Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Reported. This isn't 4chan, you fuckin' red-had.

Get out you goddamn social justice wyvern

e: update previous++ page

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

McFetusBurger posted:

That was the great thing about Caim. Every villain has to tell you all about why they're destroying the world, he just loving stabbed everything and smiled if it bled.

Sometimes he didn't stab people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McFetusBurger posted:

That was the great thing about Caim. Every villain has to tell you all about why they're destroying the world, he just loving stabbed everything and smiled if it bled.

"If a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

e: update previous page

Actually previous + 1. -1? Page before last.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

"If a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Turns out the only problem with this quote is it puts Caim into the category of "Good man". I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Caim as much as you guys, but I don't think he should really be considered a "good man", he's far too into murder for that to be the case. Even if he mostly only murders bad people.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stephen9001 posted:

Turns out the only problem with this quote is it puts Caim into the category of "Good man". I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Caim as much as you guys, but I don't think he should really be considered a "good man", he's far too into murder for that to be the case. Even if he mostly only murders bad people.

That's because Caim is the exception. Any time he's spending not murdering is, well, time spent not murdering. He hasn't time for gloating and the like when he could instead be stabbing the next in line.

I'd also say that the essence of the quote is that a bad man would love this poo poo, and Caim's two big loves are murder and Red.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

So was Mikhail and everyone loved him.

Once 9S starts rolling around in filth and making GBS threads himself, then we'll start being able to make comparisons to Mikhail :colbert:

Hunt11 posted:

If he is such a racist why was he so engaged with bringing the kid stubby back to his mother or trying to answer all the questions of the little sister machine.
It's much harder to be racist when the person is right there in front of you. Again, another reason why Mikhail is a better garbage racist son than 9S. He let his anti-wyrvern flag fly high and proud.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Stephen9001 posted:

That's because in this quote, "good" really means "self-righteous". It's about how the "good" man and the "evil" man perceive themselves subjectively, not about how objectively good or evil their behavior is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kassad posted:

That's because in this quote, "good" really means "self-righteous". It's about how the "good" man and the "evil" man perceive themselves subjectively, not about how objectively good or evil their behavior is.

Not at all. I was making a bit of a joke by bringing it up in the context of Caim, but it's pretty clear that Pratchett really did mean good and evil there, both because he has his share] of self-righteous villains who still tend towards the monologue, and because it sets up a scene late in where Carrot, the most straightforwardly "good" character, just straight up kills a man. No fuss. No delay. And Carrot isn't particularly self-righteous.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I love Pratchett and I like that quote, I just thought it would be kinda funny to point out that it would make Caim a good man (there are exceptions to every rule and phrase, such as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", sadly, sometimes they really are just another enemy), much like how chiasaur thought it would be funny to post it in the context of Caim.

Kassad posted:

You don't know Pratchett very well do you?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

chiasaur11 posted:

Not at all. I was making a bit of a joke by bringing it up in the context of Caim, but it's pretty clear that Pratchett really did mean good and evil there, both because he has his share] of self-righteous villains who still tend towards the monologue, and because it sets up a scene late in where Carrot, the most straightforwardly "good" character, just straight up kills a man. No fuss. No delay. And Carrot isn't particularly self-righteous.

Terry Pratchett posted:

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Stephen9001 posted:

You don't know Pratchett very well do you?

I truly don't, it's just what I thought that passage was going for. I clearly need to get started on reading more of his books.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
In this kind of comparison Caim is the kind of person who wouldn't know a good cigar if it bit him, because he gets the shakes if he isn't burning through a pack every fifteen minutes.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I always saw Mikhail's fantasy racism as the "Everybody in Drakengard has an irredeemable feature to them" thing as a joke. Oh but now fantasy racism is actually bad now, so gently caress Mikhail you fascist piece of poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The parry chip is Bayonetta's Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa ability, rather than Raiden's parry.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I wouldn't label Caim a good or evil man, he's more of a force of nature that runs by his own rules.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Stephen9001 posted:

Granny Weatherwax had a different take on it:

quote:

"There's no grays, only white that's got grubby. I'm surprised you don't know that. And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
"It's a lot more complicated than that--"
"No. It ain't. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they're getting worried that they won't like the truth. People as things, that's where it starts."
"Oh, I'm sure there are worse crimes--"
"But they starts with thinking about people as things..."
--from Carpe Jugulum, by Terry Pratchett.

That clears up Caim, but I'm having real trouble trying to figure out how to apply this to Automata.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Maxwell Adams posted:

That clears up Caim, but I'm having real trouble trying to figure out how to apply this to Automata.
"They're just robots, 2B. They can't have complex thoughts like that."

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

"Sin is when you treat things like people, 2B." - 9S, probably

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Now I'm imagining Emil selling sausages-inna-bun.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Now I'm imagining Emil selling sausages-inna-bun.

I don't think he has a throat to cut, though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Renditious posted:

Dibblers are a naturally occurring phonomenaphenomenceye bloody well know what i mean. Emil is more like "Magic Nuke My Own Body And Roll My Head Through A Desert Emil" or something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Renditious posted:

He could detach from his car thing? Is that close enough?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Renditious posted:

We also had Disembowel-myself-honorably in not-China/not-Japan, plus the ones in not-Australia, in not-Jerusalem and I might be forgetting one or two other Dibblers. Regional variations on the nickname are fine. Thus:
Lose-my-head Emil?
Head-drop-off Emil?
Kainé-smite-me Emil?
Or-I'm-a-shithog Emil?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blow-meself-up Emil

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's just kinda life, dude. The history of life is conflict.

poo poo, are all the machines in the forest off the grid? Adam's never seen a boar?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I think so. If I remember correctly, the Forest Kingdom is first introduced by Pascal when asked if there's any other machines like them that aren't on the network. The other example he gives is Simone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

It doesn't, because that requires there to exist even a microsecond where someone is left at Caim's mercy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I think so. If I remember correctly, the Forest Kingdom is first introduced by Pascal when asked if there's any other machines like them that aren't on the network. The other example he gives is Simone.

So if you disconnect from the network, 1/3rd end up a crazed android-wearing monstrosity, 1/3rd end up as a fanatic feudalistic kingdom with a baby for a ruler and 1/3rd end up like Pascal.

Given those odds, maybe machines shouldn't disconnect from the network...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

axeil posted:

So if you disconnect from the network, 1/3rd end up a crazed android-wearing monstrosity, 1/3rd end up as a fanatic feudalistic kingdom with a baby for a ruler and 1/3rd end up like Pascal.

Now now, you're assuming there's an equal chance for all three.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh neat, it was actually one of the robo-brothers. I actually got something right in this game!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

It doesn't, because that requires there to exist even a microsecond where someone is left at Caim's mercy.

Does being the last one left in a slaughter at his hands count? There has to be time between the last few guys he killed and you after all.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Argas posted:

Now now, you're assuming there's an equal chance for all three.

Yeah, there's a whole loving lot more machines in the Forest Kingdom than there are in Pascal's village.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Yeah, there's a whole loving lot more machines in the Forest Kingdom than there are in Pascal's village.
Well, there was.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

axeil posted:

I mean, it's not like the forest machines are any worse than the machines that are on the network. That's really more of a lateral move. And hey, Pascal's village has way more machines than one Simone, so it seems like a pretty good deal.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

JT Jag posted:

Well, there was.

Fair point.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I bet the Forest Boys are pretty chill when no one is trying to murder their godking. Just larpin' around.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They were getting ready to invade Pascal's village.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes but really they were just trying to kill Jean Paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Eesh, imagine Jean Paul and Adam holding a philosophy debate.

The Dark Id posted:

The newly shirt wearing man-machine also form a giant a massive cube and just toss that sonuvabitch in 2B’s direction.

Adam will outright defect Gatling fire back at 2B.

"can also form"?

• Locked thread