Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

StabbinHobo posted:

give a nearby intersection or throwaway address for where you work. i will find a 2br apartment you can afford within 1 hour public transit of it with ten whole loving minutes of google and craigslist.

I grew up in a commuter exurb outside Boston so lol on that first one.

Nearest transit stops were each 2.5 miles away and the route was useless. At the time, minimum wage was $8 and a studio in the dangerous, crime-ridden apartment complexes started ~$750 mo. Also, the dangerous criminals were all surly white guys.

Point being, this is America. Lower your expectations ever further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Otoh that's why we don't have effective public transit in many communities because it allows "those people" to use "our services." That was the argument people made in an attempt to remove the bus stops in my neighborhood growing up. And where I live now white flight is why the electric trolley system that used to connect an entire metropolis is laying unused in ruins.

So it is a mixed bag.

The older I get the more I realise that pretty much every single problem in America, from gun rights to healthcare to tipping/minimum wage, result from white resentment of the existence of the black underclass which they shipped over in the first place.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Trabisnikof posted:

Just don't tell anyone at your diybio meeting that and you should be fine. At home DNA printing has come a long way...and pirated CRISPR will be on the market soon enough.

Since the Heinz committed suicide and Cambrian went under, I haven't heard a peep of anyone attempting to print DNA at a reasonable scale.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

freebooter posted:

The older I get the more I realise that pretty much every single problem in America, from gun rights to healthcare to tipping/minimum wage, result from white resentment of the existence of the black underclass which they shipped over in the first place.

Meanwhile, I live in a place where there's white resentment of the people who were here before white people. It's ugly racism as far as the eye can see!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Star Man posted:

Meanwhile, I live in a place where there's white resentment of the people who were here before white people. It's ugly racism as far as the eye can see!

Me too, but I don't think it poisons the well to the same extent it does in America.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Point being, this is America. Lower your expectations ever further.

what the gently caress how could you possibly get this less

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 13, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Climate Change: Americans change a little bit or we all die, so SEE YOU IN HELL

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Interesting to see the Climate Science community speaking out against the New York Magazine piece, including Michael Mann posting this: https://www.facebook.com/MichaelMannScientist/posts/1470539096335621

quote:

Since this New York Magazine article ("The Uninhabitable Earth") is getting so much play this morning, I figured I should comment on it, especially as I was interviewed by the author (though not quoted or mentioned).

I have to say that I am not a fan of this sort of doomist framing. It is important to be up front about the risks of unmitigated climate change, and I frequently criticize those who understate the risks. But there is also a danger in overstating the science in a way that presents the problem as unsolvable, and feeds a sense of doom, inevitability and hopelessness.

The article argues that climate change will render the Earth uninhabitable by the end of this century. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The article fails to produce it.

The article paints an overly bleak picture by overstating some of the science. It exaggerates for example, the near-term threat of climate "feedbacks" involving the release of frozen methane (the science on this is much more nuanced and doesn't support the notion of a game-changing, planet-melting methane bomb. It is unclear that much of this frozen methane can be readily mobilized by projected warming: http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2012/01/much-ado-about-methane/). Also, I was struck by erroneous statements like this one referencing "satellite data showing the globe warming, since 1998, more than twice as fast as scientists had thought."

That' just not true. The study in question simply showed that one particular satellite temperature dataset that had tended to show *less* warming that the other datasets, has now been brought in line with the other temperature data after some problems with that dataset were dealt with.

Ironically, I am a co-author of a recent article in the journal Nature Geoscience (see e.g. this piece in The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/jun/28/climate-scientists-just-debunked-deniers-favorite-argument), using that very same new, corrected, satellite dataset, that shows that past climate model simulations slightly **over-predicted** the actual warming during the first decade of the 21st century, likely because of a mis-specification of natural factors like solar variations and volcanic eruptions. Once these are accounted for, the models and observations are pretty much in line--the warming of the globe is pretty much progressing AS models predicted...which is bad enough.

The evidence that climate change is a serious problem that we must contend with now, is overwhelming on its own. There is no need to overstate the evidence, particularly when it feeds a paralyzing narrative of doom and hopelessness.

I'm afraid this latest article does that. That's too bad. The journalist is clearly a talented one, and this is somewhat of a lost opportunity to objectively inform the discourse over human-caused climate change.

And even the author of the piece seems to be pulling back from the doom is inevitable edge:

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/884427918964916224

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
great, the press is going to play out the climate change argument that we've looped on every 3 to 5 pages in this thread for the next decade

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
let's tone police the end of modern humanity guys woo!

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I feel a real sense of sadness when ice sheets like Larsen C break off and eventually collapse. Like a friend has left, never to return.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BattleMoose posted:

I feel a real sense of sadness when ice sheets like Larsen C break off and eventually collapse. Like a friend has left, never to return.

Never name farm animals ice sheets.

sean spicer
Jul 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
we're in the midst of a plague of humans, the most terrible of all vengeances visited by the lord

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Trabisnikof posted:

pirated CRISPR
CRISPARRR was right there, man.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I know weather doesn't equal climate change but I have a friend in northern Canada near a place literally called Cold Lake and she's under a tornado watch. Also an extreme heat wave. She's getting my weather in the southern Midwest.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

cheese eats mouse posted:

I know weather doesn't equal climate change but I have a friend in northern Canada near a place literally called Cold Lake and she's under a tornado watch. Also an extreme heat wave. She's getting my weather in the southern Midwest.

Alberta is a vast prairie and cold lake varies between 23 and 36 degrees celcius in the summer, what you're doing here is that thing that stupid people in news comments do.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/electric-cars-cheaper-petrol-vehicles-decade-bloomberg-new-energy-finance-a7756731.html

No worries.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
cant wait to fellate elon musk, savior of humanity

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hmm 2030 is only 13 years away and 30 years too late for what it should have been

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Hmm 2030 is only 13 years away and 30 years too late for what it should have been

drat, even really good news is bad news. Everybody knows things should have been done 50 years ago, but they still need
to be done anyways so this is good news.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Burt Buckle posted:

drat, even really good news is bad news. Everybody knows things should have been done 50 years ago, but they still need
to be done anyways so this is good news.

I don't know if this really counts as complaining about good news or whatever. Even people like Alex Steffen are quick to point out that we really need to be focusing on solutions that can cut the carbon emissions curve over the next decade. Remember that the average age of a vehicle in the US is around 11 years, which means there's probably close to a ten year transition period once any vehicle technology becomes cheap and mainstream. Getting ICE cars off the road by 2040-2045ish really isn't all that exciting, especially if we haven't also drastically cut emissions from grid electricity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Paradoxish posted:

I don't know if this really counts as complaining about good news or whatever. Even people like Alex Steffen are quick to point out that we really need to be focusing on solutions that can cut the carbon emissions curve over the next decade. Remember that the average age of a vehicle in the US is around 11 years, which means there's probably close to a ten year transition period once any vehicle technology becomes cheap and mainstream. Getting ICE cars off the road by 2040-2045ish really isn't all that exciting, especially if we haven't also drastically cut emissions from grid electricity.
If the average age is 11, then the transition period seems like it could well be closer to perhaps 15-20 years before ICE cars are basically a thing of the past. That is, unless you made some sort of Cash for Combustion Engines program, made gas stations illegal, or put a massive (even compared to the highest you can find anywhere) tax on gas.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Furnaceface posted:

I did a 1.5 hour commute each way for a few months. It takes its toll mentally and physically on a person and I cant imagine having to do it for much longer than I did without needing a massive pay raise to move closer. An hour is still way too drat long to commute for what amounts to a net zero or loss when you factor in the drastic rise in housing costs as you move closer to the giant city cores.

Counterpoint: I bicycled 2 hours each way from Köln to Dusseldorf every work day. Not possible for everyone, but it wasn't mentally draining in any way, and I saved on gym membership.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 14, 2017

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poopinmymouth posted:

Counterpoint: I bicycled 2 hours each way from Köln to Dusseldorf every work day. Not possible for everyone, but it wasn't mentally draining in any way, and I saved on gym membership.

This is really not realistic. I've done a 36mi commute by bike and it takes so much time, showering, and energy that you end up with no time in your day to do anything else.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Not being sweaty or smelly at work is more important than helping to mitigate the effects of climate change.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
No, the point is that doing it this way won't work for the vast majority of people. Which I'm sure you understood anyways.

vvv Oh, gently caress off.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 14, 2017

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah I'm a filthy poor who has to bike or ride the bus everywhere anyway.

So whatever.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Mozi posted:

No, the point is that doing it this way won't work for the vast majority of people. Which I'm sure you understood anyways.

vvv Oh, gently caress off.

It's just so hard to change the way I live oh man.

So hard.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

So hard.

Not everyone is healthy enough to ride a bike 36 miles to work, friend. I would hope that our response to climate change doesn't involve culling the sick and the weak.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

pacmania90 posted:

Not everyone is healthy enough to ride a bike 36 miles to work, friend. I would hope that our response to climate change doesn't involve culling the sick and the weak.

That's just called being fiscally responsible aka austerity. No need to have climate change to have that happen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ignore him he's just a troll. Observe:

Shifty Nipples posted:

Eating some pretty tasty beef jerky right now.

Shifty Nipples posted:

So hard.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Here, have a study: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/585c3439be65942f022bbf9b/t/591a2e4be6f2e1c13df930c5/1494888038959/RethinkX+Report_051517.pdf

It's not just about electric, also automation. And even if you take the study as overly optimistic in adoption timespan, the points it makes are valid and important to take note of.

So for the pessimists here in the thread: this is not just a reduction in emissions, which is good, but a wholesale collapse/restructuring of the auto and oil industries, and also millions and millions of jobs lost as the transportation industry switches to autonomous vehicles. It's a real "UBI or Bust" scenario.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Salt Fish posted:

This is really not realistic. I've done a 36mi commute by bike and it takes so much time, showering, and energy that you end up with no time in your day to do anything else.

I believe you that you could not handle it, but I quite enjoyed it. Your blanket statement of "realism" is the definition of subjective.

I do not sweat much, and by virtue of being a game developer do not face our customers so shorts and t-shirts was A-ok. Additionally many EU nations require companies of over a certain size to have showers on site. It was literally zero problems *for me*

I even included the caveat it won't work for everyone, but it sure as hell would work for more people than are currently doing it, just as buses/trains, bikes for shorter trips, and a myriad of other small efforts could be pursued that in aggregate would drastically reduce pollution while improving fitness and reducing financial drain on healthcare systems. Literally every time I hear an (almost always american) person argue about how bikes/buses/trains would never work, I see someone in that exact situation making it work the same day here in Iceland or when I lived in Germany.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ignore him he's just a troll. Observe:

Huh? Everyone was talking about their diet so I did too, and poo poo isn't it ok to eat cow if I don't drive or live in a single family house in the suburbs?

pacmania90 posted:

I was born with Spina Bifida and have to wear leg braces to walk.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BattleMoose posted:

It's about time you put that relationship on ice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't think of a single job in the world that's worth spending a four-hour round trip to get to by any means of transportation. I'd rather just live close to it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Star Man posted:

I can't think of a single job in the world that's worth spending a four-hour round trip to get to by any means of transportation. I'd rather just live close to it.

One that increases your net income by 40% or more compared to local options, when you're at a socioeconomic level where doing so would significantly impact your quality of life and long-term economic safety, as opposed to merely giving you more weekend spending money because you're a well-off professional who doesn't know what true wageslavery is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Conspiratiorist posted:

One that increases your net income by 40% or more compared to local options, when you're at a socioeconomic level where doing so would significantly impact your quality of life and long-term economic safety, as opposed to merely giving you more weekend spending money because you're a well-off professional who doesn't know what true wageslavery is.

So the kind of job where I could afford just move closer to it so I don't spend half of a work day just getting to it and away from it?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Star Man posted:

So the kind of job where I could afford just move closer to it so I don't spend half of a work day just getting to it and away from it?

The kind of work where if you moved closer to it you'd have effectively lost any meaningful increase in your income because of getting raped by higher rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I know it's better if people cycle/bus/train to work, but people who think that's any kind of blanket solution always forget the hundreds of millions of people who live in rural areas, plus freight deliveries.