Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's true though, and California's famed 'progressive' NIMBYs are an excellent example. And while I'm not sure it's exactly 'classism', I have found that very liberal people, the kind you find in D&D threads like this, or the subreddits for SF/Seattle/Portland/etc. are more frequently huge, culturally-snobby assholes, especially to newcomers, whereas conservatives tend to be more welcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Cicero posted:

... whereas conservatives tend to be more welcoming (of people who look and sound exactly like they do).

You missed an important bit that I thought I should add for you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Eh, I've just found them to be more friendly in general, although there's still obviously plenty of variance.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
So how long until Elon Musk's not-a-subway subway blows up a Ross and we get another ban on tunneling in LA?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cicero posted:

I have found that very liberal people [...] are more frequently huge, culturally-snobby assholes, especially to newcomers, whereas conservatives tend to be more welcoming.

Bless your heart

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cicero posted:

Eh, I've just found them to be more friendly in general, although there's still obviously plenty of variance.

You've never tried to be leftist around them, have you

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have crazy thought. Maybe the political spectrum is not one dimensional and cognitive dissonance knows no bounds.

Also there is that sad truth that areas of higher population density make people harden themselves against the plight of others. So liberalism becomes "someone (else) should help people in need".

Progressive JPEG posted:

Bless your heart
I love that phrase.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 14, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Instant Sunrise posted:

So how long until Elon Musk's not-a-subway subway blows up a Ross and we get another ban on tunneling in LA?

P. sure he's only dug around under his own parking lot so no one cares.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Also there is that sad truth that areas of higher population density make people harden themselves against the plight of others. So liberalism becomes "someone (else) should help people in need".

idk, low density areas make people harden themselves against the plight of others too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Everybody loves living in small towns, though

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Everybody loves living in small towns, though
My lilly white buddy was from a medium sized town and no one wanted their fine, upstanding Christian daughters to date him because his great grandfather was half black.

So yeah towns are the cure to racism everyone loves them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

idk, low density areas make people harden themselves against the plight of others too.

I dunno about the causality. People who view their neighbors as more like themselves are generally more willing to participate and contribute to collective benefits.

Low density is a result of those people trying to form alike communities and keep "those people" out.

So result not cause, or at least result with feedback.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Refried Hero posted:

You missed an important bit that I thought I should add for you.

i also would've accepted

***offer only valid if your skin is at least thiiiiis white

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

I dunno about the causality. People who view their neighbors as more like themselves are generally more willing to participate and contribute to collective benefits.

Low density is a result of those people trying to form alike communities and keep "those people" out.

So result not cause, or at least result with feedback.

I was thinking on one hand how rural Americans, often have narrow visibility into the plight of others and e.g. can't understand why crowded inner city schools deserve more funds while their under-attended local elementary doesn't get anything extra. Alternatively, you have your suburban low density living which is pretty much designed as you said, to keep those people out and keep out any understanding of their needs too.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I was thinking on one hand how rural Americans, often have narrow visibility into the plight of others and e.g. can't understand why crowded inner city schools deserve more funds while their under-attended local elementary doesn't get anything extra. Alternatively, you have your suburban low density living which is pretty much designed as you said, to keep those people out and keep out any understanding of their needs too.
This is relevant: Walnut Creek, a white (74% white and 12% model minority asian) affluent suburb of SF Metro area, is trying to split their schools off from Diablo school district that includes less affluent diverse communities.

Trabisnikof posted:

I probably have a different view because I am not a member of a downtrodden minority group, but I am thinking of one on one interactions: What ratio of strangers would help you jump start your car or give you a ride into town in an urban area vs. rural area? What about check if you are having a medical emergency if they see you lying in the street?

I know it has had a negative effect on myself. I can't help everyone I see in need, so I end up helping nobody unless I feel some sort of tribal connection to them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, that's on you. I've lived in a city all my life and I'd still help someone I saw lying on the ground. In fact, I've only ever seen medical emergencies with first responders already there because someone called 911.

I've also never waited more than 10 minutes for someone to stop and jump my car.

In a low density area, how likely is it that someone actually finds you in time to call 911, by comparison?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've lived in a city all my life and I'd still help someone I saw lying on the ground.
You don't walk by homeless looking people without being completely sure they are just sleeping?
I think I need to spend less time in the financial district.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 15, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Small town types and similar parochial conservatives tend to be more friendly to their neighbors and more invested in their "community" than urban liberals, but the flip side of that is that anyone who they've never personally interacted with who belongs to a different tribe is just "the other" -- a virtual person they've been told exists, but can't quite conceive of as human being with a unique personality or agency. So, prejudice, scapegoating, stereotyping, and xenophobia are able to run rampant in rural communities because people don't really know or care about "those people" and are willing to believe whatever disgusting, victim blaming, stereotypes about them that are convenient to their worldview.

What's funny is when a small town bigot actually meets a butch lesbian or an effeminate gay man or an angry black person or an illegal immigrant or a muslim or an atheist or whoever, they'll often be perfectly nice to them and may even like them as people, but it's usually not enough to change how they perceive all the outsiders they haven't met. The stereotypes are something that exists independently from the people they allegedly describe and it's easy enough to dismiss the blatant exceptions to the "rule" as "one of the good ones."

I think liberal urbanites tend to be much more jaded about humanity in general because you have to deal with a thousand strangers every day and a not insignificant portion of those interactions will be with creeps and crazy people and rude jerks and homeless people who smell really bad and drug addicts trying to beg or scam money from you. It callouses people. At the same time though, I think having to confront "the other" on a daily basis tends to make urbanites much more aware that people are people, everyone's a little lovely, and the groups they "belong to" are a lousy way of telling who's going to be a chill dude and who's going to ruin your day, which inoculates people (the Trumps aside) from viewing the world through the lens of lazy stereotypes. Living in a city where you can't just trust that all your neighbors are good people looking out for you and and where your life might depend on the quality of public infrastructure and civil services also makes "small government" conservatarianism a lot less appealing.

None of that means urban liberals can't be smug, selfish assholes who mostly care about themselves and think everyone who doesn't live in The City is an ignorant hick though. Because, like, holy gently caress are there a lot of those people in the Bay.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CopperHound posted:

You don't walk by homeless looking people without being completely sure they are just sleeping?

Usually they're reading the newspaper.

Duckbag posted:

Small town types and similar parochial conservatives tend to be more friendly to their neighbors and more invested in their "community" than urban liberals, but the flip side of that is that anyone who they've never personally interacted with who belongs to a different tribe is just "the other" -- a virtual person they've been told exists, but can't quite conceive of as human being with a unique personality or agency. So, prejudice, scapegoating, stereotyping, and xenophobia are able to run rampant in rural communities because people don't really know or care about "those people" and are willing to believe whatever disgusting, victim blaming, stereotypes about them that are convenient to their worldview.

What's funny is when a small town bigot actually meets a butch lesbian or an effeminate gay man or an angry black person or an illegal immigrant or a muslim or an atheist or whoever, they'll often be perfectly nice to them and may even like them as people, but it's usually not enough to change how they perceive all the outsiders they haven't met. The stereotypes are something that exists independently from the people they allegedly describe and it's easy enough to dismiss the blatant exceptions to the "rule" as "one of the good ones."

I think liberal urbanites tend to be much more jaded about humanity in general because you have to deal with a thousand strangers every day and a not insignificant portion of those interactions will be with creeps and crazy people and rude jerks and homeless people who smell really bad and drug addicts trying to beg or scam money from you. It callouses people. At the same time though, I think having to confront "the other" on a daily basis tends to make urbanites much more aware that people are people, everyone's a little lovely, and the groups they "belong to" are a lousy way of telling who's going to be a chill dude and who's going to ruin your day, which inoculates people (the Trumps aside) from viewing the world through the lens of lazy stereotypes. Living in a city where you can't just trust that all your neighbors are good people looking out for you and and where your life might depend on the quality of public infrastructure and civil services also makes "small government" conservatarianism a lot less appealing.

None of that means urban liberals can't be smug, selfish assholes who mostly care about themselves and think everyone who doesn't live in The City is an ignorant hick though. Because, like, holy gently caress are there a lot of those people in the Bay.

I agree with this.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CopperHound posted:

:same: I pass by dozens (if not more) homeless and/or crazy people everyday, sometimes passed out, and I don't give a poo poo nor do I give out money (mostly just not having cash but also futility of it anyways) and just the typical bay shrug. i'd probably have to put in about 10x 911 calls at any given day if i did. if they were out bleeding in the street yeah sure

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

:same: I pass by dozens (if not more) homeless and/or crazy people everyday, sometimes passed out, and I don't give a poo poo nor do I give out money (mostly just not having cash but also futility of it anyways) and just the typical bay shrug. i'd probably have to put in about 10x 911 calls at any given day if i did. if they were out bleeding in the street yeah sure

When I was living in Humboldt, it was super jarring and a little scary how many long term homeless there were in Eureka and Arcata. Some of them were good people and my friends, but I hated having to constantly deal with meth zombies, smelly trimmigrant kids with untreated mental illnesses, and the sort of desperate lost souls who tried to survive as drug dealers in a place where almost everyone already knew where to get drugs. It was like walking past the gates of hell every time I tried to get groceries or go to a bar.

Downtown San Diego, LA, and SF have the same problem, but having thousands of homeless people in a tri-city area with fewer than 100k people total meant there was no way to ever to escape it. I wanted to help people and it was a very generous community, but turning a blind eye to most of the bullshit happening there was the only way to stay sane. The last thing most people wanted was to become a part of that particular bad scene themselves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Duckbag posted:

When I was living in Humboldt, it was super jarring and a little scary how many long term homeless there were in Eureka and Arcata. Some of them were good people and my friends, but I hated having to constantly deal with meth zombies, smelly trimmigrant kids with untreated mental illnesses, and the sort of desperate lost souls who tried to survive as drug dealers in a place where almost everyone already knew where to get drugs. It was like walking past the gates of hell every time I tried to get groceries or go to a bar.

Downtown San Diego, LA, and SF have the same problem, but having thousands of homeless people in a tri-city area with fewer than 100k people total meant there was no way to ever to escape it. I wanted to help people and it was a very generous community, but turning a blind eye to most of the bullshit happening there was the only way to stay sane. The last thing most people wanted was to become a part of that particular bad scene themselves.

Yeah it's often not an empathy issue. You can only do so much for other people without harming yourself.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Individually, yes. Collectively, we can, have, and will someday again do much more.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The biggest problem in Hum is that the housing, mental health, and drug crises are just too big for one poor, rural county to handle. They're at the intersection of the Bay Area and Oregon hippie nomad cultural zones and a Pelican Bay drop off area as well. Even if it weren't a major drug hub, it would still have more problems than your typical rural California county, but as it is, its crises can't be solved locally without massive aid from the state or federal government. Right now all they seem interested in is busting mid level drug dealers though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scheduled surgery could largely solve this problem if the industry gave a poo poo. There's very few excuses: it's scheduled in advance, they know how much time you'll be on the table (usually) and yet...mysteriously...they keep working these docs (and nurse anesthesiologists) on these incredibly long shifts. Because they don't care.

Nobody is saying a tired doc should walk away from the operating table halfway through.

Hey, this concerns me directly because I'm having a surgery soon. Should I skip the anesthesia and just chug a bottle of jack Daniels before they get the knives out?

Asking for a friend

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, this concerns me directly because I'm having a surgery soon. Should I skip the anesthesia and just chug a bottle of jack Daniels before they get the knives out?

Asking for a friend

Anesthesiologists actually implemented a checklist after some fighting over it, and now less people die in surgery.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Asking for a friend

Actually, you shouldn't have scheduled a surgery until like, September. You never schedule surgeries June-August.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-2028-olympics-deal-20170731-story.html

Confirmed: We're getting the 2028 games. IOC is providing a lot of giveback for us to not pursue 2024.

quote:

Increased money from IOC - Paris will get approx $1.7B, we'll likely get a little over $2B.
$180M cash right now. This is partially to run the prep committee for another 4 years ($20M) and $160M for youth sports in LA.
They waived a bunch of fees for us, not much detail on this.
If our games are profitable, we get to keep 100% of the proceeds as opposed to paying 20% royalty to the IOC.

Also those are interest free loans available right now. Yeah, we still the best place to host an olympics.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Great! Refurbish those existing venues, extend the Blue Line to Union Station, and finish the goddamn United terminal at LAX and we got ourselves a Games!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
God...LAX *shudder*

I did see Ron Jeremy there once, he was in Departures (seemed weird not to see him in Arrivals, lol)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

God...LAX *shudder*

I did see Ron Jeremy there once, he was in Departures (seemed weird not to see him in Arrivals, lol)

Did you say hi?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

God...LAX *shudder*

I got a photo with Denise Crosby, she was chilling at the baggage claim. That's my nerd moment.

My female friend was sitting in a conference room and lo and behold, Ron Jeremy sitting next to her. She got a photo of him kissing her cheek. I didn't know if I should have vomited or gave her a high five.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got a photo with Denise Crosby, she was chilling at the baggage claim. That's my nerd moment.

My female friend was sitting in a conference room and lo and behold, Ron Jeremy sitting next to her. She got a photo of him kissing her cheek. I didn't know if I should have vomited or gave her a high five.

why not both?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

el dorito posted:

why not both?

Perfect.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

San Diego has a Jefferson Davis High and a Robert E. Lee Elementry.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Trabisnikof posted:

San Diego has a Jefferson Davis High and a Robert E. Lee Elementry.

Surprising no one, a bunch of schools, public buildings and streets in Orange County are named after klan members.

Also, Hollywood Forever Cemetery has had a confederate memorial in it as well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Even the cemetary with Bruce Lee has a confederate memorial in one corner :wtc:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Surprising no one, a bunch of schools, public buildings and streets in Orange County are named after klan members.

Also, Hollywood Forever Cemetery has had a confederate memorial in it as well.

OC Weekly makes it a point to talk about how embarrassingly racist Orange County is as much as possible.

Santee, a suburb of San Diego, is also called Klantee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jaxyon posted:

OC Weekly makes it a point to talk about how embarrassingly racist Orange County is as much as possible.

Santee, a suburb of San Diego, is also called Klantee
We called it Santucky.