Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I think after I finally get to 70 on PLD tonight I'm gonna gird up and get a healer from 60 to 70. Need to choose between WHM and AST, and I can't :(

(e) or i could just keep leveling more dps classes starting with nin :suicide:

do what i'm doing - level scholar :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

do what i'm doing - level scholar :unsmigghh:

Yesssssss, this :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Books are for nerds and I already hated Scholar long before they got shat upon from on high in SB :colbert:

... then again, leveling it would give me SMN 70 too and let me completely empty out leveling Casting gear from my armoury oh god :shepicide:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I still like SCH

Also I thought Ali really was the best female character in SB by far. She's confident, but she's also caring and has a dry wit. I'm still warming up to her brother, but I'll join the group saying he's interesting because he's so flawed.

I really liked having the light on characters other than the WoL in the MSQ this time around, too. It felt like the cast was stronger as a result.

The pacing loving sucks tho lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

I think after I finally get to 70 on PLD tonight I'm gonna gird up and get a healer from 60 to 70. Need to choose between WHM and AST, and I can't :(

Holy is the best spell in the game, and a joy to play in 50/60 roulette as a result. AST on the other hand is rolling the dice every time they queue for 50/60.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i will admit that i am levelling scholar solely because i already had it at 60 while my other healers are in the 30s. also i'm lazy and in low level stuff the fairy does my entire job for me

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'll throw my vote to AST because it's immensely satisfying to go into Diurnal Sect, pop Largese, then throw Aspected Benefic/Aspected Helios/Collective Unconscious on the tank and Time Dilation + Celestial Opposition to make the regens last 5 years.

Alternatively you give the Samurai an Extended Balance and use the two buff extenders for a solid minute and a half of balls to the walls DPS. Or give an Enhanced Arrow to a Monk/Ninja and laugh as they hit speed out of control.

AST has so much power. :unsmigghh:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Or give an Enhanced Arrow to a Monk/Ninja and laugh as they hit speed out of control.

Do it, I want a 1.5 second gcd.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are you the most indecisive player in all Eorzea or something?

No that's me

Ciaphas posted:

WHM is probably the "better" class and imo is less stressful to heal with because you pump out lots of heals very easily

AST has cards though and cards are cool, except for 5/6 of the time

I wish minor arcana was a 60 skill though, at least, because I really like the idea of it and it's a bummer to not have it for sync'd content

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
yoship more jump potions when?

i don’t want to level cnj

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I thought the jump potion limitation was only for 4.0 and lifted in 4.2 or whatever.

Also. I did not enjoy Stormbloods story. I echo pretty much everything said about the Scions, I don't care anymore and wish they would just go away. Every time they try and add personality to them, it sizzles out like a squeaker fart.

Just give me more Cid and Nero's Excellent Adventure.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yoship more jump potions when?

i don’t want to level cnj

dunno if you mean you wanna skip the 1-30 experience of cnj or level cnj to 60, but cnj is white mage, and the white mage booster will get you to 60 so its the same thing

personally i want a level skip potion that doesnt skip story quests, because i feel like experiencing the story as one giant lump after hitting 60 would be cool. i know they forced skip specifically because people would miss out on all the skills the quests give, and there are guaranteed to be a lot of people who never do them, just slam back a 60 potion then queue for 50/60

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Trasson posted:

Stop running Sastasha.

This is all in HW and stormblood dungeons!!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Jinh”" post="“474341211”"]
dunno if you mean you wanna skip the 1-30 experience of cnj or level cnj to 60, but cnj is white mage, and the white mage booster will get you to 60 so its the same thing

personally i want a level skip potion that doesnt skip story quests, because i feel like experiencing the story as one giant lump after hitting 60 would be cool. i know they forced skip specifically because people would miss out on all the skills the quests give, and there are guaranteed to be a lot of people who never do them, just slam back a 60 potion then queue for 50/60
[/quote]

I already boosted BRD and want more :kiddo:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I feel especially bad for anyone that boosted DRK, since as everyone has been echoing those quests are apparently baller. My poor DRK is still sitting at level 45. I just leveled PLD to 70 I don't need another tank stop tempting me!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Givin posted:

I thought the jump potion limitation was only for 4.0 and lifted in 4.2 or whatever.

Also. I did not enjoy Stormbloods story. I echo pretty much everything said about the Scions, I don't care anymore and wish they would just go away. Every time they try and add personality to them, it sizzles out like a squeaker fart.

Just give me more Cid and Nero's Excellent Adventure.

Stormblood has turned Cid into a giant pissbaby and I hate it. But Nero can stay.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm still pissy that Krile hasn't been involved in the FFV storyline.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dogsicle posted:

Stormblood has turned Cid into a giant pissbaby and I hate it. But Nero can stay.

Turned?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It occurs to me that Krile wearing an outfit with cat ears on it has got to be super racist in this world probably

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

It occurs to me that Krile wearing an outfit with cat ears on it has got to be super racist in this world probably

fat cat item description posted:

Despite convincing research by top academics from around the realm and beyond, most Miqo'te scholars refuse to believe that there may be some ancestral connection between their race and cats (fat or not).

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

shes not racist she has friends that are catgirl

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

What about fox ears?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Alright, so letting up on the shitposting for a bit, let me talk for a second about the different playstyles between healers. The way the three different healer job are designed enforces radically different ways about thinking about healing. At its core, in this game, healing is about finding the most efficient way to keep the party alive. The more efficient you are, the more free GCDs you have. The more free GCDs you have, the more rocks/broils/glowy lights you can throw during the good times, and the more you can extend yourself to cover for the party during bad times. So, when played appropriately, all three healers have a particular ethos to generating those free GCDs.

This is how I think about them:

White Mages have the most conceptually elegant gameplan. Their spells have the biggest numbers attached to them, and they have an extra mana conservation tool (Thin Air) which allows them to jam on their best spells without worrying about MP. If you have the best heals, you have to cast fewer of them to keep the party alive. If you have the best damaging spells, you get the most damage out of your free time. As a bonus, WHMs continue to make the best use out of I-can't-believe-it's-not-Divine-Seal, which only applies to spells and not healing abilities. But their downside isn't just that they "lack utility." White Mages have very few spells that aren't basic bars-go-up/bars-go-down spells. They can't sustain single-target heals on two targets at once the way AST (synastry) or SCH (fairy) can, which hurts them on Prey-style mechanics. They have difficulty healing on the move the way AST (lightspeed) or SCH (indom) can, which hurts them on dance-style mechanics. And they can't contribute to DPS checks in any meaningful way beyond throwing rocks. But man. Cure III is nice.

Scholars are the champions of "free" healing. They have the best options for healing without having to cast anything personally: lustrate and indom are powerful and easy-to-use, while the fairy can deliver incredible results without spending any mana or enmity. This makes them by far the best at healing while never taking their finger off the Broil key. On the flip side, their "non-free" healing options--physick, adlo, and succour--are extremely inefficient both in time and mana. If a scholar is ever forced to take their finger off their DPS spells, they suddenly become the most underwhelming healer by a long shot. Put concretely, a scholar is by far the best at healing the first (idk) 10000 damage (fairy cooldowns + indom + fairy regen ticks) but by far the worst at healing any damage above that threshold (impotently spamming succors) until their cooldowns come back. SCHs benefit from a co-healer who understand the limitations of their job, allowing them to allowing them to be the best at what they're good at instead of regretting what they don't have.

Astrologians are difficult to characterize because of their card mechanic. But practically speaking the correct use of Balance in raid content is pretty much always going to be Expanded Balance, and that's factored into the job's numbers already. There's a reason why AST has the lowest potencies on all of its attacking magic. Balance is broken in the context of coordinated speedrunning, where it can be lined up with burst windows, but most players and most groups can treat it as compensation for the ~400 dps loss you suffer from Malific III being shittier than Stone IV/Broil II. As a healer AST has a complete kit with drawbacks, which is likely a consequence of the fact that they were designed last and needed to complement both WHM and SCH. They have strong oGCD healing options that are somewhat difficult to use (compare Earthly Star to Indom, or Essential Dignity to Lustrate), and WHM-like GCD healing spells which can run them into mana difficulties easily. The most important skill for ASTs is to be able to recognize when they should be thinking like a WHM and when they should be thinking like a SCH, regardless of what sect they're currently in.

In conclusion, the best way to get good at playing your healer class is to spend some time in the others' shoes.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Nero is the best still-living, still-relevant NPC and I'm going to be sad when he inevitably snorts a pile of High Allagan nanomachines and turns into a raid boss.

Also, it's very important to note that AST has the prettiest animations of the three healers, and also that Earthly Star is right up there with Holy spam in terms of blinding everyone else in a dungeon/raid.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Godbert and the Gold Saucer are gonna be under fire if Viera ever spring into existence.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm going to have an insane meltdown if it isn't, for this reason.

{Same}

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gruckles posted:

Godbert and the Gold Saucer are gonna be under fire if Viera ever spring into existence.

if we don't see a Viera in return to ivalice I will buy a full scale replica of the RDM AF3 hat and eat it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah I dont believe it because the Aura dont think they are descendants of dragons and they probably are. Cat expansion will one day involve the dawn and dusk cats

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I suspect that something's going to happen to Ala Mihgo Castle to explain why Rhalgar's Reach is going to be the main hub for SB. I doubt that it'll be a :yokotaro:-scale gutpunch, but it'll be enough for the Resistance to go ":stare: yeeah, let's just stay in RR for the time being..."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
every time there's a scene with just my WoL Hien and Gosetsu it cracks me up because it just makes Hien look like a tiny small man

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I dont believe it because the Aura dont think they are descendants of dragons and they probably are. Cat expansion will one day involve the dawn and dusk cats

The au ra aren't related to dragons.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ciaphas posted:

Have we ever seen any Imperial Lalafells?

Biggs and Wedge were Garlean citizens (well, "citizens") like Cid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Brainamp posted:

The au ra aren't related to dragons.

the lore book all but directly states Azim and Nhaama are actually Bahamut and Tiamat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think it's just more likely that Eorzea is so intensely magical that all the humans began mutating into offshoots of humans. That seems more likely than dragon/cat/potato/giraffe descendants all ending up humanoid and also apparently able to cross-breed.

Blockhouse posted:

the lore book all but directly states Azim and Nhaama are actually Bahamut and Tiamat

Oh okay then.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

hobbesmaster posted:

^ sweet summer child... :allears: check in with the thread after the 2.55 content (you'll get a long cutscene warning"

Welp, here I am.

That's. Uh. That's a hell of a way to segue into an expansion.

Looking forward to seeing what new NPCs I find to replace all of my dead friends! I did really like the whole scene, I expected a couple of the Crystal Braves to be traitors, but the scale it was on was more than I'd suspected. I figured Yuyuhase and Laurentius, really, but Ilberd was a nice surprise, because he's a fantastic rear end in a top hat. ("It was me. :smuggo:")

I was iffy on the Ishgard plot, but it seems like the game is building towards something cool with it, and it looks like they aren't afraid to shake up the story status quo too much, so I've got high hopes for Heavensward. The only complaints I can really give for the ending of ARR were that the engine limitations made some of the animations a little lame (Raubahn's hand falling off) and that Minfilia's reason for staying behind was out of nowhere and not explained at all, like she was just getting yanked offstage by a cane.

Also I'm upset you can't craft Raubahn's murder face as a painting, because I want that in my apartment forever :allears:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So does the Lodestone not update often or what? I've been going there to find the servers of repeat PVP afkers for when I contact GMs and half the time the characters just don't appear at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

So does the Lodestone not update often or what? I've been going there to find the servers of repeat PVP afkers for when I contact GMs and half the time the characters just don't appear at all.

If you tell them what instance you were in, when you did it, what data center you are, and the character's name they have what they need. You don't need to figure out their server, the GM can do that.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cheetah7071 posted:

You can't tell me Matoya doesn't give Y'shtola poo poo every time her friend is out of earsight.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Bell_ posted:

You can't tell me Matoya doesn't give Y'shtola poo poo every time her friend is out of earsight.

I can't, because Matoya isn't shy about giving Y'shtola poo poo regardless of whose around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Blockhouse posted:

It doesn't.

Bahamut and Tiamat were on Merycidia for pretty much all of their lives, and were quite fond of eachother. They lived in peace with the inhabitants of the land until the Allagans attacked.

The Au Ra were created in the far East by Azim and Nhaama to fight their proxy war, as the two of them were bitter rivals in their quest to rule the new world.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 14, 2017