Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah I did just before I started Deadwood. And I've seen The Wire and Sopranos before years ago. I'm thinking of going with Silicon Valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Silicon Valley is great, as is Veep. Either is worth your time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM said something interesting in the TIME article today. He said, and who knows how true it is in the show, that people resurrected by red priests aren't so much resurrected as reanimated. They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat. He even called them wights. So basically the only difference between Jon and some rando skeleton from the Night's King army is that he still has his memories.

In the show it doesn't seem to be the case. Jon clearly still eats, breathes, has visible breath in cold etc.

Berric also still bleeds when he's killed again iirc

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

In the show it doesn't seem to be the case. Jon clearly still eats, breathes, has visible breath in cold etc.

Ser Doesn't Give a poo poo Anymore posted:

... but the burning sword snapped in two, and the Hound's cold steel plowed into Lord Beric's flesh where his shoulder joined his neck and clove him clean down to the breastbone. The blood came rushing out in a hot black gush.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

Last Deadwood update before this thread blows up on Sunday: season 3 good. Ending bad but season still better than 2. Couldn't not see Hearst as Raymond Tusk from House of Cards.

What HBO show do I do next

Have you heard of the cult classic Game of Thrones?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Peanut President posted:

Have you heard of the cult classic Game of Thrones?

I wonder how people will look back at it? Like will people in 10 years say "stop watching after season 4" - given that CGI will probably continue to improve and therefore the battle scenes, which are the saving grace of the later seasons for some, will not be that impressive anymore.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

There's no way in hell the showrunners are gonna care about different types of undead or whatever bullshit gurm has come up while not writing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GaussianCopula posted:

I wonder how people will look back at it? Like will people in 10 years say "stop watching after season 4" - given that CGI will probably continue to improve and therefore the battle scenes, which are the saving grace of the later seasons for some, will not be that impressive anymore.

Like all nerd things there will never be a concrete answer. Some people will say the whole series was great and gently caress you if you disagree, others will says that the show sucked after King Robert died.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Peanut President posted:

Like all nerd things there will never be a concrete answer. Some people will say the whole series was great and gently caress you if you disagree, others will says that the show sucked after King Robert died.

I think there is a general consensus that Sons of Anarchy and Dexter had really bad final season - and I fear that Jon will have a Jax Teller ending.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally, Im not a big fan of the battle scenes. They are indeed impressive, but also usually too long and packed with dumb and stupid stuff

edit: vvvvvv the battle of bastards was the dumbest of all

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 14, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Elias_Maluco posted:

Personally, Im not a big fan of the battle scenes. They are indeed impressive, but also usually too long and packed with dumb and stupid stuff

Even the battle of the bastards had the ridiculous encirclement that the giant could have easily broken.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They really dropped the ball wrt the giant. Like they've already established the giants are smart enough to use weapons like huge bows and can wreck things with something as simple as a burning log. So let's just have the giant unarmed and awkwardly swatting at speartips. :downs:

Like with everything else, their main priority while writing the battle scenes is plot convenience. Stuff that needs to happen will happen no matter how little sense it makes. The scenes are still visually impressive, but it sure would be nice if they would spend a little of their massive budget on competent writers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The problem with Wun Wun goes both ways. Those spearmen could've been lunging at him and he'd be magnet for crossbow bolts, but they're pretty gentle with him until he starts knocking. He should've died sooner. A quick fix would've been to have the battle in two places. Jon and the first wave getting crushed by Ramsay's men, while Davos and the Wildlings fight Umber's men elsewhere, too far away to help in time.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 14, 2017

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The worst part about that battle was that there were no people on either side freaking out going "OH MY GODS GIANTS ARE REAL".

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The huge corpse mountain out of nowhere was stupid. Were people like "hey its our turn to climb that pile of bodies and fight now. When we die you guys are next."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The worst part about that battle was that there were no people on either side freaking out going "OH MY GODS GIANTS ARE REAL".

No one cares what extras think.

Assuming he came up with this while writing ASoS and not recently, can the Gurm explain why fire wights die conventionally while ice wights keep moving until you burn them?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 14, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just have Chuck Tingle finish the books

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TOOT BOOT posted:

That might be something that doesn't happen in the books honestly.

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody's around to hear it something something etc.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lycus posted:

Assuming he came up with this while writing ASoS and not recently, can the Gurm explain why fire wights die conventionally while ice wights keep moving until you burn them?

He came up with it during the conversation in which he said it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

Fire consumes while ice preserves? I recall there was a bit with Maester Aemon croaking days after leaving the wall.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Probably had more to do with the fact that they took a 100-year old dude on a long trip in some lovely wooden boat.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

bloom posted:

Probably had more to do with the fact that they took a 100-year old dude on a long trip in some lovely wooden boat.

He started going downhill pretty quick after he left. Like losing his faculties and poo poo. Egg....

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Everybody knows that people are like batteries, if they're about to die, just shove 'em in the freezer to get a little more out of them

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

GaussianCopula posted:

I think there is a general consensus that Sons of Anarchy and Dexter had really bad final season - and I fear that Jon will have a Jax Teller ending.

It's funny how similar those shows are. I think the consensus for both is:

Season 1: pretty drat good!
Season 2: incredible, peak tv.
Season 3: pretty good, but a letdown after season 2
Season 4: it was good until that bullshit ending
Season 5: stop watching

Game of Thrones fits the pattern remarkably well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Season 5 was the season of Dexter that had a bullshit ending, not Season 4.

And Season 3 was crap, not pretty good.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 15, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Anybody that says Sons of Anarchy had a pretty good third season is wrong and should feel bad

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody that says Sons of Anarchy had a good season is wrong and should feel bad

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lycus posted:

Season 5 was the season of Dexter that had a bullshit ending, not Season 4.

i wouldn't know. I didn't even want to watch season 4 but I was promised that John Lithgow saved it (he did). I thought the ending was trite, predictable, and stupid shock value.

Soul Glo posted:

Anybody that says Sons of Anarchy had a pretty good third season is wrong and should feel bad

Ireland, bad. Ending, worth it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

He will ride a horse into a very badly green screened Night King who is driving a zombie dragon?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I would watch the gently caress out of John Lithgow on GOT

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He will ride a horse into a very badly green screened Night King who is driving a zombie dragon?

Come to think of it it actually lines up;

Son spends the entire series learning about the repercussions of the selfish act that led to his fathers death coming face to face with the lives that act shattered. Son then decides to make the exact same dumb rear end decision.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Harton posted:

At least as the show has gotten worse the tits have gotten better. It's the little things in life really.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I raise you Ramsey's lady friend and the actress who played Sansa in the bravos play, also the Bad pussy. After those I can't even remember what Ros looked like. Honestly I remember them being too large and unwieldy. It would be like fighting with a zwielhander, no finesse at all just brute force titties.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well there is something to be said about the tactic of force majeure.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Come to think of it it actually lines up;

Son spends the entire series learning about the repercussions of the selfish act that led to his fathers death coming face to face with the lives that act shattered. Son then decides to make the exact same dumb rear end decision.

Should Cat have fork-stabbed Talisa?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I wouldn't hate it if Ron Perlman showed up in GoT, tbh

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I based my "never gonna watch sons of anarchy" opinion on the douche nozzles that wear the clothing and talk about the show. I always assumed if they like it that much I would obviously hate it.

That probably makes me a bit of a douche myself but oh well. I don't think I missed anything.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Harton posted:

I based my "never gonna watch sons of anarchy" opinion on the douche nozzles that wear the clothing and talk about the show. I always assumed if they like it that much I would obviously hate it.

That probably makes me a bit of a douche myself but oh well. I don't think I missed anything.

I remember enjoying the first two seasons. The third was crap, and the fourth was enjoyable again because of a guest star from Deadwood (those two shows had a lot in common wrt actors, which may be one reason why I liked SoA) and then it was a downward spiral. The penultimate season was so bad I stopped watching and just read recaps of the last season to see how it ended. Kinda like what I'm doing for GoT ITT, except this show pulled itself out of the trash for the latest season, though it's still far removed from when it was actually Really Good.

SoA is also interesting in seeing just how badly Charlie Hunnam's accent was ruined. He went bizarrely mush-mouthed after years of bending his English accent around Californian gangster.

It was never high art or whatever, but fun.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I am re-watching the last season and in the 8th episode when Arya is getting her wounds bandaged the actress doing it asks her where she will go and what she will do. Arya asks what is west of Westeros and says all the maps stop there and she would like to find out. I think one of the Spinoffs is going to be in the future of the show's timeline and it will be Arya going to the "new world". Westeros is partly a British Isles analogue, it would be cool to see the GoT version of the new world as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So it'll be a show about Arya massacring the native population of Americos?

• Locked thread