Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

hawowanlawow posted:

this thread is getting very bad

Indeed. It is becoming more like Undertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I thought that the single player campaign for Infinite Warfare was pretty rad, if you skip the non-mandatory Jackal missions.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Super Mario Odyssey is going to suck.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

a bone to pick posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is going to suck.

Every 3D Mario has sucked.

Every 2D Mario has sucked

Every Mario RPG craps has sucked.

Mario loving sucks.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ok we reached peak thread, wrap it up people.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Literally A Person posted:

Every 3D Mario has sucked.

Every 2D Mario has sucked

Every Mario RPG craps has sucked.

Mario loving sucks.

Heres a serious opinion: I really dont understand the reverence people have for Galaxy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I mean its cool I guess but I just found it to be a little boring and I really didnt like how on track everything is and I just want them to make a game like 64 where youre walkin around and exploring a place

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I like 3d world the best of all the 3d ones. I don't really miss the world map being a castle you walk around in, I'm over it.

3d Mario isn't amazing or anything in general.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

basic hitler posted:

cheating is not bypassing bad game design man. repairing is not supposed to be something you can just click a button for. They want you to stop when your poo poo gets hosed up, or try out different armor/weapons you've picked up, or go back in town or w/e, sell your stuff, see if there's any side poo poo you wanna do. why not just turn on godmode and rampage through content if you're not gonna accept any fail states?

witcher 3 does it right like it does a lot of stuff. You can pay a little for repairs from a smith in a town or you can use up (relatively) expensive on the fly consumables.

You're basing this opinion on the incorrect assumption that all video game designers or the corporate executives that tell the designers what to do know better than anybody else what is best for the game they're making, and are then also able to implement the best possible version of every game.

See: Oblivion's level scaling mechanic that actively punishes players as they level by making the world's enemies always level their combat abilities at a faster rate than the player's. This mechanic actually gave players the incentive to never level, which means you don't get access to a lot of the cool poo poo the developers put into the game because of their dumb, poorly conceived progression mechanics.

See also: Elder Scrolls cities. The cities in Oblivion and Skyrim are all in their own cells for no other reason than console memory constraints. This actively hurts gameplay as I can't sneak into any cities with my character that could easily scale the walls, and am instead forced to march in proudly through the city gates, which always gets me immediately spotted by the guards and chased because I have a bounty on my head. There's a mod for Elder Scrolls games that creates secret paths into each city to bypass this, and it makes the game better, full stop.

See also: Oblivion's crime/bounty system. You're seriously telling me that I can kill two guys out in the wilderness, the second guy being witness to the murder of the first guy, miles away from literally any other living thing, and the fact that literally every guard in every major city and boondock backwash town instantly knows about it... is a good game mechanic that makes the game better? And that the mod that splits bounties up into regions except when it gets over a certain level and then spills over into the rest of the game isn't a mechanical improvement?

See also: Elder Scrolls stolen loot system. You're telling me that it's a good mechanic that I can successfully steal a random fork, travel half way around the world, and any merchant I sell a bag full of stuff to can instantly pick out the stolen fork?

Basically I'm making two points here.
1. A good chunk of Oblivion and Skyrim were designed by lazy idiots who turned games that could have been great into garbage.
2. Designers don't always make the best possible decisions.

Some mods are good because they improve bad parts of otherwise fun games. Just not the kind of mods that put tits on mole rats.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 14, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/Deicidus1/status/792674512370339841

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Wow what fantastic, intentional game design.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

Elder Scrolls stolen loot system. You're telling me that it's a good mechanic that I can successfully steal a random fork, travel half way around the world, and any merchant I sell a bag full of stuff to can instantly pick out the stolen fork?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2otihe65SI

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bethesda makes random characters fall through the world geometry on purpose, it's a subtle way of telling the player "Hey, buddy, why the gently caress are you still putting up with our lazy poo poo after ten years of negative improvement"

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yet somehow Bethesda games always manage to be more fun than 90% of the garbage that is released every year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Yet somehow Bethesda games always manage to be more fun than 90% of the garbage that is released every year.
Then you're playing the wrong garbage. I'm glad I don't live in a universe where this is true.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a bone to pick posted:

Right, they are better than most garbage games, but fortunately there are also good games.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*stares at steam and the PSN store*

*The abyss starts staring back*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a bone to pick posted:

*stares at steam and the PSN store*

*The abyss starts staring back*

So basically when confronted with choices you seize up and panic.

Yes now I understand why you like Bethesda games.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr.Smasher posted:

Indeed. It is becoming more like Undertale.

I don't think undertale being dogshit is an unpopular opinion anymore. The guy that posted 3 million undertale images in the PYF weird/awesome fanart thread is one of the most ignored users on the forums.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The gaming options kind of suck right now imo. I'm waiting for mount & blade bannerlord and star wars battlefront 2. all other games available are terrible

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Check out "The end is nigh", basically a completely under-the-radar meat boy sequel of sorts, or at least a platformer made by that dude.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at the turbo-nerds that jump on my balls every time I bring up Bethesda games. Pathetic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Lol at the turbo-nerds that jump on my balls every time I bring up Bethesda games. Pathetic.

bethesda took advantage of me when I was vulnerable and young and I'll never forgive them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Undertale is Good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

it happens every time

deceitful penguin has multiple probes for his inability to shut the gently caress up about fo4

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

bethesda took advantage of me when I was vulnerable and young and I'll never forgive them
Dude, in this instance Bethesda was like the trope of a hot pervy teacher. Besides, games couldn't suck as hard as they do now without them paving the way.

There's a better way to say that but my charisma is poo poo and nobody in town likes me.

a bone to pick posted:

You scaliwag.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the problem is anyone thinking Bethesda games are games. They're basically god-game sandboxes where you get to play the boss of everything with magic powers and constantly gently caress with the world.

Balanced, exquisite RPGs they are not. Unless heavily modded, they are terribly unchallenging and have easy ways to cheese through them.

Do you ever watch any random dude play skyrim? They're usually just using whatever cool sword or ability they found last and wantonly stealing and murdering and the game is built around that. It sells because people who don't want to think about RPG builds and poo poo like that love how easy it is to get in and swing at poo poo.

Also it's probably for a younger audience than most people who dislike it, considering they played Morrowind or sometimes Daggerfall when it was fresh.

E: Skyrim is closer to goat simulator than your favorite, perfect RPG and that's, for better or worse, way more popular.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 14, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What other open world games can I steal someones pants while they are wearing them?

Honestly open to suggestions.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

What other open world games can I steal someones pants while they are wearing them?

Honestly open to suggestions.

One day u will grow up and realize you never really wanted to steal someone's pants while they were wearing them

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Online collectible card games that give you free stuff just for being a consistent part of the player base are far better than physical collectible games for a wide variety of reasons.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Online collectible card games that give you free stuff just for being a consistent part of the player base are far better than physical collectible games for a wide variety of reasons.

Agreed. They are better a relative sense, which does not contradict with the fact that all collectible card games are trash.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I mean its cool I guess but I just found it to be a little boring and I really didnt like how on track everything is and I just want them to make a game like 64 where youre walkin around and exploring a place
i completely understand this opinion even though i don't agree. galaxy 2 is a great game but it does have more of a "point A to point B" 2d mario design than a mario 64-like 3d exploration game. at least mario odyssey looks like it'll be more like the latter

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm of the opinion that video games aren't violent enough.

I mean there's no creativity in the violence / gore in most games. Like, fatalities in Mortal Kombat should be the low bar for creative violence. I remember reading about Manhunt, a game so 'violent' it was in the news and stuff. I was reading how with all the different weapons you can do a quick attack or hold down the attack button to do a super violent kill, and reading that one of the weapons was a plastic bag. I was like, "Holy poo poo, what does he do with the violent kill, fist it down their throat? Use it like a dog-poop bag to make a glove and then punch into their guts and bag up an organ, and then beat them to death with their organ in the bag?!!" Nah, he just puts it over their head and they choke. And that's a game famed for its 'violence'.

I dunno I mean its not like I want to see people suffer, it's not a sadistic thing, its just, most of gaming is about killing stuff. It could be literally anything, but its not, its 'bullet goes in head, death animation'. I guess its not 'violence' more like, graphic content that I think is lacking.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Seek therapy

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good soup! posted:

Seek therapy

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Final boss fights should be memorable final impression of the game.

They are getting to be endurance contests and drudgery.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

modern-day fps weapons are boring as gently caress and there's no real reason as to why. if it's "realism" then how come many of them have regen health?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

!Klams posted:

I'm of the opinion that video games aren't violent enough.

I mean there's no creativity in the violence / gore in most games. Like, fatalities in Mortal Kombat should be the low bar for creative violence. I remember reading about Manhunt, a game so 'violent' it was in the news and stuff. I was reading how with all the different weapons you can do a quick attack or hold down the attack button to do a super violent kill, and reading that one of the weapons was a plastic bag. I was like, "Holy poo poo, what does he do with the violent kill, fist it down their throat? Use it like a dog-poop bag to make a glove and then punch into their guts and bag up an organ, and then beat them to death with their organ in the bag?!!" Nah, he just puts it over their head and they choke. And that's a game famed for its 'violence'.

I dunno I mean its not like I want to see people suffer, it's not a sadistic thing, its just, most of gaming is about killing stuff. It could be literally anything, but its not, its 'bullet goes in head, death animation'. I guess its not 'violence' more like, graphic content that I think is lacking.

Sadly for you friend, computer ultra-violence hit it's peak with Phantasmagoria.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

donkey salami posted:

Final boss fights should be memorable final impression of the game.

They are getting to be endurance contests and drudgery.

They should be a comprehensive test of your mastery of the game's various elements. Even menu navigation.

especially menu navigating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Sadly for you friend, computer ultra-violence hit it's peak with Phantasmagoria.

That part with the gardening trowel was scary as hell when I was a kid