Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Like just another thing that needs to be pointed out again. Trump got a lower percentage of the vote than Romney did. Trump did not charge in with some massive landslide, non-Republicans in swing states just didn't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

so get better at mocking people rather than just wishing death upon them or w/e

if you want to see what a good mock thread looks like, try the deviantart thread in gbs or the AUG thread in PYF

unless you're too afraid of ~indoctrination~ or ~legitimization~ to embed youtubers' videos, in which case, idk what to tell ya

Yes I'm sure we could learn a lot from watching gbsers mock the scrawls of horny confused teenagers. Masturbating with one hand while acting the weird goon puritan with the other. All your posturing and it turns out the thread just isn't gbs enough for you. Why don't you go back there.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah it's this. Trump proved that there is an absolutely horrid rotten core at the center of Rightwing politics in this country filled with people beyond reproach. My parents are the quintessential Limbaugh-listening, Trump voting midwestern lower middle class whites and while i was able to look past their politics for a while for the sake of love and family, knowing they voted for such a reprehensible man finally brought their true inner selves into sharp relief

By voting for trump, that part of America publicly revealed a very very very dark and rotten core that can't be altered. We can only move on as a culture and leave them behind in their sad lovely past

There are endless stories from Trump voters on facebook about losing friendsand family to politics

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's got to be like SA demographics in the mid 2000s, like 17-22 nerdy white men. And like SA I've gotta figure that the user base will liberalize as they go to school and get laid and make friends and meet minorities

I joined SA back in 2004 (holy poo poo ) and I remember back in those days using slurs like "friend of the family" and "human being" and other stuff that conservatives used and continue to use was the cool thing to do. The irreverent nature of the place made it appealing, except that, even back then, this place was still quite liberal (I remember the 2004 election threads). Also, those slurs were never directed at any people that those slurs would normally be used for. It was just the vernacular at the time. Of course, eventually we grew out of it too.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

I joined SA back in 2004 (holy poo poo ) and I remember back in those days using slurs like "friend of the family" and "human being" and other stuff that conservatives used and continue to use was the cool thing to do. The irreverent nature of the place made it appealing, except that, even back then, this place was still quite liberal (I remember the 2004 election threads). Also, those slurs were never directed at any people that those slurs would normally be used for. It was just the vernacular at the time. Of course, eventually we grew out of it too.

Yeah I'm an 05 and I remember the same thing; and in that way it genuinely feels like SA tracked closely to the changes in society over the years

I'm assuming that the 4chan user base has turned over over the years in a way SA hasn't, not just because it's free, but because it became much more visible

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

As it turns out a handful of goons weren't being ironic.

4chan culture can't really be defined. All the subforums here have their own culture like the boards there but with the anonymous nature makes cross pollination undetectable so each board really felt like an island when I was young and dumb and there. Like how everyone thought the whole site was /b/ and the rest of the site hated /b/

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah it's this. Trump proved that there is an absolutely horrid rotten core at the center of Rightwing politics in this country filled with people beyond reproach. My parents are the quintessential Limbaugh-listening, Trump voting midwestern lower middle class whites and while i was able to look past their politics for a while for the sake of love and family, knowing they voted for such a reprehensible man finally brought their true inner selves into sharp relief

By voting for trump, that part of America publicly revealed a very very very dark and rotten core that can't be altered. We can only move on as a culture and leave them behind in their sad lovely past

this kind of outlook is just depressing and sad af

everything works out a lot better if you don't regard the world through a pair of poo poo-tinted lenses; i know it's difficult on somethingawful but don't lose your faith in humanity

keep focused on the things that make life beautiful and before you know it you'll feel silly for ever thinking any of this mattered so much

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There are endless stories from Trump voters on facebook about losing friendsand family to politics

the defining moment in election 2016 for me was the day after the election: i was texting with a gay friend who was on public transport (big city) going to work and telling him "hey, you'll be fine dude, it's not the end of the world things will work out for the better" and then right in the middle of that, someone on the bus started harassing him because they thought he had voted trump and they were angry as gently caress

that was the moment when i realized that poo poo, people need to just calm down

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Trump isn't even that big of a deal. It's the people around him who are creating and passing the policies. He's just the figurehead that they can hide behind because an incompetent opposition refused to tie Trump to the Republicans at large. Now it's not Republican legisation, it's Trump legislation, and that people who would oust Trump would rather have Mike loving Pence because he acts more refined, even though he's be passing all the same poo poo, is just loving insane.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

the defining moment in election 2016 for me was the day after the election: i was texting with a gay friend who was on public transport (big city) going to work and telling him "hey, you'll be fine dude, it's not the end of the world things will work out for the better" and then right in the middle of that, someone on the bus started harassing him because they thought he had voted trump and they were angry as gently caress

oh word

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump is more dangerous than Pence because he's an amoral narcissist. He's all the bad of regular republicans but destructive on top of that from ignorance and brazen hedonism. I'd rather have Pence to fight any day. It's a shame that if we get him tons of politically active people would slide back to passivity.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
This is the thing. People act like Trump is some kind of unilateral force of evil that can pass legislation at will. That's not how it works. He's supported by the party in power to do the things that get passed. Nothing that is happening now is happening without approval and support from the structure under him. All Trump does is sign the bills and say stupid poo poo from the bully pulpit.

Whenever I talk to Dems about why Trumps is so bad, the first thing alot of people jump to is that he makes "us" look bad infront of everyone.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 14, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

everything works out a lot better if you don't regard the world through a pair of poo poo-tinted lenses; i know it's difficult on somethingawful but don't lose your faith in humanity

keep focused on the things that make life beautiful and before you know it you'll feel silly for ever thinking any of this mattered so much

I wish I was half as insulated from reality as you are, I really do.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kokoro Wish posted:

This is the thing. People act like Trump is some kind of unilateral force of evil that can pass legislation at will. That's not how it works. He's supported by the party in power to do the things that get passed. Nothing that is happening now is happening without approval and support from the structure under him. All Trump does is sign the bills and say stupid poo poo from the bully pulpit.

Whenever I talk to Dems about why Trumps is so bad, the first thing alot of people jump to is that he makes "us" look bad infront of everyone.

He uses the powers of the executive branch in wildly unpredictable ways and feels no obligation to mind any norms. The senate would be loving us in exactly the same way under Pence but right now we have both of them and it feels unproductive to play fantasy football with "who would be worse" talk. There is tremendous will among democrats to normalize Trump as merely odious like Bush because then the system they know and serve remains free of indictment and nobody primaries them for their long service to capital.

But Trump is bad in many ways unrelated to being a hand to sign whatever the legislature serves up.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

While I'm sure you have a very real actual gay friend who totally exists, it must be nice to be able to look at the victory of a man who is willing to think that your friend shouldn't exist if that's what he's told to say, and a man who thinks your friend should be brainwashed and tortured until he isn't gay anymore, and say to your friend "It'll be fine" because you aren't going to be brainwashed and tortured.

Did your Mexican friend who is also real and exists need calming down too?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Didn't watch the whole thing but the Laci Green hangout with Contra was a bit pointless as it was just her agreeing with everything as they defined basic stuff that would only be objectionable if you were easily triggered Alt Right. I don't know if it was so much her being a door mat as it was the content.

Laci using speakers for her own audio is a 10+ year old skype mistake :ughh:

Carecat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Carecat posted:

Didn't watch the whole thing but the Laci Green hangout was a bit pointless as it was just her agreeing with everything as they defined basic stuff that would only be objectionable if you were easily triggered Alt Right. I don't know if it was so much her being a door mat as it was the content.

Laci using speakers for her own audio is a 10+ year old skype mistake :ughh:

So not worth watching/listening to?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The TERF was kind of interesting because she was 90% incisive and reasonable when talking about structural problems related to gender but would not refer to trans people as anything other than men, like she had some kind of really specific delusion. Like, she literally didn't seem to hear or understand Laci any of the times she tried explaining why a trans woman might be seen or treated differently--she would just stare ahead uncomprehendingly and then keep talking as if Laci hadn't said anything. It was extremely bizarre. She didn't acknowledge trans men either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

Being a huge nerd is not the issue here.

it's not but even before she was redpilled i aint taking sex advice from a nerd.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
There was a cute bit where Laci was opining that it was impossible for her to use language that kept both sides happy.

Well yeah girl. You may have to pick one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Desiderata posted:

There was a cute bit where Laci was opining that it was impossible for her to use language that kept both sides happy.

Well yeah girl. You may have to pick one.

"I just don't know how to keep both Nazis and Jews happy. And sitting on this fence is really starting to hurt my rear end! Oh woe is me!"

Yeah, I don't have any sympathy for her.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

No, because calm people just let things happen. Anger motivates people.

Your little story would be more effective if you weren't telling a gay person to not be afraid of the people who literally said they want to remove his rights. You are the Nazi sympathizer telling a Jew that being moved to a ghetto isn't that bad. You're an rear end in a top hat and should be loving ashamed of yourself that you think you come off well in that story.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

isn't 4chan only a few years younger than SA?

Yeah we're way past the point where these guys are gonna "liberalize." The alt-right has thrown a wrench in the common wisdom that people liberalize as they go to college or grow more conservative as they age. Nagle's book covers who and roughly what age channers and other alt-right people are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”

- Naomi Shulman

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”

- Naomi Shulman

Resisting makes you equally as bad as the Nazis. It's best to just let them know that you don't agree with their views on killing undesirables and that you want to discuss it with them, but that you respect their position and won't do anything to stop it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHTSyN05hr8

https://www.patreon.com/TMBS

Figure I'll just post this here just in the vague case anyone wants to contribute. Someone in here earlier did say they liked Brooks to an extent.

I'm supporting Majority Report and now this, or I will when I have money.

It's kinda funny, most of the Progressive YouTube stuff I follow are young people or people around my age at least. But I really, really like the Majority Report crew.

In terms of actual "news" people on YT and podcasts, they sure as poo poo beat The Young Turks, Jimmy Dore and Secular Talk. ST's Kyle was the first more Left-oriented news place I followed on YT but his palling around with the likes of Sargon and TJ Kirk kind of put me off. But I stopped following him around the time he crowdfunded about 100K for a new studio or some crazy poo poo.

So, lucky him I guess but that money could have gone to better YouTubers.

Not really sure where to post this, here or Left Wing Media. Oh well, this should work since this thread is equal parts making GBS threads on YouTubers we hate and advocating YouTubers we like.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 14, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Keith Olbermann is also doing a good job in his GQ videos, I understand that some people really hate him because of various reasons, but he does an excellent job of capturing the righteous fury we should all be feeling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, yeah if you're doing your sadbrains on babby mode.

Get on my level and face to bloodshed.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Your little story would be more effective if you weren't telling a gay person to not be afraid of the people who literally said they want to remove his rights. You are the Nazi sympathizer telling a Jew that being moved to a ghetto isn't that bad. You're an rear end in a top hat and should be loving ashamed of yourself that you think you come off well in that story.

Seconded, anger is the appropriate response to some things.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The funniest part of this to me is you telling a friend he's going to be okay when you're not even in the same area code as the trouble he's in now because of Trump. I've got quite a lot of gay/minority friends and the first thing I did was never loving tell them "It's going to be okay!" I told them "I'm here for you if you need me, and I don't support this garbage Trump is spewing." One is condescending, the other is being a good friend and supporting them through a very rough time, and you probably never even got that it might have been a problem to say it.

I'm sure you were loving ecstatic to get an anecdote about how it's actually the liberals that are the real meanies, though.

Also, the thing about the "people who voted for trump weren't ALL racist" thing is:

https://www.thenation.com/article/economic-anxiety-didnt-make-people-vote-trump-racism-did/

The issue isn't that they were all racist, it's that racism is the only indicator for someone to vote Trump vs anyone else. Economic anxiety was not even a factor in his victory.

edit: wrong link whoops

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

What Pittsburgh Lambic fails to grasp is that it is actions that matter, not what lies in their heart.

This is basically true, but omits some serious nuances. The assumption here is that Trump voters are rational actors with perfect or near-perfect information (and aren't brainwashed). This smells of the idea that they should be held to account in precisely the same way as someone who got accidentally pregnant (i.e. we don't own them anything because they did it to themselves). The reality is that neither Trump voters nor the rest of us are truly rational actors. We're all driven to a certain extent by tribalism, narrative and in-group participation. Trump voters can be seriously misinformed by the media that gets blasted at them on a daily basis (Fox, Rush). Trump voters routinely express surprise that *this* is the guy they elected or *this* is the policy that Trump also supports. Some of them don't know how Obamacare/ACA works (or that they're even the same thing). Education also plays a role as others have pointed out previously.

Basically, the idea of moral responsibility and how character maps on to action is a bit more complicated than simply "they voted for x, they must be y". Near the edges of political participation, I think this assertion is true (you voted for CPUSA, you're probably a communist, you voted for David Duke, you're probably a racist), but for the vast majority of voters, voting is a function of more complex processes related to identifying with the candidate. There have been at least a few studies that have shown that people are more likely to vote for someone they think they can hang out with rather than on policy specifics. Evaluating people's morality outside of their social framework is also pretty imprecise. Someone brought up the idea that murderers should be deemed murderers without social or internal context, but obviously even our judicial system doesn't believe this. We build in mitigating factors for abused individuals who murder their abusers (even if the abuser isn't hurting them at that specific moment). We also recognize crimes of passion, where a heightened internal state can mitigate external actions. Actions don't always indicate what we think they do.

For clarity, I consider most alt-righters (but not Trump voters) to be near the edges of participation and more or less irredeemable, but as I've noted before, you don't engage with alt-righters to convince them, you do it to convince the onlookers.

tl;dr: Morality, society and the mechanics of voting are complicated.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The only folks I've encountered telling people "There's nothing to worry about." and "It's going to be just fine." have all been middle aged or older white suburbanites or they live in the country where nobody looks or acts differently than them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The funniest part of this to me is you telling a friend he's going to be okay when you're not even in the same area code as the trouble he's in now because of Trump. I've got quite a lot of gay/minority friends and the first thing I did was never loving tell them "It's going to be okay!" I told them "I'm here for you if you need me, and I don't support this garbage Trump is spewing." One is condescending, the other is being a good friend and supporting them through a very rough time, and you probably never even got that it might have been a problem to say it.

I know that when I'm afraid for my life the one thing I want to hear the most is some privileged doofus who's never had a hardship in his life telling me I'm overreacting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Keith Olbermann is also doing a good job in his GQ videos, I understand that some people really hate him because of various reasons, but he does an excellent job of capturing the righteous fury we should all be feeling.

his voice/manner of speaking are super annoying.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Sometimes people don't know what to say but still want to be supportive. Although most times is best just to listen instead of trying to help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like someone who wants to be supportive indiscriminately to anything that wanders across their intellectual field of view is possibly a bit of an oik.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWd6XgBVIcg

Does this qualify for this thread?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I just remembered that a friend of mine has been touring festivals with a small play about dudes who get into this kind of culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NljKw89OB8Q

I'll have to ask if he'll be putting the whole thing online and not just a trailer.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Encountered this dude after he got super defensive about Gamergate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNMThc65izA

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Encountered this dude after he got super defensive about Gamergate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNMThc65izA

Jesus, I couldn't make it 25 seconds in.

HBomb, Olson, Ellis and Shaun have really fuckin' ruined me for audio quality/script craftsmanship baselines.

E: This is loving torment dude, how am I 4 minutes in and he hasn't actually gotten anywhere on the topic, it's just reading a paper off the screen but he's screwing everything up and repeating himself. Did he never edit this? Did he listen to it? Did he... actually think that this was good?

E2: Seven minutes in, still working through the intro to a paper he wrote but the way he's reading it he has no idea what it actually is.

E3: Eight minutes. So far he's apologised for his spelling, his sentence construction, his pronunciation, his lack of citations and his actual arguments, all as preamble to actually getting to the point. He got hung up on the word "infidel," which he identified as a 'name,' for more than five seconds, and he ended up having to spell it out- again, this is in a paper he loving wrote. I'm gonna abandon this, as he's clearly in the 'too ignorant to even comprehend how wrong he is' camp. Why the gently caress did he make this?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 15, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its a Saturday, the weather's nice and everyone's having fun. So lets watch this 4 hour "debate" between Socialists and Capitalist youtubers. Starring Sargon of Akkad and that weird fox guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6gB3gA9UZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Archer666 posted:

Its a Saturday, the weather's nice and everyone's having fun. So lets watch this 4 hour "debate" between Socialists and Capitalist youtubers. Starring Sargon of Akkad and that weird fox guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6gB3gA9UZg

No I won't watch any debate when th Carl fuckface, it's really clear from all of the debates I've seen him in is that he's a dishonest gently caress who neither has the intelligence nor the capacity for honesty and reason, I will not waste time with this idiot and his cocksuckers

• Locked thread