delay attacks and this can cause it to get out of synch a bit.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

vOv posted:

One small thing that I'm 95% sure is going to happen is that 100 Gs in O2S will kill you if you're standing near someone else because of the ground circles that show up.

My O2S prediction is at least one mechanic that forces you to split the party between air and ground

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

My O2S prediction is at least one mechanic that forces you to split the party between air and ground

Oh man, maybe the -100 Gs mechanic is that you float by default and you have to use the levitator to sink to the ground.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think the latest stockholder report had them losing money in every department except mobile. Though Moebius, Exvious and Record Keeper making a poo poo ton of money, enough to offset the all the losses elsewhere.

i hate SE mobile games cashing in on our nostalgia but the fact that they enable SE to keep making stuff I love makes it worth it. I played record keeper for a bit but drat that game was expensive to be good at. I was dropping $20 every 2 weeks or so on banners and getting nothing from it and hating myself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even something as simple as "target one party member with an air stack marker, and one with a ground stack marker" would be a huge headache if the damage was tuned to require four people in each. It'd be a ballistic-missile style clusterfuck of assigned roles getting hosed over by who he targets.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Eh, the last thing they published was the YoY comparison and their home console division did better in the previous year than in the one before that. MMO revenue was lower because lack of an expansions disk sales and mobile saw an expansion of sales in all markets thanks to the release of things like FFBE Global.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Sounds like that might be it then. I assume you pretty much always want to wait for 3 sen before popping hagakure?

I still suspect I may have a combat log filter enabled that is loving things up because 3 Hassatsu: Shinkens seems absurd, but he said he was popping Hagakure at 1 or 2 sen so that might be the difference.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What is with all the ASTs who just won't use cards. I've run into this too much for it to be a one off thing. Why would you play the class thats all about cards if you don't want to use them!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Jinh posted:

i hate SE mobile games cashing in on our nostalgia but the fact that they enable SE to keep making stuff I love makes it worth it. I played record keeper for a bit but drat that game was expensive to be good at. I was dropping $20 every 2 weeks or so on banners and getting nothing from it and hating myself.

It's largely unnecessary to spend money on RK ever since Guaranteed 5* on 11 pulls became a thing. The quality of relics and banners these days is really high so basically anything you can get is useful. The game is also incredibly generous with free currency to fund relic pulls, especially for a new player that has tons of realm dungeons to go through. If you enjoyed it I'd totally recommend another shot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Have we ever seen any Imperial Lalafells?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What is with all the ASTs who just won't use cards. I've run into this too much for it to be a one off thing. Why would you play the class thats all about cards if you don't want to use them!!!

Stop running Sastasha.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's largely unnecessary to spend money on RK ever since Guaranteed 5* on 11 pulls became a thing. The quality of relics and banners these days is really high so basically anything you can get is useful. The game is also incredibly generous with free currency to fund relic pulls, especially for a new player that has tons of realm dungeons to go through. If you enjoyed it I'd totally recommend another shot.

yeah i remember you from the thread :D

i might, worried about dropping into the rabbit hole again though. think i quit shortly after shout came out and the massive debacle about drop rates and people spending multiple hundreds of dollars on a virtual sword. good to hear about the guaranteed 5*s!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Truth Quark posted:

Sounds like that might be it then. I assume you pretty much always want to wait for 3 sen before popping hagakure?

I still suspect I may have a combat log filter enabled that is loving things up because 3 Hassatsu: Shinkens seems absurd, but he said he was popping Hagakure at 1 or 2 sen so that might be the difference.

I have no idea what he could've been spending his kenki on then if he was using hagakure and still only managed 3 shintens. Each sen burned on hagakure gives you 20 kenki and every weapon skill gives an additional 5 kenki, so the sen generators give 10 when landing positionals, while shinten costs 25, and kaiten costs 20. Nothing about what your friend is saying is making sense. Even if he was using guren on cooldown, that's still only 50 kenki every 2 minutes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ciaphas posted:

I've killed a couple as trash mobs. They showed up as spellcasters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And you instead both work on training up a novice as a RDM.

Echo + Soul Stones are OP. Sometimes it feels like they're basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOpomu9V6Q

I mean it practically is.

And yeah that's my take on it as well. Echo makes it much easier to learn from a soul stone.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ciaphas posted:

At least one features during the Yanxia segment of SB.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yup we had the soul stone echo discussion a week or so ago too and figured that the echo lets you learn at an increased pace in general and feel things that other people can't, it's likely that not only are you using the echo to relive countless battles that the previous owners went through, but learning more from each of those battles than that person did.

Then applying those techniques to the enemy using the blessing of light which greatly increases your ability to use aether.

E: on the previous topic of "the WoL is the best at everything" I like to imagine that we're sort of looking back on the WoL from some point in the future and that at least some of what we're doing is being heavily embellished by a bard because even I can't suspend my disbelief that much.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 13, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is max level samurai play really just spamming shinken over and over again cause boy that doesn't sound fun in the least

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Hagakure is always a net dps gain regardless of sen count so I tend to use it more or less on cd, stalling for a sen if I'm about to get it.

Blockhouse posted:

is max level samurai play really just spamming shinken over and over again cause boy that doesn't sound fun in the least

This is not entirely wrong but it's absurdly reductionest. High level sam play is all about gauge management. You want to be dumping kenki into shinten but you also need to have enough kenki to kaiten your midare's and huge bananas, you want to keep some around to yaten/gyoten as needed, and you need to keep below or above certain thresholds depending on if hagakure or guren are about to be up.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jinh posted:

Yup we had the soul stone echo discussion a week or so ago too and figured that the echo lets you learn at an increased pace in general and feel things that other people can't, it's likely that not only are you using the echo to relive countless battles that the previous owners went through, but learning more from each of those battles than that person did.

Then applying those techniques to the enemy using the blessing of light which greatly increases your ability to use aether.

Although the MCH soulstone doesn't actually have any memories in it or past MCHs. So I guess you're just inherently dope at explosive flips.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Of all the dps classes I've played, a major part of all of them is hitting your oGCDs as often as possible. Shinken just happens to have no cooldown and spends a resource that you're generating constantly. I honestly don't even really think about hitting shinken, I just kind of do it every time it lights up. Instead I'm thinking about how big the numbers are gonna be the next time I fire off a midare.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Of all the dps classes I've played, a major part of all of them is hitting your oGCDs as often as possible. Shinken just happens to have no cooldown and spends a resource that you're generating constantly. I honestly don't even really think about hitting shinken, I just kind of do it every time it lights up. Instead I'm thinking about how big the numbers are gonna be the next time I fire off a midare.

oh okay I looked it up and I see you guys are talking about what I've already been doing (with limited success at my current level). I thought you guys were implying it was a DPS gain to use kenki on shinten and nothing else which sounded crazy to me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Although the MCH soulstone doesn't actually have any memories in it or past MCHs. So I guess you're just inherently dope at explosive flips.

Well you do have to be 50 on at least one combat class to get there.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Countblanc posted:

I hope they're adding some sort of Verity sink in 4.05. Like a pet that costs 1,800 verity or something, I just have so much and nothing to spend it on.

Yeah, it seems to be pretty useless unless you're gearing multiple combat jobs at the same time.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm OK with being inherently dope

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

oh okay I looked it up and I see you guys are talking about what I've already been doing (with limited success at my current level). I thought you guys were implying it was a DPS gain to use kenki on shinten and nothing else which sounded crazy to me

Yeah you should be using Kaiten for Higabana and Setsugekka (but only do the latter when Hagakure is not up) and Guren on CD. Otherwise, blow all that kenki on as many Shinten as you can.

Maybe the guy with the low Shinten count is using Kaiten way too much? Or it could just be the parser failing to catch skill use, I've seen that happen more than a few times. ("Parser said you didn't use Shadow Wall." "I loving did use Shadow Wall!" etc")

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

jalapeno_dude posted:

Yeah, it seems to be pretty useless unless you're gearing multiple combat jobs at the same time.

I'm not even bothering with EXDR at the moment because I just have the one 70 job and it's a DPS and I'd rather spend my hellqueue time in Omega because that actually gets me useful stuff. I'll probably start doing it again when I get another job to 66 or so.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hope the initial BLU quest has you finding a soulstone after killing a Marlboro or something. Quest giver can be a Hemet Nesingwary type figure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope blu mage is a tank so that my three main classes can be red white and blue mage

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope blu mage is a tank so that my three main classes can be red white and blue mage

It's imperative it is, so that you can have a full Light Party of -mage classes between Blue, White, Black, and Red.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think after I finally get to 70 on PLD tonight I'm gonna gird up and get a healer from 60 to 70. Need to choose between WHM and AST, and I can't :(

(e) or i could just keep leveling more dps classes starting with nin :suicide:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ast has prettier animations

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ciaphas posted:

I think after I finally get to 70 on PLD tonight I'm gonna gird up and get a healer from 60 to 70. Need to choose between WHM and AST, and I can't :(

(e) or i could just keep leveling more dps classes starting with nin :suicide:

Are you the most indecisive player in all Eorzea or something?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Countblanc posted:

It's imperative it is, so that you can have a full Light Party of -mage classes between Blue, White, Black, and Red.

magic boys make the noise

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eorzea, hell; I've got all of Hydaelyn on lock

(yes I am chronically bad at making and committing to decisions in most every aspect of my life and it's really loving annoying)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to have an insane meltdown if it isn't, for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SKULL.GIF posted:

altitis is a real condition and FFXIV makes it easier than ever