Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SonicRulez posted:

I have yet to try Aquapolis. I thought it was more of a gatherer thing?

It's an alright source of some materials, but it's for combat classes.

It's also a good test to see just how many times you can get hype or get sad in a few seconds with those loving doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Nah it's literally a slot machine with some trash mobs that could get you some rare loot and potentially a lot of money.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Anyone have a current guide to SCH? I've cleared Omega with some ease, and I'm starting to do EX Primals. Although my fight mechanics are sound, my numbers aren't where they should be, I think.

Specifically, I'm thinking I need to consult some outside resources on how to better my game - specifically on learning to take manual control of Eos. It seems daunting, but I want to read up before I make further judgments.

Scholar in primals is mostly about getting by with lustrate, indom, rouse+whispering dawn, and fey union when you have bar to burn. People don't need to be full health after each so because WD / Medica 2 / Aspected Helios will top everyone up if you let them.

Broil is your primary spell and I'm completely serious.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SonicRulez posted:

You're (probably) thinking of Diadem

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pubbies are so bad at susan ex. i just want a clear but i cant get into a farm party

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Turns out I've been playing a Fisher Price SCH. Thanks for the input, guys. It's very helpful.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

queeb posted:

pubbies are so bad at susan ex. i just want a clear but i cant get into a farm party

I have this exact same problem. Let's join forces to realize that it was actually we who sucked all along

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minrad posted:

in practice it heals the tank once then they need to move for a gimmick and your fairy stands there doing nothing until you manually disable the ability

Gotta ~STRATEGIZE~ around when the tank is going to move or not, obviously. (No I agree, it's underpowered, but it has its uses).

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Minrad posted:

I feel like it would at least not be obnoxious to use if it only disabled embrace, and not all fairy abilities.

Ultimately, this is the tweak I expect we'll get. Nothing that will fix the slowness of activation, the tether breaking, her not following, etc.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty much why SCH is the most difficult healer to play, but when you pull it off well, it's a rush.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

i am tim! posted:

Hey tank chat, just have a question about when it's good to drop into DPS stance while tanking. Back in HW I would play Warrior and drop into Deliverance all the time. Defiance doesn't have the damage received reduction and the extra DPS meant I could bloodthirst crowds and keep my health full on big pulls. I've swapped to Paladin for Stormblood but I'm finding myself cautious about dropping Shield Stance while doing big pulls because of losing out on that 20% damage received reduction; trash can have some serious damage in big packs, after all.

I generally don't drop tank stance on trash, since it gets in the way of the white mage casting holy 15 times in a row, or whatever. With that in mind, it might be worth trying if you're with a scholar. Although, if you do it, you should just click off shield oath. The extra GCD to turn on sword oath won't be worth it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SonicRulez posted:

I think I know where your confusion comes from. To -get- into Aquapolis you need 8 man level 60 treasure maps which you get from gathering, but Aquapolis itself is a fightmans thing and you can also just buy maps from the mb or something instead of gathering.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SonicRulez posted:

Steps to enjoy Aquapolis:

1. Go with friends.
2. Everyone be on voice chat.
3. Everyone should be drinking. You should, in fact, make an Aquapolis drinking game, based on doors opening/not opening.

You haven't lived in this game until you get the seventh of seven doors finally opening after a double fakeout and a bunch of wasted nerds scream their heads off on discord, louder then when you clear a savage floor for the first time

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The secret to Aquapolis is that each door opening is actually a "Who can do the best emote?" contest.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I just got to 30 on a 'Road To 60' alt for the first time and got the 15 days no problem, but no sign of the million gil? Is there a delay on that?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So I just got to 30 on a 'Road To 60' alt for the first time and got the 15 days no problem, but no sign of the million gil? Is there a delay on that?

i got it as i loaded out of an instance, try re-logging.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, like, the stuff with the Generic Empire summoning Meteor but actually it was Bahamut and he wrecked faces, all that stuff was the 'end' of the original FFXIV? I mean, that's what I would've guessed (both in terms of 'yeah that seems an appropriately cataclysmic way to reboot an MMO' and also 'after all that stuff happened seems like a really weird place for an MMO to start the main character's personal plotline.' I'm just impressed at how much they must've added and changed to make this new world hang together as well as it generally seems to.

Like, even post-Cataclysm, there's a lot of parts of WoW where I felt like "geez a new player coming into this must be just absolutely baffled." And so far I really haven't had that problem with FFXIV; there's definitely a sense that I'm coming in in the middle of a story, but in a way that feels very naturally like part of a world that is bigger and has things going on outside of the Main Character's hero journey.

Unrelated, but my very first dungeon experience was with a GLD as tank who refused to equip a shield. And then I saw another player running around doing Fates as a shieldless Gladiator as well. Is this A Thing, or are people just being idiots / expressing a strong aesthetic preference for shieldless swordsmen? :P

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's a PVP glamour that makes your shield invisible, which -may- be what they're using. (Alternately they could be bad.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

queeb posted:

Goons are bad at susan ex too, hth

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, like, the stuff with the Generic Empire summoning Meteor but actually it was Bahamut and he wrecked faces, all that stuff was the 'end' of the original FFXIV? I mean, that's what I would've guessed (both in terms of 'yeah that seems an appropriately cataclysmic way to reboot an MMO' and also 'after all that stuff happened seems like a really weird place for an MMO to start the main character's personal plotline.' I'm just impressed at how much they must've added and changed to make this new world hang together as well as it generally seems to.

Like, even post-Cataclysm, there's a lot of parts of WoW where I felt like "geez a new player coming into this must be just absolutely baffled." And so far I really haven't had that problem with FFXIV; there's definitely a sense that I'm coming in in the middle of a story, but in a way that feels very naturally like part of a world that is bigger and has things going on outside of the Main Character's hero journey.

Unrelated, but my very first dungeon experience was with a GLD as tank who refused to equip a shield. And then I saw another player running around doing Fates as a shieldless Gladiator as well. Is this A Thing, or are people just being idiots / expressing a strong aesthetic preference for shieldless swordsmen? :P

They're most likely just using a glamour to make their shield invisible. Examine them to see if there's anything actually in the slot, don't go by the character model.

And yes you are correct. The Fall of Dalamud, the release of Bahamut, and the Calamity marks the end of the FF14 1.0 storyline and FF14 A Realm Reborn is "what happened then?".

Also how dare you call the Garleans generic, they're techno-romans and have a whole formalized system of patronymics that you can tell a lot about a character from, it rules really hard :colbert:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really need to get a mic set, anyone have a good recommendation?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

Any content you can queue for can be done cross-server as far as I know, so you can still play with goons. It'll just be slightly more of a hassle.

Only in the most technical sense really, realistically speaking you're only likely to get people to do things cross-server if it's raiding. Honestly, transferring to Omega would be the better option, even if you have to pay for it; for the free company bonuses, people willing to run stuff with you, feed your chocobo, give you fashion advice, etc. Please Calm Down is currently the #2 ranked FC on Omega so we're pretty active and healthy, with a fair few new players, and you'd be more than welcome!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Starman, I dunno how much you know of the 1.0 storylines, but if you're curious here is a good primer on the events leading to the Calamity, as narrated by Louisoix, the founder of the "team good guys" organization you'll end up joining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXc0loyuq9I

It doesn't cover all the 1.0 plots but it covers a lot of stuff valid to 2.0/ARR.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Only in the most technical sense really, realistically speaking you're only likely to get people to do things cross-server if it's raiding. Honestly, transferring to Omega would be the better option, even if you have to pay for it; for the free company bonuses, people willing to run stuff with you, feed your chocobo, give you fashion advice, etc. Please Calm Down is currently the #2 ranked FC on Omega so we're pretty active and healthy, with a fair few new players, and you'd be more than welcome!

that av rules

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Ghost of Starman posted:

In a lot of ways, FFXIV is a sequel to a game that no longer exists. 1.0 had a whole plot, that while obviously at the time was meant to go on a lot longer, had a finale and a big dramatic final boss against a dude trying to bring the moon down. A lot of the ancillary stuff got subtly retconned or just rolled into new plots down the line.

If you are enjoying it now, then you are in for a treat because early 2.0/pre-50 is easily the weakest the game is in every category, from plot to characters to gameplay to dungeons to side quests. It's essentially a straight line up in quality all the way to the most recent stuff.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Blue Snowballs work great if you have the desk space.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I bought a ModMic recently and it works pretty well. It's a kit that comes with a microphone boom and a little adhesive magnet thing you stick on your headphones so you can attach the mic boom on and use as a headset. Definitely less clunky than my previous solution of sitting an SM57 on my desk.

I haven't got any complaints about audio in-game and test recordings in Audacity sounded fine to me

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

Goons are bad at susan ex too, hth

dgkk 's been running one-shot clear groups including players that've never been in the instance before

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erg posted:

that av rules

thanks, i got it from here

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

dgkk 's been running one-shot clear groups including players that've never been in the instance before

I've got to get in on that.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Omega has also had a pretty good clear rate of Susan with plenty of newbies along.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Holyshoot posted:

Informative feedback!

VHGS posted:

Great advice!

Thanks for responding to me! I'm only just getting back into tanking now that I've got RDM and WHM to 70, and I'm still feeling out all the changes for myself. Glad to know that I'm on the right track.

I'm also glad that Paladin has an AOE, bonus threat or no! Heck, the lack of bonus threat hasn't even come up as an issue so far.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Reiterpallasch posted:

Blue Snowballs work great if you have the desk space.

seconding this, i've had mine for a while now and its really nice

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey my name is Jinh Charizard in game and I've cleared susano ex 12 times so far and I'm willing to help with goon clear groups, I'm a red mage, ilvl 116 or so and parse close to 4k on a dummy. I'm on Hyperion but we can cross server with Excal. Can pm me or I can join the goon discord or w/e

E: er yeah i316 lol

Jinh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 14, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

unseenlibrarian posted:

There's a PVP glamour that makes your shield invisible, which -may- be what they're using. (Alternately they could be bad.)

How long has this been in the game??? I want that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's from the Garo stuff

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Jinh posted:

Hey my name is Jinh Charizard in game and I've cleared susano ex 12 times so far and I'm willing to help with goon clear groups, I'm a red mage, ilvl 116 or so and parse close to 4k on a dummy. I'm on Hyperion but we can cross server with Excal. Can pm me or I can join the goon discord or w/e

poo poo man how'd you get into susano with ilvl 116 you must be a god drat wizard

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

boy are my arms tired posted:

poo poo man how'd you get into susano with ilvl 116 you must be a god drat wizard

Jinh posted:

I'm a red mage

:thunk:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reiterpallasch posted:

DGKK has always been the stealth hardcore progression raiders though.

Also I've cleared Susano EX enough times and would be down to heal a goon group for it.

(Cross-server from Exodus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
mage, not wizard