Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cross-Section posted:

Here's a slew of character posters from The Last Jedi:

Man, Handmaid's Tale is really starting to deviate from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And one more:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Don't worry, folks. I got this:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Interesting, I wonder if the direction they are looking at means something. Everyone has their body pointing to the left (even if looking to the right) except the dark side character. If yes, what does it mean for Rey?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cross-Section posted:

And one more:

Theres my love.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And once again, Chewbacca gets screwed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have never understood the appeal of character posters. Can someone explain please?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sockser posted:

I have never understood the appeal of character posters. Can someone explain please?

Some people have a connection to certain characters in a franchise? They might call them their "favorite" or something similar. For example, Rey, she's my favorite character in this new sequel trilogy. Her character poster is dope and I wouldn't mind owning one.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Sockser posted:

It's one way around top billing.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

teagone posted:

Some people have a connection to certain characters in a franchise? They might call them their "favorite" or something similar. For example, Rey, she's my favorite character in this new sequel trilogy. Her character poster is dope and I wouldn't mind owning one.

While they really capture the essence of Rey's character, I still feel there is a lot of wasted space:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

And More posted:

While they really capture the essence of Rey's character, I still feel there is a lot of wasted space:

It's called negative space :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And More posted:

How's Dale Jr. doin', Bo?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Sockser posted:

If you're going to blanket the town in posters then it helps to have them vary to remain visually interesting but still be unified to not dilute the message. A set of characters is a pretty good solution to that, and you've also got an added drip feed of plot information that people find interesting.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you're going to blanket the town in posters then it helps to have them vary to remain visually interesting but still be unified to not dilute the message. A set of characters is a pretty good solution to that, and you've also got an added drip feed of plot information that people find interesting.

Also, less the case with Star Wars, but if you've got a celebrity cast it's a good way 2 advertise that not only is Chris Rock in the movie, but Kevin James, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and David Spade too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hat Thoughts posted:

Also, less the case with Star Wars, but if you've got a celebrity cast it's a good way 2 advertise that not only is Chris Rock in the movie, but Kevin James, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and David Spade too.

Great Lakes Avengers off to a good start, I srr.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Character posters are a good way to show off an ensemble cast and give people a good idea about the tone of a film through how the characters are presented and also in general what kind of movie it is by what sort of characters it has. And if the film is from some series or based on an existing franchise it gives you an opportunity to go "Hey fans of original this film has got [CHARACTER] in it!"

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 17, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Come on, poster people. The actual sign is pretty iconic.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just got back from Baby Driver, glad to see the Simon & Garfunkel Expanded Universe is going places.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Seems like this poster's designers really liked Get Out's tag-line.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Marvel Inhumans: A Marvel Television Series looking pretty good.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Great Lakes Avengers off to a good start, I srr.

100% would

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Come on, poster people. The actual sign is pretty iconic.

a horror movie where the haunted doll looks exactly like that would be way more interesting

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Another Baby Driver poster I saw while out and about today. I really want to see this movie.

Y'know, you probably could shoot this doll in a way that makes it look creepy, but nah, way easier to replace it with one that looks like butt. A real spoopy butt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seshoho Cian posted:

a horror movie where the haunted doll looks exactly like that would be way more interesting

It would require more effort than just making a spoopy doll.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
new Gundam movie coming out

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A celebration of the man George Romero, thanks for all the good times.

ruddiger posted:

This poster is currently hanging in my living room. :witch:

Best Romero movie by far.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 17, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of Baby Driver, holy poo poo was that movie overrated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kiimo posted:

Speaking of Baby Driver, holy poo poo was that movie overrated.
It was pretty alright, but it was by no means Edgar Wright’s best like I’ve seen some people say. Like, is this the only Edgar Wright movie you’ve seen or what?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It seems like a movie that would do nothing for me since I haven't watched any of those 70s car chase movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It was pretty alright, but it was by no means Edgar Wright’s best like I’ve seen some people say. Like, is this the only Edgar Wright movie you’ve seen or what?

It's Edgar Wright's best movie if you don't actually like Edgar Wright's movies. It's an amazing car movie if you haven't seen many car movies. It's really got it all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like a movie that would do nothing for me since I haven't watched any of those 70s car chase movies.

If anything you'd be better off

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

morestuff posted:

If anything you'd be better off

ya

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It didn't revolutionise the way we look at film, but it's probably going to be one of the year's best Crime Films with a hell of a lot of style.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

At the very least, the sound design and editing were top notch, and Jamie Foxx and Jon Hamm put in great performances.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It didn't revolutionise the way we look at film, but it's probably going to be one of the year's best Crime Films with a hell of a lot of style.

What other crime films are getting a theatrical showing, assuming the bar isn't some Randy Orton WWE release? Free Fire was better and I wouldn't bet against Soderbergh.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not a car guy or a style over substance guy so maybe it wasn't for me. Just seemed like the story left a ton to be desired. Like spending all that time on the tapes for ultimately no reason.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

What other crime films are getting a theatrical showing, assuming the bar isn't some Randy Orton WWE release? Free Fire was better and I wouldn't bet against Soderbergh.

That Taylor Sheridan film, Wind River, will almost certainly be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

That Taylor Sheridan film, Wind River, will almost certainly be better.

Ooh, hadn't heard about that. Yeah, that'll likely be better too.

The poster, since this is the movie poster thread: