Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shadow225 posted:

Hello, welcome to a terrifyingly expensive, cool hobby.

How many people do you expect to play with on a regular basis? Player count will more often than not dictate what gets played. It looks like you have a group of 5+. Do you want to include all 5+ players in the same game at all times (most likely), or are you open to splitting up into 2 smaller games?

What are things that you liked/didn't like about the games you've played thus far? A lot of games crib mechanics from other games, so if we can nail down what you and your group liked, we can suggest similar games.

How 'heavy' (number of rules/long play time) are you and your group willing to try? A slight problem with asking this thread specifically is that heavier games are suggested to newer players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but typically it's better to slowly ramp up complexity into these awesome games rather than jump headfirst into something like Food Chain Magnate and get burned out/intimidated.

I actually taught FCM to three people last night. One saw waitresses and thought he broke the game by just getting "free" money every turn until he saw me and another guy making twice what he did without breaking a sweat. The fourth unfortunately couldn't get her head around what she was doing until the end but it was far too late. Everyone had a good time and I tried to stress the importance of the Trainer/Recruiter openings but no one really understood why and wanted to do their own thing, and I played poorly so it didn't make too much of a difference until the end when the mega turns started activating.

Having taught it to a bunch of people I think the part most struggle with is keeping in mind the price/distance formula for determining which restaurant sells what and how discount/luxury managers affect this, keeping busy marketers active in your organisation, and understanding cart operators, mail campaigns.

Next time I want to fast forward to a guru. That creep can roll, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Akarshi posted:

Hey all, I'm pretty new to board games and would like some recommendations. Out of the games on the front page, I've played Avalon, The Resistance, Cash n Guns, Codenames, and Love Letter.

Despite that the only game I own is Betrayal at the House on the Hill, and me and my friends have been consistently playing it for the past few weeks while slowly, very slowly, realizing that it's actually kind of...bad.

It's actually pretty good that you guys figured that out on your own. It's an expensive as hell point to get to, but you'll eventually get a good feel for what you like and what you don't.

As far as recommendations go, I would gravitate towards FFG's Cthulhu mythos stuff if you like the whole exploration with light horror (not actually that scary) elements. Eldritch Horror is a good worldwide romp (although with just the base set, you'll hit a point where you start seeing the same cards again), while Mansions of Madness is probably closer to Betrayal. Both are pretty pricy, though.

If you want a traitor game that isn't just a traitor game, check out Archipelago, also known as Tragedy of the Commons: The Game. It is pretty heavy, though, and the rules don't do a good job sorta giving you an idea of what the game flow should be or what short term goals you should set for yourself, so be warned.

I'd also throw in a recommendation for Welcome to the Dungeon, which is basically playing chicken with some poor adventurer schmuck. It's good for a quick 15ish minute filler.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Lorini posted:

I was thinking of doing the print and play for The Founders of Gloomhaven. I don't want to do it myself so what alternatives are there to getting it printed? Should I just take the files to Staples or an equivalent?

I've gotten stuff full color printed on cardstock at Staples for print and plays in the past. Works great but the lions share of the work is the cutting, of course.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

Funnily, that's also what he said about Bubsy.

He also says it's a lovely business and he's happy to be done with it, so I can well believe that publishers constantly gently caress with developers like that. But then art is never finished, only abandoned.

James Ernest had a similar opinion developing at Microsoft. He hated the process because there's no time to play with your prototypes. The environment basically encourages rushing a bare bones product then patching it after release.

Now Bubsy 3D I think could've turned into something at least playable like Croc. But when they saw Mario 64 it must've been like "Guys, we have 24 hours to ship this" and they still missed the deadline.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

I've gotten stuff full color printed on cardstock at Staples for print and plays in the past. Works great but the lions share of the work is the cutting, of course.

The cutting is also the worst part. Get some friends. My hands start aching after 20 minutes of cutting card stock.

edit: VV poo poo, my wife used one of those for our wedding invitations and it was super handy. Should be able to find them in the paper craft section of your local craft store.

exser fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 14, 2017

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have done plenty of pnps in the past due to import restrictions. There are these specialized cutting tools that look like a ruler with a sliding cutting edge on one side: just align it and push the blade and you get a pretty fast yet precise cut. It was a godsend for card pnps such as Villages of Valeria, easily halved the time we spent cutting stuff. No idea about the name in either English or Spanish, that said.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

I have done plenty of pnps in the past due to import restrictions. There are these specialized cutting tools that look like a ruler with a sliding cutting edge on one side: just align it and push the blade and you get a pretty fast yet precise cut. It was a godsend for card pnps such as Villages of Valeria, easily halved the time we spent cutting stuff. No idea about the name in either English or Spanish, that said.

If you're at all into print and plays, a paper trimmer like this is a godsend. My model is a hand me down Swingline that's like 40 years old and still kicking.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Azran posted:

:thermidor:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

deadwing posted:

If you're at all into print and plays, a paper trimmer like this is a godsend. My model is a hand me down Swingline that's like 40 years old and still kicking.

Oh yeah, those are also great! But that's not quite what I was referring to, the tool I'm talking about has a sliding motion instead of a chopping one. I'll try and find it, maybe it's just a different model or something.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Azran posted:

Oh yeah, those are also great! But that's not quite what I was referring to, the tool I'm talking about has a sliding motion instead of a chopping one. I'll try and find it, maybe it's just a different model or something.

All the printshops around me (in the Netherlands) have the sliding type, which I've used for my various PnP projects, and I think I'd appreciate the chopping type much more, from watching some Cheapass Games video tutorials.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Despite the fact this will probably get me banned from the thread I think Betrayal at the House on the Hill is actually an OK game.

I've played it 3/4 times in the entire time I've owned it, but the same goes for every game there apart from Twilight Struggle. Is it particularly well designed? No. Is it possible to be extremely frustrating? Yes. Should you take it seriously? No.

It is pretty unique though and I find unique has a certain quality of it's own. It's also got a theme that most players can instantly identify with and people "get" straight away.

The biggest criticism i have really is the gently caress it comes with a bucketful of tockens because you need certain tokens for like one of the 50 different haunts and therefore they need to be included.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kitchner posted:

Despite the fact this will probably get me banned from the thread I think Betrayal at the House on the Hill is actually an OK game.

I've played it 3/4 times in the entire time I've owned it, but the same goes for every game there apart from Twilight Struggle. Is it particularly well designed? No. Is it possible to be extremely frustrating? Yes. Should you take it seriously? No.

It is pretty unique though and I find unique has a certain quality of it's own. It's also got a theme that most players can instantly identify with and people "get" straight away.

The biggest criticism i have really is the gently caress it comes with a bucketful of tockens because you need certain tokens for like one of the 50 different haunts and therefore they need to be included.

Yeah but we've gone over all of those arguments before, and it's still a bad game. Games can be fun and still bad. More specifically, a particular group of people can very much enjoy Betrayal and it is still a bad game.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but we've gone over all of those arguments before, and it's still a bad game. Games can be fun and still bad. More specifically, a particular group of people can very much enjoy Betrayal and it is still a bad game.

Maybe but if you have a mega thread that no one is really going to read from start to finish if you have a bunch of people just slating a game other's are likely to think it's total trash and not worth getting at all. I know I (maybe foolishly?) take people's opinions in this thread quite seriously because I know there are some really experienced board gamers here, and I'm quite happy with the fact I own Betrayal and Cards Against Humanity (sorry) and while they aren't my favourite games they have a place. If I had just read this thread on it's own I'd never buy either.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Say what you will about Betrayal but Cards Against Humanity does not have a place in your collection or the cultural zeitgeist, sorry.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Guys can someone explain Stephenson's Rocket to me? The rules seem to be fairly simple, but they're complicated enough that I can't imagine what would make a "good strategy".
I've played it once and all 3 of us ended up thoroughly confused. Of particular note is the early game, where it seems a *lot* of the time that whoever moves a train puts themselves at a disadvantage, because they make room for another player to move + plant a station down. It's been mentioned in the train before as an at least decent game, so I don't know what I'm not getting.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Maybe but if you have a mega thread that no one is really going to read from start to finish if you have a bunch of people just slating a game other's are likely to think it's total trash and not worth getting at all. I know I (maybe foolishly?) take people's opinions in this thread quite seriously because I know there are some really experienced board gamers here, and I'm quite happy with the fact I own Betrayal and Cards Against Humanity (sorry) and while they aren't my favourite games they have a place. If I had just read this thread on it's own I'd never buy either.

I don't think most people in the thread care about what other people play, so long as they don't have to play the games they don't like. I could be wrong on that.

When reading a game rec here, it is remember two things. Most of the posters in this thread are experienced gamers, as you point out. Some people are really far down the rabbit hole (I have seen recs for Food Chain Magnate for someone coming from Sushi Go). It's hard for these people to step out of their shoes and into someone else's shoes. The other thing is that most people in this thread share the view that there are more games than time, so you should use your time to only play the best games possible. The 'best games' are discussed by their merits, usually variety of strategies and importance of decisions/mitigation of randomness. Why recommend a game that you think is bad? The answer that comes up often as a rebuttal is that the game is fun. Fun is a subjective term, and it usually comes down to "I enjoy hanging out with the people that I play." You can have fun moving or painting a house with the same crew more often than not, but we agree that moving is not fun. The thread regs try to suggest games that would be fun to our admittedly left-dominant brains regardless of (non horrific) company. The idea is that games are to be suggested if they can enhance the time you're spending with your friends more than an average place holder activity.

Admittedly, silvergoose tried to stifle the conversation, but that's because that specific conversation has happened several times in his presence, and it always boils down to a subjective definition of fun. Can't measure anything when the ruler is changed on a whim. That said, feel free to open the dialog and recommend any game, just be prepared to give a reasonable description for why the game is recommended and be aware that the thread has particular tastes that will clash with some popular games.

I hope that didn't come off as exclusive. I enjoy games despite the goon hivemind, so I want to see more things that aren't 4 hour affairs recommended. I just want them to be defended well :):

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Cards Against Humanity does not have a place in [...] the cultural zeitgeist, sorry.

sadly I think you're probably wrong about this part, whether I like it or not

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Most party games wish they could be cards against humanity. Lol at the idea of not being a part of cultural zeitgeist

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, it has definitely reached college campuses, including frat and sorority houses. It's pretty ubiquitous.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

me, playing Keyflower for the first time: man these are cute little player screens

me, getting in my own new copy: I hate these player screens so goddamn much

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dancer posted:

Guys can someone explain Stephenson's Rocket to me? The rules seem to be fairly simple, but they're complicated enough that I can't imagine what would make a "good strategy".
I've played it once and all 3 of us ended up thoroughly confused. Of particular note is the early game, where it seems a *lot* of the time that whoever moves a train puts themselves at a disadvantage, because they make room for another player to move + plant a station down. It's been mentioned in the train before as an at least decent game, so I don't know what I'm not getting.

If you're the first to open a company in the early game, a standard turn is to place a station first (typically next to one of the goods cities) then move the train towards it for exactly the reason you state. Remember you can do any mix of two actions on your turn with the exception of expanding the same company twice.

A common follow up for another player then is to either cooperate with the initial player by taking a good, then connecting the company to the station (thus gaining a passenger and two dollars) or to do a hostile train move away from the station, which usually forces a veto, giving you share advantage. You'll find that the midgame train moves get pretty vicious and are basically always going to induce a veto or two, offensively or defensively.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Countblanc posted:

Say what you will about Betrayal but Cards Against Humanity does not have a place in your collection or the cultural zeitgeist, sorry.

Say what you want about Cards Against Humanity, but when you've got like 15 drunk people in a room and they aren't really board gamers they can get a grasp on Cards Against Humanity because even a 12 year old knows the funniest answer is the rudest answer. I actually also have Superfights and Funemployment, both of which I think are better party games (game wise) than CAH as it requires some improvisation, but even then with the wrong crowd or a crowd that is too drunk starting with "OK so we both create super heroes and have to argue which one would win in a fight" is way more difficult than "fill in the blanks".

Shadow225 posted:

Why recommend a game that you think is bad? The answer that comes up often as a rebuttal is that the game is fun. Fun is a subjective term, and it usually comes down to "I enjoy hanging out with the people that I play." You can have fun moving or painting a house with the same crew more often than not, but we agree that moving is not fun. The thread regs try to suggest games that would be fun to our admittedly left-dominant brains regardless of (non horrific) company. The idea is that games are to be suggested if they can enhance the time you're spending with your friends more than an average place holder activity.

I hope that didn't come off as exclusive. I enjoy games despite the goon hivemind, so I want to see more things that aren't 4 hour affairs recommended. I just want them to be defended well :):

My defence of BHH is essentially it's fairly unique, it does have a load of scenarios, and it's a relatively popular easy theme that people can intuitively get. Everyone has seen a poo poo horror movie or read a poo poo horror story or is even simply aware of the horror trope of a group of innocent explorers entering the haunted house and exploring it only to discover there is some sort of twist (in this case usually someone secretly lead them to the house for a reason). There aren't a huge number of games with a traitor mechanic that can be played by 4 or less people, and certainly not many where the traitor doesn't know they are the traitor.

As long as you go in with the mindset it's a very theme heavy game and it doesn't really matter who "wins" or "loses" I think it's OK. I'm fine with people recommending games they think are really good over games that are OK or bad, I'm even fine with people just trashing games that are poo poo (or they think are poo poo). Realistically though I don't think it is a poo poo game, it's got a good theme, a fairly unique combination of mechanics, and with the large number of haunts even if you're the owner who just brings it out every Halloween or whatever, you'll probably play a scenario you've not played before.

If people want to say it's total trash game mechanic wise they can do, but realistically it's never felt like it was really designed first and foremost to be a mechanically great game.

Now I believe that's a relatively balanced view, people can disagree with it all they want of course, but genuinely if I came to this thread full of really enthusiastic board gamers and saw everyone saying "That game is total trash" I would be put off buying it. I mean, if they all have huge board game collections and really get into it all, they should know whether something is trash or not right? I don't think BHH is such a huge piece of trash that you should just never buy it, but that's certainly what I'd think if I had read the thread.

Again, not really trying to force people to say they agree with me, just think it's worth if everyone is pulling in one direction for someone to play devil's advocate, and on this occasion I felt it should be me as I've played it as much as any of the games I had and found it was OK.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 15, 2017

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I enjoyed the experience playing Betrayal when I was a wee new gamer, but that had practically nothing to do with the game itself, and everything to do with the people around the table + the fact that sitting down to play a board game is just a really cozy and enjoyable way to socialize. The game, if anything, was an impediment with its lovely confusing rules, bad pacing, and often lovely anticlimactic one-sided endings. I wouldn't lose any sleep at night if someone read this thread and decided not to buy Betrayal, because any of a thousand other games could occupy them for an evening just as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
All we can do is tell people of games that we've found to be good. We don't promise that there's a game out there that you'll love that we aren't recommending. If you don't realize that, then you should. Otherwise we can just tell people to go browse the 90,000+ games on BGG and call it a day.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The other issue with CAH is that it's divisive. I'm African American and my family would not be amused at all. We don't know people's race when they ask, and we can't recommend that game. I know people like it, but that's not the only criteria.

Again it's totally fine to like whatever you want, but honestly please don't recommend CAH to people here.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

A good friend of mine in my gaming group loves Betrayal so we play it out of obligation and do our best to "get into it" but yeah it's bad man

Lorini posted:

The other issue with CAH is that it's divisive. I'm African American and my family would not be amused at all. We don't know people's race when they ask, and we can't recommend that game. I know people like it, but that's not the only criteria.

Again it's totally fine to like whatever you want, but honestly please don't recommend CAH to people here.

Agreed on this. Also, CAH is so loving boring once you've played it like, twice. When everyone who has ever played has experienced something like, "sorry about this round, mine is just a throwaway card" then that is just a bad party game

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Kitchner posted:

Say what you want about Cards Against Humanity, but when you've got like 15 drunk people in a room and they aren't really board gamers they can get a grasp on Cards Against Humanity because even a 12 year old knows the funniest answer is the rudest answer.

Why do these 15 drunk people who aren't really board gamers need a bad card game? Couldn't they just, I don't know, say horribly offensive poo poo without cards if that is their thing?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kashuno posted:

Most party games wish they could be cards against humanity. Lol at the idea of not being a part of cultural zeitgeist

I meant that it shouldn't, not that it currently isn't incredibly popular.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why do these 15 drunk people who aren't really board gamers need a bad card game? Couldn't they just, I don't know, say horribly offensive poo poo without cards if that is their thing?

The idea is that the game lets you be horribly offensive without being held responsible for what you're saying - it's the game that's being horrible, not you.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Sushi Go Party has such an incomprehensibly bad box insert that I am actually somewhat offended.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Sushi Go Party has such an incomprehensibly bad box insert that I am actually somewhat offended.

:agreed: it's so bad I always feel like I'm doing something wrong with it but nope

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
machi koro's insert is just one place to put things

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Moriatti posted:

Echoing Coup.

Battlestar Galactica if you can find it is supposedly a better version. I've also heard good things of Letters From Whitechapel.

On the other end of the spectrum entirely, FFG's Imperial Assault is a one vs many with a modular map and good dice mechanics. That said, there are no hidden identities, everyone knows who the rear end in a top hat is.

Letters from Whitechapel is a (very good) hidden movement game rather than a hidden role game. I absolutely recommend it but it's not going to scratch the same itch as Resistance or BSG.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

deadwing posted:

Betrayal is relatively unique, for better or worse. If you want somewhere to dive off from mafia-esque games, Libertalia is a good place. Still has deduction and bluffing aspects, still fits a decent amount of players (maxes out at 6), but is a more structured game.

E: Pandemic Legacy would work well if what your group likes about Betrayal is the stories that the game generates. If you like crawling around a spooky place, getting loot, and fighting dudes, Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition will do it. There is no "betrayer" in either game though.

A bit belated but this isn't quite true of MoM 2e. If a player loses all of their sanity (which happens with some frequency, especially in larger play groups) they gain a secret Insanity card which mostly have new win conditions that apply solely to that player. Sometimes they complement existing play (like just having X many items), or will derail things (start fires, chase down and kill monsters) or are outright at odds with the group (sacrifice another player, they win and the group loses). It's important that everyone knows these are in the game and you can remove options you don't like, but it definitely has a traitor element that can unexpectedly come up in many (even most?) games to varying degrees.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm looking to grab a couple new games to bring with me to play at GenCon, could use some suggestions or thoughts on the games.

The contenders are:

Great Western Trail
Yokohama
Isle of Skye
Via Nebula
Manhatten Project Energy Empire
Orleans
Barenpark
Fields of Green
Kingdomino

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
The last time I played Betrayal, we got a scenario in which the survivors had to defeat a phantasm and rescue a little girl then make their way out of the house. All the while, the traitor has a bomb ticking down and each turn, she gets to roll more dice. If she ever hits a certain total, the bomb explodes and she wins.

The thing was...she got to relocate the phantasm (and thus the girl) to any basement room every turn if we failed to stop the phantasm in the room it was currently in. The basement also had the Chasm tile flipped over, and the Haunt triggered while we were all on one side. So the traitor was able to basically shift into empty rooms that we were struggling to get to because the Chasm requires a check to cross. When some of us did cross, she just moved the phantasm to the other side.

The survivors literally could not ever reach the phantasm, and it was really dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skypie posted:

The last time I played Betrayal, we got a scenario in which the survivors had to defeat a phantasm and rescue a little girl then make their way out of the house. All the while, the traitor has a bomb ticking down and each turn, she gets to roll more dice. If she ever hits a certain total, the bomb explodes and she wins.

The thing was...she got to relocate the phantasm (and thus the girl) to any basement room every turn if we failed to stop the phantasm in the room it was currently in. The basement also had the Chasm tile flipped over, and the Haunt triggered while we were all on one side. So the traitor was able to basically shift into empty rooms that we were struggling to get to because the Chasm requires a check to cross. When some of us did cross, she just moved the phantasm to the other side.

The survivors literally could not ever reach the phantasm, and it was really dumb.

Betrayal giveth and Betrayal taketh away.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Betrayal is great if if your group knows it will fail balance 1/4 the time in an insane and unavoidable fashion.

Catagorize it with Tales of the Arabian Nights and go along for the ride. Then its great.

Lot of goons incapable of doing that and take offense at the idea of trying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm looking to grab a couple new games to bring with me to play at GenCon, could use some suggestions or thoughts on the games.

The contenders are:

Great Western Trail
Orleans

Via Nebula

I've played the first two and they're both good. GWT is better and more unique I think though. I've heard nothing but good about Via Nebula but it seems to be a pretty under the radar game for some reason.