Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, "Secret Empire leads into Generations via some sort of "VANISHING POINT" was something Marvel straight up announced almost a month ago so I don't think you need to be an inside leaker to have said something about that.

The only concrete thing so far is that "TheWhisperer" said Al Ewing was on Spirits of Vengeance, and he's not. It's Victor Gischler.

Ah, then it's bullshit then.

EDIT: Also, I do love how Alonso was like "No no, this isn't an alternate reality or time travel story." and yet it basically is. Not that I mind, like... what else was generations going to be? We'll always have the glory of Jean Grey being her own Legacy Hero. Young Jean Grey from the past time traveled to the present, the legacy of Old Jean Grey, who presumably lived everything YJG did minus the time travel.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

SilverSupernova posted:

Is Havok still inverted from Axis? I stopped following him after that so I have no clue.

Who loving knows - I was sort of following Iron-Man after Axis when he was still a dick, got busy and fell off, and then apparently they just ignored that it was never resolved (or was it Secret Wars and incursion fuckery? I can't remember). Like anything in comics, it seems to be there for them to sweep under the rug, or use as a linchpin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Donde Esta posted:

Who loving knows - I was sort of following Iron-Man after Axis when he was still a dick, got busy and fell off, and then apparently they just ignored that it was never resolved (or was it Secret Wars and incursion fuckery? I can't remember). Like anything in comics, it seems to be there for them to sweep under the rug, or use as a linchpin.

Iron Man was definitely still axis switched when the final incursion happened at least in The Avengers books.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Inverted Tony and old Steve died at the end of Avengers/ beginning of Secret Wars.

Then there was a small reset to 1 year ago. I suppose the writers really wanted to bring back original Tony but keep around old Steve. It makes sense because then Marvel got to publish Captain America: Sam Wilson and Captain America: Steve Rogers concurrently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Billzasilver posted:

Inverted Tony and old Steve died at the end of Avengers/ beginning of Secret Wars.

Then there was a small reset to 1 year ago. I suppose the writers really wanted to bring back original Tony but keep around old Steve. It makes sense because then Marvel got to publish Captain America: Sam Wilson and Captain America: Steve Rogers concurrently.

Well, aside from the 8 or so people on the life raft, everyone died at the end of Avengers. It's really inconsistent what happens during the build up to Secret Wars still happens, Steve is no longer inverted and it's at least not public knowledge that the Illuminati built doomsday and were at least complicit in interdimensional genocide, but Squadron Supreme still knows Namor blew up Not the DC Universe. Ms Marvel notes that everyone thought the world was gonna end so most of the stuff building up to Last Days should still have happened.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Donde Esta posted:

I have no clue for Firestar, but Havok is a dumb one to get hung-up on. Guy's brother died and he nearly died himself because of the Terrigen cloud -- I hardly expect him to be the poster-boy of equity and rationality toward the Inhumans, especially if he's being pushed.

BrianWilly posted:

It's especially lovely that apparently the bar for whether it makes sense for characters to become actual fascists now is so low that you basically meet the criteria if you were kinda shady and irritable one day or something?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had to buy it

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BrianWilly posted:

It's especially lovely that apparently the bar for whether it makes sense for characters to become actual fascists now is so low that you basically meet the criteria if you were kinda shady and irritable one day or something?
I mean, all of this round of characters you're bitching about believe they are the defense crew for an independent mutant state that explicitly broke away from the fascist United States of HYDRA and they are (reluctantly!) trying to stop the Teen X-Men because again, the teen X-Men kind of broke into the Independent Non Fascist Mutant Nation's prison and released ALL of the prisoners because I guess they seem to suspect that things are not what they seem, which I mean they are correct, but you're really lowering the bar for "actual fascists" when it's someone reluctantly upholding the rule of law for a country they do not realize is secretly in collaboration with fascists. I mean by this standard, anyone who's been a cop or SHIELD agent in the Marvel Universe at any point in publication history has been an ACTUAL FASCIST.

It's still a dumb lovely story, don't get me wrong.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

New Tian itself is a fascist state.

(From Secret Empire: United)

Havok, Firestar, and Wolfsbane (and others) don't have to know their mutant government is working for Hydra when the mutant government itself is no different from Hydra.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure there were people in Vichy France that honestly thought they weren't a puppet of the Nazi regime.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

(From Secret Empire: United)

Havok, Firestar, and Wolfsbane (and others) don't have to know their mutant government is working for Hydra when the mutant government itself is no different from Hydra.

It's almost as if you can have Spencer point and say:. "Look! Even the mutants (minorities, nebulous other) is just as bad when put in power! No one should do anything ever cause deep down we are all facsists!"

I'm still of the mind set that a Remender or Aaron, or gently caress even Bendis written Magneto would be waging a huge loving war against Nazsteve all by himself and or keeping New Tian from going that direction at all.

I know I know I continuously harp on how Magneto should or wouldn't be doing stuff, but gently caress me it's true! He straight up gibbed Red Skull to kick off Axis without hesitation. Why the gently caress would he be different here?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 14, 2017

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Venom has an Eddie Brock/Moon Girl team-up. I never knew I needed this. :getin:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, right, so everyone is a fascist. This is also a separate book and Secret Empire has just as much "no one set ground rules" whiplash as Civil War did, but okay, cool. Literally everyone is a fascist.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Jiro posted:

It's almost as if you can have Spencer point and say:. "Look! Even the mutants (minorities, nebulous other) is just as bad when put in power! No one should do anything ever cause deep down we are all facsists!"

I'm still of the mind set that a Remender or Aaron, or gently caress even Bendis written Magneto would be waging a huge loving war against Nazsteve all by himself and or keeping New Tian from going that direction at all.

I know I know I continuously harp on how Magneto should or wouldn't be doing stuff, but gently caress me it's true! He straight up gibbed Red Skull to kick off Axis without hesitation. Why the gently caress would he be different here?

Why? He spent a majority of his existence claiming superiority over humans. He never seemed to have had a problem with fascism, and for most of his history, he was exactly that character you described in your first paragraph. His response to being thrown in a concentration camp was to intensify his tribalism and lash out at humans.

Even HydraCap, who hands him Brown-Coat-wearing Red Skull's head in a box, acknowledges that at best, such a gesture delays the inevitable. Magneto will come for him, not out of benevolence, but because he believes he should be there and in that seat as the superior being.

Edit: I'll be the first to admit that Magneto is a wildly inconsistent character in the Marvel Universe and they can't decide if he's anti-hero/hero/self-preservationist/savior/idealist/pragmatist or what.

Donde Esta fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 14, 2017

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

You make it sound one guy got cut in line and woke-up the next morning thinking "Gee, I should really polish up my evil doer jackboots today." I mean, Nazi Germany just all woke up one morning and decided they were going to gently caress the world, right?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know comic civilians (especially Marvel's) have memories so short they would make a Goldfish blush, but after Secret Empire finishes up is everyone just gonna go back to normal like nothing happened after a Nazi wizard cult ran the country for several months or California seceded and was run as a mutant supremacist state? The obvious answer is they'll just reset the universe/mindwipe everyone again but they've done that so much lately it's getting ridiculous to be invested in any story when they say it was the equivalent of "All A Dream" anytime something of consequence happens.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Magneto is still trying to lay low and let people think he's dead. He's sending his team out to do what they can.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Donde Esta posted:

Why? He spent a majority of his existence claiming superiority over humans. He never seemed to have had a problem with fascism, and for most of his history, he was exactly that character you described in your first paragraph. His response to being thrown in a concentration camp was to intensify his tribalism and lash out at humans.

Even HydraCap, who hands him Brown-Coat-wearing Red Skull's head in a box, acknowledges that at best, such a gesture delays the inevitable. Magneto will come for him, not out of benevolence, but because he believes he should be there and in that seat as the superior being.

Edit: I'll be the first to admit that Magneto is a wildly inconsistent character in the Marvel Universe and they can't decide if he's anti-hero/hero/self-preservationist/savior/idealist/pragmatist or what.

are you really questioning why magneto would want to beat up nazis or people helping nazis. even if he was still full on brotherhood of evil mutants magneto, he'd be against nazis because he's magneto

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean by this standard, anyone who's been a cop or SHIELD agent in the Marvel Universe at any point in publication history has been an ACTUAL FASCIST.

This isn't as ridiculous a statement as you probably think it is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Manatee Cannon posted:

are you really questioning why magneto would want to beat up nazis or people helping nazis. even if he was still full on brotherhood of evil mutants magneto, he'd be against nazis because he's magneto
I think the argument here is that Magneto has many ideological touchstones in common with the Nazis even if he hates the actual historical Nazis for many and abundant good reasons. If nothing else he is a separatist/supremacist for mutants (I hesitate to say whether people should say 'race,' 'ethnicity' or 'species' and I don't think Marvel has made this clear at any point).

Magneto opposes Nazis, which is good - but this does not make Magneto's ideology right. If you want to be clever you could see things like "Magneto is right, he hates Nazis so he's OK in my book," and so on, are actually demonstrations of how seductive this style of thinking and arguing can be. It is really easy for us to say these things because mutants are not real, of course.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Donde Esta posted:

You got that a little backwards. Steve gives Magneto RS's head but pretty much says "Look, officially speaking, I'm not giving you California... but I'm giving you California, because I don't wanna deal with you guys' poo poo while I'm enacting my evil takeover. But sooner or later, I'm coming to take it back because my people will demand it. But hey, maybe you could build some grand society and give me a run for my money or something!"

So Magneto and Steve both acknowledge that war will happen, but only because Steve will only be able to let this ruse last for so long.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Donde Esta posted:

You make it sound one guy got cut in line and woke-up the next morning thinking "Gee, I should really polish up my evil doer jackboots today." I mean, Nazi Germany just all woke up one morning and decided they were going to gently caress the world, right?
I'm making it sound like I'm sick of Marvel superheroes being gestapo recruits and putting people in concentration camps and everytime it gets brought up someone's gotta be like "uhhhh actually if you look back on panel #58749 of issue #KKK back in 1898 it actually makes perfect sense that this comic book character has no problems enacting the Final Solution and Secret Empire is actually Super Correct about everthing!"

Like, if you wanna realtalk this thing? Name one instance where Havok has badmouthed the Inhumans. Literally one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know what else is bad? When Heroes have like a contingency for other heroes. Like Batman's the most popular, but in CW2 Tony had the armor to fight Carol and handle her energy and it's like... Do you spend all day coming up with ideas on how to beat up your mates or something?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not sure how I feel about Unbeatable Squirrel Girl having planes that actually land in the Savage Land without crashing.

Anyone else enjoying Defenders? Another good addition to the "Punisher getting owned" file.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Onmi posted:

You know what else is bad? When Heroes have like a contingency for other heroes. Like Batman's the most popular, but in CW2 Tony had the armor to fight Carol and handle her energy and it's like... Do you spend all day coming up with ideas on how to beat up your mates or something?

Honestly, if I was a properly paranoid tech wizard who routinely hangs out with living gods, I might have a carefully guarded "what do I do if they go nuts" file myself.

I think it was JMS Spidey who said, basically, they all think about it. They've been mind-controlled too often to do otherwise, so Spidey has at least an idea of what he'd do if he had to go up against most other heroes in a life-or-death setting. He just doesn't want to talk about it.

(The example there was the Hulk, and I've always wanted to ask JMS what he thought his Peter's anti-Hulk plan would be.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanderer posted:

Honestly, if I was a properly paranoid tech wizard who routinely hangs out with living gods, I might have a carefully guarded "what do I do if they go nuts" file myself.

I think it was JMS Spidey who said, basically, they all think about it. They've been mind-controlled too often to do otherwise, so Spidey has at least an idea of what he'd do if he had to go up against most other heroes in a life-or-death setting. He just doesn't want to talk about it.

(The example there was the Hulk, and I've always wanted to ask JMS what he thought his Peter's anti-Hulk plan would be.)
I think it's one thing to do it for the Hulk, noted surly rage addict, and another when it becomes jerking off about just how incredibly smart the character in question is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I think it was predicated on the idea that Hulk needs to turn back into Banner so he can "cool off" and avoid overloading on radiation or something like that. He was fighting a Hulk-like creature in that story who didn't and couldn't change back into a "Banner" and in the end started to fall apart the more he taxed himself fighting Spider-Man.

I'm not sure if that's how the Hulk works or if it's just how Peter Parker (or JMS, as the case may be) thinks the Hulk works.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Onmi posted:

I liked it in Vision where Tony had a contingency for Vision going nuts that completely didnt do poo poo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Marvel Legacy renumbering is wild.

Deadpool gets all of Cable & Deadpool, but Cable doesn't get Cable: Blood & Metal or Cable & X-Force. And neither of them get Deadpool/Cable: Split Second. :confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

galagazombie posted:

I know comic civilians (especially Marvel's) have memories so short they would make a Goldfish blush, but after Secret Empire finishes up is everyone just gonna go back to normal like nothing happened after a Nazi wizard cult ran the country for several months or California seceded and was run as a mutant supremacist state? The obvious answer is they'll just reset the universe/mindwipe everyone again but they've done that so much lately it's getting ridiculous to be invested in any story when they say it was the equivalent of "All A Dream" anytime something of consequence happens.

To be fair, everyone remembers that Carol Danvers is the best superhero in the world and did the absolute right thing. Yaas, queen!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

JordanKai posted:

Deadpool gets all of Cable & Deadpool, but Cable doesn't get Cable: Blood & Metal or Cable & X-Force. And neither of them get Deadpool/Cable: Split Second. :confused:
Maybe because it wouldn't have added up to a nice round number with Blood & Metal. Cable & X-Force is maybe being counted as an X-Force/team book so isn't counted as a solo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

To be fair, everyone remembers that Carol Danvers is the best superhero in the world and did the absolute right thing. Yaas, queen!

That's just cause Carol has an in-universe PR Agent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Henry loving Kissinger has a Noble Peace Prize, so people thinking Carol did nothing wrong in universe makes a certain kind of sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just love Marvel's tactic of trying to make a character popular and beloved by insisting that they already are and hoping people just go along with it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

JordanKai posted:

Are they doing little cards like this for every renumbered title?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JordanKai posted:

Well, I'm going to be dropping Cable. Ed Brisson has thus far been a very bland writer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just love Marvel's tactic of trying to make a character popular and beloved by insisting that they already are and hoping people just go along with it.

The sad part is I think most people were on board with the idea behind the push but then Marvel utterly wasted it with a meandering series of garbage runs on her own title and by making her Captain Thoughtcrime in CWII. Almost all the goodwill towards Carol has basically dried up at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

Are they doing little cards like this for every renumbered title?

Yes, they will be inside the books and Diamond is putting them in the retailer tools so we can print them and put them out next to the renumbered issue.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

The sad part is I think most people were on board with the idea behind the push but then Marvel utterly wasted it with a meandering series of garbage runs on her own title and by making her Captain Thoughtcrime in CWII. Almost all the goodwill towards Carol has basically dried up at this point.

The issue is they have no understanding of why people liked Carol Danvers in the first place.

I always liked this post.

Why I like Carol Danvers posted:

I like Carol Danvers. I actually consider myself a fan of the character. Now, none (NONE) of her ongoing comics were ever above the “decent by american superheroes standards” (a low-tier decent), but still, Ms. Marvel v.2 was one of the first cape comics I started following, my gateway into this horrible obsession hobby I have now (Sana Takeda’s beautiful artworks and covers caught my attention), so I think I owe the character a bit.

When Kelly Sue DeConnnick’ ongoing was announced, I was actually intrigued! Yes, that’s the truth. Then of course we all know what happened. When I started doing my edits, the Carol Corps thing was still blowing strong, and my mockery was a rejection of that whole thing. They tried to hammer this asinine plot point “The whole world loves Carol Danvers” and I kept saying, no, no, no, this is stupid.

Carol Danvers can’t have fans in universe, Carol Danvers is PATHETIC. She’s a bottled up sack of self-loathing and anger. That’s why I like her.

Look at the already mentioned Brian Reed’s series, the very first big attempt by Marvel to push her: at the very core of it all, it’s the story of a person having an early mid-life crisis, waking up one day knowing that for thirty+ years they literally never lived up to their true potential (House of M and all).

And an issue that always springs to my mind is New Avengers #15 (2006) by Brian Michael BEEEENDIIIISSSS. Most of the story is narrated by Carol in form of blog posts. It’s really melodramatic stuff, she talks about her day, her powers, who she is, what she does, the people she knows and there’s this little detail added at the end of each caption: “0 comments”. An apparently inconsequential detail that makes the whole thing pitiful and disheartening.

So, here’s the reason I really like Carol Danvers: every superhero has a tough life, and she had one hell of a life as well, but she so often fails in such an incredibly mundane way that I can’t help but actually relate to her.

Plus, y’know, she kills aliens without remorse.

I've been enjoying their Civil War II parody. Which is probably much better than the actual Civil War II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Matt was going to try to gently caress Gwenpoole right?

And teams need to talk to each other; in X-men Blue Archangel takes down the O5 and is clearly on the side of New Tian, but then in Secret Warriors he comes and helps Quakes team escape from Hyde's helicarrier.

Who the hell is Leer? I also have a hard time believing Taskmaster could beat Karnak.

And that is good summery of why i like Captain Marvel as well, though I also like how she is legitimately good friends with a lot of the Marvel Universe. Her and Wolverine being buds was always great.

• Locked thread