Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zzulu posted:

Can't we just put the spotlight on the black superheroes like with Black Panther instead of transforming the already white ones into black ones

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zzulu posted:

Can't we just put the spotlight on the black superheroes like with Black Panther instead of transforming the already white ones into black ones

I think they should just hire the best actor for the job, regardless of initial race of the character.

Which is why I've been pushing for an all Idris Elba comic universe for a while now. I guess, if you have to, you can have Helen Mirren or Viola Davis play a few characters too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the only problem anyone should have with Idris Elba as Heimdall is it's almost a waste of the actor when there's so many leading parts in the universe he should have.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I would like to see "Black character becomes white" stories as parodies of the Curious(black) and Punisher stories though.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/white-like-me/n9308?snl=1

Zzulu posted:

Out of the two female Captain Marvels, Marvel went with the white character for the film instead of the black character.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

double post

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Davros1 posted:

Out of the two female Captain Marvels, Marvel went with the white character for the film instead of the black character.

I'm sure it's just part of the long, slow, build to the 2020 summer tentpole Next Wave. Can't have The Captain be the only one with naming conflict.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
When are they going to do a female The Doctor?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gyges posted:

I think they should just hire the best actor for the job, regardless of initial race of the character.

Which is why I've been pushing for an all Idris Elba comic universe for a while now. I guess, if you have to, you can have Helen Mirren or Viola Davis play a few characters too.

They did that with Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin and people flipped poo poo despite him being perfect in the role.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah the only problem anyone should have with Idris Elba as Heimdall is it's almost a waste of the actor when there's so many leading parts in the universe he should have.

This. I liked him in Thor 1 but his almost robotic nature as a guardian/watchdog, the way he's sort of hard coded to obey whoever runs Asgard at the moment and has to work around those rules to do what's right despite being insanely powerful is interesting and would have been great to have him play a bigger role. But in The Dark World/etc. all of that is gone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/886193123675734018

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/886189206300655616

We've got some Top Men looking into it, don't you worry

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Who honestly gives a poo poo about doctor who at this point? The recent series was garbage, moffat is a hack, and the doctor could be dead and gay for all I know.

Anyone who still likes that crap needs to move on to better sci-fi shows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junior Jr. posted:

Who honestly gives a poo poo about doctor who at this point? The recent series was garbage, moffat is a hack, and the doctor could be dead and gay for all I know.

Anyone who still likes that crap needs to move on to better sci-fi shows.

Moffat is leaving as of this year, Christmas Special is his last.

Next year we get a new show runner and maybe it'll turn around. This last season wasn't terrible so much as flawed and mostly forgettable. A lot better than some others I could mention

Also there aren't that many scifi series hanging around anymore, at the moment.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder what "Nobody wants a TARDIS full of Bras" would be about.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just saw the Infinity War trailer at D23 guys. Looking REAL good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, Guardians 2 was crazy. Five stinger scenes!?!?
Eh I don't mind them, honestly I like that Marvel adds stinger scenes since it forces people to see how many people worked to make the movie, that's probably not the original intent, but just my own personal observation

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Teek posted:

Just saw the Infinity War trailer at D23 guys. Looking REAL good.

They have a real trailer for it?

Is this possibly the "trailer for something we haven't seen yet" at Comic-Con next week?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yes, it was a for real full trailer. A lot in there. I'm guessing they'll show it again at SDCC next week and then post it online afterwards.

They said they just finished the half-way point of the shoot. They also brought like 60% of the cast out on stage, which was still like 12 people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jimbot posted:

I wonder what "Nobody wants a TARDIS full of Bras" would be about.

A TARDIS full of girdles, guest staring Shatner.

Though one must wonder at just who doesn't want bras in a Tardis. Nudists?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
If they're really going with a female doctor, are they hiring a 20-something swimsuit model or some actress in her mid to late 40's?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Judi Dench is really bored and looking for a bathroom remodel.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

Maybe Judi Dench is really bored and looking for a bathroom remodel.

Judi Dench is going blind and is retiring from acting in any major role.

That means she could still be the Doctor.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Junior Jr. posted:

If they're really going with a female doctor, are they hiring a 20-something swimsuit model or some actress in her mid to late 40's?

I'm hoping for the 20 something swimsuit model, personally. I like the implication that young and attractive people can't be good enough actors to be in Doctor Who though

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

The two women actors that keep getting mentioned are Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Olivia Colman, so you're not far off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From BSS.

X-O posted:

Here's a description for the teaser for Infinity War shown at D23:

quote:

The footage began with the Guardians. “We are arriving,’ says Mantis as the Milano pulls into an uncertain territory. Quill pipes up, “Don’t forget this might be dangerous, so let’s put on our mean faces.” Suddenly a body slams into the front of the ship. It’s Thor! His face is all smushed against the glass (nice callback to doctor’s office in the the original film). The Guardians haul his unconscious body inside, lay him out on a table, and Mantis wakes him up. Thor comes out of it swinging, and the Guardians point their weapons. He looks around confused and asks what’s going on.

The scene transitions to Scarlet Witch, dodging an energy blast that slams into the truck behind her, cleaving it in half. Loki stands among ruins, holding the Tesseract cube. Riding on a school bus, Peter’s Spidey Senses (confirmed!) kick in, standing up the hairs on his arm. Iron Man is with the Guardians, gearing up for battle. “We have one advantage,” he says. “He’s coming to us.”

Thanos’ voice booms in. “Fun isn’t something one considers when balancing the universe, but this does put a smile on my face. Gamora is standing amongst wreckage, looking terrified, tears in her eyes. From here the shots get quick. A spacecraft crashes to the ground. Thanos warps into frame, walking through a portal. Doctor Strange is casting magic. Star-Lord is battling Thanos. That sick suit we saw at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming? Spider-Man flies into scene wearing it, a glinting metallic update of the classic suit. Bucky and Black Panther are leading armies.

Cap steps into frame, with a BEARD and looking like he’s seen some poo poo. Hulk Buster makes an appearance. Vision looks stressed and maybe like he’s stuck in a cage? Could just be framing though since Vis ain’t too fond of walls. Thanos grabs Thor by the top of the head, crushing his skull. Black Widow has bleach blonde hair. Thanos punches Iron Man right in the face, sending him flying. Wielding a partially assembled Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos reaches towards the sky and pulls down a moon, sending the fractured comets flying at our heroes. In rolls the title card, and scene.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know people are going to complain about these movies being overstuffed with characters, but really I'm all for it, hell make it six hours I have nothing else to do on Saturday mornings

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone snuck a picture of The Black Order before their official announcement/reveal; confirming the rumor that pretty much everyone knew already.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Someone snuck a picture of The Black Order before their official announcement/reveal; confirming the rumor that pretty much everyone knew already.

I'm sad that Supergiant's the one they cut, she had a killer design. Proxima Midnight looks kinda bleh too. Her blue skin really made her whole look pop. The others look pretty close to the comics, but I find something visually dull about the whole group together, Thanos included.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
MCU: Thanos in khakis.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wyoming posted:

MCU: Thanos in khakis.

H&M gonna have a clothing line tie-in I bet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
According to BSS, Black Dwarf's been renamed to Cull Obsidian for the movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's probably for the best

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, people probably would have confused Black Dwarf with Black Panther.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Do any of these guys have an interesting power or character hook or are they just space goons with space names

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Somebody made this to help identify characters on the DC movie logo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Do any of these guys have an interesting power or character hook or are they just space goons with space names

Going by their poses and visual aesthetic, from left to right: not-Hawkeye, reverse-Gamora, Thanos in khakis, pseudo-Mister Doctor, faux-Hulk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeimosRising posted:

One of them is basically The Hulk (super strength and indestructible skin)

One of them is super fast and has a magic pike. The pike can cut through any material and he can't die as long as he has the pike in his hands.

One of them is a super genius that can teleport, is psychic, and has hyper persuasion/quasi mind-control.

One of them has extreme reflexes, super strength, and a lance made out of a collapsed sun. The lance is basically light/plasma and can morph/teleport/be semi-fluid

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanos looks so boring design wise. Blah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Thanos looks so boring design wise. Blah.

Hilariously, he looks like Soviet Realist statuary.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
[/quote]

Sounds loving epic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Thanos and his costume look like they just combined The Rock and Vin Diesel from a Fast & Furious film and made him purple.

• Locked thread