Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Oh yeah stormcall looks cool too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Blast rain is pretty nice for that kind of delayed attack, fire a volley of 4 shots into the air, reposition, and they come crashing down a second later.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just took it into a tier 11 map, and this is what happened when I opened one of the chests.

Protip(hahaha as if I'm pro): set up a nice fire rain all around the box before opening it. Not that you died anyway, but that makes it pretty drat safe most of the time!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I jumped into the 2 week race today after not having played PoE in 3 years and played for 4 hours.

I'm unfamiliar with what the difference between the league and regular game is, but the game looks better than I remember. The difficulty curve seems lower (this might just be due to me doing the side quests) and the different elements and new NPCs are interesting. I look forward to the expansion.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

OhFunny posted:

I'm unfamiliar with what the difference between the league and regular game is

The different leagues fall into three categories:

League - ~3 month league where most of the playerbase goes. Currently Legacy (essentially you can choose which league mods you want in a given zone, a one last huzzah for PoE of today before FoO comes out). Will have softcore and hardcore variants (with Solo Self Found option for both). These 3 categories are all leagues, but when someone just says "league", they're referring to this category. After this league ends SC characters go to Standard, HC characters that didn't die go to Hardcore (HC characters that die go straight to Standard, not league SC). The modifier for this league will often times get rolled into the base game (Essence), or sometimes just as a map mod that Zana can craft (Perandus), but occasionally will be not be rolled into the base game in any form (Talisman).

Race - What you're in now (Turmoil). Race leagues can run anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 weeks and can have modifiers as innocuous as Exiles Everywhere (every zone has 20 Rogues in it) to as "gently caress you" as BLAMT (Blood Magic, Lethal [125% increase monster damage], Ancestral [totems everywhere], Multiple Projectiles, Turbo [60% increased monster move/attack/cast speed]) to something completely outside the normal game experience (Desecent, Descent Champions, Endless Ledge. Prizes are awarded at the end of these, usually for the top <number> of players for one prize than a random number of people who hit a certain threshold (level or boss kill) get a lesser prize. Typically at their conclusion characters are voided (cannot be played any more, no matter how hard you complain) as the drop tables are completely different from the normal game (like the guaranteed Exalt towards the end of Descent Champions); but Turmoil will follow the post-league rules as above because reddit bitched about it.

Standard/Hardcore - Permanent league/base game. All your poo poo eventually ends up here. Good luck trading in here because, as you might imagine from it being a dumping ground, poo poo needs to be perfect to sell, if anyone's actually around to sell it to you (this part gets better between leagues). I use this as a place to try out build ideas since I have a bunch of high level characters and every so often there will be a passive reset when GGG messes with the tree.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of races - Are alt. art items still available to be acquired after a month in the league? If yes, how much do they go for? I have a Storm Cloud in a secondary account and since I already have one in Standard I'm considering selling it come FoO.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

whypick1 posted:

The different leagues fall into three categories:

League - ~3 month league where most of the playerbase goes. Currently Legacy (essentially you can choose which league mods you want in a given zone, a one last huzzah for PoE of today before FoO comes out). Will have softcore and hardcore variants (with Solo Self Found option for both). These 3 categories are all leagues, but when someone just says "league", they're referring to this category. After this league ends SC characters go to Standard, HC characters that didn't die go to Hardcore (HC characters that die go straight to Standard, not league SC). The modifier for this league will often times get rolled into the base game (Essence), or sometimes just as a map mod that Zana can craft (Perandus), but occasionally will be not be rolled into the base game in any form (Talisman).

Race - What you're in now (Turmoil). Race leagues can run anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 weeks and can have modifiers as innocuous as Exiles Everywhere (every zone has 20 Rogues in it) to as "gently caress you" as BLAMT (Blood Magic, Lethal [125% increase monster damage], Ancestral [totems everywhere], Multiple Projectiles, Turbo [60% increased monster move/attack/cast speed]) to something completely outside the normal game experience (Desecent, Descent Champions, Endless Ledge. Prizes are awarded at the end of these, usually for the top <number> of players for one prize than a random number of people who hit a certain threshold (level or boss kill) get a lesser prize. Typically at their conclusion characters are voided (cannot be played any more, no matter how hard you complain) as the drop tables are completely different from the normal game (like the guaranteed Exalt towards the end of Descent Champions); but Turmoil will follow the post-league rules as above because reddit bitched about it.

Standard/Hardcore - Permanent league/base game. All your poo poo eventually ends up here. Good luck trading in here because, as you might imagine from it being a dumping ground, poo poo needs to be perfect to sell, if anyone's actually around to sell it to you (this part gets better between leagues). I use this as a place to try out build ideas since I have a bunch of high level characters and every so often there will be a passive reset when GGG messes with the tree.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elentor posted:

Speaking of races - Are alt. art items still available to be acquired after a month in the league? If yes, how much do they go for? I have a Storm Cloud in a secondary account and since I already have one in Standard I'm considering selling it come FoO.

Good luck selling it. There are lots of people trying to get 10s of exalts out of it but demand is likely low.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Is anyone else getting constant failures to connect to instances, even ones that you'd just recently left?

I fuckin give up. It's completely unplayable

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 15, 2017

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

zxqv8 posted:

Is anyone else getting constant failures to connect to instances, even ones that you'd just recently left?

I fuckin give up. It's completely unplayable

You talking about the race? Hasn't happened once to me, sorry.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So Kaom's Heart just dropped for me in beta, from a breach in a quay map. I am playing that life based CWC firestormer, so the the fire damage bonus on it seems relevant. Using both heart and roots seems like a no-go though, since that removes the links needed for my leapslam. Switched to heart plus rare boots.

Also wearing both heart and roots together looks kind of ugly. I don't like the shine on the armor. Dick-lions are fun though.

Curious if anybody has suggestions for my build. This is the first character I haven't followed a planned out guide for, so I am winging it a bit. Path of Building is at least really helpful. The link below has all my actual gear too. I realize the jewelry desperately needs replaced. They came from my ele buzzsaw raider.
https://pastebin.com/V5MdGrNN

The dude is good against bosses, but only medicore at mapping due to firestorm's startup time and not having have a super fast movement skill. Have brightbeak on a weapon swap, which helps.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

dis astranagant posted:

Good luck selling it. There are lots of people trying to get 10s of exalts out of it but demand is likely low.

Alt art storm cloud is cool as heck but it is one of the more common alt arts so yeah good luck getting good value for it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So Magnus is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9G0VHbA9Q

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Filthy Monkey posted:

The dude is good against bosses, but only medicore at mapping due to firestorm's startup time and not having have a super fast movement skill. Have brightbeak on a weapon swap, which helps.

What's your channelling skill? Scorching Ray should be clearing packs just fine.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It is SR, yeah. It does work, but it still does feel slow to map compared to my raider.

Being a newb, I did just get my first ever Atziri kill with the character. I watched the engineering eternity guide first, which was helpful. Was good to know about mirror atziri. It wasn't really even a fight though. Each boss went down in the couple seconds at most. Drops were flask and mortal ignorance.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Go do uber atziri now

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

I dunno if I just never experienced it before this race since some exiles can be rare but good god I am terrified of ones with Molten Shell up because they just nuke you.

Unrelated, holy lol does PoE do some wierd camera shenanigans when you put it into ultra-ultra-widesceen:

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 15, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nightwisher posted:

I dunno if I just never experienced it before this race since some exiles can be rare but good god I am terrified of ones with Molten Shell up because they just nuke you.

Never mind the molten shell, a 2-3 stack flameblast hit me for over 2k through fortify in docks??????

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

he was just saving you from xandro

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Xandro :shudder:

Ulysses is also a PITA

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

Never mind the molten shell, a 2-3 stack flameblast hit me for over 2k through fortify in docks??????

To me it looks like you're burned down to 2500 when the molten shell hits, which takes you to about 930 when the flame blast hits.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

To me it looks like you're burned down to 2500 when the molten shell hits, which takes you to about 930 when the flame blast hits.

You might be right. In which case: loving lol that molten shell is not normal

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to try an elewander and it's been pretty fun, that is until I got to actual wands. Goddamn does Kinetic Blast cost a lot of mana. It's a huge pain in the rear end to sustain it on low levels, even with only 50% mana reservation instead of 75%.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Double -8 Elreon rings

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

For whatever reason, I recorded my second ever atziri run with shadowplay. This is in beta, with my cwc firestorm zerker. Cut out everything but the bosses. If you want to watch a bad player fight atziri, this is for you. Of particular note is my not noticing I had my secondary weapons equipped at the start of the atziri fight, and my excellent identification of the mirror clone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msuA9yrRa_s

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Am I going mad or does poe.trade not have any kind of time posted search filter? I'm trying to patch up the hole where I haven't had a good bow drop in fifteen levels and all these were apparently posted months ago?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Online Only --> On
Buyout --> Yes

Boom

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Double -8 Elreon rings

I mean in theory this is great but is it really worth it in a new race league where my only option for that is buying magic rings for a fusing each (because I still haven't even seen Elreon) and missing out on rare rings entirely?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I...I might have worked out a build that the Scion is really good for in 3.0? What?

I'm waiting for the Wave 4 changes before I properly theorycraft out some stuff but it looks like Elementalist + Deadeye/Ranger Start is really good for Doomfletch related things. 175% life, MoM, reflect reduction, free pierce, double golems, extra proj. Something ain't right.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm up to tier 10 maps but really struggling to maintain a pool of t9+ and finding it impossible to get any t11 to drop to progress. Should I remove a bunch of crappy low tier maps to force any map drops to be from higher tiers?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

No, you'd be better off buying a few red maps to get your pool going, or just keep alching your T10s til you finally get that lucky break.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vasudus posted:

I...I might have worked out a build that the Scion is really good for in 3.0? What?

I'm waiting for the Wave 4 changes before I properly theorycraft out some stuff but it looks like Elementalist + Deadeye/Ranger Start is really good for Doomfletch related things. 175% life, MoM, reflect reduction, free pierce, double golems, extra proj. Something ain't right.

What skill? Ice shot, LA, multi arrow?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gonadic io posted:

What skill? Ice shot, LA, multi arrow?

I always did Split/Barrage for my Doomfletch builds. I don't know how Tshot feels with just two projectiles but I might run with that.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's so strong about 2 golems?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean loooots of classes are good with Doomfletch, and there still is Pathfinder as king of the fletchers

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Rory_Rackham Balance & Design 270 points 12 hours ago
Yep! We've got this locally, we were hopping to have it make it into the most recent patch but it didn't quite make it. Killing the mid-Act 5 boss will give you a threshold jewel from your class as a quest reward, and that'll unlock the full list of quest threshold jewels to be purchasable from a vendor. We'll hopefully get a chance to try this out on Beta before release.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Jinnigan posted:

Rory_Rackham Balance & Design 270 points 12 hours ago
Yep! We've got this locally, we were hopping to have it make it into the most recent patch but it didn't quite make it. Killing the mid-Act 5 boss will give you a threshold jewel from your class as a quest reward, and that'll unlock the full list of quest threshold jewels to be purchasable from a vendor. We'll hopefully get a chance to try this out on Beta before release.

This is a goodness

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm mostly amazed that I got a somewhat workable build using a Scion. Doomfletch is just that good though, I guess.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Could I grab a guild invite? New char name is AssCrackODawn in the 2 week race (scrubcore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Deformed Church posted:

Am I going mad or does poe.trade not have any kind of time posted search filter? I'm trying to patch up the hole where I haven't had a good bow drop in fifteen levels and all these were apparently posted months ago?

Why on earth would you care about time posted?

• Locked thread