Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

It seems like a lot of these crazy people threaten suicide, does that work?

No, that usually ends the relationship too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Either it works and the other person is stuck in misery forever, or it doesn't work and it turns out it was just bluffing. No middle ground.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

suicide rates continue to rise in the US, clearly it's working.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

yeah it usually works... for a while

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh you mean does "threatening" suicide work.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Haifisch posted:

30/m with 29/f for 2 years - Am I crazy for thinking her reaction to me being late with the pizza is massively out of proportion?

:sever:

This is textbook emotional abuse more or less (and maybe borderline personality disorder), it really reminds me of my ex, who once freaked out at me so bad for not wanting to drive from the Portland suburbs to SE Portland to buy her a second birthday cake from a chinese bakery that she held me at sword-point using a replica of Sting from Lord of the Rings. Anyway she eventually did me the huge favor of mostly breaking up with me but also left it in that weird limbo where we weren't TOTALLY broken up, like this girl did, and I had to officially end it by telling her to get hosed and take her name off our lease. That should be this guy's next move.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Pick posted:

are you gonna try that with hugh

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
"I'm going to kill myself if we can't go back to our tepid friendship that you don't care much about and that makes me miserable because what we had is definitely worth dying for."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
"sure ok. you want another rockstar?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fortis posted:

Portland

Everything I hear about this place is beyond parody.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Inescapable Duck posted:

Everything I hear about this place is beyond parody.

To be fair to Portland, neither of us were natives and she would have pulled this poo poo regardless of where we lived at the time.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

it really reminds me of my ex, who once freaked out at me so bad for not wanting to drive from the Portland suburbs to SE Portland to buy her a second birthday cake from a chinese bakery that she held me at sword-point using a replica of Sting from Lord of the Rings

I feel like there are too many unnecessary details, here, yet I am glad I read all of them.

Especially the last one

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [29M] wife [27F] of 4 years wants to open a bakery, but I don't know how to tell her I think it's a bad idea

quote:

My wife has always loved baking, ever since we first moved in together six years ago she always has something in the oven, and she's definitely good at it. Her friend got married a month ago and my wife made the cake, it was a huge hit and everyone said how much they loved it. That made her really happy and I was very proud of her, the cake was chocolate with like a raspberry filling and it was delicious. A few days ago she brought up to me that she wants to start her own bakery, and went on about what she'd put on the menu and how she'd decorate the store and what she'd name it, so on and so forth. I just let her talk, because it all does sound like a good idea, but I didn't realize she was serious about wanting to do it NOW, I guess I thought it was more of a hypothetical and if it ever did happen it wouldn't be for a long time.

Well this morning my wife brings it up again, and asks me how I felt about going to the bank on Monday and talking to someone about getting a loan to start her bakery. I was caught off guard, and I just told her we'd talk about it later; she seemed fine with that response and went to work. I hope I don't sound like an rear end in a top hat, but I think right now it's a terrible idea. We both still have student loans to pay off, we don't have a crazy amount of debt but we do still have more than I'm comfortable with if we were going to start a business, and we don't have much in savings. And we're not poor, but we're also not rich; I'm a teacher and my wife is a receptionist.

I also think she's jumping into it way too quickly; I feel like one wedding isn't enough to gauge how successful an actual bakery would be. I'm also concerned about whether there'd even be a demand for a bakery where we live; there aren't many I can think of off the top of my head but I don't know how that works I guess. And this is going to definitely make me sound like an rear end in a top hat, but my wife is not the most savvy person. She is wonderful and I love her to death but she can be naive, and is kind of impulsive in general. If her baking skills were the only thing in question here, I would be all for it, but the money and the business aspect of it are what concerns me, and since it's such a new idea I feel like she's jumping into it way too quickly. But I have no idea how to tell her that without upsetting her; she can also be very sensitive. I don't think she understands that this would be hard, it wouldn't be a walk in the park, so if anyone owns a business and can shed some light on that I would appreciate it. I don't want to sound unsupportive but I'm just very concerned about the timing here.

Tldr my wife wants to start a bakery but I don't want to hurt her feelings in telling her I think it's a bad idea

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dude can relax, because no bank is going to loan her money to start a drat bakery

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fortis posted:

This is textbook emotional abuse more or less (and maybe borderline personality disorder), it really reminds me of my ex, who once freaked out at me so bad for not wanting to drive from the Portland suburbs to SE Portland to buy her a second birthday cake from a chinese bakery that she held me at sword-point using a replica of Sting from Lord of the Rings. Anyway she eventually did me the huge favor of mostly breaking up with me but also left it in that weird limbo where we weren't TOTALLY broken up, like this girl did, and I had to officially end it by telling her to get hosed and take her name off our lease. That should be this guy's next move.

wooph

Also Sting lol. Are you a giant spider. Is that what really happened. Because it's told differently in The Two Towers and id like to get your side

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean i knew that hobbits love eating but i'd never heard of second birthday lol

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I tell the story with all the details because I feel like it elevates it from "my ex was emotionally abusive" to "my ex was so emotionally abusive it turned my entire life into an insane parody of existing as a human being."
I consider myself lucky that fate handed me a relatively easy escape opportunity and I was smart enough to take it when I did.

The story of how she got the sword is pretty boring. She was an RA where we went to college for a few of the apartment buildings on campus and some kid left it in their place when they left for the summer. It was an art school. I think ultimately my advice is to neither date nor be an art student at any point in your life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
hey u did a thing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Posting this one for one comment in particular.

I [26 F] asked my best friend [25 F] of 15 years to watch my animals while I was away for a few days, just accidentally saw on my camera that she barely stopped by.

quote:

I go out of state for work for 3-4 days maybe about 3-4 times a year. My best friend lives only about 10 minutes away from me so I usually pay her to take care of my 2 dogs and 2 cats. Recently, however, I watched her dog for her when her family went away on vacation so she said
that I didn't have to pay her this time. I said that, since I had so much more pets that are kind of difficult for her to deal with, I would at least take her out to dinner afterwards.

For my dogs, they usually stay in my backyard when no one is home, unless it gets 90+ or high 80s with me being gone for a long time, then I leave them inside. She knows this and I went over it again right before I left.

I got back a couple of days ago and I asked how they were and she said annoying as usual (jokingly). Anyway, just right now I was bored, heard something at my front door and decided to check my front door cameras motion detection history for fun. I clicked on a random day and there was nothing, which was weird, because there's usually at least me showing up from or leaving for work. Then I realized that she never showed up that day, not to feed them or check up on them or anything. It was in the high 80's for temperature and they have a big jug of water but it probably needed to be checked on to make sure there was enough water for the heat.

After seeing that I checked the day before, when it was about 92 degrees, and she stopped by for about 7 minutes one time that day, not enough time if you were letting the dogs in because things need to be situated and moved our of the way of curious dog noses.

The other day was, thankfully, also in the 80's but she still only came by for 5 or so minutes again and when I got home late the day after they had no water.

So, unless it's only for a day or two, I don't think I'll be asking her to watch them again, but my question is, do I tell her I know? I mean it sounds pretty convoluted , that I was randomly sitting there, poking through my cameras motion history and happened to land on the day she was supposed to be there. It would seem like I was spying on her, especially because I called her out on similar stuff before I got the camera (more payment related then dog related). She knows I have the camera, but probably forgot about it.
If I should tell her, what should I say? I definitely don't want to buy her dinner now.

tl;dr: My best friend barely took care of my pets when I was away. Should I let her know that I know or just move on and find a different pet sitter?

quote:

This would make me livid. That would be the end of the friendship for me.

I watch my daughters bearded dragon (it lives at her dads house) every time her dad goes out of town....and while I'm not particularly fond of lizards...I treat that lizard as if it were mine. She gets baths every day when she's shedding, I feed her the gross worms she loves, and make her fresh salads everyday (that she usually ignores lol)...and I tuck her in every night by warming up a blanket I sewed for (that's the size of a facecloth) and rubbing her back until she falls asleep....I mean, my daughter says that the lizard is treated better here than at home...and that's how it should be. It's stressful for an animal when their human is gone. I hope whenever we need someone to check in on our cats that they hang out with them and give them extra attention...our pets are our babies.

I don't even know how I'd approach your friend....I'd be so mad. In my mind, there's no excuse for not stopping by...especially because this could have been a life or death situation...she's so lucky they survived.

:3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

More of this, less talking about you-know-Hugh.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm the spider nipples

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm the giant burning eye giving universally applicable advice in the background

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm the spider nipples

don't be greedy; you can't be both

Ex [22M] proposed to me [22F] today. My current BF [23M] wants me to keep the proposal necklace my ex gave me. I want to throw it away.

quote:

Me: 22F
Current BF: Jim, 23M, together 5 months.
Ex BF: Dave, 22M, together 8 months total. Our relationship ended in the spring of this year. We have not spoken in months, but we are on good terms.

So I never thought I'd be in this position, but I'm not quite sure what I should do. This is such a silly situation.'

Early this morning, my ex left me a small package on my front doorstep. I opened the box to find a beautiful, handcrafted replica of an Amulet of Mara from Skyrim. Inside the box was a note that asked me to call him and tell him my answer. I know it was him because he left me a voicemail and numerous texts about it, of which I have not answered. I'm too stunned.

When I opened the box and saw what was inside, I immediately called my current SO, Jim, to tell him about it. Jim sounded surprised, but asked to see it when he came by later. I showed it to him when he came by and he commented on how beautiful it was. I immediately brought up wanting to get rid of it, and Jim seemed really offended by my suggestion, and uncomfortable with the entire situation. He actually told me he wanted me to wear it. I think that's just wrong. Jim's stance is that I have logged over 700 hours in the game, and he knows that I had actually joked about getting proposed to with one of these necklaces. I emphasized that I hadn't talked to Dave in months, and didn't know where this was coming from.

Jim knows I have no interest in Dave, I don't think that's an issue. I just feel weird keeping it. But I don't want to upset Jim by throwing it away. I'm obviously going to tell Dave that I cannot accept his proposal. I don't even know why he did it, he knows I've been dating Jim! Is it even appropriate to keep it? Or is it best to get rid of it? The only Middle ground I can think of is storing it away quietly and not bringing it up again with Jim.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
She should not keep it cause that's gonna give Dave the wrong idea.

Also jims into cuck

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

You know how sometimes an Alzheimer patient can have a moment of clarity that makes you remember the person they used to be? This is kinda like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

don't be greedy; you can't be both

Ex [22M] proposed to me [22F] today. My current BF [23M] wants me to keep the proposal necklace my ex gave me. I want to throw it away.

Sell it on the internet.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sell it on the internet.

And dump your weird boyfriend who says "Yea, wear this gift from your stalker ex" because what in the gently caress?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel like there are too many unnecessary details, here, yet I am glad I read all of them.

Especially the last one

Well it could've been Sting from the Police, it's important to clarify these things

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Can Pick become the new Elsa and just draw pictures from now on?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How disgusting are the people involved in this to propose with a video game necklace.

At least the dude who bought his girlfriend the extremely overpriced final fantasy necklace didnt do it as a proposal and bought one that doesnt look like something an aging bohemian woman with grey hair and multicolored blouse at a flea market would rock.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

How disgusting are the people involved in this to propose with a video game necklace.

Well

quote:

I have logged over 700 hours in the game

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think she should keep the necklace, it sounds like she needs an upgrade to her INT and CHA stats

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

new phone who dis posted:

I don't pity the big business getting stolen from but I also don't pity the person willing to risk permanently loving up their life over some petty crime bullshit.

I know this is from pages back but I'd like to point out that Walmart (at least the one I work at) gives bonuses to its employees based on low shrink numbers. So basically if you do steal from my store you are stealing money from my pocket and gently caress you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jandipoo posted:

I know this is from pages back but I'd like to point out that Walmart (at least the one I work at) gives bonuses to its employees based on low shrink numbers. So basically if you do steal from my store you are stealing money from my pocket and gently caress you.

lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

She explained that she didn't believe in premarital sex and that if I expected sex before marriage then I should just move on and find another girl.

You

quote:

we might be a good match, so I decided to take a chance.

stupid, stupid

quote:

When we got there she told me she thought we had a real chance of marriage and she wanted to have sex. I asked if she was sure and she said yes, so we did.

dipshit.

She is fishing for a marriage proposal, dummy.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I kind of want this to be fake, but the husband deserves to roast in hell for what he said:

quote:

My [32F] husband [35M] of five years just came out as gay
u/husbandisgay
Names changed for privacy reasons.

My husband Jack and I have been together for eight years and married for five. We don't have children, but have been trying for the past two years. A year ago I had a miscarriage after three months, just after we told his family and our close friends that we were pregnant. It was probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me, and though his family was wonderful and so supportive and made me feel loved and cared for, Jack himself was cold and even made a few comments that implied it was probably my fault. We fought about it, but he said it was just grief making him say awful things and I forgave him. We kept trying again, but no pregnancy.

Other than that our marriage has been rocky, as Jack has a tendency to be passive-aggressive and I have a tendency to be too clingy, so there have been rifts and issues through the years, but we've worked through them and have both tried to compromise and work on our own problems. It hasn't all been bad. Jack can be very loving and romantic, and has always made an effort to do things like remember my birthday and our anniversary, and has always made those days wonderful for me. He is very smart, funny, and a charismatic guy who people love the moment they meet him, myself included.

A week and a half ago Jack told me there was something important he had to say to me, and we sat down to talk. He told me he's gay, and even though he tried to make the marriage work with me because he wants children and because he loves me, he can't ignore who he is anymore. He asked for a divorce, and started talking about which one of us should move out.

I didn't hear a lot of what he said after properly because I was in shock. There's never been anything that would make me think Jack is gay, our sex has always been good and I've never felt like he wasn't attracted to me. I suddenly realized I've spent eight years of my life with this man and I guess all of it he was just playing pretend. I was in love, but I was out there alone.

I took it hard. I asked if he had told anyone else, and he said some of our mutual friends know, and his brother knows too, but he hadn't told his parents yet. His best friend has known for years! It was so humiliating to hear that.

We are going to start divorce proceedings and I have tried to reach out to some of my friends for support, but they have all brushed me off. Everyone keeps saying Jack is so brave and it's wonderful that he can finally live his life authentically, like I was just a ball and chain weighing him down instead of a person he was lying to and using for children. When I try to say that I feel hurt and betrayed, I get told I'm being selfish and I should think about how hard it's been for Jack these eight years. One of our friends called me "an entitled little hetwife" which aside from being a weird thing to say, doesn't even make sense because I'm bisexual and estranged from my homophobic family because of it, and she knows that.

Jack himself has been a bit more understanding about how hurt I feel, but when I try to tell him that I feel betrayed he gets impatient and starts asking what I want him to do about it, because it's not like he can just stop being gay for me. I know that. I guess I just want someone to be sympathetic and validate these feelings I have. I went through a miscarriage for this man. It was the worst thing that's ever happened to me. And it was for nothing.

What do I do? How can I talk to people in a way that gets them to understand that while I want Jack to be happy and to pursue a good life, I also feel hurt and lied to? How can I move past these feelings? I feel very alone.

TL;DR: My husband came out as gay and I'm devastated. Friends don't care and tell me to stop being selfish. Don't know who to turn to.

Also they got married in 2010s. It's not the 1950s, you do not have to get married to someone you don't want to. That poo poo is on him and him only. It's not brave - on their wedding day he got up in front of her, all their friends and family and lied his rear end off about who he was and his feelings for her.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Jandipoo posted:

walmart purposefully pays it's employees so little they need to get food stamps (:siren: TAX FUNDED :siren:, so when you work at wal mart you are stealing money from my pocket and gently caress you

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Milotic posted:

I kind of want this to be fake, but the husband deserves to roast in hell for what he said:

Also they got married in 2010s. It's not the 1950s, you do not have to get married to someone you don't want to. That poo poo is on him and him only. It's not brave - on their wedding day he got up in front of her, all their friends and family and lied his rear end off about who he was and his feelings for her.

Wow look at this homophobe here