Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"I'm normally in everything!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

He was in a band with Craig Ferguson! :haw:

I remember a few years ago reading The War for Late Night, which came out in 2010 and was about the Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno fiasco. It talks about Ferguson in one section and briefly mentions something said by "his former band member (and also actor) Peter Capaldi".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It was a real shame they never booked Capaldi on the Late Late Show after he was cast as the Doctor.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would love to see Craig Ferguson in Doctor Who (and you know he would do it in an instant) but I can't imagine what role he would fit in.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Senor Tron posted:

I would love to see Craig Ferguson in Doctor Who (and you know he would do it in an instant) but I can't imagine what role he would fit in.

As much as I love Michelle gomez, he should have been the master to Capaldi's Doctor.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
^^^:agreed:

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm in two minds about Olivia Colman, because on the one hand I've seen her in so many things that I'm a little bit sick of her, but on the other hand casting an average looking woman in her mid-forties as the lead in a franchise like this is exactly the kind of bold thing that I'd loving love to see.

We know what lessons 12 needed from his Pompeii patriarch, just imagine what she would have needed to take from being partially Prisoner Zero. Having needle teeth means you have to gulp more than chew? Comatose people have really boring dreams? Don't ever overlook nurse Rory's? Don't live in Broadchurch for more than a year?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Perhaps in a sequel to the Dream Doctor episode. There are two new Doctors in the TARDIS brought forth from the twelfth doctors psyche, one is the personification of his confidence, and the other his paranoia.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BSam posted:

Perhaps in a sequel to the Dream Doctor episode. There are two new Doctors in the TARDIS brought forth from the twelfth doctors psyche, one is the personification of his confidence, and the other his paranoia.

Well the revival has had quite a few scenes where they are clambering around on the outside of the TARDIS in space...

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Well the revival has had quite a few scenes where they are clambering around on the outside of the TARDIS in space...

Hey Doctor! Oxygen's for losers!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

BSam posted:

Both played by Michael Jayston.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Apparently, they are going to tell us who is playing the next Doctor after the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday!!

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Canned Panda posted:

Apparently, they are going to tell us who is playing the next Doctor after the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday!!

Is that the real prize for winning this year? I guess that means that they expect it to leak next week and want to get out ahead of it. I'm really hoping that it is something weird and unexpected and not just 'young white male actor who did a little telly and a few well reviewed theatre pieces'.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kris Marshall is even money at the moment. Odds have definitely taken a tumble.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is 9/2, Jodie Whittaker is 11/2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TinTower posted:

Kris Marshall is even money at the moment. Odds have definitely taken a tumble.

He's leaving some show called Death In Paradise this year, right? Makes sense, since he's recently available.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

He's leaving some show called Death In Paradise this year, right? Makes sense, since he's recently available.

Yeah and reading about him leaving he wants to spend more time at home with his family since his eldest is starting school. Speculation now seems to be revolving around Broadchurch and Kris Marshal.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is 9/2, Jodie Whittaker is 11/2.
Either one of these would own. Kris Marshall can gently caress right off.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Having Kris Marshall as the new Doctor might just be enough to make my wife quit watching Doctor Who. She stopped watching Death in Paradise because of him.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I've learnt from Catherine Tate and Matt Lucas not to dismiss someone on Doctor Who just because they were in something else I utterly despise. But yeah, if it's Kris Marshall, I'm done. Nothing says unambitious, small, Saturday afternoon BBC programming than your lead being a guy from My Family.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I still want to give the new showrunner and Doctor a chance but man if it is a boring choice I am not going to give it a ton of leeway

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I've learnt from Catherine Tate and Matt Lucas not to dismiss someone on Doctor Who just because they were in something else I utterly despise. But yeah, if it's Kris Marshall, I'm done. Nothing says unambitious, small, Saturday afternoon BBC programming than your lead being a guy from My Family.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind Robert Lindsay or Zoe Wanamaker

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Guy A. Person posted:

I still want to give the new showrunner and Doctor a chance but man if it is a boring choice I am not going to give it a ton of leeway

I've seen nothing he's done previous, what makes him so boring (aside from being another generic looking white guy)? Not arguing, just genuinely curious. Is he a poo poo actor?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've seen nothing he's done previous, what makes him so boring (aside from being another generic looking white guy)? Not arguing, just genuinely curious. Is he a poo poo actor?

Did you see Love Actually?
He was the weasely poo poo that went to America because girls there are "easier".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Thomas Sangster would make a good Doctor, now I think about it.

Or Liam Neeson. Or Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Or hell, Keira Knightley isn't too busy these days since Pirates 5 wrapped, is she?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Stairs posted:

Did you see Love Actually?
He was the weasely poo poo that went to America because girls there are "easier".

And this is why the choice, assuming it's him, baffles me. Love Actually was FOURTEEN years ago. Like, this is because they want someone young and hot like Smith and Tennant? Nothing says that like a bland dude in his forties that your gran watches in a whodunnit.

I kinda feel bad for the dude, because the audience is going to be at best underwhelmed, at worst he'll be torn apart for not being sexy enough by one faction, and for being the boring, safe choice by another. I really, really hope this was forced on Chibnall by the Beeb, because if it was his free choice, it speaks to a very, very unambitious view of things. Of course, if it was the BBC, I half suspect it's setting the show up to fail to the point where they can cancel it.

I hope it's actually Waller-Bridge and the bookies are keeping the odds a little longer for her because of the lack of precedent. (Yeah, yeah, I know, that one goon has pissed in everyone's cornflakes and made it clear they're not doing anything interesting)

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Olivia Coleman or gtfo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What the other people said. His most notable role is being pretty forgettably unfunny in a sappy movie from over a decade ago. Maybe he has grown as an actor and is going to bring some Eccleston-esque pathos to the role or some Smithian energy or something entirely new? I think he will be a slightly older Tennant redux.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Eccleston had years of "hard northern bastard" to draw upon. Kris Marshall may well be able to pull it off, but he is by far the least interesting option. That said, I eventually warmed to Smith and I think he was better than Tennant (Smith at least seemed slightly off, which is what I want from a Doctor, rather than a Pat Sharp impersonator).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Eccleston had years of "hard northern bastard" to draw upon. Kris Marshall may well be able to pull it off, but he is by far the least interesting option. That said, I eventually warmed to Smith and I think he was better than Tennant (Smith at least seemed slightly off, which is what I want from a Doctor, rather than a Pat Sharp impersonator).

Do you mean Tennant or Marhsall for that last comment because Jesus, I never thought about it but Marshall DOES look like Sharp!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Darth Brooks posted:

Having Kris Marshall as the new Doctor might just be enough to make my wife quit watching Doctor Who. She stopped watching Death in Paradise because of him.

He will forever be that BT tosser to me.

But I will give him a chance for an episode or two.
I thought Matt Smith was going to be the worst, but ended up to be my personal favourite.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It really is incredible how horrendous that first promo picture of Matt Smith was given how incredible he ended up being

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Riptor posted:

It really is incredible how horrendous that first promo picture of Matt Smith was given how incredible he ended up being

Yeah, that reveal image was completely unlike the style and tone of 11's run (especially the first season). That's why I'm not gonna put too much stock in however they introduce 13.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Riptor posted:

Yeah, after my very public wrong call ITT (well in a previous one) about that, I will keep an open mind til I see the new Doctor on film.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Darth Brooks posted:

Really? I like him, although Ben Miller was of course far superior. He'd make a good Doctor somewhere between Smith and Tennant I think. If we need to have another youngish white guy, I'm ok with him. Of course I would prefer some "daring" casting like a PoC or a woman.

Or a ginger.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 15, 2017

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm still holding out hope for Richard Ayoade.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Richard Ayoade.

As much as I'd love that, Aoyade is not really an actor. Then again, maybe he can just give his truth, instead of a performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvbEExv72eM

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Richard Ayoade would also be an appropriate person to have in a crunch, as most people can't handle the crunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4c9wUIY9IQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As much as I'd love that, Aoyade is not really an actor. Then again, maybe he can just give his truth, instead of a performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvbEExv72eM

He was president of Footlights at Cambridge uni, so I think he's got some inkling of acting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

He was president of Footlights at Cambridge uni, so I think he's got some inkling of acting.

From what I understand though, he's not really fond of acting, and would rather concentrate on the behind the scenes stuff, like directing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Current odds: Whitaker Evs, Marshall 5/2, Waller-Bridge 4/1, Rosenthal 8/1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

TinTower posted:

Current odds: Whitaker Evs,.

Forest!?

• Locked thread