Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RichardAyoade/status/886252266545717250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I like him, but he's one of those actors I'd have difficulty separating from his previous work.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the amount of 'I have nothing against women but a woman could never play the doctor' on twitter is pretty depressing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Help Im Alive posted:

the amount of 'I have nothing against women but a woman could never play the doctor' on twitter is pretty depressing

"Time travel is a man thing." <:mad:>

https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/886193123675734018

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"So there's this show where this alien from another world travels in time and space defeating robot nazis, robot communists, and when they die, they can change their face so to cheat death."
"This all seems realistic."
"Also, they can change gender sometimes."
"REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am blown away by them just now realizing Doctor Who is about progress and more left wing stuff

Like that's always been a thing.

Ever since the beginning.

The Daleks were loving Nazis. Are Nazis. They are the most evil thing in the universe that the Doctor always fights.

But I can't be too surprised given the Zygon two parter.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

TinTower posted:

"Also, they can change gender sometimes."

And they really leaned into saying that in the last season as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Burkion posted:

I am blown away by them just now realizing Doctor Who is about progress and more left wing stuff

Like that's always been a thing.

Ever since the beginning.

The Daleks were loving Nazis. Are Nazis. They are the most evil thing in the universe that the Doctor always fights.

But I can't be too surprised given the Zygon two parter.

See also; Trekkies when confronted with a female person of color as the new lead. (Also 25 years ago with a male person of color!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like him, but he's one of those actors I'd have difficulty separating from his previous work.

Sure, people felt the same way about Capaldi. I know I did until he got playing Twelve. Remember all those "Malcolm's sticker in the TARDIS" fan videos where he tells Clara and the Daleks to gently caress off?

I think everyone who plays the character eventually becomes The Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

See also; Trekkies when confronted with a female person of color as the new lead. (Also 25 years ago with a male person of color!)

Star Trek fans always get me because the show is literally the personification of

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/886189206300655616

this is great

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there's a lot more hostility to the Doctor being played by a woman than being played by a black man. I imagine if David Harewood, for example, was announced as the new Doctor, there's be some inevitable grousing, but less so than if it was a woman. That's my impression anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Star Trek fans always get me because the show is literally the personification of

Not nearly so much as the Culture series

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not nearly so much as the Culture series

That's still just a book series and the people complaining about this don't do books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wish to observe that in the past couple of days I've seen and the past enough people (from every quarter, really, not just Internet comments) opening that they should bring Tennant back that I'm convinced the Beeb are probably onto something. :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh goodie a potential internet firestorm will brew across British cyberspace in the next 24 hours! :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also Richard Ayode's half Nigerian and half Norwegian? If I didn't know any better his father would've been ROLAND THE THOMPSON GUNNER

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ayoade would only be good for a "The Curse of Fatal Death" type of deal because hes an atrocious actor otherwise. Which is fine, because its obvious that his talents lie elsewhere.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I doubt any of these commentators even watch the show and thinking about the poo poo they say is giving their poo poo more value than they do

Though many nerds have regressed past the point of being lovely Christian moral gaurdians, to them saying a gay person exists is an assertion of opposite political dynamic so horrifying that they immediately poo poo their pants.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Well those Daily Mail comments have changed my mind: Louis Spence or bust.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Ayoade would only be good for a "The Curse of Fatal Death" type of deal because hes an atrocious actor otherwise. Which is fine, because its obvious that his talents lie elsewhere.

Yeah, he's real good on the new Crystal Maze, but I don't think he has the range as an actor to do much beyond the quirky, anti-social snarking, which is a part of the Doctor, but not the whole.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HERAK posted:

And they really leaned into saying that in the last season as well.

Most of the people saying these things haven't watched for years/decades/ever.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, he's real good on the new Crystal Maze, but I don't think he has the range as an actor to do much beyond the quirky, anti-social snarking, which is a part of the Doctor, but not the whole.

To be honest, that's similar (in terms of limited range) how I felt 30 years ago when Sylvester McCoy got it but he turned out fine.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How great would it be if the role of the Doctor turned into this American Idol-esque competition where actors have to win to get the role.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How great would it be if the role of the Doctor turned into this American Idol-esque competition where actors have to win to get the role.

Would a companion do?
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/situation-vacant-540

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Jodie Whittaker.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahah yes

Can't wait to wade into the open sewer of online responses, it's going to be a fun day

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/886608420241117185

The offical (slightly anticlimactic) announcement. Probably going to be a few press releases coming out soon but in the meantime the comments should be glorious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doesn't this technically make the Doctor transgender as well? This is the best news just for all of the ignorant hateful tweets it is generating.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahah yes

Can't wait to wade into the open sewer of online responses, it's going to be a fun day

I'm going to be enjoying this!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna crack open a pepsi and watch the usual suspects lose their minds now.

edit - of course, it would have to be a white blonde lady wouldn't it?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I said come in! posted:

Doesn't this technically make the Doctor transgender as well? This is the best news just for all of the ignorant hateful tweets it is generating.

I'm not sure trans switch back and forth, maybe nonbinary?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I would say the term is gender fluid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna crack open a pepsi and watch the usual suspects lose their minds now.

edit - of course, it would have to be a white blonde lady wouldn't it?

A person of color would have been way better, but this will do I suppose! I know a lot of idiots feel like this is checking off political correctness checkboxes or some dumb poo poo, but representation in media is super important. I mean I am a white straight male and I love this, I loved when Ghostbusters was an all female cast, I love what I have seen of the Black Panther movie so far. Casting only white males over and over again is boring.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Gender agnostic might be more accurate, as there doesn't appear to be much conscious choice in a regeneration.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I say if the show can be like Broadchurch up to, but not including, the child murdering then that would be fine.

I hope the costume changes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I said come in! posted:

A person of color would have been way better, but this will do I suppose! I know a lot of idiots feel like this is checking off political correctness checkboxes or some dumb poo poo, but representation in media is super important. I mean I am a white straight male and I love this, I loved when Ghostbusters was an all female cast, I love what I have seen of the Black Panther movie so far. Casting only white males over and over again is boring.

Forgive me as I am an American, but what would e more controversial: a black man as the new doctor or a Muslim man?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

Forgive me as I am an American, but what would e more controversial: a black man as the new doctor or a Muslim man?

Yes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Define "Muslim". Middle Eastern, Pakistani, what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I think it'd be more fluid but whatever term you wanna use likely applies to Time Lords

• Locked thread