Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

Maybe I should just try an Xdiavel?

The engine definitely won't be poo poo. It's a power cruiser though, not exactly relaxed for putzing around town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The part about motorcycle CG position affecting stability "just like in a car" is dead wrong.

In a turn, a car experiences a centrifugal force "pushing" (it's a pseudoforce, yes, yada yada, but we're in the car's frame of reference) it outwards. Because the center of gravity of the car is always above the ground, this results in a torque that rolls the car to the outside of the turn. A higher CG means the force has a longer lever arm and thus applies more torque. Raise the CG too high and the car flips. The car relies on its mass, aerodynamic downforce, and stiff suspension to keep it level.

In a motorcycle, the centrifugal pseudoforce pushes the bike in the same way, wanting to flip it over to the outside. To counteract this, the entire vehicle is leaned inwards, shifting the center of gravity outside of the pivot point (the wheels). Gravity now pulls the bike into the turn with the same force as the centripetal force pushes it out. Increased centrifugal forces requires a steeper lean to allow the horizontal gravitational component to create a counterbalancing force. Leaning is required to turn, and the lean is in the opposite direction of a car.

Because turning in a motorcycle requires perfectly counterbalancing the centripetal force, the height of the center of gravity does not have the same effect as in a car. You could stick two hundred pounds of steel ten feet on a pole above the bike and it would still turn correctly; the lean angle for a given speed would just be different. What would be different is that the bike would feel less nimble, because the polar moment of inertia in the roll axis would be greatly increased. Basically it now takes a lot more force to change the angle of roll, because you have that large weight on a stick that you need to swing around. This applies at all angles -- so raising the CG actually makes a bike more stable in roll, and better at keeping itself upright.

When race bikes aim to have a low center of mass, it's not for increased stability, as in a car. It's for increased maneuverability -- decreased stability, in a sense -- that allows the bike to flip side to side more quickly.

What some people might mistake for instability is that, with a higher CG, if the bike starts to fall over at a stop it does take more force to push it back up. It's resistant to a change in orientation, regardless of what orientation it's in. When the vehicle is moving, though, that is a benefit.

If a cruiser feels stable at low speeds it's because it's heavy (more inertia = resistance to change of direction in all axes) or because their steering geometry is set up with large rake and trail, which produces a stronger self-centering effect. Or it's just psychology because people like being closer to the ground.

anyway just wanted to make that clear so we can counteract mr. sv650's misinformation :spergin:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 12, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

this is entirely wrong

Yo thanks again for effortposting at me about this way back. "Easier to stop from tipping over" is literally the same thing as "easy to tip over", which by any normal definition is what you'd call less stable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Doing my M2 course I kept getting stuck with a Rebel, and the feet forward position made me feel less stable than any of the other 3 types they had.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I saw (and heard) the new 900 Dorsoduro in the flesh today and I'm starting to change my mind about vaguely off-road-styled bikes, that thing is absolutely loving gorgeous. And now I really want to try out the Shiver 900.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I saw (and heard) the new 900 Dorsoduro in the flesh today and I'm starting to change my mind about vaguely off-road-styled bikes, that thing is absolutely loving gorgeous. And now I really want to try out the Shiver 900.

You can't help yourself, can you?

E: Day two of the Triumph, and I think it may be the best bike I've ever owned. The buziness was more me gripping the bars too tightly. It's so easy to ride around town thanks to the low end torque, and I quick stopped in front of some dude making a bad left and had enough time afterward to honk the horn because the brakes slowed me down so well. Transmission is super smooth, too, though I've had to coax it into first from neutral a couple times. Hoping an oil change helps with that.

It's so nice to have power available pretty much everywhere, too. You can shift it at car RPMs and still outpace everything else on the road. I wound it up a little on the freeway and the power just didn't stop. It's linear like a twin without running out of juice toward the top end.

And the weight makes it feel like a bicycle.

It's supposed to rain all weekend, which is a bummer because I wanted to take it out to the hills to kill myself.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 12, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yo thanks again for effortposting at me about this way back. "Easier to stop from tipping over" is literally the same thing as "easy to tip over", which by any normal definition is what you'd call less stable.

Not quite. Think about balancing a sledgehammer in your hand. If you put the heavy end up, the CG is very high, and, though it takes large deviations of your hand, it's easy to keep it stable, since it takes a long time for the instability to turn into a fall. If the heavy end is in your hand, then any time the handle starts to tip, it just goes right over, since, with the very low CG, it's hard to rapidly accelerate that mass adequately to stay under the tipping handle.

Heavy end up is much harder to stop from tipping over once it decides to do so, but much easier to keep it from getting to that point.

For confirmation, look at some of the inverse drag races that cyclegear does in their parking lot. Longest time across the parking lot is usually some dude on a naked or supermoto standing up on the pegs, moving like crazy with the bike squirming all over the place, but moving inches at a time. Conversely, the heavy cruiser is feathering the clutch and not falling over at all, but has to keep a decent speed because all that weight down low just falls the hell over when it starts to go.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jalopnik lanesplitter is pretty dumb. This is the same site that recommended buying a 15 year old 996
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/its-cheaper-to-maintain-a-ducati-than-you-think-1793896003

"The most important tool of the bunch is the timing belt tensioner gauge. The one pictured is the gauge specified in the Ducati service manual. Unfortunately, this gauge is no longer available for purchase"

wow so helpful

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Lanesplitter is the one that came out a couple years ago saying that they were changing the face of motorcycle journalism and now their main dude is gone and they have like one article a week.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fauxtool posted:

jalopnik lanesplitter is pretty dumb. This is the same site that recommended buying a 15 year old 996
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/its-cheaper-to-maintain-a-ducati-than-you-think-1793896003

"The most important tool of the bunch is the timing belt tensioner gauge. The one pictured is the gauge specified in the Ducati service manual. Unfortunately, this gauge is no longer available for purchase"

wow so helpful

I mean to be fair, Ducati ownership isn't for everyone, but I sure as poo poo would loving love to have a yellow 996. 10,000 mile valve jobs and all.
Then again, I've done enough timing belts on those things that I don't even need the tension gauge. I can just tune it like a guitar string.

The point still stands that lanesplitter is pretty retarded though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sean MacD was pretty good, but I think he jumped ship right around the time of the whole Gawker Media fiasco.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

Sean MacD was pretty good, but I think he was let go right around the time of the whole Gawker Media fiasco.

ftfy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean to be fair, Ducati ownership isn't for everyone, but I sure as poo poo would loving love to have a yellow 996. 10,000 mile valve jobs and all.
Isn't it 6k miles? And takes about 12 hours?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Isn't it 6k miles? And takes about 12 hours?

I mean if you want to do it the RIGHT way you're supposed to remove the heads and lap the valves every 6k. Hellooooooo $150 head gasket!
If you're an easy rider you can double that interval and still be fine.

Edit: and yeah it takes like 10-12 hours

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Deeters posted:

Sean MacD was pretty good, but I think he jumped ship right around the time of the whole Gawker Media fiasco.

His tenure at CycleWorld has been so-so, but I may just feel that way because of his hipster proclivities. Either way he's in dire need of a copy editor.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean if you want to do it the RIGHT way you're supposed to remove the heads and lap the valves every 6k. Hellooooooo $150 head gasket!
If you're an easy rider you can double that interval and still be fine.

Edit: and yeah it takes like 10-12 hours

What the hell. It's a pain to just adjust and they want you to crack open the engine and do some light machining?! gently caress that noise forever.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just looked back at his goodbye article and somehow missed the entire thing about getting laid off. Whoops.

Jazzzzz posted:

His tenure at CycleWorld has been so-so, but I may just feel that way because of his hipster proclivities. Either way he's in dire need of a copy editor.

Honestly, I don't read CycleWorld that much. His Instagram has been entertaining and he seems self-aware of the hipster stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then again, I've done enough timing belts on those things that I don't even need the tension gauge. I can just tune it like a guitar string.

The point still stands that lanesplitter is pretty retarded though.

Having ridden one now, yes yes yes. Horrible ergos but the best feels/engine ever for a street bike.

Coydog posted:

What the hell. It's a pain to just adjust and they want you to crack open the engine and do some light machining?! gently caress that noise forever.

~~~Desmo~~~

To be fair on the old 916 engines the head gaskets were like $30 but then they went and switched to MLS ones for the later models and hosed everybody.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Having ridden one now, yes yes yes. Horrible ergos but the best feels/engine ever for a street bike.

It's true. For some reason I still much prefer it over the 999 which has only slightly less terrible ergo.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Why is it so hard to get a shock?

Company A: responds to email inquiry with "here's an illegible six page Excel spreadsheet, figure out what you need and let us know!"

Company B: didn't respond to email for a week, I sent another email, got a response, had multiple phone calls, finally got word everything is sorted/calculated and they can take my payment info for a shock. A week after giving a credit card on the phone, no word, no charges on card, just silence.

Company C: five weeks after initial contact, finally get a shock ordered, it shows up and it's the wrong length. Call them back, find out this company is probably closing their doors forever in a month and can't fix their mistake. :cripes: Got a refund, so a free useless shock.

Company D: they want the existing shock in hand before making a new one.

:shepicide:

At this rate I'll buy a six pack of Progressive shocks and keep cycling them out when they die after a season or two.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Skier posted:

Company A: responds to email inquiry with "here's an illegible six page Excel spreadsheet, figure out what you need and let us know!"

Company B: didn't respond to email for a week, I sent another email, got a response, had multiple phone calls, finally got word everything is sorted/calculated and they can take my payment info for a shock. A week after giving a credit card on the phone, no word, no charges on card, just silence.

Company C: five weeks after initial contact, finally get a shock ordered, it shows up and it's the wrong length. Call them back, find out this company is probably closing their doors forever in a month and can't fix their mistake. :cripes: Got a refund, so a free useless shock.

At this rate I'll buy a six pack of Progressive shocks and keep cycling them out when they die after a season or two.

Buy a dirt bike. Cheap, accessible shocks for miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's true. For some reason I still much prefer it over the 999 which has only slightly less terrible ergo.

The 999 also has an objectively better engine and is IMO equally good looking but it feels way too track focused and stiff and twitchy and just generally isn't a good road bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skier posted:

Hey, at least you got a few shock you can ebay right?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skier posted:

What kind of unicorn do you ride??
I see, 990.

Welcome back by the way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Hey guys. Bikes are real dangerous. Mmmmkay?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

Hey guys. Bikes are real dangerous. Mmmmkay?

And?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Had to layerdan. :clint:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's why I never use the front brake🚨🏍🚨

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skier posted:

What kind of bike do you have? HJL mentions a 990 - as in KTM? SuperDuke, Adventure?

Who gave you the impossible-to-decipher spreadsheet, Racetech?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

That's why I never use the front brake🚨🏍🚨

It was that, or end up inside of a cage!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

Had to layerdan. :clint:

Did you? Hot dang. Well, at least your ok.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

Did you? Hot dang. Well, at least your ok.

We can evaluate after I scrub the rash out in the shower.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Chichevache hope you clean up well. :ohdear:

Jazzzzz posted:

What kind of bike do you have? HJL mentions a 990 - as in KTM? SuperDuke, Adventure?

Who gave you the impossible-to-decipher spreadsheet, Racetech?

It's for the sidecar on my Triumph Scrambler. Uses an off-the-shelf Progressive 412 with a lighter spring.

Nitron gave me the spreadsheet with every image describing what measurements they need completely unusable even after tweaking them.

Rumor has it the sidecar manufacturer has used Hagons in the past, might call 'em up and see if they have one on hand.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So you really DO dump your bikes right there on the road when you are done with them, huh? Glad you are ok. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

So you really DO dump your bikes right there on the road when you are done with them, huh? Glad you are ok. :(

It was the longest walk of shame in my life. :qq:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Coydog posted:

Yeah I told him in messenger that he needs to stop escalating his bike woes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well, you're posting about it so I guess you're ok. Hope it's just an injury to your pride.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drat, that sucks. The ZRX? Is it badly damaged?

I mean, uh, I hope you're okay and all that. Glad you're not dead.

But what about the bike man

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Well, you're posting about it so I guess you're ok. Hope it's just an injury to your pride.

He's attempting to become a jack booted thug, he doesn't have any pride left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

drat, that sucks. The ZRX? Is it badly damaged?

I mean, uh, I hope you're okay and all that. Glad you're not dead.

But what about the bike man

That was seriously my first thought.:hfive: I heal, the bike does not. :negative:

Rode it home. Damage to the headlight shroud and the engine casing. Nothing too bad, but I am scared that I will find a puddle of oil in the morning. :ohdear: The hardest part will be replacing that beautiful blue paint.

Flikken posted:

He's attempting to become a jack booted thug, he doesn't have any pride left.

I just wish I knew who did it, so I could hunt them down and administer justice. :cop: