Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

Just a quick reminder, Sony tried to make a cinematic universe around the Spider-Man lore...and it ended quickly before it even began.

They are still doing that. There is a Venom movie coming out next year starring Tom Hardy. There is talk of using Black cat and Silver sable in future movies. Not sure if the sinister six idea is still alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wandle Cax posted:

They are still doing that. There is a Venom movie coming out next year starring Tom Hardy. There is talk of using Black cat and Silver sable in future movies. Not sure if the sinister six idea is still alive

Coincidentally, these rumors just hit the net today

quote:

Ruben Flescher's VENOM

Reporter Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) becomes Venom after bonding with a symbiotic "suit" developed by OsCorp. Brock's wife Ann Wyeing is featured. The main villain is Cletus Kassady / Carnage. The movie will be rated R.

Gina Prince-Bythewood's SILVER & BLACK

Silver Sable is hired by the United States government to locate Black Cat, who has stolen Information on a supersoldier serum developed by the Robot Master on behalf of Norman Osborn. Upon learning that the Robot Master murdered her father, Silver Sable joins forces with Black Cat to fight him and his enforcers, the Scorpion and the Tarantula. Jessica Drew / Spider-Woman, Kraven, Chamaleon, Amos Fortune and Charles Standish are also featured. Sets up an all-female team-up movie also featuring Charlotte Witter / Stunner, Cassie St. Commons / Dusk and Sarah Ehret / Jackpot. Michael Mando reportedly playing the Scorpion to establish a "soft continuity" with SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING and the MCU. The movie will be rated PG-13.

There are also plans for Mysterio and a spin-off about Kraven.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I mean, selling the rights back to Marvel at this point would definitely be more profitable than making a new FF movie, if whatever garbage piece of poo poo came out recently is any indication

They probably know they're sitting on a shitload of money since Dr Doom is worth like a phase of marvel movies along with Annhilus/Galactus being worth at the least a GotG movie or two. Hoping to wait Disney out while they burn through Thanos and maybe try to come up with a good Kang story that isn't mind boggling.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Marvel should do everything possible to get FF back just to have Dr. Doom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Amusingly, in the most recent retelling of Darkseid origin turns out Darkseid used to be a farmer named Uxas who sow distrust among the old gods, prompting them to destroy each other.

Highfather was his brother and a herder named Izaya before receiving the powers of a dying god so he could challenge his brother.

I'm pretty sure the Uxas stuff is from the same guy that created Thanos, for what it's worth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm pretty sure the Uxas stuff is from the same guy that created Thanos, for what it's worth.

According to Wikipedia, the new origin was written by Greg Pak and the old one was by Kirby. Thanos on the other hand was created by Jim Starlin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to Wikipedia, the new origin was written by Greg Pak and the old one was by Kirby. Thanos on the other hand was created by Jim Starlin.

All this time I was thinking it had originated in Starlin's Death Of The New Gods.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

This is the inevitable main course of all these anyway.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume that Thanos is a leftist, proposing even the mildest criticism of liberalism (like "I don't want my family to die in the loving mines") - who, once he gains even a modicum of power, becomes a totalitarian(!!!) because it's the end of history and you gotta be gradual.

His inevitable death at the hands of the Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue will be presented as tragic but necessary.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Coincidentally, these rumors just hit the net today

i'm up for any movie with a character named The Robot Master

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Mark Ruffalo says there won't be a solo Hulk movie.

quote:

I want to just make one thing perfectly clear today: A standalone ‘Hulk’ movie will never happen,” confirmed Ruffalo. “Universal has the rights, and for some reason, they don’t know how to play well with Marvel. And, they don’t want to make money.”

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/hulk-mark-ruffalo-avengers-infinity-war-disney-d23-1202496785/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

Marvel should do everything possible to get FF back just to have Dr. Doom.

The sad thing is that Fox has managed to gently caress up Doom in every single one of their Fantastic Four movies. How do you get to be that incompetent?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wait Marvel has the rights to use the character but not in his own film? Weird.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pretty major possible spoilers, but apparently Thanos has a second costume in the movie that looks very different from his reveal costume. In a clip that looks like it's from near the end of the movie he has a helmet, some very ornate golden armor, and a still incomplete Infinity Gauntlet that matches the armor, which he uses to apparently kill Thor by crushing his head.

Not quite. (Major spoilers for Infinity War obviously, and very minor spoilers for Spiderman: Homecoming)Here's a description of the full clip from Gizmodo. Apparently they took people's cellphones away before it so it's unlikely to be leaked.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 16, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't think they are going to keep escalating. Feige has said that Infinity War will be the last "big" MCU movie for a long time. The buzzwords/format going forward is "Unexpected team-ups and intimate character stories."

A brief review of cosmic level threats in Marvel comics indicates that there should really be a series in which various heroes team up and fight a cosmic entity known as Hyperbole whose job it is to empower threats to the entire universe to continually assault Earth.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Also a brief glace at the Marvel wiki reveals that Thanos is Eternals royalty, but was also a Deviant, which is their equivalent of a human mutant. It makes him more closely resemble a Deviant, who are the enemies of the Eternals, but are evidently not just mutant Eternals.

Now you know that, I guess.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 16, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Infinity War, Infinity Ward 🤔

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vishass posted:

They probably know they're sitting on a shitload of money since Dr Doom is worth like a phase of marvel movies along with Annhilus/Galactus being worth at the least a GotG movie or two. Hoping to wait Disney out while they burn through Thanos and maybe try to come up with a good Kang story that isn't mind boggling.
Fox also has the rights to Kang

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume that Thanos is a leftist, proposing even the mildest criticism of liberalism (like "I don't want my family to die in the loving mines") - who, once he gains even a modicum of power, becomes a totalitarian(!!!) because it's the end of history and you gotta be gradual.

His inevitable death at the hands of the Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue will be presented as tragic but necessary.

I'm not sure that the films will do with him, but nihilists like comics Thanos bump this up a level; they threaten the dominant order by rejecting the notion that its ideological preoccupations matter at all and open up the entire range of existential possibility. This rejection of the dominant ideology is typically imagined as inevitably resulting in a power mad tyrant as above, but one who seeks to impose either utter annihilation or an inescapable dystopia which is equivalent to eternal damnation.

It isn't that different from what you're suggesting. It's just that rather than a specific opposing ideology, the very possibility of an alternative is summarized as nihilism threatening to push reality over an event horizon into the abyss.

In comics, this is usually redeemable because the whole affair often ends up being too uneven and quirky to be as stiflingly dull as this might suggest.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 16, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

RatHat posted:

Not quite. (Major spoilers for Infinity War obviously, and very minor spoilers for Spiderman: Homecoming)Here's a description of the full clip from Gizmodo. Apparently they took people's cellphones away before it so it's unlikely to be leaked.

Yeah, he just picks him up. There was no crushing. They didn't take the phones per se, they made us all put them in sealed bags which couldn't be re-opened until the panel was over. I was sitting in the second row in the center section. Was about 25 feet from all the actors as they came out from backstage. Pretty awesome. Oprah was also awesome, doing her give away thing with a Wrinkle in Time poster. Seth Rogen also came out from the back stage green room to sit with us commoners for some reason. Supporting Lion King I guess? Bob Iger and John Lasseter also did the same.

Teek fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 16, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure the only way Fox gives the Fantastic Four rights to Disney/Marvel Studios is if Fox gets, like, Monday Night Football or something else huge.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
More like infinity fart

hahahahahhahahahahaahahaaaa hahahah

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Uh there have already been two Hulk movies though. One of which is 100% official canon with the MCU.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So are we all agreed Uncle Ben was Joe Pesci?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MonsieurChoc posted:

So are we all agreed Uncle Ben was Joe Pesci?

Gunned down by two yutes. :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr President posted:

Uh there have already been two Hulk movies though. One of which is 100% official canon with the MCU.

That was before Disney.

You need to remember, Disney and Marvel didn't be a thing until after the first two movies. Iron man 2 was the beginning of the Disney Marvel era, for good and ill.

Marvel Studios at that point were willing to co-produce movies with any studio they could. In theory we could have seen Fox-Marvel movies or Sony-Marvel movies.

Once Disney got them, their ability to co-produce vanished.

The way the Incredible Hulk was made was very different compared to the way Spider-Man Homecoming was made.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's weird seeing even ruffalo frame other studios who want to keep a hold on the movie rights they legally own from sales that more-or-less saved 90s marvel from going bankrupt as big ol meanies who don't play nice and hate money

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's amazing that they finally have a guy who is the perfect Bruce Banner, yet don't want to do a solo movie with him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know, with how much Guardians of the Galaxy revolved around Thanos's daughters dealing with their lovely upbringing, Infinity War would be the perfect chance to portray Thanos as a helicopter parent...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Timby posted:

Gunned down by two yutes. :(

Two h-what?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It's amazing that they finally have a guy who is the perfect Bruce Banner, yet don't want to do a solo movie with him.

Ruffalo is known in Hollywood to be a pain in the rear end to work with.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cythereal posted:

what is it with hulks?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cythereal posted:

Big whoop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

K. Waste posted:

what is it with hulks?

Method acting

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

it's weird seeing even ruffalo frame other studios who want to keep a hold on the movie rights they legally own from sales that more-or-less saved 90s marvel from going bankrupt as big ol meanies who don't play nice and hate money

The terms are even still the same as back then. Universal just doesn't want to see Disney get even richer from the merchandising.

Like, things aren't gonna get less favorable for Universal, they barely have to even have marketing budgeted for a solo Hulk outing.

This is entirely Universal not wanting Disney's obscene pile of cash getting bigger on their own account. Which is fair.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I think there's a similar logic to why Fox won't sell Disney back the rights to Fantastic Four. Back when Fant4stic came out, someone here pointed out that nobody wants to be that exectutive to sell Disney back the rights to F4 and then see them make all the money in the world.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And it's not like Universal is in Sony's position, even while they're floundering on their Dark Universe poo poo. These past years they've been more than holding their own with Fast and Furious, Jurassic World, and all the animated stuff.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, didn't Universal have like 3 or 4 billion dollar films the year Jurassic World came out?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gyges posted:

The sad thing is that Fox has managed to gently caress up Doom in every single one of their Fantastic Four movies. How do you get to be that incompetent?

Doom really only works as a campy, goofy villain. Comic readers are always posting these panels of him making pseudo meta jokes about his own dialogue quirks, the concept of an evil king, being named "Doom", etc. The temptation is to make him serious and "badass" but it doesn't work because the concept is too camp - his motivation is his obsession with his college roomie, he builds robots of himself to watch them die, lives in a gothic castle and acts like a Hammer villain. A bunch of people are going to go off about how badass he is cause he wore his wife's skin or something and he's so smart and he's also a wizard and and but none of that is badass, it's insanely goofy. Which is good, but it's not going to make the screen anytime soon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, didn't Universal have like 3 or 4 billion dollar films the year Jurassic World came out?

Yeah they had Jurassic World ($1.67b), Furious 7 ($1.5b) and Minions ($1.16b).

Although apart from The Fate of the Furious this year those are the only billion dollar films they've had since Jurassic Park back in '93.

Edit: they've also had a whole bunch of terrible flops recently like The Mummy, The Great Wall, Warcraft, The Huntsman: Winter's War, Jem and the Holograms, Steve Jobs, etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 16, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Doom really only works as a campy, goofy villain. Comic readers are always posting these panels of him making pseudo meta jokes about his own dialogue quirks, the concept of an evil king, being named "Doom", etc. The temptation is to make him serious and "badass" but it doesn't work because the concept is too camp - his motivation is his obsession with his college roomie, he builds robots of himself to watch them die, lives in a gothic castle and acts like a Hammer villain. A bunch of people are going to go off about how badass he is cause he wore his wife's skin or something and he's so smart and he's also a wizard and and but none of that is badass, it's insanely goofy. Which is good, but it's not going to make the screen anytime soon.

marvel studios made Ego The Living Planet spend 90% of his screentime as just a normal-rear end looking dude and people still think they'd do doom or galactus exactly how the comics do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can Marvel pull some bullshit where they say that since Doom 2099 was technically Christoph/a Doom-Bot/whatever they can use Doom 2099 because his character/story/whatever is so disconnected from the Fantastic Four? Doom 2099 had such an emphasis on the cyberspace technocrat stuff he'd actually fit into how a lot of the current MCU works really well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2017

• Locked thread