Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

House of Wax and Orphan are both good, and tuned to the correct pitch of hysterical melodrama and unrepentant sleaze that Suicide Squad needs.

Yeah, and I really doubt Mel Gibson was considering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They announced the casing for Aladdin. Naomi Scott is Jasmine (she most recently was in the Power Rangers film as Kimberly), Will Smith is Genie, and Mena Massoud is Aladdin. I don't know anything about him.

I still wish they had cast Eric Andre as Genie as a pure elemental force of chaos.

muscles like this! posted:

You should really watch Mr Robot.

Most definitely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Guy Mann posted:

I still wish they had cast Eric Andre as Genie as a pure elemental force of chaos.

In the next couple years we are almost certainly going to see Eric Andre direct a film.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In the next couple years we are almost certainly going to see Eric Andre direct a film.

I sure hope so

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eric Andre should direct Star Wars 9

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Taintrunner posted:

Eric Andre should direct Star Wars 9

Aladdin, directed by Eric Andre, starring Hannibal Buress as Genie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Wars Episode IX: Legalize Ranch

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

House of Wax and Orphan are both good, and tuned to the correct pitch of hysterical melodrama and unrepentant sleaze that Suicide Squad needs.

I forgot about Orphan. I don't know if I'd call it good, but it was kinda hosed up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, and I really doubt Mel Gibson was considering it.

Well, yeah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Shot Context

The Holy Mountain (1973 dir. Alejandro Jodorwosky)

The Eric Andre Show (2014 dir. Andrew Barchilon and Kitao Sakurai)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Eric Andre and The Holy Mountain are two super dope things that I did not think intersected. I am so happy to be wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The dude is a Jodorowsky fan and is dating Rosario Dawson. Put it together people. Magical Realist Eric Andre.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

Hook is terrible. Dustin Hoffman is chewing scenery left and right and everyone remembers "RU-FI-O!" but the movie itself is garbage.
Spoken like an accountant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It is the only movie that comes to mind where the military arrives to fight the monsters and the military actually wins. Maybe The Mist.

Shaun of the Dead.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And most monster movies made in the '50s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't the opening one one Friday the 13th sequel have the cops and SWAT show up and riddle Jason full of bullets?

A good chunk of horror movies end with some variant of 'And then the cops showed up but there was nothing there'.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Inescapable Duck posted:

Doesn't the opening one one Friday the 13th sequel have the cops and SWAT show up and riddle Jason full of bullets?

That's how Jason Goes to Hell™.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Nvm!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Spoken like an accountant.
Seeing Hook in the the theatre at 12 years old is still the worst time I've spent in the cinema.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hedenius posted:

Seeing Hook in the the theatre at 12 years old is still the worst time I've spent in the cinema.

Sharing the worst thing I saw in a theater at 12 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgWw43Fcuw

Jesus Christ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stink Billyums posted:

Jesus Christ.

"Based on the bestselling novel from the author of Jurassic Park."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Congowns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, Congo is great, sorry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The film opens with Bruce Campbell playing Joe Don Baker's son. Its heart is in the right place.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Congo's loaded with great character actors. Delroy Lindo yelling "Stop eating my sesame cake!" has been seared into my brain since I was a kid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Watching the last Turtles movie made me feel kinda bad for Laura Linney, because clearly she deserved better than that. Then this discussion and the clip posted reminded me that she's also in Congo so she might just not give a gently caress and that's pretty great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grendels Dad posted:

Watching the last Turtles movie made me feel kinda bad for Laura Linney, because clearly she deserved better than that. Then this discussion and the clip posted reminded me that she's also in Congo so she might just not give a gently caress and that's pretty great.

I checked her IMDB to see what else she's been doing lately and this is on there

So I think she's fine.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

Jesus Christ.
Never saw Congo in the theater. But as several people have pointed out Congo owns.

Edit: The clip you're linking is Laura Linney cutting apart albino gorillas with a laser. How is that not great?

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 16, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hedenius posted:

Never saw Congo in the theater. But as several people have pointed out Congo owns.
Parts of the movie seem like they would be fun, but goddamn is it boring.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darthemed posted:

And most monster movies made in the '50s.

Them! is a really good movie that avoids a lot of dumb horror movie tropes you see in other things these days. Not only was the military good, they quickly buy into the whole thing instead of insisting"it can't be something supernatural, it's just a crazy guy or gang or something!"

I owe a lot to AMC back when I was a little kid for introducing me to a classic like Them!, as well as Three Stooges.

I never saw Congo, only ever read the book.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I vaguely remember that the military manages to get jack poo poo done in the original The Blob, it's the ne'er-do-wells teaming up with the the rest of the townspeople that win the day by stealing all the fire extinguishers from the school. The Blob owns. All The Blobs own.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

It is the only movie that comes to mind where the military arrives to fight the monsters and the military actually wins. Maybe The Mist.

I actually like the first Return Of The Living Dead because the military saves the day and stops the zombie apocalypse, if only delaying it, by dropping a nuke on the main characters.

I also like to point out this solution almost happens in Lifeforce, "area cauterization by thermonuclear device", but Peter Finch and Steve Railsback stop the head space vampires before that can happen. Both where written by Dan O'Bannon (which now reminds me he both wrote Alien and Dark Star, which end with the spaceships blowing up from nukes, so he might have had a thing about nukes)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

George Romero passed away at 77.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

drat.

E: https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/movies/2017/05/19/george-a-romero-road-of-the-dead/amp/

:(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Young Freud posted:

I actually like the first Return Of The Living Dead because the military saves the day and stops the zombie apocalypse, if only delaying it, by dropping a nuke on the main characters.

Since it leads to that acid rain I thought the implication was they just made it a thousand times worse.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Since it leads to that acid rain I thought the implication was they just made it a thousand times worse.

It's been awhile, but I know it shows the rain going into the coffin over a graveyard, but I can't recall if the corpse moved.

Anyway, the second film basically glossed over it with the outbreak being caused by another Trioxin spill.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Well, he'll obviously be back.

Very sorry to lose him. I'll need to pay respects with some choice movies of his. Night and Creepshow I think.

Edit: Congo is alongside Sphere for being better than their books and also not actually good but fun to watch. Sphere mostly leaves me baffled how they could make a movie that crazy bad while Congo is just a plain fun adventure movie that has several quotable characters.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 17, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Eh I liked the Congo novel, it was way better than The Lost World novel; really thinking about it Crichton was pretty much a hack. Eaters of the Dead ended up making for a fun movie though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Martin Landau passed away at 89.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, Game of Thrones really is killing off a lot of people for the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Man, Game of Thrones really is killing off a lot of people for the new season.

I just can't believe they did for Abe Vigoda last year. I thought for sure he'd make it to the final season.

• Locked thread