Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There are few pieces of television I wish I had saved a copy of more than Shep Smith, absolutely certain he is about to die, unloading both barrels into everyone safe at the studio during his Hurricane Katrina live shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i would watch shep on another network

also lol at greta van susteren already being dumped from msnbc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

There are few pieces of television I wish I had saved a copy of more than Shep Smith, absolutely certain he is about to die, unloading both barrels into everyone safe at the studio during his Hurricane Katrina live shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUYiZWztuU

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

holy gently caress I forgot how much of a shitshow katrina was.... wiki gives like over 1800 deaths... in the 21st century.... in the united loving states... wow

also, how is shep smith still employed at fox news? he seems way too rational

FIDEL CASHFLOW fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 15, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah everyone forgot about Katrina and Deep water Horizon too. Louisiana is a cesspool

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

He pulls 10% of their audience who they need to radicalize as many as possible before the treason shoe drops and the GOP goes all in. If they fire him early some small moderate fraction of their viewership loses faith in the credibility of the more malevolent anchors. He knows if he leaves willingly there won't be any rational voices remaining. So he's doing good broadcasts waiting to be forced out so he can get a job at a good news org.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I remember reading a thing a few months ago about how a lot of trump voters blamed obama for Katrina :thumbsup:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dat black guy did the voodoo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

so now there were 8 people in the meeting

maybe 9

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

lmao loving Myer's reaction gets me every time

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 15, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I still think kanye is on the spectrum which is why I kinda like him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Posting from cspam:

World War Mammories posted:

I sent this email to the election commission because gently caress 'em
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/885896064561184769
the title is from vox which mentions it in an article

e: i am literally proud of this so here's a screenshot

:bisonyes:

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

OH MY GOD I'VE NEVER SEEN THE CUT TO CHRIS TUCKER

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

i didn't know anything about the checkpoints but if i were stuck in new orleans what would they do to me if i tried to walk through the checkpoi-- hahaha nevermind i already know

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i wanna travel to the reality where chris christie got elected. and jeb! and cruz. and gently caress it, john mccain when sarah palin was his VP. and ben carson. jesus gently caress did the GOP have any not-insane nominees this year? kasich maybe? where's rubio on the crazy scale?

i wonder how this reality compares.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TBeats posted:

i wanna travel to the reality where chris christie got elected. and jeb! and cruz. and gently caress it, john mccain when sarah palin was his VP. and ben carson. jesus gently caress did the GOP have any not-insane nominees this year? kasich maybe? where's rubio on the crazy scale?

i wonder how this reality compares.

International standing would probably be a bit much better, domestically we'd be doing a bit worse, imo (Since they'd know what actual governance looks like, and could probably get better legislative results).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I realized I'd never seen a documentary on Katrina, especially more than a decade later, and sure enough, CuriosityStream doesn't have one on it.

Was gonna say it was a waste of 5 bux, but then I remembered that I binge-feasted on pretty much every single documentary on how space is awesome and makes poo poo broken, dead, and/or really small. Money well spent.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TBeats posted:

i didn't know anything about the checkpoints but if i were stuck in new orleans what would they do to me if i tried to walk through the checkpoi-- hahaha nevermind i already know

I got waved off a couple checkpoints after the city-wide curfew was recended. Seeing those strapping national guardsmen with their Humvees and rifles and full battle gear really convinced me that I would never join that chicken-heart outfit gently caress the NG/army

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I got waved off a couple checkpoints after the city-wide curfew was recended. Seeing those strapping national guardsmen with their Humvees and rifles and full battle gear really convinced me that I would never join that chicken-heart outfit gently caress the NG/army

We took over for those guys in Iraq (256th I think?) in 2005. They left Baghdad to go home to that and do that.

Better than getting extended I guess?

I had no idea Katrina got so bad. The fox video was pretty sobering.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I realized I'd never seen a documentary on Katrina, especially more than a decade later, and sure enough, CuriosityStream doesn't have one on it.

Was gonna say it was a waste of 5 bux, but then I remembered that I binge-feasted on pretty much every single documentary on how space is awesome and makes poo poo broken, dead, and/or really small. Money well spent.

As always, PBS Frontline has you covered.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My favorite part about the NG in Katrina were the stories I heard, like the firefights between NOLA PD and the National Guard because the Guard guys came upon cops looting abandoned houses.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

holy gently caress I forgot how much of a shitshow katrina was.... wiki gives like over 1800 deaths... in the 21st century.... in the united loving states... wow

I had to go google that, it's literally an order of magnitude more than I thought. Jesus Christ.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I remember a gif of this where you just see Mike Myers and Chris Tucker both have monocles that pop out after Kanye says the line.

M_Gargantua posted:

Posting from cspam:
:bisonyes:

loving :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As always, PBS Frontline has you covered.

Yeah, found "The Storm", got that queued up after the one I'm currently watching. 30 minutes in, and the main thing I'm taking away is that the mayor was all "Yo, get out!", the governor was all "No, seriously, get out.", the FEMA director was "Not sure why the mandatory evacuation hasn't been announced yet, but seriously, get the gently caress out", and people were like "lol, we've lived through so many hurricanes down here, we're gonna ride this out. LAISSEZ LES BONTEMPS ROULEZ" *drowns and decomposes on Bourbon street*

I mean, I'm waiting for the inevitable reporting on the monumental fuckups by all levels of authorities involved, but every time I hear people not evacuate when they're told to do so, my brain breaks a little.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Spike Lee made a great two part documentary on it, plus the already linked PBS one.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Anyone know if the blog posts made by the former Army ranger while he was guarding SA's servers in New Orleans during Katrina are still up somewhere?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

weren't cops looting poo poo too in uniform

also didn't SA start that meme or w/e of that dude carrying the beer in the water. Heineken?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
chris kyle an american hero got on top of the louisiana superdome and shot looters

:patriot:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

No the clip I'm remembering was from the night of while the storm was still coming in and his tone and body language were every bit accurate to someone guest-starring in an ISIS youtube. I've never found it online and not for a lack of trying.

Also relevant, I wish Lowtax would say why the Hurricane Hoedown forum isn't available in archives. It would have significant value as a historical document.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In lighter news, French military bands are great and Trump doesn't know what the hell a daft punk is:

https://twitter.com/Simon_Cullen/status/885822181829160960

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

Also relevant, I wish Lowtax would say why the Hurricane Hoedown forum isn't available in archives. It would have significant value as a historical document.

Zeris do the needful

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Alot of the people who you see on Fox news who were in/around the Superdome were those that didn't have the means to evacuate. Sure, the government at every level said to leave, but there was no public means of evacuating for the 10s of thousands of super broke citizens of Louisiana who didn't have a car and didn't make the cut in a friend or family members vehicle.

Being told you have to leave and not having anyplace to go when you live in 3rd world poverty is kind of like being told you're gonna die by the government. Everyone involved in NO and the broader La. State government during Katrina should be hanged until death. gently caress every single one of them.

Edit: also gently caress FEMA, George Bush, Cheney and every federal stooge right in the pussy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In lighter news, French military bands are great and Trump doesn't know what the hell a daft punk is:

his hair is going up and down with the beat

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Alot of the people who you see on Fox news who were in/around the Superdome were those that didn't have the means to evacuate. Sure, the government at every level said to leave, but there was no public means of evacuating for the 10s of thousands of super broke citizens of Louisiana who didn't have a car and didn't make the cut in a friend or family members vehicle.

Being told you have to leave and not having anyplace to go when you live in 3rd world poverty is kind of like being told you're gonna die by the government. Everyone involved in NO and the broader La. State government during Katrina should be hanged until death. gently caress every single one of them.

Edit: also gently caress FEMA, George Bush, Cheney and every federal stooge right in the pussy

Yeah pretty much. A lot of people in major cities don't have cars, not just those who are poor. New Orleans has very little regional mass transit, so there was really no way to efficiently evacuate people using the existing transportation infrastructure.

The big question was why wasn't the military (national guard, reserve, and active) engaged sooner to evacuate people.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

my favorite part is the brief drone footage

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

The big question was why wasn't the military (national guard, reserve, and active) engaged sooner to evacuate people.

Do you think some of the finest urban infantry we've ever produced would debase themselves and their fine establishment to act as a taxi service?

What kind of world do you perceive. There were black 'looters' to be shot

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

psydude posted:

Yeah pretty much. A lot of people in major cities don't have cars, not just those who are poor. New Orleans has very little regional mass transit, so there was really no way to efficiently evacuate people using the existing transportation infrastructure.

Apparently, it was brought into the equation sooner than people thought. But communication was apparently hosed on a "weird" level that hadn't been seen before in other catastrophes, and media reporting was essentially the catalyst that allowed small fuckups at several different points turn into one giant clusterfuck.

On the day the eye hit and passed, reporters were giddy as gently caress to report in conditions like hurricane-force winds and horizontal rain for ratings, but in the night, when newsrooms were spooling up for the next day's coverage, they were all shacked up in their hotels and wrote about how New Orleans dodged a bullet, and was "the luckiest mess in America right now" and poo poo like that. Turns out media reporting in Washington was factoring in media reporting heavily due to the communication breakdown in the crisis areas, and got a different image than they should have gotten. It seems like the media were explicitly at fault for reporting that the flooding was due to overtopping and heavy rain, instead of broken loving levees, like first responders on the ground were reporting.
But they didn't have satellite communication at their disposal to coordinate in a shitshow where 911 calls and cell service went down before the eye even hit.

Queue delays in a sense of urgency from those that weren't already on the ground.

Then, once the country realized the extent of the disaster, the media started circlejerking over mass gangrapes, thousands of dead, and warzone-like gun battles in what was essentially a massive game of telephone. Except their bullshit reporting wasn't contained to the country watching from "outside", but influenced situational reports in the crisis area.

Queue SAR efforts and relief missions getting shut down completely in favor of a restoration of LAW & ORDER, because the media wanted to put asses in seats.:psyduck:

/edit:

Oh, don't forget that politics played into the clusterfuck as well, because the government supposedly offered to take over the relief efforts, but the governor allegedly declined, because she feared repercussions down the road

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 15, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It was a weird shitshow. Feds slow to act, local government slow to ask.

I talked to a 68 year old family friend who'd ridden out every storm since childhood. "Never again" was his mantra after Katrina. Also it killed a couple family members. At least they'd lived a full life.

E: Aside from some weird police murders including the infamous bridge and one off events , the idea of firefights in the streets was massively overblown.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 15, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol I forgot about the Katrina bullshit, law enforcement really deserves every bullet it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Uh Army was busy liberating middle Eastern individuals from this mortal plane because Bush was a loving chimp eared retard.

Over 1400 American lives were claimed by one of the slowest and most visible types of Natural Disasters possible. Kanye was dead on with his assessment.

Edit: it was about day 4 after the hurricane when I realized that no one was coming to clear the roads on the north side of lake ponchatrain and me and my family would have to become Job Creators and personally hire some individuals to cut us out so we could finish evacuating to Dallas.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread