Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

cheetah7071 posted:

Had DS9 already started when they cast Gul Dukat as the poker player in Time's Arrow?

No, but there was only a few months between them. Time's Arrow was the TNG Season 5/6 cliffhanger, and DS9 started during TNG's sixth season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't watched TNG season 1 in a long time but apparently he got his Star Trek debut as this fucker

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The mongoose people eating the snake people was a great gag.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

But even if they counted on the strangeness of the situation to confuse Kira enough that she didn't remember that fact, since the real target was her dissident legate "father" again any tricorder would have told him right away it was a scam, hell not even that, a thermometer would have revealed she has the wrong body temperature.

I'm sure he checked multiple ways and the Obsidian Order rigged the output on all of them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Turns out all the Bajorans are actually deep cover Cardassians. Just like Let's All Go to Golgotha, but with less Jesus and more concentration camps.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VitalSigns posted:

Second Skin is weird because in previous episodes we've seen that a cosmetically altered Cardassian still lights up Cardassian on a simple medical scan. That just happened when that dude tried to frame O'Brien for war crimes, so there was no reason to ever suppose Kira could be convinced she's a Cardassian with false memories because it would have shown up.

But even if they counted on the strangeness of the situation to confuse Kira enough that she didn't remember that fact, since the real target was her dissident legate "father" again any tricorder would have told him right away it was a scam, hell not even that, a thermometer would have revealed she has the wrong body temperature.

Different styles and levels of surgical alteration might manifest differently.

I do love that Sisko can pass for a Klingon better than anyone else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah he owns in that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

It's funny how many things we think would induce a murder spree, and how few of them actually do.

I'm hopefully never going to be in the sort of situation to find out for sure.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure avery brooks could pass for a klingon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah he owns in that.

God yeah. The "BRAG all you WANT!" scene is one of my faves in DS9.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Body chemistry tends to fail even a couple degrees C away from the correct internal temperature, starting with the nervous system. There are a lot of delicate chemical equilibria involved.

To even attempt to keep a human functioning normally at 104 degrees you'd need extremely sophisticated knowledge of every system in the body and a hell off a drug regimen.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 14, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

quote:

"You have to understand the timelines and what the different timelines were and what the different universes were and how they all worked together.

Not only is this something about which I in fact don't care even the slightest bit, the sheer mention of it makes me want to watch Discovery less.

Did they learn nothing from Enterprise?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mossyfisk posted:

Not only is this something about which I in fact don't care even the slightest bit, the sheer mention of it makes me want to watch Discovery less.

Did they learn nothing from Enterprise?

I'd wager they learned too much from it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't watched TNG season 1 in a long time but apparently he got his Star Trek debut as this fucker

I wish Birth of the Federation worked properly on modern computers when I see this guy's face.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Timby posted:

Terry Farrell never regretted leaving, because she loving hated Berman. Her whole issue was that Dax wasn't doing jack on the show and was basically window dressing at that point (as someone else said, her role was "Worf's love interest"), so she offered to take a part-time role in the seventh season, appearing in half the episodes. Her rationale was that the show had introduced so, so many recurring characters that it would be ridiculously easy to write around her absences. Berman basically told her to go to hell, and also made sure that Ira Behr was never told of Farrell's part-time request. Farrell had no interest at all in doing another full season, so she just let her contract expire.

Berman was also a huge creep.

If it was 100% about the story, I mean they're in the middle of a war arc. People get redeployed all the time. Starfleet's priorities would not include keeping the gang together. But, this was Hollywood ego tripping.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skooma512 posted:

Berman was also a huge creep.

I think the most galling part is that, assuming Behr's version of the story is true (the guy's a bit of a serial exaggerator, so you can't take his accounts completely at face-value without second-hand corroboration), Behr was not only completely kept in the dark about Farrell's offer to do the seventh season on a part-time basis, he was flat-out told, "Oh, Farrell quit, you need to write her out at the end of the season." So we wound up with that lame-rear end Tears of the Prophets ending where Dukat just zaps her like a cartoon character (God, I hated that Pah-Wraith poo poo).

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I am working from home today and listening through doublestar87's Ron Jones playlists for TNG... MAN were those mostly all great scores. I hate Berman so much just for not keeping Jones as the primary composer. The very idea of sonic wallpaper is offensive and someone should have kicked his rear end for it. I'm angry about Star Trek music.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why did they have trek characters stick around for the whole show? Lots of shows of various genres write around actors coming and going and it's not hard because people come and go in real life. Tasha could have transferred or quit, Keiko lived on Bajor, why not have Jadzia transfer to a Klingon liaison position or something?

They play fast and loose enough with everything else -- it's hard to believe Jadzia or Kira would ever really have commanded the Defiant -- why kill these characters when their actors leave the show?

Did anyone ever care why Guinan wasn't tending bar?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A big part of it was the neurotic compulsion to make the show as absolutely accessible to anyone just tuning in at any point during the series. The mantra at Paramount was that the local station managers should feel free to run episodes in absolutely any order they wanted without viewers being lost or confused. (Remember, once they hit strip syndication, they're running episodes up to five days a week.)

Bryan Fuller said that where he and at least a couple of the other Voyager writers wanted 7 of 9's deBorgification to take at least the rest of the season after Scorpion, the studio pretty much demanded that they get to the "syndication pattern" within just a couple of episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that might have been interesting is if Jadzia had lost Dax for a few episodes - say John Glover manages to hold on to it but Bashir manages to rig up some kind of potion that lets her manage without it temporarily, then eventually she manages to recover it. I imagine it would have been similar to the arc where Odo loses his shape-changing abilities.

I thought the one which revealed how Joran Dax was a murderer was interesting, though as I recall in that one he killed one person and was fairly contrite about it, which didn't tally in my mind with his portrayal in the season seven episode where he's this murdering genius who knows everything about murder because someone on the writing staff wanted to do a Star Trek version of The Silence of the Lambs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lordshmee posted:

I am working from home today and listening through doublestar87's Ron Jones playlists for TNG... MAN were those mostly all great scores. I hate Berman so much just for not keeping Jones as the primary composer. The very idea of sonic wallpaper is offensive and someone should have kicked his rear end for it. I'm angry about Star Trek music.

I think this is a little unfair to Dennis McCarthy. He turned in some pretty good and dynamic work on the first season; he was just more readily willing to toe the line that Rick Berman set down after the old TOS holdovers quit because they were sick of fighting with Leonard Maizlish.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cheetah7071 posted:

Had DS9 already started when they cast Gul Dukat as the poker player in Time's Arrow?

He had played a Romulan previously, and played the first Cardassian in TNG both before Times Arrow.

Much like how Shimmerman had played one of the first Ferrengi in TNG. Trek likes re-using actors, which I really enjoy. The peak being Jeffrey Combs but there's tons of other much more minor actors they'd re-use to play the alien of the week.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
"Changing jobs" is not really a great story or plot device and leaving a character alive sets up the expectation of a return. The better question would be why they didn't make more of the very few deaths of "major" characters they had (both Jadzia and Tasha were weak sauce).
Characters that "come and go" also just don't work very well on TV for any meaningful character. It's already a problem for a show like GoT, you really have to limit the amount of such characters because else they just become confusing background noise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Star Trek EU later revealed that this guy was Dukat's brother or his cousin and grew the moustache (?) because he disapproved of the radicalism of Dukat's politics and didn't want to be mistaken for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on his comments about some actresses in the 50 Year Mission books, I would easily buy a story that Berman assaulted someone. A lot of what he says is very misogynistic and sexist bordering on creepy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

"Changing jobs" is not really a great story or plot device and leaving a character alive sets up the expectation of a return. The better question would be why they didn't make more of the very few deaths of "major" characters they had (both Jadzia and Tasha were weak sauce).
Characters that "come and go" also just don't work very well on TV for any meaningful character. It's already a problem for a show like GoT, you really have to limit the amount of such characters because else they just become confusing background noise.

Yeah this is the kind of idiot thinking I'd expect the writer's room to run into if they suggested having a character leave without dying like any other long running drama or comedy from the same era did routinely.

Good job.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Did anyone ever care why Guinan wasn't tending bar?

Yeah. I'm watching through TNG with someone who hasn't before (as an adult anyway) and in Season 5 Guinan is pretty much absent and there are a LOT of episodes where her peculiar powers would likely have helped out a whole lot. In conundrum they even go so far as to have Data tend bar which makes her absence all the more glaring.

Not that she'd always be in 10Forward, but she'd probably be on board and be like Who is this Commander Whatshisname guy?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Guinan was pretty much only around as often as Whoopi Goldberg could work it into her schedule. Remember that she was such a big name that when the producers first heard she wanted to be on the show, they thought someone was trying to prank them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Yeah. I'm watching through TNG with someone who hasn't before (as an adult anyway) and in Season 5 Guinan is pretty much absent and there are a LOT of episodes where her peculiar powers would likely have helped out a whole lot. In conundrum they even go so far as to have Data tend bar which makes her absence all the more glaring.

Not that she'd always be in 10Forward, but she'd probably be on board and be like Who is this Commander Whatshisname guy?

Guinan's touchy feely "I lived a long time" powers make more sense than Troi's and I know I bitch about Troi's powers but I'd really never considered that and it's really funny.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Guinan was pretty much only around as often as Whoopi Goldberg could work it into her schedule. Remember that she was such a big name that when the producers first heard she wanted to be on the show, they thought someone was trying to prank them.

Oh I know but I wish they wrote something into the show about how her species occasionally hibernates or something to explain her gratuitous absences.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This makes me realize that when I said Dax was a TNG character trapped on DS9, I was basically right -- she's Guinan. But with more screen time and dialogue, and the writing wasn't quite up to the task.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
She hibernates to recharge her biologically determined plot advancement powers. Bam. Where's my check CBS

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Guinan was so mysterious I always assumed she was off doing all sorts of weird poo poo and was just too cool spend all day with the squares on the D.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Oh I know but I wish they wrote something into the show about how her species occasionally hibernates or something to explain her gratuitous absences.

She's at a conference, or a ~*symposium*~, like every other cast member.

One of my friends took to just pretending that the Guinan episodes all happened in a parallel timeline where Guinan was around, and the episodes she wasn't in were in the non-Guinan timeline.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was watching Afterimage and it occurred to me that the writers really could have used an actual therapist on staff to tell them about therapy. I'm not a therapist but it seems like opening with "so did you have a traumatic incident in childhood?" isn't a great idea.

To add to my earlier post about my fractured childhood memory of DS9, I did not remember Garak at all (I think I conflated all Cardassians into a sort of generalized blob) so his character was one of the most pleasant surprises of my first rewatch back in high school. Robinson's voice is very interesting. He's a bright tenor but also brings an interesting resonance that you don't generally hear in tenors. It's almost like the vocal quality of Avery Brooks pitched up if that makes sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

She's at a conference, or a ~*symposium*~, like every other cast member.

That only sort of works when they are a zillion light years from Earth, but yeah, Worf's mom just shows up when they are who knows where so I guess that works.

I feel like she just vanishes into the goddamn Nexus all the time and no one even misses her.

Orv
May 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Guinan was so mysterious I always assumed she was off doing all sorts of weird poo poo and was just too cool spend all day with the squares on the D.

Kid me understood that Guinan was just there to hang out because all these dorks with all their dumb problems was something to do to pass the current century.

Kid me was pretty smart sometimes.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

socialsecurity posted:

I believe Boothby and Guinan are the same species. Maybe instead of being able to sense death, their species evolved to dispense mystical bullshit wisdom when humans need it most.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

I believe Boothby and Guinan are the same species. Maybe instead of being able to sense death, their species evolved to dispense mystical bullshit wisdom when humans need it most.

That water guy from Tank Girl was one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Orv posted:

Kid me understood that Guinan was just there to hang out because all these dorks with all their dumb problems was something to do to pass the current century.

Kid me was pretty smart sometimes.

I'm 27 years old and my youngest brother is 19. He's going to college in my city, and we hang out every now and then. He's a really smart kid, confident, compassionate, but there are still things that make him worry, a lot of which won't be a big deal in a few years, or things where the solution is clear but requires a bit more maturity. I give advice where appropriate. I love him to pieces but do I want to hang out with him all the time? lolno.

Anyway, replace me with Guinan and my brother with Picard and that's probably the relationship they've got goin'.