Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Prey is tied with Breath of the Wild for my favorite game of the year. They're the only two games that I've been unable to put down from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hope so, be neat to have something scoped with long range.

That was something I really liked though, your helmet has a built-in zoom both before and after the psychoscope gets installed, and you can use it while firing. A++.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Serf posted:

Prey is tied with Breath of the Wild for my favorite game of the year. They're the only two games that I've been unable to put down from start to finish.

That's the weird thing about Prey. The first hour or so I was kind of ambivalent about it, then about two hours in I started enjoying it, and right around the time I got to the GUTS I was completely engrossed and couldn't stop playing it. The last time that happened to me was probably the release of World of Warcraft in 2005 or KotoR back in 2003.

Prey isn't for everyone, and I can see why it didn't sell fantastically well - like Feels Villeneuve said, it's a mechanical remake of a game that most gamers don't know about, despite that game being a cornerstone of the FPS genre. But that's fine. Arkane aims at a demographic that remembers and enjoyed System Shock and Thief and the original Deus Ex, and I'm really loving glad for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its been a week since i beat this and i'm still butthurt about how lame the last 3rd of the game was combined with console load times

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I definitely read a very detailed reddit(?) post about sound and data files for a gun that had an AI and would talk to you about what was going on and eventually you got a quest to either upgrade him into a killing machine or remake him into a reployer. The idea was supposed to be about how the AI learns from watching your behavior and will eventually beg you to either make him an upgraded evil killing machine or retire him from violence.

This was cool but they scrapped it because:

It was competing with January for disembodied robot voices talking to you

It felt weird to design an awesome gun that rewards you by removing itself from the game

It shed too much light on reployers

This reminds me a lot of Steve (& Super Steve) from Dark Cloud, but I'd rather get a new enemy type than a new gun.

I'll scream it from the mountaintops but give me a Typhon SA-X... like a MY-T

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they tried to make the nightmare the SAX but goofed it hard by having it spawn in areas where it will never reach you or plopping it right on top of you when you leave an elevator. its just a dumb joke i avoided the quest that stops them spawning the whole game cause it was really funny when that timer comes up

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

3Romeo posted:

That's the weird thing about Prey. The first hour or so I was kind of ambivalent about it, then about two hours in I started enjoying it, and right around the time I got to the GUTS I was completely engrossed and couldn't stop playing it. The last time that happened to me was probably the release of World of Warcraft in 2005 or KotoR back in 2003.

Prey isn't for everyone, and I can see why it didn't sell fantastically well - like Feels Villeneuve said, it's a mechanical remake of a game that most gamers don't know about, despite that game being a cornerstone of the FPS genre. But that's fine. Arkane aims at a demographic that remembers and enjoyed System Shock and Thief and the original Deus Ex, and I'm really loving glad for it.

I'm so glad they did too. Those older games are, well, old, and they haven't aged super well in many ways. Which is if you can get the games to run well on a modern system to begin with.

Good god I loved dishonored and I love this game. I was pretty 'eh' about it at first, especially with how fragile you are, but I had fun sneaking around dudes and exploring. By the time I was crawling through Psychotronics and on my way to the guts I was pretty hooked and I probably would've played until I fell asleep if I didn't have to go to work the next day. And the various fights and difficulties and deaths just made me try new tactics and mess around, even if some of my favorites ones didn't work out so well (like sticking grenades to crates and throwing them at enemies). But it's still fun having to mix up new tactics or stuff to try and figure out fights. Blasting psychoshock and dumping a few shotgun shells may work against a single target or maybe two, but it's not great against groups. I've really got to try a run focusing on the psi powers because it's so hard to not just use the shotgun. (I love the loving shotgun).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bust Rodd posted:

It shed too much light on reployers
I love that this was a serious reason to not do something. :allears:
loving reployers, man.

Real hurthling! posted:

i avoided the quest that stops them spawning the whole game
It doesn't stop them spawning, just gives you a few limited-use 'get out of jail free' cards where you can activate a signal and make the nightmare gently caress off instantly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ffs I have the glitch where the I and Thou trophy doesn't unlock. I saved everyone and did their side quests and the Igwe robot said my empathy was super high but nothing. Why.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Did you help them escape on the shuttle?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yes, everyone was on the shuttle. Including all the people from the cargo bay.

I accidentally killed 1 human that was brainwashed by a telepath early in the game. It's why I didn't get the Do No Harm trophy. Did that gently caress me?

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I've heard in this thread that it doesn't matter but I can't confirm personally, since I didn't kill anyone when I got that achievement. Did you save those people in the escape pods?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

lambskin posted:

I've heard in this thread that it doesn't matter but I can't confirm personally, since I didn't kill anyone when I got that achievement. Did you save those people in the escape pods?

Yes. Looking at the chart of items that gives you positive empathy I did literally all of them.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

That sucks, must be a bug like you said. Have you tried doing the ending sequence over again to see if it triggers?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I've done the sacrifice and escape on the shuttle. I guess I should give the nullwave ending a try?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes. Looking at the chart of items that gives you positive empathy I did literally all of them.

Happened to me the first time. Not deliberately, but every action i made pushed me in that direction, but the thing didn't unlock. what could have interfered with this is 1. a couple humans got killed by a telepath during combat 2. the dude in psychotronics gets killed by random enemies later in the game and blamed on the player. 3. in my case I dicked around with the couple in the escape pod in shuttle bay. Eventually i went out and did the good ending for that quest but I probably gave them a couple of heart attacks before that happened.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Weirdly I got I and Thou even though I didn't help everyone escape on the shuttle. I'd done everything up to where I was supposed to meet Igwe after subduing what's his face but in a bit of confusion on my part around what was the ending I left via Alex's escape pod at that point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

Happened to me the first time. Not deliberately, but every action i made pushed me in that direction, but the thing didn't unlock. what could have interfered with this is 1. a couple humans got killed by a telepath during combat 2. the dude in psychotronics gets killed by random enemies later in the game and blamed on the player. 3. in my case I dicked around with the couple in the escape pod in shuttle bay. Eventually i went out and did the good ending for that quest but I probably gave them a couple of heart attacks before that happened.

You can save that guy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

You can save that guy.

the guy in the experiment? I saved him in the scripted bit, but during the end game I had to come back to psychotronics for plot related things; I found him running away from a voltaic phantom at 1/3rd health. I assume he got killed by another hostile or an environmental hazard in the level.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

the guy in the experiment? I saved him in the scripted bit, but during the end game I had to come back to psychotronics for plot related things; I found him running away from a voltaic phantom at 1/3rd health. I assume he got killed by another hostile or an environmental hazard in the level.

That part is also scripted, you can kill the aliens before they get him and he continues to very proactively stand around doing nothing.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

turn off the TV posted:

That part is also scripted, you can kill the aliens before they get him and he continues to very proactively stand around doing nothing.

It sucks so much because I desperately wanted to have Walton Goggins follow me around being a sassy dirtbag

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I had the guy in the experiment (I chose to free him early on) get killed by Phantoms while revisiting that area later on in the game and still got the No Human Kills and Maximum Empathy trophies/achievements.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Huh. Weird In my successful run I just barricaded him in his glass cage with copious use of the glue gun.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

I love that this was a serious reason to not do something. :allears:
loving reployers, man.

Does the game ever tip its hand about what they were actually meant for? At first I ignored them, after a few audio logs it confused me, and after a few more where it was lampshaded it started to get funny, but there's so much to explore I can never tell if I just missed something.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
They reploy

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't read the whole thread, but one thing I've been wondering about that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, the Typhon very much remind me of the aliens in the aborted XCOM FPS from 2010. Does anyone know if that's more than just a coincidence? 2K Marin was made up of ex-Irrational people after Bioshock, and it seems possible that more than a few of them have found their way to Arkane and worked on Prey, but the whole XCOM development story is so much of a cluster-gently caress that I have no idea who was responsible for what, or how far along the game was before it got repurposed into The Bureau.

But look at this trailer and tell me there aren't some proto-Typhons right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdVb4UnqO7A

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't read the whole thread, but one thing I've been wondering about that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere, the Typhon very much remind me of the aliens in the aborted XCOM FPS from 2010. Does anyone know if that's more than just a coincidence? 2K Marin was made up of ex-Irrational people after Bioshock, and it seems possible that more than a few of them have found their way to Arkane and worked on Prey, but the whole XCOM development story is so much of a cluster-gently caress that I have no idea who was responsible for what, or how far along the game was before it got repurposed into The Bureau.

But look at this trailer and tell me there aren't some proto-Typhons right there.

Oh wow, I hadn't seen that before. Shame it got canned - there's totally a Black inky Typhon vibe going on there.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
oh the typhon super look like silicoids in The Bureau. But still like normal-ish life forms and not freaky silicone based monsters.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How's the bureau like? I've never heard of it, even!

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Combat is a budget version of Mass Effect's - which is already nothing special. Nice setting/60s environments though, and it also has a neat meta twist during the final hour and half.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its kind of bland the whole way through, but it isn't the worst XCOM shooter they could have made.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The easiest way to protect the guy after freeing him is to lock him in the armory right next door. Stuck, scared, safe. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Its kind of bland the whole way through, but it isn't the worst XCOM shooter they could have made.

I saved up allowance and bought x-com enforcer as a kid :smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For the No Needles trophy can you just bum rush through the game as fast as possible or is everything more difficult than that?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vib Rib posted:

The easiest way to protect the guy after freeing him is to lock him in the armory right next door. Stuck, scared, safe. :colbert:

The easiest way to protect the guy is not to free him :science:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

aniviron posted:

Does the game ever tip its hand about what they were actually meant for? At first I ignored them, after a few audio logs it confused me, and after a few more where it was lampshaded it started to get funny, but there's so much to explore I can never tell if I just missed something.

Apparently somebody made the asset and thought it looked cool and called it a reployer, and nobody including him had any ideas for what it was supposed to actually do so they just... ran with that. :allears:

(They are, of course, for killing enemies with Leverage 3.)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I sped through that area, saw ol dude, didn't gently caress with him or his drama, I had a psychowhatzit to put on the spooky core coral . I got credit for saving him. Guess I did it fast enough.

Then the robot lady said she would a done it too and I was all, "whatever robutt, no you wouldn't"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its not like he'll make it onto the shuttle anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Hannibal Rex posted:

He even throws a proto Nullwave/EMP at one point.