Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

If it doesn't get waived then I would not be impressed, Bob Day was able to walk away.

:yossame: but Culleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Tokamak posted:

When your state is a third of the country (WA by area, NSW by population), how reactive to local needs could it really be? The needs of regional NSW are different to the needs of Sydney, but the state will weigh those needs very differently. If you want a government responding to local needs wouldn't splitting the states into regional bodies (constituting the relevant councils) be a better compromise? A low population region is going to have to fight for funding regardless of whether it is with a state or federal government.

The bigger question is how much work and planning is being duplicated between government levels. If you take the state government away, the local and federal governments will have to massively increase in size to cover work performed by the state. On that basis I suspect the state is fairly efficient for the functions it performs.

Is it just me or do you seem to go back and forth a few times here... Yes, there is a lot of work being duplicated, that's why it's not fairly efficient.

Local and federal governments would increase, yes, but by less than the sum total of the state govs now. We don't just fire everyone in state government, their roles get assimilated (and yes sometimes eliminated) into a more efficient structure which isn't so heavily focused on fighting the other levels of government.

Like, why have Myki and Opal? Why not find one that works and roll it out everywhere?

Edit - Why pay for 9 health ministers? And deputy ministers? Why pay for 8 school curriculums? And so on.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 14, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Hobo Erotica posted:

Like, why have Myki and Opal? Why not find one that works and roll it out everywhere?

lmao neither work you dumb bastard

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Abolish Queensland

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Why pay for 8 school curriculums?

https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/ ??????

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

Once again, wa is the best state, because the smart rider works well. The only thing missing from it is the ability to top up via paypal.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
The smart rider is indeed awesome. WA best state.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Once again, wa is the best state, because the smart rider works well. The only thing missing from it is the ability to top up via paypal.

Opal wasn't too badly conceived, at least, because it was just 'let's just go get the company that made London's Oyster and get 'em to put it in with local branding, they've already done all the hard part'. Myki was obviously a total clusterfuck waste where by the time it became apparent it'd be easier and probably cheaper to just dump the project and contract it to someone who knew what they were doing, enough money had been sunk that it was politically unfeasible to do so and they had to commit to the poo poo results

But yeah, the fact that once the first decent one had been established in Perth the other cities just didn't extend the system to their own network is obviously stupid.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 14, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Smart rider is indeed awesome

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

Read it again, and put smart rider at the end of it you dumb bastard

edit - not that I've ever had a problem with opal, mind you.

beg your pardon, nine school curriculums

but sure sorry, if all the state ones are only minor tweaks of the Australian one then maybe it's not the best example, but in that case why have the 8 state departments anyway?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 14, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Opal wasn't too badly conceived, at least, because it was just 'let's just go get the company that made London's Oyster and get 'em to put it in with local branding, they've already done all the hard part'. Myki was obviously a total clusterfuck waste where by the time it became apparent it'd be easier and probably cheaper to just dump the project and contract it to someone who knew what they were doing, enough money had been sunk that it was politically unfeasible to do so and they had to commit to the poo poo results

But yeah, the fact that once the first decent one had been established in Perth the other cities just didn't extend the system to their own network is obviously stupid.

https://sites.google.com/site/cheaperthanmyki/

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Hobo Erotica posted:

Read it again, and put smart rider at the end of it you dumb bastard

edit - not that I've ever had a problem with opal, mind you.

lmao have you never had to catch a loving bus

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

yeah but can you fit that giant card into a hand implant huh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MikeJF posted:

Opal wasn't too badly conceived, at least, because it was just 'let's just go get the company that made London's Oyster and get 'em to put it in with local branding, they've already done all the hard part'.
We'd already sunk a shitload of time and money into integrating ticketting with nothing to show for it by that point.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hobo Erotica posted:

Is it just me or do you seem to go back and forth a few times here... Yes, there is a lot of work being duplicated, that's why it's not fairly efficient.

Local and federal governments would increase, yes, but by less than the sum total of the state govs now. We don't just fire everyone in state government, their roles get assimilated (and yes sometimes eliminated) into a more efficient structure which isn't so heavily focused on fighting the other levels of government.

Edit - Why pay for 9 health ministers? And deputy ministers? Why pay for 8 school curriculums? And so on.

I go back and forth because I have no strong opinion, and I'm speculating about the benefits.

On paper it sounds good, but you start thinking about what it entails. Perhaps the added complications of a stateless system could erode away any financial benefit. You might save on some health ministers, but if the bulk of the work is done by necessary public servants, you aren't going to be saving much. On the flip side if greater power is delegated to councils, then you may accidentally create a new layer of bureaucracy for cross-council co-ordination. The more I think about it, the less confident I feel about taking a stance.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

lmao have you never had to catch a loving bus

Yes? I take 2 small kids on busses and ferries and trains fairly regularly. Do you live in Sydney?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yes? I take 2 small kids on busses and ferries and trains fairly regularly. Do you live in Sydney?

no I only use opal every day that the machines aren't errored or not switched on you imbecile

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Sad about Ludlum, but he was an idiot for chancing it.

BBJoey posted:

Basically, if state governments run something then generally it'll be more reactive to local need, and if the federal government run something then it'll be more standardised across the country and it'll have more money behind it; either isn't a bad option depending, though obviously there are some areas where it makes sense for one side or the other to have power (eg local infrastructure and planning for state government, health and education for the feds).

The big issues come up where responsibility is shared. Then it's a free for all between nine parties where the feds have all the money but the states have all the power to actually implement whatever the federal government wants to do. These sorts of negotiations take months if not years, and at the end you get a 10 page document where the states get a small amount of money for a vaguely defined purpose and by the way you need to start over again in three years time.

This is all governed by the constitution which isn't bad as constitutions go but it's clearly a document of its time and has a huge amount of holes. For example, in education: the federal government has complete and utter control over higher education, states basically get no say at all. On the other hand, states hold the majority of power in vocational education (this doesn't stop the feds trying to muscle in on the action through for example VET FEE-HELP, which was rorted insanely hard and was a complete failure of a program). This is a pet peeve of mine because it's an insurmountable barrier to creating a joined up tertiary education system the likes of which you see in Europe (for example, Germany's system is pretty top class), so there's this idiotic tug of war between vocational education and university education that serves noone. Meanwhile, responsibility of schooling is shared between governments, but by virtue of funding agreements states have the power in public schools and the federal government has the power in private schools. Theoretically it forces the states and federal government to come to a compromise that benefits both the individual states and the country as a whole, but in reality it's a complete clusterfuck.

This was a rare good post from you :golfclap: Power between the feds and states is negotiable under the Constitution, because the states have the choice to delegate it. For instance NSW refused to give up immigration for 22 years after Federation, and WA technically has a floating secession trigger but says it won't use it.

We only have a choice of clusterfuck. Federation could fix more but it politically suits state and federal to maintain governing clusterfucks so we're stuck with it. They both need excuses for inaction and your post demonstrates some of the reasons.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

no I only use opal every day that the machines aren't errored or not switched on you imbecile

dude are you ok?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

Hold on, I know this is probably a waste of time, but what was your thought process with this one exactly? Did you think I was saying "look myki and opal are so great, we should definitely let the states keep buying all their own systems" ?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Metrocard in Adelaide is one of those things that was unexpectedly well rolled out.

Quickly adopted, works perfectly, and cheaper than the previous system. Wins all around.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

MikeJF posted:

On the other hand, how much duplication and waste exists by having to run all the overhead of seven different health departments and hospital networks, or similarly for education, instead of one.

And organisationally the better divider for those would probably be Metro Health and Rural Health, rather than states.

Urgh. The hospital system is even more hosed than you realise, at least in NSW and VIC. Surprisingly, QLD has it right, with only one database for the whole of the public hospitals in the state - ie. you can get tests done in a Cairns hospital and your doctors can get results from the Laboratory Information System in Brisbane. NSW has at least 4 different sectors. And none of them have any way to access for results on any other hospital besides from their sector.
- Getting admitted to or having tests/x-rays etc done in Campbelltown, and Westmead won't have that history if you turned up there unconscious. Royal North Shore has its own system, same with RPA. Going to a sexual health centre in Parramatta and sexual health centres in the city or in Liverpool won't have access to those results if you swung by there.

This is sorta poo poo when it comes to medicare billing because some only are allowed a set number per year, such as molecular testing for Hep C and Hep B. In theory you're not meant to have more than 4 of those tests per year if you have either Hep B or C. Any after these and you won't be covered.

This is not even covering whatever Laverty, Douglas Hanley Moir, Medlab and other smaller labs do either, because that definitely isn't on any state Lab Info System.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hobo Erotica posted:

dude are you ok?

You're Gladys Berejiklian and I claim my five pounds.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqgMsjszv4

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Senor Tron posted:

The Metrocard in Adelaide is one of those things that was unexpectedly well rolled out.

Quickly adopted, works perfectly, and cheaper than the previous system. Wins all around.

SA state ALP have mostly managed to just get poo poo done, in a time when the state has been on the edge of totally hosed due to the death of the auto industry. Not without failures and scandals, but they're batting well above the average of the rest of the country.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

SA state ALP have mostly managed to just get poo poo done, in a time when the state has been on the edge of totally hosed due to the death of the auto industry. Not without failures and scandals, but they're batting well above the average of the rest of the country.

Was having a convo with coworker today about this and agreeing it is impressive how in the last couple of years the SA ALP appears to have said gently caress it, given up a lot of political games, and just focused on doing good poo poo while they are in power.

edit: However the conclusion of our conversation was along the lines of "Too little, too late, death for SA and Australia is certain".

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 14, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

All power to the Soviets.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I literally cannot believe that Australia doesn't allow dual citizens to hold elected office.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as this is a country that didn't even allow Australians to hold dual citizenship until Rupert Murdoch wanted it, but jesus...

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/07/14/howard-defends-trump-says-he-believes-even-less-in-climate-change-these-days/

:dogbutton:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

HookShot posted:

I literally cannot believe that Australia doesn't allow dual citizens to hold elected office.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, seeing as this is a country that didn't even allow Australians to hold dual citizenship until Rupert Murdoch wanted it, but jesus...

Dual citizens can't hold office, but be sure to ask about our office holder sponsorship scheme! For only tens of thousands of dollars in political donations, your foreign government, company or individual can directly influence policy!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If was old enough to not have to deal with the consequences and selfish enough to not care about others then sure, I wouldn't believe in proven science either.

Banish him to the outback.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man it looks like Ludlam wont be returning, this being a chance for a career change for him. :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
gonna get that plum lobbying job ya see

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
can't blame the dude, parliament is a toxic mess these days (all days?)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Anidav posted:

News reports are coming in of a virgin sacrifice in the Campbelltown Council Chambers and Scott Ludlum suffering from a sudden heart attack.

Ludlam wouldn't come close to topping the list for this.

This does make the right wingers in NSW arguing against a candidate probity process even more hilariously stupid though

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

beg your pardon, nine school curriculums

but sure sorry, if all the state ones are only minor tweaks of the Australian one then maybe it's not the best example, but in that case why have the 8 state departments anyway?

state govs are the ones that handle distributing funding to public schools, which I assume requires a fair bit of work

but the money that they distribute mostly comes straight from the federal government so they're essentially middlemen :yum:

ewe2 posted:

This was a rare good post from you :golfclap: Power between the feds and states is negotiable under the Constitution, because the states have the choice to delegate it. For instance NSW refused to give up immigration for 22 years after Federation, and WA technically has a floating secession trigger but says it won't use it.

We only have a choice of clusterfuck. Federation could fix more but it politically suits state and federal to maintain governing clusterfucks so we're stuck with it. They both need excuses for inaction and your post demonstrates some of the reasons.

first of all: how dare you, how dare you even begin to imply that I've ever made a bad post.

second of all, it's true that theoretically the states could more or less abolish themselves by handing authority over to the federal government. the problem of course is that they have no intrinsic incentive to do so, so the only real way for the feds to take powers assigned to the states in the constitution is to straight up bribe them with oodles of cash, which is a lose-lose from the federal side because they're essentially giving away a lot of money for the opportunity to spend even more money now on additional responsibilities.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 15, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Would his replacement be the first person with cerebral palsy in the senate?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Its okay, he is going to be dead soon.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

Its okay, he is going to be dead soon.

Under no circumstances should his tombstone be used as a public urinal.

No circumstances.

*taps side of nose slowly*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

quote:

Could this be Sydney’s cheapest waterfront property?

Right on a sandy beach, with absolutely stunning 270-degree views out to the water in a quiet corner of southern Sydney, it’s priced at just $350,000.

“It’s a little slice of waterfront heaven,” says owner Matt Short. “And it’s in a real blue-ribbon suburb in an area where houses are normally extremely expensive.”

And the downside? It doesn’t have any power or running water, it’s on a 92-square-metre patch, has an interior space of just nine square metres, and is rather better known as a heritage-listed weatherboard boatshed.

Okay so it's confirmed that Domain is a deep-cover satire page now, right?

• Locked thread