Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly at this point I wouldn't mind Estinien being a recurring character in the DRG storyline and barely/never touching the MSQ.

don't take one of the only good characters in the game away from the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is an Honest Tank?

One who single pulls and never enters DPS stance. Not nearly as bad as an honest healer in terms of extending dungeons though.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 16, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

dogsicle posted:

don't take one of the only good characters in the game away from the rest of us

It's mostly just that, based on where he is now as of the drg questline, it feels like wrapping him up in another MSQ-style adventure would undo his character development. The place he "belongs" is doing smallscale stuff. That's just my personal read on him though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

One who single pulls and never enters DPS stance. Not nearly as bad as an honest healer in terms to extending dungeons though.

Mord plays a healer, right? Wondering if the tank did what they had to so the party would survive. :laugh:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

One who single pulls and never enters DPS stance. Not nearly as bad as an honest healer in terms of extending dungeons though.

I dunno, an honest tank in Fist can really make things take forever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's mostly just that, based on where he is now as of the drg questline, it feels like wrapping him up in another MSQ-style adventure would undo his character development. The place he "belongs" is doing smallscale stuff. That's just my personal read on him though.

Given what I've heard about the DRG/MSQ questline fuckery between ARR and HW, I can see there being legitimate worry about constantly bringing him back in. It's a shame there aren't more good side characters to weave into the MSQ though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The term is respectful tank, unless he only uses flash spam I guess.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ImpAtom posted:

What the hell is an Honest Tank?

who the hell knows

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

dogsicle posted:

Given what I've heard about the DRG/MSQ questline fuckery between ARR and HW, I can see there being legitimate worry about constantly bringing him back in. It's a shame there aren't more good side characters to weave into the MSQ though.

I think in trying to keep the timeline consistent if you do content between expansions in the 'wrong order' is a fool's errand. Hell, the CUL 50 quest doesn't even make sense if you do it at the end of 2.55.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I am kind of surprised Oboro didn't get much more than a blink-and-you'll miss it cameo in the SB MSQ, seemed like an obvious one. Karasu could totally work in a Hildebrand quest though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
breaking news man who refused to ever touch cleric stance complains about conservative play in dungeon

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

who the hell knows

Wears tank gear, uses tank stance

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Minrad posted:

The actual lore for it owns, but the dungeon itself is bad.

I thought it was a really cool touch that when you go back to the quest NPC he mentions that the second boss was his hosed up frozen zombie son.

That's bleak as hell! Heavensward!

Edit: Wow, I didn't even read the journal pages until now, outside the game. Dusk Vigil is full of macabre surprises.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 16, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Do we know when shirogane is opening up?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

I thought it was a really cool touch that when you go back to the quest NPC he mentions that the second boss was his hosed up frozen zombie son.

That's bleak as hell! Heavensward!

I wish that they'd swapped the second and last boss, honestly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Do we know when shirogane is opening up?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Even then, it's likely to be 4.1x rather than straight up 4.1

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Any advice for maximizing chances to get a plot?

I'm on Gilgamesh so it's probably a pipe dream, but a catgirl can dream.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
we're never getting new housing

abandon hope

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amazeballs posted:

Any advice for maximizing chances to get a plot?

I'm on Gilgamesh so it's probably a pipe dream, but a catgirl can dream.

Presumably the only thing you'll be able to do is log out as absolutely close as possible to the plot you want before server maint and then be prepared to log on as soon as it comes up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

They already brought in Y'mhitra once. I can see them giving her a bigger role whenever Summoner gets their day in the sun, presumably whenever primals become a big deal again.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I kinda want my own house but I'm poor and not that dedicated so I might just continue to live out of my lovely apartment in Gridania until the elementals get grumpy and reclaim the area for the trees or whatever the gently caress motivates them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Allarion posted:

They already brought in Y'mhitra once. I can see them giving her a bigger role whenever Summoner gets their day in the sun, presumably whenever primals become a big deal again.

She was there for so little time I forgot completely. Whether they make completely new characters or bother to develop existing ones, I think they need to thread them through a majority of an MSQ cycle like with Estinien, Alph, Ysayle, and Haurchefaunt. Also they should avoid killing them at the end next time.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I'm still mad about summoner's physick being worthless. Saying summoners can't have a good heal because that's for red mages only is crazy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

LordHippoman posted:

Is there somewhere special I'm supposed to receive the 1,000,000 gil for leveling to 30 on one of the Preferred Servers?

I rolled a character on Mateus during the trial, and once I bought the game I had 45 days, so I think the 15 free days went through, but I haven't seen anything of the gil. Unless those Aetheryte fees are REALLY loading up behind my back.

Dusk Vigil was also kind of an "eh" first dungeon for Heavensward, I think. The first third or so drags on way too long.

I thought only New servers got the million gil bonus, and Preferred just got the exp bonus/free game time?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

macfam posted:

I'm still mad about summoner's physick being worthless. Saying summoners can't have a good heal because that's for red mages only is crazy.

At the very least Physick should just transform into Sustain when you equip the SMN job crystal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Apparently frozen zombie guy was around for several quests as an alive non-frozen guy back in 1.0, when that entire zone was present as a non-frozen zone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

At the very least Physick should just transform into Sustain when you equip the SMN job crystal.

Right, Summoners never actually had a good heal, they just had a legacy button they never pressed. Make Physick a 1500 potency heal that only works on pets or something.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

Presumably the only thing you'll be able to do is log out as absolutely close as possible to the plot you want before server maint and then be prepared to log on as soon as it comes up.

Makes sense. I'll give it a shot but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Anyway, I beat Stormblood a few days ago and now I'm working on SCH. PvP owns. I have no idea what it was like before 4.0 but I am really enjoying myself in Shatter (the only queue that pops for me).

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I thought only New servers got the million gil bonus, and Preferred just got the exp bonus/free game time?

Oh, yeah, that would be why. Thanks, missed that.

Had a really memorable first Ravana run, had to LB3 as a Healer, and we ended with just one DPS alive. Definitely a huge step up from Leviathan/Ramuh. I tried him a second time afterwards and it went much more smoothly, but I'm glad he put up a fight. Trying to tell which side is his back is kind of hell, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macfam posted:

Eh, I can understand that. Red Mage thematically is white magic + black magic but the white magic element is fairly limited. If Summoner had a good cure + raise it would kind of thematically tread on the same ground. Though people are right that they should have something that heals pets at minimum.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I can understand that. Red Mage thematically is white magic + black magic but the white magic element is fairly limited. If Summoner had a good cure + raise it would kind of thematically tread on the same ground. Though people are right that they should have something that heals pets at minimum.

Or they just shouldn't have the button at all if it's going to suck. Have it turn into Dreadwyrm Trance or something if you won't get rid of it.

(Being able to heal pets decently is important for solo Summoner, though.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wears tank gear, uses tank stance

HOW loving DARE THEY :argh:

I don't care if it does poo poo DPS and you have to JOHN loving MADDEN every 60 seconds, the heated shot animations on MCH are baller as hell.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ImpAtom posted:

I mostly find it hilarious from the balance perspective. Even if Summoners didn't have a terrible heal, Red Mages have on-demand swiftcasting through their dualcast mechanic. I'd like BLM to have a raise of some sort at least for the utility perspective, but there is the concern that BLM never runs out of MP, whereas the other two can and have to manage their MP accordingly as a battle wears on.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Since BLMs don't need Lucid Dreaming for mana, they DO effectively have an extra slot to use for Apocatastasis or Erase or something. And of course they can Mana Shift on cooldown at no real cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Since BLMs don't need Lucid Dreaming for mana, they DO effectively have an extra slot to use for Apocatastasis or Erase or something. And of course they can Mana Shift on cooldown at no real cost.

BLMs really need lucid dreaming for a threat drop during their opener though. I mean, unless they want to tank for a bit after foul.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
What is the deal with the PvP vendor that has the title of <Materia Provisioner> but doesn't actually sell any materia? Is that a legacy thing? From what I can tell my only options are glamour armors / weapons?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amazeballs posted:

What is the deal with the PvP vendor that has the title of <Materia Provisioner> but doesn't actually sell any materia? Is that a legacy thing? From what I can tell my only options are glamour armors / weapons?

They used to. PVP used to have more distinctive stats and stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hobbesmaster posted:

BLMs really need lucid dreaming for a threat drop during their opener though. I mean, unless they want to tank for a bit after foul.

is Diversion not enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I use Lucid and Diversion both, but I want to say that usually popping Diversion ahead of the octo-FireIV opener is enough to keep me safe and the Lucid feels like overkill. But what if this is a trap to get me to inadvertently admit my dps is bad...?