Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Despera posted:

Better than no solution aka yours.

Man, your one line poo poo posts have been super useful in this thread.

"Leftists" like you make me want to vomit. Just admit you want to feel superior to the rural poor, move into your McMansion and gently caress off for the next ten years til you start becoming concerned about how people are using your tax money and voting straight Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

Also: destroy the shithole towns of Moorefield and Petersburg.

My ex-wife was from Petersburg. Can confirm it's a shithole.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

ok let's build an entire education system, new industry and convince a bunch of companies to move to the area. not hard at all!

It's not 'blowing money' to attract factories and industries, because those are jobs that tend to pay reasonably well, have stable hours, benefits and opportunity for advancement. Factories and industries are not something easily placed anywhere given that they need customer industries to serve as well as easy access to supplies and workers. WV doesn't have a supply of trained workers, doesn't have the best infrastructure, and doesn't seem to have an existing notable industrial base,. Building a better education system to produce trained worked is time consuming, building infrastructure is expensive and time consuming, and convincing companies to move to the middle of nowhere with nobody and nothing is a difficult proposition.

I probably sound like a total rear end in a top hat, but what's the plan here to rebuild the economy in WV? It's probably cheaper and would lead to better outcomes if we just give these people a minimum income so they can get by and decide to either figure things out themselves or move out.

This

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't want to speak for Despera but I don't think he identifies as a leftist, his Ebeneezer Scrooge approach to jobs seems genuine.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I don't want to speak for Despera but I don't think he identifies as a leftist, his Ebeneezer Scrooge approach to jobs seems genuine.

I do but I don't hate capitalism

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

"Video with piss exists." Word

Rather "video with urine exists". The sentence is grammatical, but the term used is rather... clinical. I am not sure what really would be appropriate, though --- having come to US fairly young,
my Russian vocabulary doesn't really cover this sort of subject matter very well.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

And yet this is the garbage that has this bill as close as ever to a yes?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OctaMurk posted:

ok let's build an entire education system, new industry and convince a bunch of companies to move to the area. not hard at all!

states have been doing this for generations :confused:

i am being immensely hyperbolic by calling calling it simple but coloring an entire state's economic situation as untenable to the point of requiring mass exodus is far more hyperbolic

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Even the insurers are just like, "gently caress it with this poo poo. Just drop it, it is never going to happen."

So even if enough members of Congress sign off on this, and the healthcare bill becomes enacted, realistically what will be the outcome when it becomes a failure and destroys the health care industry? What I mean by that is, if it cripples insurers and is a clear failure, can we just dismantle it and go back to Obamacare? Or will Dems be able to take the lead and we will get Medicaid for all?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

All you gotta do is tell them this:
извините, я не говорю по-чеченски

Many hours of War Thunder has all but guaranteed it'll get a rise out of native Russians.

Well there's also the passive-aggressive "Cover your Soviet tanks in Ukranian Flags"

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Let's start coding bootcamps in coal miner towns.

Oh wait they're all quitting because tech companies embrace diversity

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

skylined! posted:

states have been doing this for generations :confused:

i am being immensely hyperbolic by calling calling it simple but coloring an entire state's economic situation as untenable to the point of requiring mass exodus is far more hyperbolic

Well maybe if they stopped voting r they could do this

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Retardog posted:

My ex-wife was from Petersburg. Can confirm it's a shithole.

Was her last name Crites, Sites, Kirkendall, or Redman?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Despera posted:

A minority of West Virginians voted for Trump and the governor is a Democrat.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hastings posted:

Even the insurers are just like, "gently caress it with this poo poo. Just drop it, it is never going to happen."

So even if enough members of Congress sign off on this, and the healthcare bill becomes enacted, realistically what will be the outcome when it becomes a failure and destroys the health care industry? What I mean by that is, if it cripples insurers and is a clear failure, can we just dismantle it and go back to Obamacare? Or will Dems be able to take the lead and we will get Medicaid for all?

it's not unreasonable to look toward a future where republicans gently caress up healthcare so much, and make the situation so untenable for insurers, that once democrats take control that either medicaid for all is the only reasonable option

lol who am i kidding we'll probably just bail out the insurance companies

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/petersterne/status/886004421347483648

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I was under the impression that the coal miners from WV weren't interested in jobs that weren't coal mining due to some sort of bizarre misplaced pride about working for a solar panel plant not being 'manly' enough or whatever.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Despera posted:

i want to tell you that things aren't that simple, and even given their poo poo situation voters still have to be compelled with evidence, that can't only speak to facts but also feelings and sentiment, to vote a certain way, but you've proven to be even more of a loving idiot simpleton shithead than i am, providing even less value to this thread and its tangential conversations, so in short go gently caress yourself right out the front door idiot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

E: never mind

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

It's not 'blowing money' to attract factories and industries, because those are jobs that tend to pay reasonably well, have stable hours, benefits and opportunity for advancement. Factories and industries are not something easily placed anywhere given that they need customer industries to serve as well as easy access to supplies and workers. WV doesn't have a supply of trained workers, doesn't have the best infrastructure, and doesn't seem to have an existing notable industrial base,. Building a better education system to produce trained worked is time consuming, building infrastructure is expensive and time consuming, and convincing companies to move to the middle of nowhere with nobody and nothing is a difficult proposition.

I probably sound like a total rear end in a top hat, but what's the plan here to rebuild the economy in WV? It's probably cheaper and would lead to better outcomes if we just give these people a minimum income so they can get by and decide to either figure things out themselves or move out.

edit: didn't see that somebody bothered to actually post a plan. Nice.

FDR would like a word with you, since he ha a few ideas about what to do for rural America in bleak economic prospects.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

A minority of West Virginians voted for Trump and the governor is a Democrat.

Why are communists always so disingenuous?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lacrosse posted:

I was under the impression that the coal miners from WV weren't interested in jobs that weren't coal mining due to some sort of bizarre misplaced pride about working for a solar panel plant not being 'manly' enough or whatever.

There's some truth to this. The coal industry starts recruiting as young as kindergarten. A lot of men are coal or bust.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Chilichimp posted:

I don't mind Covok. Who ignores non-trolls?

I mean it in jest, besides this better than most of the derails we have.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

So...at this point the press is more thorough and adept at investigations than either the information gleaning organizations or the SIC. This makes me not trust the process. Obviously the press has more reason as they are out for blood, and Trump is cutting the FBI down, but still. Either the SIC needs to do some real leg work or subpoenas need to be taken seriously.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Despera posted:

Why are communists always so disingenuous?

Lol now I'm a communist because I'm pointing out WV isn't a history red state?

Despera posted:

There's some truth to this. The coal industry starts recruiting as young as kindergarten. A lot of men are coal or bust.

Because what other jobs pay as well as the mine?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hastings posted:

So...at this point the press is more thorough and adept at investigations than either the information gleaning organizations or the SIC.

No, they were probably tipped off.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DwijJfVbBg

an oatmeal brained trump trying and failing to win handshake 2.0

with all the crazy revelations this week about Junior's meeting and Kushner's hundrends of thosuands of SF-86 disclosures I was curious what /r/the_donald was up to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKdIz9gP1uI

ok then

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Hastings posted:

The American people say they don't want it, but their opinion was never really going to matter, so that's not a surprise. The insurance companies say they don't want it, it's not going to make them rich, which is surprising. Supposedly a lot of the tax cuts were removed in this latest attempt to pass it, so it's not even the tax giveaway the wealthy donors wanted.

So is this bill now 100% pure "gently caress you," with no significant benefit to anyone? Am I missing something, or have they removed even the greed from this equation and decided spite alone was still a worthy cause to fight for?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lacrosse posted:

No. It's because the pay is pretty drat good.

I lived in WV for about 4 years and any West Virginian could work circles around anyone I have known. That's the motivated group, mind you.

There's a large number of uneducated people on SSI who are hooked on opiates or alcoholics.

By what I could tell, the population is largely democratic, however due to gun control and a bit of racism tend to also vote Republican nationally. It's really an odd dynamic.

Back to the point- many are just stubborn, but options to retrain someone are limited due to funding, and there's also a hopelessness prevalent among those in their 20's where they have long since resigned themselves to what they have available and lose the drive to better their education.

It has nothing to do with being 'manly.'

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hastings posted:

So...at this point the press is more thorough and adept at investigations than either the information gleaning organizations or the SIC. This makes me not trust the process. Obviously the press has more reason as they are out for blood, and Trump is cutting the FBI down, but still. Either the SIC needs to do some real leg work or subpoenas need to be taken seriously.

If the FBI didn't know is it reasonable to assume Mueller also didn't know?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Yeah, I agree but this person said it without being a bellicose dicko. :v:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Robot Hobo posted:

The American people say they don't want it, but their opinion was never really going to matter, so that's not a surprise. The insurance companies say they don't want it, it's not going to make them rich, which is surprising. Supposedly a lot of the tax cuts were removed in this latest attempt to pass it, so it's not even the tax giveaway the wealthy donors wanted.

So is this bill now 100% pure "gently caress you," with no significant benefit to anyone? Am I missing something, or have they removed even the greed from this equation and decided spite alone was still a worthy cause to fight for?

Welcome to the Republican Party 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I don't think this "you can make fun of Trump but not his voters" dynamic is going to last long

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Robot Hobo posted:

It's still a pretty big reversal of fortune move on the good things that black president did

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Despera posted:

I don't think this "you can make fun of Trump but not his voters" dynamic is going to last long

Every single person who voted for Trump is at least somewhat culpable for all the poo poo that's happened since he took office, and all the poo poo that happens til he leaves.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

OhDearGodNo posted:

No. It's because the pay is pretty drat good.

I lived in WV for about 4 years and any West Virginian could work circles around anyone I have known. That's the motivated group, mind you.

There's a large number of uneducated people on SSI who are hooked on opiates or alcoholics.

By what I could tell, the population is largely democratic, however due to gun control and a bit of racism tend to also vote Republican nationally. It's really an odd dynamic.

Back to the point- many are just stubborn, but options to retrain someone are limited due to funding, and there's also a hopelessness prevalent among those in their 20's where they have long since resigned themselves to what they have available and lose the drive to better their education.

It has nothing to do with being 'manly.'

A bit of racism, fine, but sexism? Surely not in my West Virginia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

n4 posted:

Let's start coding bootcamps in coal miner towns.

Oh wait they're all quitting because tech companies embrace diversity

Meanwhile, in the Research Triangle of North Carolina...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hastings posted:

Given that half the SCI has half the community firmly against even investigating and the FBI keeps having key fact finding roles turn up redundant I wouldn't say I'm surprised that the Press has started getting ahead of them on some things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

I don't think your "be an insufferable dipshit while trying to discuss politics before shrinking into a corn cob" dynamic is going to last long either.

• Locked thread