Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cippalippus posted:

If you could play light tanks well you could farm like there's no tomorrow. I was/am a super unicum thanks in no small part to my lights.

Yeah, my light game was stronk back in the day. Spot the entire enemy team, watch your pet pubbies steamroll their pubbies.

DDs are good in WoWS. Not Steel Ocean brokenly good, but I definitely don't feel at a disadvantage playing them.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, my light game was stronk back in the day. Spot the entire enemy team, watch your pet pubbies steamroll their pubbies.

Lucky you. Many of my teams played the game of "spot enemy team, run the gently caress away." It isn't too dissimilar to how battleship players are in this game now that I think about it.

Also, to add one more to the talk about mid tier DDs sucking. At mid tier, it isn't just radar and yourself getting spotted more that is the problem. It is that for ships like the ijn DDs, their torp speeds are still pretty garbage. However, cruisers have started to gain hydro that allows for way early spotting on the torpedoes. Likewise, many of the ships have also started picking up a catapult fighter. Only mildly important for on battleships, but they have a 5 minute duration on cruisers. Those planes can also spot torps if they cross over them. Which is why the double catapult fighter perk is so valuable. So basically, you are dealing with destroyers that don't have that great a concealment anyway trying to launch torps at ships while the enemy has all the tools to spot incoming torps with.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Hmm.. I don't have any Japan (or DD) premiums and there's this Harekaze thing available.

Guess it's an anime boat but is it actually an okay boat?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Welp, that's probably the best I'll get all weekend. Mine as well stop now while I'm ahead.

Was nice because my team for once actually did mostly everything right rather than the usual "HEY LET'S ALL GO OUR OWN SEPARATE WAYS!"

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Evil_Greven posted:

Hmm.. I don't have any Japan (or DD) premiums and there's this Harekaze thing available.

Guess it's an anime boat but is it actually an okay boat?

It's not worth the price, imo. You can't train Japanese captains with it, and the different hulls are basically worse versions of the Benson, Kagero, and Akizuki.

You can get the Shinonome by doing missions and from what I've seen it's pretty good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blindeye posted:

It's not worth the price, imo. You can't train Japanese captains with it, and the different hulls are basically worse versions of the Benson, Kagero, and Akizuki.

You can get the Shinonome by doing missions and from what I've seen it's pretty good.

Pretty sure you can train Japanese captains with it actually.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Blindeye posted:

You can train jap captains in the harekaze. Likewise, you can train german commanders in the graff spee hsf. Also, the torps are still kagero's torps. And the concealment is still kagero's concealment. The only thing you are changing per hull is what gun and aa suite you want. A hull is kagero, b is akizuki, and c is benson. So more of a matter of taste on what kind of gun play you like. They are still not one to one to those other DDs though, but similar play style. However, you are still a ijn DD and you still have access to the torp reload mod in place of speed boost.

Edit: Also, unlike the arp ships, you can switch out the hsf skin for any other camo if so desired.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 15, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

You can train jap captains in the harekaze. Likewise, you can train german commanders in the graff spee hsf. Also, the torps are still kagero's torps. And the concealment is still kagero's concealment. The only thing you are changing per hull is what gun and aa suite you want. A hull is kagero, b is akizuki, and c is benson. So more of a matter of taste on what kind of gun play you like. They are still not one to one to those other DDs though, but similar play style. However, you are still a ijn DD and you still have access to the torp reload mod in place of speed boost.

Unless the Harekaze is different, it's Smoke the TRB replaces, not Speed Boost. People might actually take it more often if the choice was between it and Speed Boost.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Unless the Harekaze is different, it's Smoke the TRB replaces, not Speed Boost. People might actually take it more often if the choice was between it and Speed Boost.

Hah, you are right. I was going off memory. Flamu did a wip video some time back. He pointed out that all 3 gun choices are right in the ok department. And that it really just depends on your game play preferences.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What's the worst possible thing to bring to this ranked season? Lets open this up into categories:
Worst DD
Worst CA
Worst BB
Worst CV

DD: Probably the Gaede or Gnevny. Anshan basically does what both of these boats do, but better.
CA: Aoba probably. Awful DPM, only 6 guns. Citadels for days.
BB: Literally none...there's sub-optimal like the Dunk, but with its speed you can still do some goofy stuff with it and bully CAs.
CV: Indy. Hands down. How is that even a question.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What's the worst possible thing to bring to this ranked season? Lets open this up into categories:
Worst DD
Worst CA
Worst BB
Worst CV

Graf Spee for CA. Can't do what a CA is supposed to do (kill DDs), can't do what a BB is supposed to do (tank an one shot CAs).

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
3 High Calibers with the Cleveland and zero wins :suicide:

Edit: 4 now.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 15, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

3 High Calibers with the Cleveland and zero wins :suicide:

Edit: 4 now.

At least you're probably not losing stars?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Trillhouse posted:

I play mostly DDs and I agree. I'm working on the US DD line right now after grinding the khaba and despite the fact that everyone seems to love the Farragut, I just don't enjoy it at all. I've stopped playing it after I get my daily bonus and slapped all the +XP flags and camo I can. I love the high tier gameplay but the midlevel DDs feel very anemic.

Flamu is some kind of wizard, so just playing as well as him is unlikely, but nonetheless here's his video guide on the Farra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyST8ChvSsg

An unrelated question, do ingame premium sales happen often? The Kutuzov is on sale in the cash store today in EU, and while it's 30% off I would rather use doubloons if ingame sales are reasonably often.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Blindeye posted:

At least you're probably not losing stars?

20% WR today and 85k damage per game. One loss was so aggravating that I ran around my house screaming obscenities and throwing pillows for probably 3 minutes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

20% WR today and 85k damage per game. One loss was so aggravating that I ran around my house screaming obscenities and throwing pillows for probably 3 minutes.

cruisers.txt

Stand off at range? You need about eighty million hits to kill that BB. Fire can work, but he can repair it pretty quick. If you're fighting at range he can walk away and keep shooting at you and you either have to overextend or break.

Get close? RIP.

Dodge an entire salvo except for that one shell? Whoops, it hit your citadel.

If your cruiser doesn't have some good concealment, terrain to take advantage of, or some kind of gimmick ( smoke ), you will have a bumpy ride. It seems entirely pointless to play them in ranked except for fun.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pretty much. I've taken to just playing the Anshan right now since a good DD can basically win the game early on via spotting and DD execution. If your team fails then stealth torp and farm damage to keep that star. I really can't wait for the Gallant to drop because that 2x4 8km torp setup plus a 10 point captain is going to make it even easier to do the above. Plus the gun handling on the Anshan (11pt capt) is very annoying. Even with expert marksman it's still a bit of a bitch.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Darkrenown posted:

An unrelated question, do ingame premium sales happen often? The Kutuzov is on sale in the cash store today in EU, and while it's 30% off I would rather use doubloons if ingame sales are reasonably often.

Don't know about often, but they do happen.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I think Fubuki is what I'm sticking with.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Blindeye posted:

Shinonome is effusively mediocre compared to Fubuki against ships above its tier. Part of the reason why it is good in ranked this season.

If I recall correctly, Harekaze's 127mms aren't Benson's, they're Midway's.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
This Kaga got real mad about hacks and eventually torped himself to death when everyone called him an idiot:

:allears:

AFAIK he meant "strafe" and didn't know you can strafe out of dogfights now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

This Kaga got real mad about hacks and eventually torped himself to death when everyone called him an idiot:

:allears:

AFAIK he meant "strafe" and didn't know you can strafe out of dogfights now.

I like when the enemy cv drives their bombers right by the dog fight. So you can strafe them off the map on your way out.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Wow I did not know planes can strafe. Will a strafing run hit your own planes or can you strafe an enemy squadron caught in a dogfight safely?

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Wow I did not know planes can strafe. Will a strafing run hit your own planes or can you strafe an enemy squadron caught in a dogfight safely?

They will hit your own planes as well

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Well, Arizona delivered me to Rank 10, one loss (top xp with cruisers self-immolating against an enemy that let their BBs go ahead of their cruisers) and one win (top xp, our team worked really well and had a good DD player).

I wanted to make this the season I get to Rank 1 since tier 6 feels like my wheelhouse and I do great in the Arizona but...eh. I guess it doesn't feel worth it.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
After a few games of ranked I went, eh, gently caress this. My sanity isn't worth the meager rewards. Also apparently I'm one of the best players in the Leningrad :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Playing my cruiser. Spotted before I could get to cover? Oh well. Vary my speed, turn a little bit and oh look my entire health pool was citadel'd away by two hits.

Okay. I made it into a concealed position. Now I can take some shots without getting destroyed and make the best of this.

Lit by a scout plane with x-ray binocs scoping me out through a mountain

Killed by a battleship sitting dead still in the middle of an ocean while ten other ships shoot at him

Just cruiser things

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Yea, kinda regretting trying to do this in a cruiser and thinking about leveling a BB captain. High caliber and arsonist, but just get lolpen'd by the BB who backs up across the whole map gets old.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I wasn't even doing ranked in that battle. Was just bitching in general. :v:

Go DD or go BB in ranked. At least you can almost always secure a capture in a DD, and from there, it isn't hard to guarantee you won't lose a star. Helps get that grind done, too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Ran out of plans? Seek out a terrible BB player and ram him!

(36k damage)
:killdozer:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Starting to grind through the French line, and a Friant battle reminded my why I loving hate the fire RNG game and think it's possibly the worst mechanic in the game. Just checked the exact numbers, and during the game I hit enemy ships with 30 HE shells and caused no fires, and all hits were against targets that were not currently burning. Meanwhile I took 37 HE shells, almost entirely from enemy Friants, and got set on fire 4 times, either mostly or entirely by them (one was uncertain). Even if they were all somehow running Demolition Expert on a T3 ship, percentage numbers are still close enough that it is utter bullshit RNG.

Incidentally, 24 of those hits were against enemy Friants, so it's not even a matter of shooting at a ship that was better protected against fires.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Today's daily dose of :salt:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Who else has been excited for the "grande finale bundle" of the EU sale? Well it's just the Tirpitz :toot:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Playing my cruiser. Spotted before I could get to cover? Oh well. Vary my speed, turn a little bit and oh look my entire health pool was citadel'd away by two hits.

Okay. I made it into a concealed position. Now I can take some shots without getting destroyed and make the best of this.

Lit by a scout plane with x-ray binocs scoping me out through a mountain

Killed by a battleship sitting dead still in the middle of an ocean while ten other ships shoot at him

Just cruiser things

Playing a cruiser in this game is just insanely frustrating most of the time because you don't even have to make a mistake to get hosed up. All it takes is a dice roll when a BB shoots at you to see if you get multiple citadel hits against you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CitizenKain posted:

Playing a cruiser in this game is just insanely frustrating most of the time because you don't even have to make a mistake to get hosed up. All it takes is a dice roll when a BB shoots at you to see if you get multiple citadel hits against you.

Well a ton of things can fall in this catagory. Perfect play doesn't stop a BB from getting torped from time to time and perfect play doesn't stop a DD from getting owned by cruisers from time to time.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

MikeC posted:

Well a ton of things can fall in this catagory. Perfect play doesn't stop a BB from getting torped from time to time and perfect play doesn't stop a DD from getting owned by cruisers from time to time.

Going to disagree with the DD bit. *IF* you play a DD perfectly CAs and CLs can't touch you since you should know where the radar CAs are at all times and whether they have an available radar or not. IMO DDs have the greatest amount of control over how to dictate a game short of perma CV spotting.

Edit: Decided F'it and grabbed the Fubuki. Just lol at how easy it is to get stars. I think I need to grind out the Shin because the extra guns would be awesome.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 16, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Sometimes you'll stumble into another DD ( not a problem with Radio Loc ), but, you know. You have to have extraordinarily bad luck to get deleted by a BB at long range in a DD. The only defense you really have as a cruiser is 'don't get lit', and there are only so many ways you can avoid getting lit and still affect the game.

Fubuki's a good choice for ranked because it is really good at suppressing smoke clouds and scouting. I just never have any luck with my torps so I prefer the gun boats.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I've been saving up free XP to buy the Missouri; however, I just had this realization: after like 2 months I only have 70k saved. This will take years. Given this, and the fact I won't drop $100 for gold to make up the difference, I'm thinking of spending what I have on the Royal Navy BB line when it launches.

Any idea when that might be?

Edit

Not that I am interested, but does anyone else find it extremely odd they aren't selling the de grasse for Bastille Day and the weekend French event? Someone needs to talk to them about marketing.

Double Edit

DDs do not get enough XP and credits for spotting damage.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Unless you really need the credits, the Missouri isn't worth it: the radar is handy but sometimes a spotter/fighter plane is better. I got one because I got thousands of Papa Papa flags in the Christmas boxes, therefore even after buying one and never using a stock ship I'm still sitting on over half a million free xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So I made a bad choice and reinstalled this today. Holy crap when did the install size go to 45 gigs
Are carriers still skycancer?