Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Gobbeldygook posted:

What Russian movie is this clip from?

http://ksyu1.tumblr.com/post/160034401084/aesthetic-of-truecrime-school-shooting-in

The page notes it's based on this school shooting but I can't find any evidence of a movie based on it.

The Student

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

oldpainless posted:

Angie tribeca?

Sounds plausible, I'll have to rewatch the first couple of episodes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boz0r posted:

I think I recall a movie or TV Show where some guys are having a meeting, and when the meeting is done, the camera zooms out, revealing that the captain or whatever is sitting in a bathtub, or on the toilet or something. Is this from anything?

The captain of the Golgafrinchan Ark B is always in the bath, but it's not in any way unobvious.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I suddenly remembered a VHS tape I saw a couple years ago, it was a horror anthology (I think it was maybe French?) with a story about a murderous Santa, and a story about a kid hunting Dracula.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I suddenly remembered a VHS tape I saw a couple years ago, it was a horror anthology (I think it was maybe French?) with a story about a murderous Santa, and a story about a kid hunting Dracula.

It's not French but the 70s Tales From the Crypt movie opens with a murderous Santa and has some vampire like monsters in other stories

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Retro Futurist posted:

It's not French but the 70s Tales From the Crypt movie opens with a murderous Santa and has some vampire like monsters in other stories

It's definitely not that, it was a no-budget DTV movie from the 80s or 90s.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's not part of an anthology. but when you say "Killer Santa" and "French", I think of this: 3615 code Père Noël

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You're almost for sure NOT talking about Goodbye 20th Century, but I like to bring that movie up anyway. It's weird.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I have two, one of which has been eluding me for decades (and has been posted in this thread years ago, with no success):

First one should be easy:

This was a 90s movie. The plot had the protagonists drugging and/or tying up security guards at a bank (I think) and taking their uniforms. Shortly after getting dressed, one of the protagonists gets a call on the guard's radio, asking where he is. His response is "I'm taking a dump," and when asked where his partner is, he says "He's taking a dump, too." Whoever's on the other end of the radio replies with "You're taking a dump together?" While I obviously don't remember what the movie was, I have a feeling it wasn't very good.

And the other one, which I saw on TV back around 2000 or so, and my brother immediately changed the channel once he realized I was interested. I've been wondering what this was for close to two decades now:

Some sort of 70s/80s scifi/fantasy movie. The scene I saw was of the storming of a castle that appeared to be located in the clouds. And at one point during this fight, a galley (as in, the type of boat, but this one's flying) shows up, and may turn the tide. I've been told this is Message from Space, but I've seen that and don't remember this scene.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Capn Jobe posted:

Some sort of 70s/80s scifi/fantasy movie. The scene I saw was of the storming of a castle that appeared to be located in the clouds. And at one point during this fight, a galley (as in, the type of boat, but this one's flying) shows up, and may turn the tide. I've been told this is Message from Space, but I've seen that and don't remember this scene.

Possibly Flash Gordon?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What is this from? Probably something I should know, but I can't place it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
That's it for sure, thanks!

Detective Thompson posted:

What is this from? Probably something I should know, but I can't place it.

Pax aeterna

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boz0r posted:

I think I recall a movie or TV Show where some guys are having a meeting, and when the meeting is done, the camera zooms out, revealing that the captain or whatever is sitting in a bathtub, or on the toilet or something. Is this from anything?

Blues Brothers sauna scene?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anyone think of a TV show whose theme song starts off with a descending minor melody played on set of bells or a glockenspiel?

Edit: Just realized I was thinking of the Daredevil theme.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 14, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's the black and white movie where the very last scene is a guy talking int oa radio microphone as the lights go out and saying "America, you're the last place in the world with your lights on, keep your lights on!"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the black and white movie where the very last scene is a guy talking int oa radio microphone as the lights go out and saying "America, you're the last place in the world with your lights on, keep your lights on!"

Foreign Correspondent

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks!

Another one, someone at a diner orders a sandwich, no mayo. They get the sandwich and there's mayo on it. They complain and the waitress takes the sandwich and wipes the mayo off on the edge of a counter or a table. I can't remember if she does it in front of the person that ordered or if she took it where she couldn't be seen and did it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Thanks!

Another one, someone at a diner orders a sandwich, no mayo. They get the sandwich and there's mayo on it. They complain and the waitress takes the sandwich and wipes the mayo off on the edge of a counter or a table. I can't remember if she does it in front of the person that ordered or if she took it where she couldn't be seen and did it.

That's actually a Geico commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eueyYOMCRuc

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Thanks!

Pretty sure that happened in an episode of Roseanne while Roseanne was working at the diner in the mall.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Boz0r posted:

Someone already mentioned Hitchhikers Guide, so it could be that.
However it could be the UK TV series, as when they crash on the planet there is a scene where they are having a meeting, with the captain in the bath.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Well, so it was. Thanks.

ProfessorMurder posted:

Pretty sure that happened in an episode of Roseanne while Roseanne was working at the diner in the mall.

Man, that sounds like something Roseanne would do. What a rascal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

happyhippy posted:

Someone already mentioned Hitchhikers Guide, so it could be that.
However it could be the UK TV series, as when they crash on the planet there is a scene where they are having a meeting, with the captain in the bath.

Here's the reveal on the ship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcQ7Z4bh5w&t=70s

Here he is after they crash on the planet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoPR2IA2Uk

It hasn't aged well. :smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I saw this as a kid on some local station and kep thinking of it now and then.

The movie has a roller coaster in a haunted house that at the end kills the people on it and spits out their skeletons. I think the main character was someone like Branden fraiser, and his dad is a crazy judge that's trying to kill him. I think...does any of this make sense?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

.does any of this make sense?

No, but it's Nothing but Trouble anyways

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw this as a kid on some local station and kep thinking of it now and then.

The movie has a roller coaster in a haunted house that at the end kills the people on it and spits out their skeletons. I think the main character was someone like Branden fraiser, and his dad is a crazy judge that's trying to kill him. I think...does any of this make sense?

thread favorite Nothing But Trouble

Retro Futurist posted:

No, but it's Big Trouble anyways

nuh-uh

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh god, I'm looking at the Wikipedia page for it. 8% on rotten tomatoes. Am I gonna watch this and discover the exact moment 80s comedy dies?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

No, but it's Nothing but Trouble anyways

I don't know what you're talking about :smugmrgw:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh god, I'm looking at the Wikipedia page for it. 8% on rotten tomatoes. Am I gonna watch this and discover the exact moment 80s comedy dies?

Nothing but trouble loving sucks

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

Nothing But Trouble is amazing for reasons you're not prepared for. In no way is it good, but I don't think it's forgettable in the least. I say watch it just because it's like an exercise in awful choices.

Just let the absurd choices wash over you and ask at any point "was I prepared for this in any way by what preceded it?". At one point you'll be watching Demi Moore, one year after Ghost, playing cards with two gigantic misshapen man babies and think back to the preceding hour and wonder how this is happening to you.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh...Oh God :stonk:

WHy the gently caress did Dan Aykroyd think a comedy version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a good idea?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BigRed0427 posted:

well, apparently you already saw it, so....
Keep an eye out for Tupac

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh...Oh God :stonk:

WHy the gently caress did Dan Aykroyd think a comedy version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a good idea?

apparently it all started with his idea for the judge's costume...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

...Was Dan Aykroyd ever a good writer/director? Because I will say this much, I am not forgetting Nothing But Trouble anytime soon.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

...Was Dan Aykroyd ever a good writer/director? Because I will say this much, I am not forgetting Nothing But Trouble anytime soon.

I think he's a fine writer in that several of my favorite 80s comedies have him among the writing teams. Spies Like Us, GB, Coneheads,Dragnet. It's entirely possible it's just crediting him for script tweaks but if he was in the writers room in a fan of his writing work.

His only directing job was Nothing But Trouble so he's 100% awful as a director.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nothing But Trouble is a fascinating artifact. It takes time aside for a full length music number by the actual Digital Underground, I mean drat. Richard Kelly could've made this thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Origami Dali posted:

Nothing But Trouble is a fascinating artifact. It takes time aside for a full length music number by the actual Digital Underground, I mean drat. Richard Kelly could've made this thing.

Speaking of which, drat, that dude is really a victim of his own success. Makes a sleeper hit/cult favourite with Donnie Darko, and follows it up with a movie (Southland Tales) that allegedly only makes sense if you've read the accompanying graphic novel.

I did love that dance scene with Moby's Memory Gospel playing, though. That was fantastic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of which, drat, that dude is really a victim of his own success. Makes a sleeper hit/cult favourite with Donnie Darko, and follows it up with a movie (Southland Tales) that allegedly only makes sense if you've read the accompanying graphic novel.

I did love that dance scene with Moby's Memory Gospel playing, though. That was fantastic.

Southland Tales is watchable without reading the GN. As I recall there's a few things you need to know, like why Boxer Santaros starts out where he does, but not too much that is vital.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

He wrote some of the more inspired sketches from the very original cast of Saturday Night Live. But of course that's sketch length comedy and not stuff that would sustain a feature film.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aykroyd is a great starter, but people like Ramis, Reitman, and even John Landis are essential for reeling in his stuff.

He's like an inoffensive Kurt Sutter. If you don't know what I mean, look up his original ideas for The Shield, or just compare The Shield (co-writer) to Sons of Anarchy (head writer/showrunner).

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Years ago I caught the end of a black and white Japanese period film, which involved a married woman whose husband was a samurai I think, and another samurai wanted her and tried to kill her husband in his bed, but the wife took his place and got killed. I'd like to find it again, but I have no idea of the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
This might be a hard one.

It had to do with a vaguely square-shaped desert prison where the inmates had collars around their necks that exploded if they crossed a certain boundary. There were also sand-fish that sliced off people's arms and legs pretty much randomly.

I might be confusing two movies that I saw as a child and mixing them together, though.

Roeben fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 19, 2017