Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

I bought Skyrim for like 10 bucks and when I realized how loving terrible the melee combat was I just didn't play it anymore.

I don't know what I was expecting it's just bethesda being bethesda.

I mean I enjoyed oblivion despite the bad combat system but its hard to get into skyrim after playing the witcher 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The lack of spear usage in Skyrim really disappointed me

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

You don't need good melee combat when you one shot fuckers with a dagger to the spine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I played the shot out of Morrowind and Oblivion. I can't believe it took me til now to play Skyrim. gently caress these games own!

Skyrim was my Afghanistan deployment, came out like 5 days before departure, got it installed and updated.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The lack of spear usage in Skyrim really disappointed me

Needs more Haliberds.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm playing mgsv again and I think Boss punching people at the base and it raising their morale is an allegory for how sergeants major see leadership.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

TBeats posted:

I'm playing mgsv again and I think Boss punching people at the base and it raising their morale is an allegory for how sergeants major see leadership.

Walks on grass, rocket punch flies out of battalion HQ straight into your head.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qs_Kscrfw

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been trying to 100% Skyrim for a while but it's gotten to be such a slog I may just give up and call it good after I've hit up the main quest lines

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

A Bad Poster posted:

hell yeah

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

I feel more motivated already

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
THANK YOU SERGEANT MAJOR

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CSM attaches a Fulton to random troop

AIRBOOOOORNE HOOOOOAAAAHHHH

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
CSM: "D Horse, do it!"

Also CSM: "HEY YOU CLEAN THAT poo poo OFF MY SIDEWALK!"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I wish my CSM would have brought us some cute animals :smith:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I'm pretty sure our first csm was senile.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey N4butts, are the first several hours of persona 5 an extended tutorial? Game is on the rails so far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Well I finally finished Andromeda. The end mission was cool but the rest of the game was just so loving blah.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cowboy elvis posted:

Hey N4butts, are the first several hours of persona 5 an extended tutorial? Game is on the rails so far.

yes

once you get through that it opens up a lot more and you can do what you want after school

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yes

once you get through that it opens up a lot more and you can do what you want after school

Ok cool. I've got a few hours in. Game is super cool. Like every facet of the game has an unreal amount of effort put into it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

Well I finally finished Andromeda. The end mission was cool but the rest of the game was just so loving blah.

Game has such bad reviews I didn't even bother to get an eval copy of it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Two Finger posted:

I figured that out after playing the first few planets and pulled the plug.

Sounds like EA figured that out too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Even at 20 bucks I can't be bothered to buy Andromeda. There are far too many good games to play that an otherwise OK game doesn't have a chance.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I just felt obligated to get my money's worth since I preordered it like a loving chump.

I have very few good things to say about it. The gameplay was a weird mishmash of the first three but without taking the strengths from all of them. The combat was a giant step back from ME3's incredibly tight fighting.The characters all tried so goddamned hard to be quirky and entertaining but not one of them had even a shred of the charm of the OG bro squad.

The only part I actually liked was towards the end when your father's memories reveal that the reason they fled the Milky Way was because of the Reapers, and then you get access to all the distress calls from the planets as they started getting hit. That was cool.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Within several weeks of each other, Project Cars 2, Forza 7, and Gran Turismo Sport all release.

This is my idea of video game heaven.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cowboy elvis posted:

Ok cool. I've got a few hours in. Game is super cool. Like every facet of the game has an unreal amount of effort put into it.

yeah, they delayed it a ton. it was originally announced before PS4 launched, i think

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Two Finger posted:

Yeah I just felt obligated to get my money's worth since I preordered it like a loving chump.

I have very few good things to say about it. The gameplay was a weird mishmash of the first three but without taking the strengths from all of them. The combat was a giant step back from ME3's incredibly tight fighting.The characters all tried so goddamned hard to be quirky and entertaining but not one of them had even a shred of the charm of the OG bro squad.

The only part I actually liked was towards the end when your father's memories reveal that the reason they fled the Milky Way was because of the Reapers, and then you get access to all the distress calls from the planets as they started getting hit. That was cool.

Yeah I pre-ordered it but returned it as soon as it showed up at my house. My friend said I could borrow his copy whenever I'd like to play it, but to be honest :effort:

Working my way through Dishonored 2 finally. Maybe it's me, but the story isn't as good as it was in the first game. Still fun though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

Even at 20 bucks I can't be bothered to buy Andromeda. There are far too many good games to play that an otherwise OK game doesn't have a chance.

its a video game equiv of a straight to vhs sequel that only retained the b list actors from the original

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

its a video game equiv of a straight to vhs sequel that only retained the b list actors from the original

No it's more like American Psycho 2 where they retained the name but not the actors, plot, themes, storyline, creative crew, or basically anyone important.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the way they handled powers was the worst of all worlds. Have all powers available, but not have the power wheel from ME1, 2, or 3, and instead have to set three powers that are all you can use. Dumb as poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I didn't play ME3 but what I read/heard about it was that it was super lazy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

it was worth a playthrough. You can surmise your own opinion about the ending, but it was pretty out there and all over

ME2 just set the bar really high. Fantastic game through and through.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TBeats posted:

I didn't play ME3 but what I read/heard about it was that it was super lazy.

The first half or so of ME3 was very close to ME2 in terms of quality. The combat was actually better. After about Tuchanka it started going downhill, and there's a moment on the Quarian homeworld where the flaws really begin to show. After that, it's everything floats down here bad.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I can't even begin to state how much the Suicide Mission theme owned

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Two Finger posted:

Also the way they handled powers was the worst of all worlds. Have all powers available, but not have the power wheel from ME1, 2, or 3, and instead have to set three powers that are all you can use. Dumb as poo poo.

I don't entirely agree with your other points but this was dead loving spot on.

Like it was some made for console poo poo but then they couldn't even bother with the powers wheel

I mean come on you could used the number keys on the keyboard since mass effect 1

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

I don't entirely agree with your other points but this was dead loving spot on.

Like it was some made for console poo poo but then they couldn't even bother with the powers wheel

I mean come on you could used the number keys on the keyboard since mass effect 1

In a respectful way, what don't you agree with? Not looking for a fight here - I REALLY wanted the game to be good and was disappointed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I thought that the missions were pretty good. Like, the story missions were pretty good, the loyalty missions were really good, and the big story missions were cool as gently caress.

Some, well most of the companions were pretty lame. Jaal, the krogan and sometimes the human asari commando were pretty good though, especially the krogan. The crisis response dude I would've kicked out the airlock if it was an option.

Driving around in the not-mako was okay, but rolling into some of the hot zones you could accidentally stumble across and just be in a ton of poo poo in the middle and nothing about the encounter made sense after that.

The multiplayer seems just like 3 to me, except with no hard cover system which makes it a bit fiddly until you get used to it.

Some shocking things were when you get 100% viability across all planets, or when you defuse the bombs on the station, and while what should be a big moment is unfolding you kind of just stare blankly off into space. I don't know why they stuck out to me but they did.

Oh, and the weapons customization system they should've just kept from number 3 because what the gently caress.

At least they've been fixing up the animations and general goofiness fairly steadily since launch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You make some fair points.
I found the characters excruciatingly dull with the exceptions of Jaal and Drack. All of them tried just so goddamned hard to be endearing and it just fell completely flat.
The multi I spent an enormous amount of time on 3, and it was really lacking something that kept me coming back to 3.
If it was just a new game, I probably would have enjoyed it and even recommended it as a decent game.

The thing is, coming off the OG trilogy, it absolutely had to live up to its name, and for me at least, it really didn't.

It did recapture some of the exploration feel from ME1 though, so it's not all negative.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I had ME3 and Andromeda mixed up. Andromeda was the one I heard was super lazy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Look what you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

So if you haven't played any Mass Effect games, it's goodish?