Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It would have helped if anything really happened this episode beside essentially recapping the plot again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure this marks the fourth episode in a row where nothing has happened.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Things did happen this episode. If you consider nothing to have happened this episode, then I think it's pretty clear by now that this show isn't for you.

That's not a dig at anyone, to be clear.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

My bet: Souta's idea was to create a bland shounen high-school character to tie all the plotlines together, as the most self-inserty self-insert to have ever self-inserted :laffo:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
half way through the ep right now...

sota, you're an arsehole

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
oh holy gently caress this ED is better than this show deserves

:kimchi:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zetsubou-san posted:

oh holy gently caress the recap and extras are too good for this show

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

My bet: Souta's idea was to create a bland shounen high-school character to tie all the plotlines together, as the most self-inserty self-insert to have ever self-inserted :laffo:

To be fair that would be hilarious.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

paragon1 posted:

Things did happen this episode. If you consider nothing to have happened this episode, then I think it's pretty clear by now that this show isn't for you.

This show's pace is abysmal though. Things move sooo slowly, like they didn't even find the new girl until the end of the episode and they spent what felt like half of their run time on still shots. I don't know if it's just the director doesn't know how to pace out a 24 episode season or they keep blowing their budget on those OP/EDs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This episode had plenty of conflict and action, you all were just looking at the wrong half of the cast. Sota actually getting something going is good too.

Did anyone else notice the random football team logos? I spotted the Corinthians (Brazillian) and Chelsea (English) along with the Brazil team uniform. Why on earth would that stuff be in a random Japanese stadium?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kwyndig posted:

This show's pace is abysmal though. Things move sooo slowly, like they didn't even find the new girl until the end of the episode and they spent what felt like half of their run time on still shots. I don't know if it's just the director doesn't know how to pace out a 24 episode season or they keep blowing their budget on those OP/EDs.

On this I agree, the plot probably could have been where it is 3 or 4 episodes ago if they'd really wanted it to be.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

paragon1 posted:

They've spent that time explaining the same very basic plan to different groups of people. Yes that is technically "things happening" but the dramatic stakes didn't change, no new thematic ground has been covered. It's the same any given bad shonen filler or Michael Bay's Transformers movies being nearly three hours long. There are technically events to be described, but they are all ultimately pointless to the story. People just did what they told us they were going to do without major complications. This was the first time in those four episodes that there was even a minor conflict and even then it was resolved by the end of the next scene without saying or examining anything. A character abandons and reconciles with the process without any examination as to why or what changes, and Sota's tortuously slow realization that he should DO SOMETHING deserves a medal for deliberately wasting time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did anyone else notice the random football team logos? I spotted the Corinthians (Brazillian) and Chelsea (English) along with the Brazil team uniform. Why on earth would that stuff be in a random Japanese stadium?

Because that is Nissan Stadium which hosted the World Cup in 2002 and a bunch of Club World Cups afterwards. Apparently they use this stadium for lots of Final matches since it's gigantic. The two teams you spotted played there in 2012.

I'm assuming they are going to use the venue in their plan as a giant gathering of spectators to watch the special anime battle event.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Terrible Opinions posted:

They've spent that time explaining the same very basic plan to different groups of people. Yes that is technically "things happening" but the dramatic stakes didn't change, no new thematic ground has been covered. It's the same any given bad shonen filler or Michael Bay's Transformers movies being nearly three hours long. There are technically events to be described, but they are all ultimately pointless to the story. People just did what they told us they were going to do without major complications. This was the first time in those four episodes that there was even a minor conflict and even then it was resolved by the end of the next scene without saying or examining anything. A character abandons and reconciles with the process without any examination as to why or what changes, and Sota's tortuously slow realization that he should DO SOMETHING deserves a medal for deliberately wasting time.

I bet you're the kind of guy who skips the parts where people talk to each other in Tarantino movies.

To be less of a dick, if that's what you've gotten out of the last four episodes then I really have to wonder why you are even still watching, since you don't seem to be picking up what the show is putting on the table at all.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 10, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why would I do that? Tarantino talking scenes are generally good. Tarantino also knows how to use the camera.

edit: I'm honestly trying to figure out what my friends get out of it, and I'm failing.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 10, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think the show would be cooler if it was creator/creation teams beating the poo poo out of one another, OR creator/creation teams hanging out pigging out sweets and talking poo poo, but not creators hanging around trying and failing to write anything interesting.

The recent episode, the creators by themselves don't have the charisma to carry the show.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How are sales for Re Creators anyway?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AnacondaHL posted:

Because that is Nissan Stadium which hosted the World Cup in 2002 and a bunch of Club World Cups afterwards. Apparently they use this stadium for lots of Final matches since it's gigantic. The two teams you spotted played there in 2012.

I'm assuming they are going to use the venue in their plan as a giant gathering of spectators to watch the special anime battle event.

Huh, didn't know Japan hosted 2002, but it's bloody weird that there was a match between the lovely little Corinthians who've never had a decent side for more than a year before the good players get poached and Chelsea, and they played the match in Japan of all places?

Phobophilia posted:

The recent episode, the creators by themselves don't have the charisma to carry the show.

Yeah, they are a little weak without the creations with them to bounce off of. They ought to be using them together a lot more.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Re:EXPOSITION strikes again

Please let shoujo girl be fun and pleasant

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When the 4Komas outshine the entire show. :catdrugs:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm going to go out on the most overextended limb and claim the most severe case of being anime-pot-committed: those comics have single-handidly pushed the show into the Worth It category for me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet or if everyone just already knows but I'm pretty sure the new nunchuk kid is Yuuya's rival from his manga. I was just catching up and noticed a picture of the two of them squaring off in the background at one point, during the recap I think. It's easy to miss cuz he has his hood up.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, I think you're right. I guess Altair is bringing in characters from the same works as her opponents to mess with them?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
havent seen latest ep but ive been assuming that altair brings in creations from japanese media that her creator and sota consume

like i dont see her bringing in john wick

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phobophilia posted:

havent seen latest ep but ive been assuming that altair brings in creations from japanese media that her creator and sota consume

like i dont see her bringing in john wick

Man that would be incredible if she did though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, they're not bringing in characters from actual franchises, only knock-offs, so i'm not sure we'd be able to recognize an anime-fied John Wick anyways. I guess there's Blitz Talker? At least he has a gun.

I'd love to see some kind of analogue to an American comic show hero. Bring in someone from the Mighty Ducks. Someone from Mummies Alive, TMNT, Extreme Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, whatever. I wanna see Xanatos show up

But yeah, not gonna happen it's gonna be all local stuff.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

HenryEx posted:

Bring in someone from the Mighty Ducks. Someone from Mummies Alive, TMNT, Extreme Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, whatever. I wanna see Xanatos show up

This show takes place in 201X.

They don't even have a Dragonball, City Hunter, Fist of the North Star or Doraemon expys. The most old school creations are "People are still ripping off Gundam 40 years later" Kanoya and "What if we superificially took the elements of Jojo we liked without all the texture and personality that makes it interesting" Mirokuji

You'd have a better chance of ___________ The Hedgehog showing up

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yea but i'm not watching TV anymore nowadays, so i only know what was on 20 years ago :v:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's kind of hilarious how many more frames Magane gets in her every movement than the rest of the cast put together

Also, drat this show is sometimes too relatable:

https://my.mixtape.moe/iwyjch.mp4

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yea but i'm not watching TV anymore nowadays, so i only know what was on 20 years ago :v:

The SImpsons is still on.

The Simpsons will always be on.

Also, Sota apparently topped the Newtype polls this month. I haven't watched the last few episodes, so did I miss him suddenly being replaced by Reigen Arataka or Joseph Joestar or summat when I wasn't looking? Because otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's not just that he's bland, but he also doesn't, you know, accomplish anything. He's just there.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Well, they're not bringing in characters from actual franchises, only knock-offs, so i'm not sure we'd be able to recognize an anime-fied John Wick anyways. I guess there's Blitz Talker? At least he has a gun.

I'd love to see some kind of analogue to an American comic show hero. Bring in someone from the Mighty Ducks. Someone from Mummies Alive, TMNT, Extreme Dinosaurs, Gargoyles, whatever. I wanna see Xanatos show up

But yeah, not gonna happen it's gonna be all local stuff.

How big is Marvel/DC stuff in the East?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

How big is Marvel/DC stuff in the East?

In Japan?

Reasonably big. Spider-Man had a fairly popular TV show back in the 70s, Avengers made 45 million, there's a lot of influence visible in current manga, especially My Hero Academia...

If you're a nerd in Japan, you almost certainly can pick at least a couple of the big names out of a lineup, even if you don't know the finer details.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, Sota apparently topped the Newtype polls this month. I haven't watched the last few episodes, so did I miss him suddenly being replaced by Reigen Arataka or Joseph Joestar or summat when I wasn't looking? Because otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's not just that he's bland, but he also doesn't, you know, accomplish anything. He's just there.

The male Newtype polls have always been dominated by the absolute most tedious, milquetoast, boringest-common-denominator bullshit like him, the brown haired Gundam Destiny, the Black Swordsman who is actually a lovely nerd and not a swordsman, Light Novel Hero X, etc.

I like to think that the only times there's an actually cool dude on there it's because all the horny fangirls are expressing their thirst. God bless 'em!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I mean, even on the female character side, what fan popularity poll isn't dominated by horny fan thirst?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

The male Newtype polls have always been dominated by the absolute most tedious, milquetoast, boringest-common-denominator bullshit like him, the brown haired Gundam Destiny, the Black Swordsman who is actually a lovely nerd and not a swordsman, Light Novel Hero X, etc.

I like to think that the only times there's an actually cool dude on there it's because all the horny fangirls are expressing their thirst. God bless 'em!

But most Light Novel Hero X types get girls and kick asses. Like, Kirito's an awful character, but I can see the fantasy. (Because I am Good At Videogames, women want me and men want to be me. The government will pay me money because I am so good at games, and I will be a hero.)

Sota doesn't even have that appeal.

I don't get it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, wasn't Gintoki Sakata at one point #1 "Male Character I want to Marry" in a Newtype poll or something? Surely they can't be ALL bad.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
is it really that hard to believe that a character who is creatively in a rut and has what could be considered some form of depression is relatable/enjoyable from a newtype reader's perspective

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

is it really that hard to believe that a character who is creatively in a rut and has what could be considered some form of depression is relatable/enjoyable from a newtype reader's perspective

A guy in a rut with depression being enjoyable and relatable? Why yes, I have watched One Punch Man.

Why do you bring it up in the context of Sota?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Her reaction to finding out she was in an X-rated game was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh man she so does not want to be there. Send her out of the way, let her live her own life.

You can't go "all immigrants from the imagination dimension have human rights" and then immediately conscript her into the reality war.

• Locked thread