Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuturePastNow posted:

With enough power, it will disintegrate objects, a process known as the rapid nadion effect.

I've always liked how when a phaser vaporizes something, there's no vapor. If you think about it, if you disintegrate a person, there should be well over a hundred pounds of gaseous meat blown forcefully out into the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Timby posted:

From Discovery, Klingons L'Rell and T'Kuvma:

Maybe Klingons have such outrageous hair to cover up their football heads

#dontshavetheklingons

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's always possible that some gun stunners are just a totally different device built into the same gun. Makes a lot more sense that way, to be honest.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I've always liked how when a phaser vaporizes something, there's no vapor. If you think about it, if you disintegrate a person, there should be well over a hundred pounds of gaseous meat blown forcefully out into the room.

I vaguely remember an analysis somebody wrote on Usenet years ago about what would happen if you actually fired a hand-held phaser and disintegrated something and they concluded that the object being disintegrated would emit so much gamma and x-ray radiation that it would instantly kill everyone nearby, even if you somehow suppressed the nuclear bomb of converting, say, an average adult humanoid into energy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

shadok posted:

I vaguely remember an analysis somebody wrote on Usenet years ago about what would happen if you actually fired a hand-held phaser and disintegrated something and they concluded that the object being disintegrated would emit so much gamma and x-ray radiation that it would instantly kill everyone nearby, even if you somehow suppressed the nuclear bomb of converting, say, an average adult humanoid into energy.

Maybe they've found a reaction that displaces all of the energy into subspace.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The "disruptor" setting is just a very tiny transporter that just doesn't bother to rematerialize anything after shifting it into subspace.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

8one6 posted:

The "disruptor" setting is just a very tiny transporter that just doesn't bother to rematerialize anything after shifting it into subspace.

If there's air in realspace is there air in subspace? I like the idea that subspace is just littered with corpses and there's giant squid aliens there that have no clue what the gently caress's going on

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

If there's air in realspace is there air in subspace? I like the idea that subspace is just littered with corpses and there's giant squid aliens there that have no clue what the gently caress's going on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Giant squid alien in subspace takes his family out for a picnic on a world. Then a battle from the Dominion War takes place there.

"Why does this keep happening? Where are they all coming from?"
"It's those wormhole fuckers Jerry, I know it."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Man, for all the poo poo Barclay gets, he ends up being pretty brave, because If I were him, I'd never take the transporter again after something like that happened.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WampaLord posted:

Man, for all the poo poo Barclay gets, he ends up being pretty brave, because If I were him, I'd never take the transporter again after something like that happened.

That poo poo probably also gave him a free pass on every other neurotic thing he did for at least the next year. Barclay likely got a lot of mileage out of "...but that's what you said about the things in the transporter beam..."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Powered Descent posted:

ToS phasers were rad because the kill setting just enveloped the dude and made him plink out of existence.

TNG looked more painful, like sub-atomic fire slowly enveloping your body. Except, apparently, if you're a spine-slug, then your body takes several moments to slowly decompose and then violently explode.

Then again, the best phaser deaths are the ones that look like a glancing blow or non-lethal arm shot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Captain Terrell's death is peak phaser

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Or as the actor put it: "I died so the white man could live"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UNNeBZSoM&t=100s

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Terrell's death would have been even better had the phaser malfunctioned and he was exploded into a thousand pieces in front of everybody.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Yet to be topped.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Yet to be topped.

TNG did explode a guy's head in Conspiracy. But that was almost corny whereas Terrell's death is nightmarish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

ToS phasers were rad because the kill setting just enveloped the dude and made him plink out of existence.

TNG looked more painful, like sub-atomic fire slowly enveloping your body. Except, apparently, if you're a spine-slug, then your body takes several moments to slowly decompose and then violently explode.

Then again, the best phaser deaths are the ones that look like a glancing blow or non-lethal arm shot.

Please tell me someone has that gif of the deaf guy's translators being disintegrated in stages from early TNG, that was such a :stonk: moment when I was a kid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

TNG did explode a guy's head in Conspiracy. But that was almost corny whereas Terrell's death is nightmarish.

Yeah, I wince every time Terrell dies, most TNG and other TV deaths are just funny.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Terrell's death isn't much better than the lady who gets hit with "the most lethal weapon" Varon-T disruptor in The Most Toys. Dude could've saved himself some money on those disruptors and just bought himself a bunch of 23rd century Starfleet phasers from a military surplus store.

The sound they make is really something too. There's a kick there which most other Trek weapon effects don't have.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best phaser death is from Conspiracy, when Riker and Picard made that dude's loving head explode and then when an alien melted out of his upper body they loving melted that too

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tighclops posted:

The best phaser death is from Conspiracy, when Riker and Picard made that dude's loving head explode and then when an alien melted out of his upper body they loving melted that too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Delsaber posted:

The sound they make is really something too. There's a kick there which most other Trek weapon effects don't have.

Trek sound effects in general got lamer and lamer as the series ticked by. Voyager's sound effects are largely hot garbage, but even DS9 wasn't great in this regard.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tighclops posted:

That freaked me out because I'd never watched the original series so I had no idea phasers could disintegrate you. I thought the "kill" setting just stopped your heart or something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Delsaber posted:

Terrell's death isn't much better than the lady who gets hit with "the most lethal weapon" Varon-T disruptor in The Most Toys. Dude could've saved himself some money on those disruptors and just bought himself a bunch of 23rd century Starfleet phasers from a military surplus store.

Yeah both the hand and ship phasers in WoK have this almost vicious, piercing burst in the sound effect, they weren't loving around. When TNG rolled around they had the idea of the phaser as a tool that could also be a weapon, hence the dustbuster shape and dozens of settings.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Star Trek sub on Reddit has been tearing itself apart over Discovery. Things seem more level-headed here.

I have a feeling that Discovery is going to either be hailed as the next great Star Trek show, or end up on one of those 'Worst Decisions Ever Made In Television' lists. It already seems to be polarizing fans.

I just watched the trailer (i don't really follow entertainment news so i didn't even know that this existed before 5 minutes ago), it looks like another overdramatised outing. Star Trek is supposed to be quaint and nerdy, not all lensflares and intense dialogue, it just doesn't work if it's like that. Star Trek is good if you take some really pretty decent actors, force them to make the best of dumb dialogue and absurd situations, and add some jokes and stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Trek sound effects in general got lamer and lamer as the series ticked by. Voyager's sound effects are largely hot garbage, but even DS9 wasn't great in this regard.

The props got lamer, too. I think it culminated with Nemesis, where the tricorder was literally a Palm Pilot with some greebles on it, because gently caress you John Eaves.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Timby posted:

The props got lamer, too. I think it culminated with Nemesis, where the tricorder was literally a Palm Pilot with some greebles on it, because gently caress you John Eaves.

At least it wasn't a lady's razor with poo poo glued to it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Timby posted:

It's sad when a tongue-in-cheek version of 2017 from Parks and Rec has cooler, more futuristic-feeling devices than a Star Trek film.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mister Kingdom posted:

At least it wasn't a lady's razor with poo poo glued to it.

How do you think Qui-gon got the blood sample, smartass?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My four year olds call Star Trek "a boring daddy show" which honestly isn't too far off the mark.

I'm gonna say don't worry too much on that front. I did the exact same thing with my Dad at age 4. Come my sixth birthday it was nothing but Star Trek poo poo that I wanted and I'd fallen deep into the rabbit hole.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Show them Star Trek The Animated Series.

I dunno, I liked it as a kid. Though I think I only watched the episode with the space devil and Spock becoming a wizard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Picard goes for the standard body shot but Riker doesn't have time for that poo poo

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Those car alarm phasers looked terrible.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Those car alarm phasers looked terrible.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It wasn't a bad show then! It wasn't!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I've probably mentioned this before, but someone modded the Final Frontier/Undiscovered Country assault phaser into Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4. It's a ton of fun to use and has all the expected badass effects intact, though it's a little tricky sometimes due to the lack of ironsights on the prop.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56974/
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12987/

Also the Giant Bomb guys finally did their Bridge Crew run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5BLSiyARs

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Delsaber posted:

Also the Giant Bomb guys finally did their Bridge Crew run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5BLSiyARs
The first mission is mostly them not understanding how the game works, but then they do the Kobayashi Maru scenario and it's pretty great.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/886755779419787264

I am very sad about this. Martin Landau had a long and distinguished career but I'm a child of the 1970s and my childhood was all about Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who and Space: 1999. To me he'll always be John Koenig, commander of Moonbase Alpha. He was a lifelong friend of Leonard Nimoy - they were often up for the same roles - and Landau was offered the role of Mr. Spock but turned it down. When Nimoy passed away, Landau wrote a short remembrance in Time Magazine. I will miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of this was to accomodate the various cool and innovative things people on TOS did with the phasers. Which to some extent is good, like Chekov shooting a rock with his phaser to make it glow and produce heat is way cooler than "oh I will build a fire," even if nowadays it would be the latter with lovingly gritty survival-show photography.

But sometimes that poo poo was goofy. Remember when the ship's phasers were used? On a planet? ON STUN?

Also a capability that would have come in handy so many times in other episodes.

But that episode also involved a mafia planet of perfect mimics without a native culture of their own who then constructed one entirely out of a book on the Chicago mobsters that someone left there, and Kirk coming in as the biggest badass kingpin of them all and taking over the planet in the name of the Federation in exchange for a hefty cut of GDP, so you could just chalk the whole thing up to an invention by James Kirk, biggest tall tale teller in the quadrant.

E: Sort of like Paris' "one time in the Delta Quadrant I revolutionized physics by going infinite speed, but then I turned into a salamander and hosed Janeway and salamander babies came out and one of the babies looked at me, and then we all swore never to reveal the secret of infinite speed, wish I could tell you how I did it, oh about me being a newt well I got better" story :rolleyes:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 17, 2017