Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Does this thread also do manga recommendations? I tried looking for a thread specifically for that, but I only found this and the thread where people post a bunch of images from different series. If this is the wrong place then I apologize.

If it's the right place: What are some manga with well drawn scifi worlds? I've already read everything by Otomo and Nihei, as well as other well known stuff like Nausicaa and GitS. I particularly love the architectural draftsmanship of Otomo and Nihei's stuff and will overlook weak stories (Nihei doesn't do much for me) if a series does that aspect well. GitS, on the other hand, isn't really what I'm looking for as its artwork isn't really focused on the world. Miyazaki's Nausicaa still fits, but not as well as the first two artists. Beautiful world, less of a draftsmanship quality. Outside of Japan, I also really love the work of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, for the same reasons.

If you like Nihei, the most obvious thing that comes to mind is Dorohedoro. It has the same sort of "unconventional" scifi thing going on (though I'd say it's more unconventional than Nihei's stuff).

I think the author actually worked as an assistant to Nihei at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Totally agree. Shiki is fantasy but it could easily have been a real story because you could replace vampires with a minority with some bad stereotype. That's what makes it even scarier.

Higurashi just looks like a standard early-mid 2000s anime while Shiki has a more distinct style which might put off some people. I thought maybe Clamp did the characters in Shiki because they have the same sharp/angular characters as Clamp shows like Code Geass. I prefer Shiki's style way more than the generic Higurashi style.

Higurashi is also way longer because it has two seasons. Meanwhile, Shiki is only 22 episode/1 full season with a great ending.

Only bad thing about Shiki is that it is a slow burn. I don't mind that but if you want cliffhangers and the plot appearing immediately Shiki isn't that.

I'm a sucker for style so Shiki is def my bag. I don't think the slow ramp up is a negative, but it def is a slow burn. It really works for me but mileage varies. For what it is Higurashi does hook you way more convincingly way earlier, though it takes a bit to figure out what's going on with that hook.

The biggest thing holding Higurashi back is the art. The art from the original source is really really bad (literally amateur) and studio deen is not, uh, good. The era is not responsible for the bad art, it aired concurrently almost with Code Geass so it really is down to the original designs and a lackluster studio. Anecdotally, my ex-roommate is the sort that gravitates to generic (IMO bad) art and is put off by more stylistic stuff so these sorts of bizarre creatures do exist so the positives and negatives of each are really up to the individual.

Anyone who goes into it, watch them first two seasons and feel very very very free NOT to watch the incredibly terrible (wholly original?) OVAs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

If you like Nihei, the most obvious thing that comes to mind is Dorohedoro. It has the same sort of "unconventional" scifi thing going on (though I'd say it's more unconventional than Nihei's stuff).

I think the author actually worked as an assistant to Nihei at some point.

Yeah, Google image results indicate this is very much up my alley. I'm jotting down the other recommendations for later, but this will be first up.

Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bugblatter posted:

Does this thread also do manga recommendations? I tried looking for a thread specifically for that, but I only found this and the thread where people post a bunch of images from different series. If this is the wrong place then I apologize.

If it's the right place: What are some manga with well drawn scifi worlds? I've already read everything by Otomo and Nihei, as well as other well known stuff like Nausicaa and GitS. I particularly love the architectural draftsmanship of Otomo and Nihei's stuff and will overlook weak stories (Nihei doesn't do much for me) if a series does that aspect well. GitS, on the other hand, isn't really what I'm looking for as its artwork isn't really focused on the world. Miyazaki's Nausicaa still fits, but not as well as the first two artists. Beautiful world, less of a draftsmanship quality. Outside of Japan, I also really love the work of Jean "Moebius" Giraud, for the same reasons.

Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, and Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles, in that order. All three have some of the most outlandish, wild, and fantastic sci-fi designs, artwork, settings and story out there.

edit: some spreads:

and a robot dog

the first series is from the early 90's and the artwork noticeably improves over the course of all three series. Kishiro is extremely good at action scenes and kinetic energy, in addition to crazy sci-fi designs.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 11, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Getting some Blood-C vibes from Shiki and I'm only 4 eps in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, and Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles, in that order. All three have some of the most outlandish, wild, and fantastic sci-fi designs, artwork, settings and story out there.

edit: some spreads:

and a robot dog

the first series is from the early 90's and the artwork noticeably improves over the course of all three series. Kishiro is extremely good at action scenes and kinetic energy, in addition to crazy sci-fi designs.

Maybe wait until November when the deluxe hardcover Omnibus run starts for Battle Angel Alita. It's very much out of print otherwise.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved the Castlevania Anime that just came out on Netflix, and I really want more of that kind of funny, well animated, gory goodness.

Dubbed preferably, I like to multi task, and subbed isn't good for that.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 11, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turtlicious posted:

I loved the Castlevania Anime that just came out on Netflix, and I really want more of that kind of funny, well animated, gory goodness.

Hellsing (either anime), Drifters, Vampire Hunter D?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should have mentioned Dubbed only, and I saw the Vampire Hunter D movie, I didn't realize there was an anime as well!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turtlicious posted:

I should have mentioned Dubbed only, and I saw the Vampire Hunter D movie, I didn't realize there was an anime as well!

Uh, there isn't - I was meaning the movie. Sorry!

Also, afaik Hellsing was dubbed - I remember watching it when I was a teenager and loving Anderson's scottish growl. It's not the best thing in the world, but I adored it. Not sure where it's streaming now, though, sorry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

Uh, there isn't - I was meaning the movie. Sorry!

Also, afaik Hellsing was dubbed - I remember watching it when I was a teenager and loving Anderson's scottish growl. It's not the best thing in the world, but I adored it. Not sure where it's streaming now, though, sorry.

Watch Hellsing Ultimate instead of the original series, its waaaay better.

Also skip the original Vampire Hunter D movie and watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust instead. It's not only dubbed, it was animated for the english dub script instead of awkwardly-paused mouthflap-matching.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you want a version of Higurashi with acceptable art, anime/manga/VN or otherwise, your only real option is the VN on Steam with the PS3 sprites/background patches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Turtlicious posted:

Not as gory, per se, but Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might be up your alley.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I didn't find the Higurashi anime's art that hard to get used to. It definitely suffers from generic poor-quality mid-2000s coloring and such, but the over-the-top crazy faces were great, and the second season's art overall seemed to be a bit of an improvement over the first season. For such a hosed up show, Higurashi only took itself remotely seriously half the time anyway, so the sometimes-questionable artwork didn't bother me much and I thought it was a pretty drat fun watch.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Cyber City Oedo 808

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBXPsetOHM

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I saw some really cool animation in some Gunbuster clips, and since it's Hideaki Anno, I want to check it out, but do you just start with the TV show?

There's also a bunch of cut or edited material, which makes this a pain to navigate - as usual.

Captain Invictus posted:

Not as gory, per se, but Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might be up your alley.
Speaking of, I tried to buy this from Amazon UK a while back, but the Brotherhood version was the one most prominently featured in most places. What's the versioning on this, and where do I start, preferably with a Blu-ray option?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ufarn posted:

I saw some really cool animation in some Gunbuster clips, and since it's Hideaki Anno, I want to check it out, but do you just start with the TV show?

There's also a bunch of cut or edited material, which makes this a pain to navigate - as usual.

there is no gunbuster tv show. there is a six-episode ova, and a movie that's just edited together with clips from the ova like the movie version of macross plus. watch the ova cause it's badass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

there is no gunbuster tv show. there is a six-episode ova, and a movie that's just edited together with clips from the ova like the movie version of macross plus. watch the ova cause it's badass

Specifically the Blu-Ray version if you can get it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stinks like a week old fish

That op still loving owns

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ufarn posted:

Speaking of, I tried to buy this from Amazon UK a while back, but the Brotherhood version was the one most prominently featured in most places. What's the versioning on this, and where do I start, preferably with a Blu-ray option?
I honestly don't know about the blurays, but I don't recall there really being "versions" of brotherhood as in cut content and stuff. If nothing else I believe crunchyroll has it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

I honestly don't know about the blurays, but I don't recall there really being "versions" of brotherhood as in cut content and stuff. If nothing else I believe crunchyroll has it?

I think you'll find they mean Full Metal Alchemist in general :ssh:. The cut/edited material's about Gunbuster.

ufarn posted:

FMA follows the manga for a bit and eventually wanders off to its own plot and conclusions, Brotherhood follows the manga much more closely. Brotherhood's the better series on the whole, though FMA's perfectly good aside from some stupid stuff right at the end. The only real issue with Brotherhood is it assumes you've already seen the first 12-15-odd episodes of content from FMA, which are a recollection of events starting in the Elric Brother's childhood leading right up to the actual 'present' day in the series. All you really miss out on is knowing who one recurring character is when they appear, and they'll outright-state what their beef is with the Elrics anyway.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

At a summer camp one year my friends and I made up our own sign language. It was almost exclusively made up of curse words and we only used it to hurl abuse at each other.

This show sounds like that 10 year old me wrote the dialogue. Amazing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
You wouldn't recognise a goddam quality anime if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your loving dick.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ufarn posted:

Just watch Brotherhood. You're not going to miss anything. I think the first three seasons are available on Netflix if you like streaming (at least in the US)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Galvanik posted:

At a summer camp one year my friends and I made up our own sign language. It was almost exclusively made up of curse words and we only used it to hurl abuse at each other.

This show sounds like that 10 year old me wrote the dialogue. Amazing.

Yeah this is why so many people hate dubs. I went and found a subbed version, it's good, thanks for the recommendation thread!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The cut/edited material's about Gunbuster.

Uh, I guess if you watch the way cut down movie version? Just watch the six OVA eps. The movie is pointless unless you just feel like a refresher and have an hour less time to live (and its a much much dirtier transfer comparing the movie bluray v the eps bluray). It basically just runs through the first 3 episodes to get to the climax, which in turn dilutes it, like just about any compilation movie. The episodes are better in every conceivable way IMO.

At least the Diebuster movie has a little new footage, at the cost of tremendous amount of character development.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cyber city oedo 808 dub is amazing, actually

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

Just watch Brotherhood. You're not going to miss anything. I think the first three seasons are available on Netflix if you like streaming (at least in the US)

Hulu has the entire show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the last 12 eps are, or were, missing on Netflix for some weird reason (like they thought it was a 4 cour show??)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If I liked Blame! will I like knights of Sidon a?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If I liked Blame! will I like knights of Sidonia?

Yes. And BiOmega, which you should read too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not sure how the visuals turned out in the KOS anime, but the manga has some magnificent cosmic horror in it and crazy rear end angular mech designs. I also don't know where the KOS anime ends, or whether it gets to the Best Romance In Anime Ever or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you have a good sense of humor.

e: and yeah don't watch the TV series if you can help it, read the manga

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Narratively they're pretty different. Sidonia actually has a clear narrative throughout, for one. Also more goofiness. Still loaded with Nihei's great scifi architecture, weirdo creatures, and sense of scale.

The anime preserves the story, but loses most of the visual style with it's CG and background art. The latter was the main appeal of the manga imo, so it's a subpar adaptation in my eyes.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Just finished watching Steins;Gate and I'm feeling the standard depression (well, not really but it's hard to find the word) I always get when I finish a story I enjoyed. The standard cure is to jump into another story, so I'm here for recommendations. Watched Re:Zero previously, and the second season of Attack on Titan before that.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What are you looking for? What have you already seen? Off those vague mentions, you might like My Hero Academia, but if you give more detail I might be able to point you in a better direction.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's a game but if you want more Steins Gate the sequel (Steins;Gate 0 on PS4/Vita) is supposed to be good I think

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a game but if you want more Steins Gate the sequel (Steins;Gate 0 on PS4/Vita) is supposed to be good I think

It's pretty significantly different from the first in both structure and tone, but it's still a good game, though the general consensus (that I also agree with) is that it's not as good as the first. That said, it tries a fair few interesting things and is certainly worth a try if you enjoyed the original and want to see more of the characters. There's also an anime adaption in the works, but we haven't heard anything about that for quite a while at this point so I'm not sure when it's coming. Considering the game's structure, I'm not exactly sure how they're going to handle the anime in any case. Should be interesting to see.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought 0 was pretty meh and pointless tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought 0 was pretty meh and pointless tbh.
Yeah :same: