Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not reading this far in the thread since I'm only up through ep 4 (wanted to do a rewatch first, totally worth it), but I want to say it's cool that they got the actress who played lily kane in Veronica Mars in this. Though I am upset at myself that it took so long for me to realize the parallels, or likely direct inspiration, between her character in that show and Laura Palmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

It is really nice and that scene of Bobby learning his father really did fully believe in him and knew that he would turn out okay is incredibly sweet :)

One of the best scenes in the show and one of my favorites on TV period.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
While we're discussing things that are similar to Twin Peaks:

If you ever want to play Twin Peaks in video game form, check out Deadly Premonition. It's basically Twin Peaks seen through a Japanese interpretation. It originally was so similar to Twin Peaks that the developers were threatened with a lawsuit, so they changed it just enough that it wouldn't be infringing.

It's got some rough gameplay in spots but it's still fun, especially for Twin Peaks fans. You play a guy who's pretty much Dale Cooper who is trying to solve the murder of a girl who is pretty much Laura Palmer in a town that is pretty much Twin Peaks. You get to drive your coffee-loving self around the town and speak with residents who are pretty much Twin Peaks characters. The town is quirky with darkness brewing under the surface and the whole thing gets very supernatural.

It's pretty much a must play for Twin Peaks fans.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

...! posted:

While we're discussing things that are similar to Twin Peaks:

If you ever want to play Twin Peaks in video game form, check out Deadly Premonition. It's basically Twin Peaks seen through a Japanese interpretation. It originally was so similar to Twin Peaks that the developers were threatened with a lawsuit, so they changed it just enough that it wouldn't be infringing.

It's got some rough gameplay in spots but it's still fun, especially for Twin Peaks fans. You play a guy who's pretty much Dale Cooper who is trying to solve the murder of a girl who is pretty much Laura Palmer in a town that is pretty much Twin Peaks. You get to drive your coffee-loving self around the town and speak with residents who are pretty much Twin Peaks characters. The town is quirky with darkness brewing under the surface and the whole thing gets very supernatural.

It's pretty much a must play for Twin Peaks fans.
And if you don't want to play it, watch supergreatfriend's LP of it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you think Deadly Premonition is like Twin Peaks, wait until you see what it was like before they almost got sued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Some rough gameplay" is being really, really generous.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I honestly think Deadly Premonition plays fine, at least on the PS3 version. Just running around Greenvale, seeing where random NPC's go around to etc. is fun.

The combat sections are basically watered down Resident Evil 4 but it's not the worst thing in the world.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I still think Deadly Premonition has to be played to fully enjoy it. I think its one of the few games that benefits from having an open world, despite it being janky as hell.

If you do play it, don't put it on anything except easy, the combat is extremely bad

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
Speaking of combat I remember reading that there wasn't going to be any originally but the publisher/whoever forced Swery to add it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Raxivace posted:

I honestly think Deadly Premonition plays fine, at least on the PS3 version. Just running around Greenvale, seeing where random NPC's go around to etc. is fun.

The combat sections are basically watered down Resident Evil 4 but it's not the worst thing in the world.

Don't buy the PC version, though. It's literally unplayable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wish someone had told me that before I bought it :( (although it was only £2)

You literally have to stand still in order to aim/shoot, you can't do it while moving, it's atrocious. also I'm left-handed and there isn't an option to change WASD to the arrow keys

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you think Deadly Premonition is like Twin Peaks, wait until you see what it was like before they almost got sued

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Other than the twin boys being dwarves and pretty boy David instead of York I really dont see whats different about that version, at least going by the trailer.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Basticle posted:

Other than the twin boys being dwarves and pretty boy David instead of York I really dont see whats different about that version, at least going by the trailer.
They also made the sheriff look different in the final game. In the trailer he looks a lot more like Harry.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

You literally have to stand still in order to aim/shoot, you can't do it while moving, it's atrocious.
This is pretty standard in other survival horror games. That's exactly how it works in Residents Evil 4 & 5 as well.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

JazzFlight posted:

They also made the sheriff look different in the final game. In the trailer he looks a lot more like Harry.

Of course, nobody bothered to make deputy sheriff Emily Wyatt look less like Naomi Watts. She wasn't in Twin Peaks, after all. Watching Janey-E gives me constant Deadly Premonition flashbacks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

And More posted:

Of course, nobody bothered to make deputy sheriff Emily Wyatt look less like Naomi Watts. She wasn't in Twin Peaks, after all. Watching Janey-E gives me constant Deadly Premonition flashbacks.
It is funny that the way they changed the Cooper/Truman characters to avoid getting sued is that they just made them super ugly.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

JazzFlight posted:

It is funny that the way they changed the Cooper/Truman characters to avoid getting sued is that they just made them super ugly.

You gotta admit, it's very effective. No one's ever gonna forget Agent York's ugly mug.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's the black teeth and forehead vein that bother me most.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mods please namechange me to York's Bad Beard

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Just got caught up on the thread. The only person I know in real life that watches this is my wife and she is uh....not super thrilled about this season (she's in the "Hurry up, Coop" camp but I love her anyway).

I sat up and said "AUDREY!" when Coop saw the red shoes. I know it wasn't Audrey, but it was just one more visual clue for the old Coop. Anyway, love the show and love the discussion here. What a time to be alive.
New shoes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

This is pretty standard in other survival horror games. That's exactly how it works in Residents Evil 4 & 5 as well.

I am extremely glad we're past this. What an awful mechanic.

Minghawk
Oct 9, 2012

And More posted:

Don't buy the PC version, though. It's literally unplayable.

The PC version's fine if you use the third-party patch. 'Fine' as in properly functional, it's a still very clunky game, it's just that it's as clunky as the console versions.

The idea that they were the subject of a legal threat after the 'Rainy Woods' trailer seems to just be one of those things that people assume must have happened. It just collapsed and was cancelled because it was a bit too ambitious for the budget, as far as I can gather, and the eventual version changes a few things just because it was a few years on and it had naturally developed. If a lawsuit would have got anywhere with the original incarnation, it'd be just as valid with the final one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Minghawk posted:

The PC version's fine if you use the third-party patch. 'Fine' as in properly functional, it's a still very clunky game, it's just that it's as clunky as the console versions.

I'm using the third party patch in that video! It's busted no matter what you do, the solution to that problem I was having being "restart the computer and it might work next time"

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Downtown drinking tonight and this was in the window of a local bar. Very surreal for me.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

From Secret History of Twin Peaks:

Space Owls

I was reading the book at night and turning the page to that picture scared the poo poo out of me. :gonk:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
There's some pages (including that one, I'd guess) that 3D glasses are worth putting on for I hear

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Yeah, I think the hint is in Dr Jacoby's report on Nadine where he talks about red suppressing logic or some such. You want to look through one eye at a time so you see just the red or just the blue pictures.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xinder posted:

Downtown drinking tonight and this was in the window of a local bar. Very surreal for me.

twin peaks themed bars are the best

http://www.thebookhousepub.net/

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i once went to a Black Lodge/Roadhouse themed art installation in Berlin that was basically just a dark woody bar, with an open space that had large muscular men inserting fake and sometime real dicks into glory-holes while a large cross dresser jerked them off, with the twin peaks theme playing loudly in the background, good times?

anyways here is a ridiculous tpfwwm poster my friend found in Kiev

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 14, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

vivisectvnv posted:

i once went to a Black Lodge themed art installation in Berlin that was basically just a dark woody bar, with an open space that had large muscular men inserting fake and sometime real dicks into glory-holes while a large cross dresser jerked them off, with the twin peaks theme playing loudly in the background, good times?

You sure you didn't accidentally walk into the wrong section of the Berghain? They do hold both art exhibitions and orgies, so it could happen.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2017

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

And More posted:

You sure you didn't accidentally walk into the wrong section of the Berghain? They do hold both art exhibitions and orgies, so it could happen.

nah, it was in east berlin/kreuzberg area though, so you know...!hipsters!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, I think Deadly Premonition is quite fun and well worth it for Twin Peaks fans to play despite the jankiness. The really rough parts are the combat and a couple of QTEs you have to guess at because the time from the button prompt to failure is shorter than the fastest possible human reaction time.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Got a light?

https://twitter.com/mach1monorail/status/885627169728114690

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
When Lynch wants you to absolutely loathe a character, boy howdy do you feel it.

I'm not sure who's more contemptible at this point- S1 Leo or S3 Chad.

Sure Leo was a domestic abuser, murderer, drug runner and overall sadist- but there's just something about Chad's slow motion lunch packup that's just the absolute worst.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

When Lynch wants you to absolutely loathe a character, boy howdy do you feel it.

I'm not sure who's more contemptible at this point- S1 Leo or S3 Chad.

Sure Leo was a domestic abuser, murderer, drug runner and overall sadist- but there's just something about Chad's slow motion lunch packup that's just the absolute worst.

I still loathe Window Earle a lot more than these two. What an awful character

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Elias_Maluco posted:

They should never have shown him before the finale. He's a bad Batman '66 villain shoved into Blue Velvet and it just does not work at all.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well I mean given Lynch's limited involvement in the second season I don't think it was ever his intent for Earle to even exist.

Awfulness aside, he did give us pretty much the only piece of real information about the black lodge via his video rant.

It's sort of like his whole character was an elaborate fan ficion that by some sad miracle was filmed and aired on television. Not cannon.

I kind of like to remember things... in my own way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I mean yeah, he's maladjusted, but he also doesn't know how to do or say almost anything for himself. He's imitating what people do and say and he's fascinated by little trivial things.

Also, oh my god:

Hell yeah, motorin'! Take Dougie's broken wings and learn to fly again!

Hot drat this season is good TV, Lynch is still on! Crazy to think we're getting 18 episodes. Anything could happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell yeah, motorin'! Take Dougie's broken wings and learn to fly again!

Hot drat this season is good TV, Lynch is still on! Crazy to think we're getting 18 episodes. Anything could happen!
Considering what we’ve gotten so far in the first 9 episodes, honestly anything is possible for the remaining 9.