Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Plek posted:

The annihilator will be the easiest loving thing to core out though, since that entire head chunk will probably count as center torso.
Meh. The Atlas's giant head has been pure CT since release without crippling effects, and the Annihilator's head is the same size of smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Atlas doesn't have a big rear end neck though

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Annihilator just seems like a taller Atlas that's easier to shoot before it gets in range .

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think it's more apt to call it an Atlas with a pointy hat and beer belly.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Q_res posted:

I think it's more apt to call it an Atlas with a pointy hat and beer belly.

Fatlas

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Veedub, I've played with you before. You rarely torso twist, move predictably, hold still often, and generally aren't that good. You get ct cored all the time because of it. People aren't cheating, you're just poo poo.

This comment almost makes me want to reinstall this heap and play with goons again. If I have all of my founders and Phoenix legendary MC what should I buy? The last time I played was before the Phoenix mechs were even delivered, so I got a few Atlases and some other IS heavies. The Summoner was my old ride on the TT, any good now or not worth it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The ANH has better armor quirks than the atlas and much better hardpoints, and while it's mounts aren't great they aren't any worse than the Atlas either. The Atlas is dead. The King Crab is even deader, the Annihilator gets way more armor than it plus much much better hardpoints.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Plek posted:

The annihilator will be the easiest loving thing to core out though, since that entire head chunk will probably count as center torso.

:agreed:

And that uziel is entirely torso. Look at those delicate spindly arms that won't shield a thing :v:

Also forget any chance at convergence :lol:

Geometry is king, THEN quirks.

Actually the cougar is probably ok, for a light. It's no urbie though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 16, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Great Beer posted:

Veedub, I've played with you before. You rarely torso twist, move predictably, hold still often, and generally aren't that good. You get ct cored all the time because of it. People aren't cheating, you're just poo poo.

If I had played this game recently at all I'd ask to do me next.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Amechwarrior posted:

This comment almost makes me want to reinstall this heap and play with goons again. If I have all of my founders and Phoenix legendary MC what should I buy? The last time I played was before the Phoenix mechs were even delivered, so I got a few Atlases and some other IS heavies. The Summoner was my old ride on the TT, any good now or not worth it?

Probably a clan hero of some kind if those are available for MC and not only cash purchases.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Summoner is an okay mech. Not meta, but very mobile. The best builds are probably either dual PPC sniper or some kind of mixed SRM/AC brawler.

I'd hold off on buying anything new. The patch on Tuesday is going to change a bunch of stuff and there's no guarantee that anything good right now will still be good in two weeks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One quick game with the K-9 after weeks of doing other things with my free time.

Still excellent. No kills but 12 assists and survived the round thanks to being full zombie. Best mech :cool:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

The ANH has better armor quirks than the atlas and much better hardpoints, and while it's mounts aren't great they aren't any worse than the Atlas either. The Atlas is dead. The King Crab is even deader, the Annihilator gets way more armor than it plus much much better hardpoints.

Thank you, so boring to see all those posts saying a mech is dead due to the head, get real.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Oh my God I never realised the Trashcan cockpit item had an animation! :swoon:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

Oh my God I never realised the Trashcan cockpit item had an animation! :swoon:

Yup, the Urbie inside pops out whenever you score a kill and it synchs up with the Urbanmech warhorn.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you, so boring to see all those posts saying a mech is dead due to the head, get real.

Fo' sho'! It'll have way better hitboxes and quirks when it drops (srsly) then go out for see-bills with a fat side of "we fixed it :v:".

$$$ well spent indeed! :tif:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

I've never denied being terrible at this game. I also almost never play sober either.

Lol, success, by calling Russ and Paul out as terrible human beings I finally got banned from the brown sea.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 16, 2017

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
YO I DIDN'T REALIZE CIVIL WAR IS AROUND THE CORNER

I AM KINDA HYPED. WHAT WERE THE PTS IMPRESSIONS

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RACs are garbage

ATMs are controversial

Heavy lasers have comically long burn times.

Laser AMS actively cripples your mech.

IS UAC do bursts like clan but will still be cool.

Light Fusion engines are going to be essential on most IS heavies and assaults.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cyrano4747 posted:

RACs are garbage

ATMs are controversial

Heavy lasers have comically long burn times.

Laser AMS actively cripples your mech.

IS UAC do bursts like clan but will still be cool.

Light Fusion engines are going to be essential on most IS heavies and assaults.

Are the small ppc and gauss and medium missiles worth a poo poo or are all the new guns poo poo? I was thinking of coming back but not if all the new stuff is hot garbage.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Washout posted:

Are the small ppc and gauss and medium missiles worth a poo poo or are all the new guns poo poo? I was thinking of coming back but not if all the new stuff is hot garbage.

Light PPCs are cool. They set the ghost heat at 3, so it has applications on mechs too light for regular PPCs.

Light Gauss has a DPT that's even worse than heavy Gauss, so it's probably crap.

MRMs do a lot of damage but spread like a mo-fo. Probably also crap.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 17, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

Light PPCs are cool. They set the ghost heat at 3, so it has applications on mechs too light for regular PPCs.

Light Gauss has a DPT that's even worse than heavy Gauss, so it's probably crap.

MRMs do a lot of damage but spread like a mo-fo. Probably also crap.

LPPCs are indeed good, but situationally good.

Light Gauss is crap for the reason mentioned, and Heavy Gauss is just "worse AC20 that can also blow up."

MRMs have the potential to be mean as gently caress in splat builds. I should have mentioned them earlier. They spread like whoa but inside traditional SRM ranges they focus mostly on one component. I could see them being a pretty good flat out replacement for things like the splat catapult where you have the option of spraying someone down at 400m as a throw away attack of opportunity but generally want to wait until you're close in to do your real work. Kind of like LBXs in that regard.

Heavy/light MGs seem pointless

The micro weapons seem like a shittier version of what smalls were before the patch with even less range. I really can't think of a compelling use for them even on laser boat lights, but that might just be me.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MRMs look like theyll be useful on slow brawlers with extra tonnage. Theb33f has done a few videos on newtech builds and MRMs seem useable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxdVUH0Um0

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

There's also a lot of mechs with 1 or 2 missile hardpoints who are currently stuck as ballistics/energy boats but could reasonably change archetypes with the big-rear end MRM launchers.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yo what did i miss

Great Beer posted:

:sbahj:

I'm going to try to make micro lasers work with all those free hardpoints I have on the EXE-D. It'll be stretch but who knows, the thing is mostly garbage on paper as is anyways and I managed to get way closer to people than I should in most matches. If most of the new stuff is garbage at least I'll get a little entertainment out of trying stuff out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Micro pulse are halfway decent if you have a mech with enough hard-points to mount 8+ and enough speed to mitigate the horrendous 90m optimal range. Unfortunately, no such mech exists at the moment. Even the ACH caps out at 7E and to reach that you have to drop ECM.

Edit: Thinking it over, I can't say that I've played a Clan light since the laser rebalance and I hardly ever see them in games. A good 90% of the lights I run into are Urbies or Wolfhounds running ML/MPL.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 17, 2017

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The 12 micropulse, 4 heavy mg nova I saw in one of TheB33f's videos looks pretty terrifying.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you let it get close, yeah, but >90m is hard to reach going 81kph.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

MRMs are one of the less-bad new tech options, but they're still... not good. Unless they have significantly changed them from the second iteration of the PTS, at ~150-200m even an MRM20 has so much spread that aiming center mass at an Atlas will cause you to miss quite a bit of your shot- and yes, I am aware of the spread issues the PTS without using Artemis, but I was using it. Effectively what I would wind up with playing an MRM80 Stalker was a game where I would only shoot one mech, do 500 damage, and only get one kill and no assists because they spread so much you wind up eating every single point of armor from their mech. They're also hot as gently caress, if anyone pushes you, good loving luck.

The way they track, or rather, do not, also means that at ranges beyond what an SRM would do you're going to miss anything faster than about 80kph. My experience with MRMs was that they are good for farming damage numbers against assaults and in the rare instance that you can get less than 5m from someone's back armor without them noticing you can do some decent damage, but the ghost heat penalty on them is so prohibitive you will shut down on a back alpha so you had better hope it kills them.

Despite all this, they're still better than most of the new tech though.

Atlatl posted:

I'm going to try to make micro lasers work with all those free hardpoints I have on the EXE-D. It'll be stretch but who knows, the thing is mostly garbage on paper as is anyways and I managed to get way closer to people than I should in most matches. If most of the new stuff is garbage at least I'll get a little entertainment out of trying stuff out.

The micro lasers are just bad. Don't use them.

You know the regular IS Small Laser that is garbage & nobody uses? The micro pulse lasers have the same stats as an IS small laser but with half the range and a somewhat shorter beam duration. Seriously, you can't even tickle targets 200m away, and at 100 you're still doing less than full damage. I love the EXE-D to death, that thing was an absolute scalpel with massed SPLs and it was easily one of my favourite assaults. The SPL nerf killed it, and the uPLs are not going to revive it; the range on the SPLs was already too short, and having half that range is not going to cut it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So basically all the new tech sucks except the light engines?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Agrajag posted:

So basically all the new tech sucks except the light engines?

Light engines are good, IS UACs are excellent, heavy machineguns are good, IS ER MLs look pretty great. MRMs look... marginal, light PPCs and snub PPCs might find a use. ATMs are awful, LAMS is awful, light gauss weighs waaaay too much, heavy gauss carries far too many restrictions to be useful, heavy lasers are trash and so are micro lasers, and stealth armor is pretty pointless.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
nvm

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Can you mix heavy lasers and pulse lasers and get something like a 1:2 firing pattern going?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

aniviron posted:

The SPL nerf killed it

I just run MPLs like a big idiot so I didn't get hit by that. I'll just drop my two ghost heat lasers and fill the remaining spots with bad baby lasers. Getting inside 90m is easy because most players have zero situational awareness. I'll make it work. :unsmigghh:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Can you mix heavy lasers and pulse lasers and get something like a 1:2 firing pattern going?

The main issue with Heavy Lasers isn't the heat, it's the burn duration. Unless your target is afk there's no way you get more than half your damage into the component you're shooting for.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

The Saddest Robot posted:

The 12 micropulse, 4 heavy mg nova I saw in one of TheB33f's videos looks pretty terrifying.

Skippy McPants posted:

If you let it get close, yeah, but >90m is hard to reach going 81kph.

I think the reason it worked in his video is because the PTS is only 4v4. I don't think in a 12v12 it will be realistic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, getting inside ~180 with the old SPL builds was hard enough in 12v12. Halving such a small distance might not seem like much, but it means that you have to stand practically on top of your target and likely expose to more than one enemy.

Could be pretty good in Scouting, but in regular QM you're gonna die a lot without doing more than a few hundred damage.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, getting inside ~180 with the old SPL builds was hard enough in 12v12. Halving such a small distance might not seem like much, but it means that you have to stand practically on top of your target and likely expose to more than one enemy.

Could be pretty good in Scouting, but in regular QM you're gonna die a lot without doing more than a few hundred damage.

I think scouting might be where stealth armor shines for the pirates bane. Being completely invisible to sensors while staying near the drop zone could be pretty huge. I've hidden near the drop so many times by powering down, but you are still visible on heat. Does stealth armor also block tag and narc?

As for micro lasers, I don't see a use for them. I will probably still try them in one or two mechs to see if I can brute force them to do some good, but it looks like standard micro lasers were nerfed in the PTS.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 18, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looks like the handed the MCII's walk cycle over to the summer intern,

Hilariously, the fuckin' cockpit standee has a better walking animation than the actual mech.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Skippy McPants posted:

Looks like the handed the MCII's walk cycle over to the summer intern,

Hilariously, the fuckin' cockpit standee has a better walking animation than the actual mech.

It's not an error, it's got that Atlas pimp-limp son

• Locked thread