Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
And just for the record, here is what I would call a tastefully modded classic bike

The biggest change they've made is removing the airbox and battery, replacing them with pod filters and presumably a little lithium-ion somewhere, opening up the rear triangle. They've put on lower clip-on bars; I would go with taller ones but those aren't unreasonable. It has proper modern street tires, the custom seat fits well with the rest of the shapes, and that wonderful engine and exhaust (yes, it's an inline-6 with a 6-into-6 system) are just cleaned up and left alone. Nice.

Note that it still doesn't have loving fenders but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they just took them off for the photo shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sagebrush posted:

And just for the record, here is what I would call a tastefully modded classic bike

The biggest change they've made is removing the airbox and battery, replacing them with pod filters and presumably a little lithium-ion somewhere, opening up the rear triangle. They've put on lower clip-on bars; I would go with taller ones but those aren't unreasonable. It has proper modern street tires, the custom seat fits well with the rest of the shapes, and that wonderful engine and exhaust (yes, it's an inline-6 with a 6-into-6 system) are just cleaned up and left alone. Nice.

Note that it still doesn't have loving fenders but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they just took them off for the photo shoot.

I'm not a motorcycle guy, but that bike made my nipples hard.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I was going to be rude and snarky but instead, can the bike derail go to cycle insanity or something please?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like bikes, too!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

I was going to be rude and snarky but instead, can the bike derail go to cycle insanity or something please?

how dare someone post something in a thirty thousand post thread that does not align to my interest

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BlackMK4 posted:

how dare someone post something in a thirty thousand post thread that does not align to my interest

no, we were in the wrong, three motorcycles is far too much for his delicate sensibilities.

here's some automotive insanity you big baby

That is the 245cc (14 cubic inch) 24-valve quad-overhead-cam inline-6 from the Honda RC166 racing bike. The cylinder bores are as big around as a poker chip and the valves are roughly the size of pencil erasers. It is fed by six equally tiny carburetors, spins to 20,000 RPM and developed 260hp/L naturally aspirated...in 1966. They won everything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is that the one with different sized cylinders?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e: I didn’t read this page before posting. Sorry if I triggered you, drgitlin. :shobon:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 14, 2017

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Sagebrush posted:

The cylinder bores are as big around as a poker chip and the valves are roughly the size of pencil erasers. It is fed by six equally tiny carburetors, spins to 20,000 RPM and developed 260hp/L naturally aspirated...in 1966. They won everything.

I wonder how long it will take those guys on Youtube that made an inline 4 Briggs and Stratton to fabricobble something like that out of the Honda mini 4-stroke water pumps / trimmers. Roughly 50cc and are decently built from what I have seen doing an autopsy on one. Although, I can fully compress the valve springs by thumb and the oil slinging timing belt driving the plastic camshaft threw me for a loop the first time I saw that. Shore up those few points and we will be off to the races!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

no, we were in the wrong, three motorcycles is far too much for his delicate sensibilities.

That is the 245cc (14 cubic inch) 24-valve quad-overhead-cam inline-6 from the Honda RC166 racing bike. The cylinder bores are as big around as a poker chip and the valves are roughly the size of pencil erasers. It is fed by six equally tiny carburetors, spins to 20,000 RPM and developed 260hp/L naturally aspirated...in 1966. They won everything.

This is more than acceptable to my delicate four-wheeled sensibilities.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry for starting that derail there. I just thought the bike looked really good.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

jamal posted:

Is that the one with different sized cylinders?

Are you thinking of the NR500?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NR500?wprov=sfla1

Oval cylinders (well a rectangle with two half circles on each end) with two conrods per cylinder.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
IIRC there was a 1960s F1 engine with oval cylinders too; will check my copy of Setright's book when I get back on Monday.

Although I may be confusing it for the motorbike engine...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Puddin posted:

Oval cylinders (well a rectangle with two half circles on each end)

I think the technical term is "capsule"

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

did someone say new roadkill ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCGz-2j1Oo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wayfinder posted:

Sorry not a car

Cafe racers are cool and I'm not surprised people don't 'get' the concept of them. They're bikes designed for short rides with plenty of stops (at cafes hence the name) and they're supposedly built for handling, not comfort with a firm nod towards oldschool styling.

quote:

The term developed among British motorcycle enthusiasts of the early 1960s from Watford, and London, specifically the Rocker or "Ton-Up Boys" subculture, where the bikes were used for short, quick rides between cafés, in Watford at the Busy Bee café and the Ace Café in London. In post-war Britain, car ownership was still uncommon, but by the late 1950s the average Briton could now afford a car. So by the early 1960s the café racer's significance was that a bike had come to represent speed, status and rebellion, rather than mere inability to afford a car.

BMW R Nine T

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

anyone that goes to more than one cafe in a day is just an insufferable twat though

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cafe =/= coffee shop

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

oh my god keep going i'm almost there :flashfap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://i.imgur.com/FKxPy6N.gifv

4-wheel steering :science:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put that in the terrible car thread yesterday because it is terrible. It looks alien.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nor is it new. Prelude with mechanical in 87. Volvo passives in the 90s. Gmc with the early 00 bodies.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cursedshitbox posted:

Nor is it new. Prelude with mechanical in 87. Volvo passives in the 90s. Gmc with the early 00 bodies.

Was that with the same direction 4-wheel steering or 'only for tighter turns' type?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Was that with the same direction 4-wheel steering or 'only for tighter turns' type?

The chevies had a button on the dash to flip from matching to counter steering. it was supposed to be good for maneuvering a trailer.

on the other hand....

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

The chevies had a button on the dash to flip from matching to counter steering. it was supposed to be good for maneuvering a trailer.

on the other hand....

I worked at a GM dealership when the quadrasteers were still being sold. Got a chance to drive one around the lot a bit and play with the settings. Whichever mode it was that matched the rear direction to the front was a loving trip. Asked one of the mechanics how much of a pain it was to fix them and he said it wasn't that big a deal because they'd just replace the whole loving thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cafe =/= coffee shop

:thunk:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KakerMix posted:

Yes. Depending on vehicle speed. Low speeds = rear go opposing direction for a tighter turn. Above that rear go same direction. Mazda had a similar system on the 626 of that era.

Hearsay
Mar 16, 2012

You so wrong. Imagine a diner. Pronounced caaaaf. A greasy spoon if you will.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The 4WS system on the early-mid 90s 626/MX6 was, as we called it at the time, "highly technical". What this meant was that we would quote customers several thousand dollars to fix them when they broke, and then just disconnect them when the customer, driving a car worth about 3k, understandably declined to do 4k worth of work to it.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 15, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have lived in North America for my entire life, coming up on 52 years. Not a single time have I ever heard of a bar or nightclub being referred to as a cafe. :iiam:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A cafe sells coffee and, if roadside, MAYBE pancakes. But not full meals, because that's a diner.

I have no idea WTF he's on about. They're called cafes because they sell primarily coffee. Or cafe in like three other languages

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

A cafe sells coffee and, if roadside, MAYBE pancakes. But not full meals, because that's a diner.

I have no idea WTF he's on about. They're called cafes because they sell primarily coffee. Or cafe in like three other languages

żQuieres un café, mi amigo?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Baxter you know I don't speak Spanish!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Roadkill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCGz-2j1Oo

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I was recently watching some of the early episodes of Hot Rod Garage (when F&F were still hosting), and in one of their Q&A sessions someone asked if they'd ever do a Mustang, they said they'd be super stoked to do a 69 or 70 fastback, with preference to the 69. Cool that they eventually did one, a Mach 1 even.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cafés sell coffee and pastries. Cafes sell this:

with a big mug of this:

Itzena fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 15, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

And this entire conversation about what exactly constitutes a cafe in the context of mid century British motorcycling culture is the real reason why cafe racers are terrible and so are the people that like them.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Finger Prince posted:

And this entire conversation about what exactly constitutes a cafe in the context of mid century British motorcycling culture is the real reason why cafe racers are terrible and so are the people that like them.

I put cafe-ish bars on a bone-stock 1964 triumph tr6s. It was fun for a week or two and then I switched back to stock. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Itzena posted:

Cafés sell coffee and pastries. Cafes sell this:

with a big mug of this:

This is worse than the possum/opossum distinction that Aussie cunts make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo yes please.