Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

berth ell pup posted:

In lovely neighborhoods at least in nc/ga/tn the wheels lock at the edge of the parking lot to keep people from stealing them but yeah it seems that would create piles of carts if that's what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVo2ss5qoiY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man, it sounds like you work for a company that specializes in doing all the really boring stuff that the other airport employees don't want to do. That blows. You work at an airport in Alaska? I guess that explains why you don't have the golf cart things, but I've seen them at most major airports.

Just take the TSA training course you get government bennies and AFAIK you barely even need a GED

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kelp Me! posted:

Man, it sounds like you work for a company that specializes in doing all the really boring stuff that the other airport employees don't want to do. That blows. You work at an airport in Alaska? I guess that explains why you don't have the golf cart things, but I've seen them at most major airports.

Just take the TSA training course you get government bennies and AFAIK you barely even need a GED

I've read somewhere that the TSA is the perfect job for the near-terminally stupid, because you are actively required to follow all instructions no matter how stupid, take everything absolutely literally, and have no concern for others. And being racist helps.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've read somewhere that the TSA is the perfect job for the near-terminally stupid, because you are actively required to follow all instructions no matter how stupid, take everything absolutely literally, and have no concern for others. And being racist helps.

I don't really care about dumb TSA workers nearly as much as I care about TSA workers that think their job actually does anything beyond making suburban moms feel safe getting on an airplane. The FBI audited the TSA and was able to get literally 96% of their agents carrying plastic explosives through security undetected.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Many years ago as a teen I worked in an outdoors shop. It was largely unremarkable, but super boring.

One day, though, we had a woman come in. She looked a bit weird but I didn't notice anything openly strange because she glided past me to the shoe section.

A couple minutes later she emerged at the desk and throws a pair of crocs on the table. She was the most disgusting human being I have ever seen.

Thinning grey wispy short hair, weird bloody sores on top of her head. A solitary tooth in her mouth, teetering precariously from her top gum. Clumps of fuzzy hair on her cheeks, dark against the white of her head. She smelled atrocious, and her clothes were soiled.

I am gagging and kind of terrified, a 16 year old boy faced with the womanly Other.

She croaked:

"SHOES, TWENNY QUID. SHOES. TWENNY QUID."

I had no idea how much they cost, but just took the money cause I wanted her to get the gently caress out of my shop, which she blessedly did.

One minute later I hear screams outside the shop. She is standing over a ten year old girl, roaring in her face. The girl is crying and crying. The poor kids mother dashes over to her out of another shop, and whisks her away.

I tell my manager about the story, says the woman came in and tried on some wellies a couple months ago. Apparently her legs were covered in sores too. She tried on four pairs and bought none. They threw them all away, combined loss of £80.

As a kid I was disgusted, but now I am kind of sad. I wonder what she was like as a kid.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

Basically, yeah. Most of the "OMG SCANDALOUS" videos you see of TSA agents patting down small children or making mothers sample their own breast milk to prove it's really milk, in most cases the agents have just had the regulations drilled into their heads non-stop and also know full well that "common sense" is not a defense against being fired for not doing the job.

I mean, "I was just following orders to the letter" is historically not a great defense, but I doubt that "doing a full adult-level patdown on a 6-year-old" was an intentionally malicious decision on the part of the bored TSA agent counting minutes until his next break.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kelp Me! posted:

Basically, yeah. Most of the "OMG SCANDALOUS" videos you see of TSA agents patting down small children or making mothers sample their own breast milk to prove it's really milk, in most cases the agents have just had the regulations drilled into their heads non-stop and also know full well that "common sense" is not a defense against being fired for not doing the job.

I mean, "I was just following orders to the letter" is historically not a great defense, but I doubt that "doing a full adult-level patdown on a 6-year-old" was an intentionally malicious decision on the part of the bored TSA agent counting minutes until his next break.

Something about Nazi's and Hitler. Need to start taking them to court and throwing them in jail.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I don't work in Alaska, I meant Alaska Airlines, but I have considered working for the TSA. I'll probably be quitting this job in a month or so but really I want something not at the airport because I spend about 4 hours commuting every day and being at the airport all day long can be draining as hell sometimes.

For a story, I just remembered something from my last job which was running payroll and background checks at a petitioning office. This is about an employee though since we don't have customers, and I wasn't directly involved but this lady was a complete pain. One of the first days she's out petitioning was with a group, and they had headed out to a city an hour or so drive away from where they lived, and the driver told everybody he had to leave at a specific time. When it rolled around, she started arguing with him and trying to stop him from leaving because she wanted to keep working, pretty tame stuff, but eventually he really had to go and her and her friend were the only ones who wouldn't leave, so he left em. We found all this out after calling and talking to him and a couple other people who were there, because afted all this happened she called us and said he stranded everybody there and wouldn't let anybody come with him and left 2 hours early.
Prior to this, she had called the secretary of state's office to badger them about her friend's petitioning badge, which had been stalled for a couple days by some issue with the background check, so we ended up getting a complaint from that office about her and it could have made big trouble for us in expediting the hiring process. Near the deadline of the petition, she had turned in very little signatures, and had been told multiple times that they had to be turned in before a specific/day so they were still valid, but there was a large chunk of paper she said she had and never turned in, so the last pay check rolls around and of course she didn't get paid because we have no proof she worked. She was pissed and said we owed her even more than if she had turned them in, and she eventually did turn in a bunch of incomplete pages with no signature from her and no date, making them basically useless because everything was already over, they were long invalid and we didn't know when she did them and there was no way for us to confirm if they were real. She tried yelling at our manager in her city over it but there was absolutely nothing he could do about it anyway.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't really care about dumb TSA workers nearly as much as I care about TSA workers that think their job actually does anything beyond making suburban moms feel safe getting on an airplane. The FBI audited the TSA and was able to get literally 96% of their agents carrying plastic explosives through security undetected.

:911:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Munchables posted:

e: this might be better suited to an A/T thread or something, so if you guys don't want this stuff in here I'll butt out

Sorry for the double post but I've been meaning to address this. it's not a big deal if you need to add clarification for what it is you do if people need context. your second post is more in the spirit of the thread, but questions and following discussion are always going to happen and that's fine by me. Anyway, I've been meaning to amend the OP since there have been one or two questions about what should and shouldn't be posted in this thread

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Cracked's readers recently contributed stories that would fit right in in this thread for today's "photoplasty" Right Here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Choco1980 posted:

Cracked's readers recently contributed stories that would fit right in in this thread for today's "photoplasty" Right Here

I hope #24 ate and/or released the crabs.

Edit: Russia is the new Florida, apparently.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Whats the deal with all these people making GBS threads everywhere

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Whats the deal with all these people making GBS threads everywhere

Yeah. I mean, I could understand the toilet being nasty after a messy poo poo. Short of intentional poop spreading, though, how does anyone get it anywhere other than the toilet. That's the part that confuses me.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Shaddak posted:

Yeah. I mean, I could understand the toilet being nasty after a messy poo poo. Short of intentional poop spreading, though, how does anyone get it anywhere other than the toilet. That's the part that confuses me.

Most of these people are homeless or elderly/mentally ill (or children apparently) unaccompanied by aids. We've had to kick out at least one homeless guy because he smelled like he was just literally crapping himself all of the time.

If an incredibly irate middle-class middle age house wife took a poo poo on the floor in response to not getting the discount she wanted though that would be just icing on the cake at that point.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can any of you tell if someone who, to a person who doesn't work a service job, looks like they might not have money but does?

For example, I saw a guy walking around a store the other day in a t-shirt and shorts, but he had on a 200 dollar pair of shoes (I only know about the expensive shoes because I have a pair). Otherwise he just looked like a bum.

And does that (whether the person has money, or not) affect their service?

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
People poo poo everywhere in public restrooms because they have the tendency to hover-rear end above the bowl. This causes the turds to blast all over the back and sides of the seat/stall.

Women are the greatest culprits of hover-rear end because they are fine connisours of toilet seat hygiene. Or they assume that since they themselves blast the stall with piss/poo poo, everyone else must have clearly done the same.

A never ending defecation circle starts again.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Women are so disgusting.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I watched a guy stare at his dog pissing on the carpet 2 feet from the pet relief room. I've seen dog poo poo and possibly human poo poo on the carpet here. Everything is poo poo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've worked in retail for nearly 14 years, all at the same supermarket, and I have precisely 2 poo poo stories.

Once I found a smear of dog poo poo near the entrance, and once I found a full diaper tucked behind one of the coke fridges at the registers.

Ask me about the 2 seperate instances of attempted suicide that happened in our store though. (Both customers). And another 5 or so in and around the mall we're in.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Telephones posted:

Women are so disgusting.

I used to work maintenance in college dorms. I got to see a lot of people's rooms while they were away over Christmas, in their natural state. While there were a lot of cluttered goon cave guy's rooms, the really nauseating ones were all women's.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only time I had to verbally yell at someone in my store was a mom who brought in a five year old and quickly walked to the back corner to change his shorts because he poo poo himself. The public restroom wasn't even that far away.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
People who dump diapers might be the only group I get legit enraged by; you had a kid, that means you're in charge of disposing of the kid's poo poo properly, even if you have to carry it around with you until an appropriate (NOT THE TOILET) disposal location is found. loving the worst.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

The Lord Bude posted:

I've worked in retail for nearly 14 years, all at the same supermarket, and I have precisely 2 poo poo stories.

Once I found a smear of dog poo poo near the entrance, and once I found a full diaper tucked behind one of the coke fridges at the registers.

Ask me about the 2 seperate instances of attempted suicide that happened in our store though. (Both customers). And another 5 or so in and around the mall we're in.

Tell us about the people that suicide in supermarkets

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Evil Agita posted:

Well, about 5 years ago, a grossly inconsiderate lady decided to jump off the rooftop carpark, and landed directly in front of our receiving door, blocking deliveries. Our first aid attendant had to tend to her until the paramedics arrived. She invariably picked that spot because the door itself is at ground level, and there is a driveway running up to it lower than ground level. so that trucks can back in and have their cargo area level with the floor of the back dock, so that spot is the highest point to jump from. Unfortunately it's still only like 2.5 floors, so it's not high enough to be fatal, she just got a bit mushed.

The other incident was about 12 years ago - a customer grabbed on of the kitchen knives from our kitchenware aisle and attempted to disembowel themselves Japanese style, but couldn't finish - presumably they hadn't realised that sticking a kitchen knife into your gut and rummaging around with it really loving hurts.

Our store is directly across the street from what is probably the biggest public hospital in Australia, and is also the major mental health ward in the state, so we have a lot of crazy people. The Hospital seems to let patients wander freely - it's not uncommon to see crazy people wandering the store in hospital gowns. the pharmacy in our shopping centre also operates a methadone clinic.

Also across the street from us is a large carpark belonging to the hospital, it's probably a good ten storeys high. every year or so you get a jumper, or attempted jumper.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Evil Agita posted:

edit:

The Lord Bude posted:

Our store is directly across the street from what is probably the biggest public hospital in Australia

what would you say is the number one most shoplifted item in your store?

ladron fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 14, 2017

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The Lord Bude posted:

I've worked in retail for nearly 14 years, all at the same supermarket

I'm so sorry :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ladron posted:

edit:

what would you say is the number one most shoplifted item in your store?

Probably fruit from the basket of free fruit that we have at the entrance which is supposed to only be for young children.

A more serious answer is probably confectionary, batteries, vitamins, razor blades, condoms and voltaren. Occasionally also entire carts of groceries. (They just walk casually out through the entrance with them)

We're in a dodgy area, and our company decided a couple of years ago that having those one way gates at the entrance wasn't inviting enough so our entry way is completely open now.

Also we only employ a security guard for 15 hours per week.

Management at my store has always been pretty strict about cashiers enforcing the mandatory bag search policy though, so honestly aside from big incidents it isn't as bad as it could be.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spacetoaster posted:

Can any of you tell if someone who, to a person who doesn't work a service job, looks like they might not have money but does?

For example, I saw a guy walking around a store the other day in a t-shirt and shorts, but he had on a 200 dollar pair of shoes (I only know about the expensive shoes because I have a pair). Otherwise he just looked like a bum.

I think a goon who worked for a car dealership said that they always looked at the shoes.

They said that often the really rich dressed like bums, but had 500 dollar shoes.

Also, a lot of people would flaunt a really expensive watch, but the 20 dollar shoes were a give away that they didn't actually have a lot of money.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

spacetoaster posted:

I can't, other than finding out you can't really tell and never assume. Not really retail, but I owned an automotive repair shop for many years in Silicon Valley, and the amount of well-dressed guys with fairly nice cars who whined incessantly about the bill while spreading to cost over three maxed out credit cards was only eclipsed by the number of scroungy dudes with old cars who didn't even blink at the cost and cheerfully unrolled hundred-dollar bills off of a wad the size of my fist.

Even the shoe-thing doesn't always work because people donate expensive clothes to thrift shops and such, plus fakes are often cheap/common.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Starman Super DX posted:

If an incredibly irate middle-class middle age house wife took a poo poo on the floor in response to not getting the discount she wanted though that would be just icing on the cake at that point.

Never underestimate a soccer mom when poo is in play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Hv05BXQAU

Pro tip - don't throw dog poo poo at a cop.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Never underestimate a soccer mom when poo is in play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Hv05BXQAU

Pro tip - don't throw dog poo poo at a cop.
:eyepoop:
Entitlement really does know no bounds. What an age we live in

Also, content! Just when I thought I wouldn't have a customer pooping story.

around ten minutes to closing on Tuesday night, my coworker was closing the store (I was not present) and went into the bathroom to make sure it was empty. It was not. On the floor was a man, passed out, an empty bottle of cupcake brand wine beside him. They had to call the cops to haul him off. Apparently he had been passed out in there for four hours. My manager suggests he had been in the stall but still. The thing that really amuses me is that this individual neither savvy enough just take the bottle and go or coherent enough to gather himself up and slip out after the fact.
And yes, he took a poo poo in the urinal

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Starman Super DX posted:

cupcake brand wine

Please tell me that's just the brand and it isn't actually cupcake flavored wine.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

Please tell me that's just the brand and it isn't actually cupcake flavored wine.

Just a brand, fortunately.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Worked in a theater when I was in High school. One night I was behind the counter in concessions doing my normal duties of popping popcorn and selling overpriced candy. A middle aged woman came up to me and asked for a refill. I took her soda cup and threw it in the trash because it was stated company policy to give them a new cup. She turns to me and in the most condescending tone asks me "Haven't you heard of the rain forest?". Being a skinny teen I simply responding with a meek "yes?" "RECYCLE REDUCE REUSE!"... she screams, like I was villain in a episode of Captain Planet. Then, inexplicably, she throws the new cup of soda at my feet and storms off back to her movie. I didn't even get to tell her my grandfather owned a paper company :(

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

spacetoaster posted:

Ive had friends that worked at high end dealerships and ones a car broker and both say the khaki pants and a faded polo shirt with a hole in it is a guy dropping cash that day.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 20, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I had a delivery driver get confused that my house has two front doors and he wouldnt give me my food (gf ordered). I offered to get her card and gave him the order again, but he just started looking real nervous and sort of stammered that i came out of the wrong house. So i told him to call his boss and see what i need to give him as proof (he was obviously new) and id wait, no biggie, and he just turns around and walks back to his car. I feel pretty bad about this last part but it just kinda slipped out and i was like "what the gently caress is wrong with you" but i guess he was already nervous and at this point hes visibly scared and shaky and nearly hits my car leaving cause he put it in drive instead of reverse.

They called me like 5 mins later and i didnt know what to say. I just gave it to them verbatim and they apologized and sent him back, which i thought was pretty hosed up i told them not to and thought we agreed, and they sent him anyways. I mean thats kinda disregarding the drivers safety imo, i didnt intend to do anything but they dont know that. I was kinda mad thinking maybe this company is so poo poo they treat their drivers like garbage and hes a neurotic mess because of it. Maybe he was just really dumb and thought it was an elaborate burrito heist based on misdirection and inside knowledge? I didnt take off of his tip or anything but its been bugging me how weird it was.

Has anybody worked for these services? Are they neurotic about loss prevention in the food delivery app industry, and do they treat their drivers like poo poo?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

have you ever seen a customers kid throw such a belligerent shitfit that you can't but to admire the kids spirit?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Had to ask a little kid to "please don't drink that, it's mine" yesterday while I was pulling her mom's espresso. Not a bad experience, but fully triggered my terror of interacting with customer's small children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I really hope that 'pulling her espresso' isn't a euphemism.

• Locked thread