Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I will explain it.

In the original SNES version, Cerya gets captured. The guy who captures her says something questionable after he casts a binding spell, just before you walk into the scene to rescue her. In the PSP version, what he says is less questionable and his personality is developed a bit more.

Andyzero was basically assuming that everything you don't see happened the same way in all routes, except you weren't there. Which is an odd thing to think considering how radically the game changes based on route, but yeah.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it comes up later. he just jumped the gun for some reason.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:ohdear:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efei6R5oKOQ

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What did you do.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Either grinded too much or chaos frame is a son of a bitch.

Edit: Also loyalty took a major hit for that unit because we are on the law path and that unit is chaotic.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP COMMANDER

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Weeelp... time for a new friend!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
So, quick tip.

Leveling skills gives massive loyalty to a character (enough to get them from I'm leaving to I'm a wee bit pissed, but ok)

If you're worried about losing a particular unit, get a skill close to level up (usually weapons) and then finish the level up after the choice is made.

This is particularly useful for the Neutral route for one particular person.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Roobanguy posted:

it comes up later. he just jumped the gun for some reason.

Oh dang, I am too soon. Sorry. It will come up, though; and for some reason, it's only in the Timeline (what becomes "The World"), you don't see it just playing.

Edit: I'm dumb, and I corrected myself before someone replied, sorry.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 12, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

I didn't jump the gun, go to the menu to the Timeline (I'm not sure what it's called now, it becomes "The World" after you beat the game once), it's a "disconnected" cutscene. You will only see it if you select it there.

You probably should have just mentioned that he go to the menu and look it up, rather than talking about the scene itself.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Even then, it is still to soon; I screwed up again.

I'm just excited people are Let's Playing this.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You usually get a big red letters "low loyalty" before that.

One of the many mechanics I hate about this game.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I love this post, and this movie.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You usually get a big red letters "low loyalty" before that.

One of the many mechanics I hate about this game.

Nothing of the sort sadly. No warning, just straight up "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out"

I had decided I wanted to grind a little to bump up the levels after the difficult fights at the end of the last chapter. Did one fight in the wildwood and that popped up and she left, I checked the loyalty of everyone else and they weren't far behind her.

It's ok though!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So....pretty....can't....thiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg......

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

tithin posted:

I love this post, and this movie.

Nothing of the sort sadly. No warning, just straight up "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out"

I had decided I wanted to grind a little to bump up the levels after the difficult fights at the end of the last chapter. Did one fight in the wildwood and that popped up and she left, I checked the loyalty of everyone else and they weren't far behind her.

It's ok though!

I'm not going to lie, the loyalty mechanic made me quit the game.

I'm legitimately not sure why firing on people who attack your team decrease loyalty (yes I get the whole chaos frame thing) but it's pretty bad!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Real talk, if you are playing through the game for the first time and you are worried about loyalty or hate the loyalty mechanic there are a few ways to get around it.

Don't massacre everyone when you do story levels
Fairly self explanatory. Your loyalty drops when your unit strikes the killing blow on an enemy unit of the same faction.

Equip the anatomy skill
Most enemies you fight will be human, especially during the main story line. This all changes post game, but there are still a lot of enemies where anatomy will matter. As you increase your rank skill, loyalty goes up by 10 points or so. That's a big jump.

Collect Joker and Lovers tarot cards
They can increase loyalty 1-5 points per card. One or two maps could easily fix your loyalty problems for the rest of the game

Use and abuse the monster/demi-human classes
Dragons are so good. Equip truestrike on them always. Golems are pretty good, also do true strike. Lamia Matriarchs are one of the better magic classes in the game, recruit one. Lizardmen juggernauts are pretty fun to use. Recruit one. Fairy rogues and familiars are interesting to use.

Never recruit a Bakram generic
Pay attention when you recuit or persuade generics. Never take on Bakram since in my opinion there are too many story units that are Bakram and their loyalty will tank. If you ever see the rare generic units from nations we haven't seen named yet, hire them and never worry about loyalty.

Try to avoid having a focused murder team
While having the bare minimum units is far more efficient because they level faster, and you can focus on gaining skills for them faster, it also makes those units death machines, and thus more likely for the power classes to continue to get death blows.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Look I'm no racist but you just can't rely on a Bakrami to hold the line when the time comes to siege a keep. And did you know 90% of all Bakrami males are likely to job change to Terror Knights? Let me send you some scrolls later, I think you'll find them enlightening.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fire Magic can't melt stone keeps

Almorica castle was an inside job

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Duke Ronwey did nothing wrong.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Duke Ronwey must have done something right (well... terribly wrong by most stsndards) that there is only one black person on the entire island.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

First up, I've interspersed a couple of gifs into this post. I've been able to get them below 15 mb.

That being said, I reiterate that I am garbage with image formats, and had to jump through a lot of hoops to create these so I'm not convinced that they're the best quality in the world. If anyone's decent with gifs (I haven't asked Bif!) and knows how to get them to a good file size without making them only viewable by ants, I'd be appreciative.

Episode 3 - Training Montage

Hmm, not good. Time to go BACK IN TIME.

This is my surprised face, Grid.

I said loyalty was bad, I forgot how bad.

At least someone loves me :unsmith:

Ok, we only have one solution to this problem

Ok, now that I'm loved, it's time for a TRAINING MONTAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvpzForHyU

LIVE

TO

WIN

(God I hated this fight)

YEAH

WIN

God I forgot just how long this place was.

I'm going to deeply regret commiting to doing the end game dungeon aren't I

If there's not fanart of our crew emerging from the Wildwoods looking all jacked and crazy, I'll be disappointed.

----------------------

We blow practically all of Levis points into upgrading RAura, Knockback and Counterattack to 2. Constitution can be upgraded in a level giving us more HP. Hammers levelled up to skill 2 so gives us a finishing move. This will be demonstrated.. in the future.

Kilmotos gets up to 8 talents learned.

Lenneth gets a few upgrades, now at 9 rows. Just one more to go.

Martine opens up all of her talent rows, invests in knockback / counterattack 2, resistance 1 and resist shackle. That should be resist stun, on reflection. whoops.

Canopus opens up Knockback 2, all 10 of his slots, and Draconology.

Because gently caress dragons.

Donnalto is a loving Ninja. He levelled his Katana skill in like 4 maps from level 8 against level 12s.

We've given him some defences for want of better to invest in.

----------------------

: I'd sooner be back in Brigantys, m'self.

: Quit your griping. We have a patrol to finish.

: What is it brings you out all this way, lord commander?

: I'm no lord. Just a common soldier, like yourselves. I was ordered to hold Brigantys, and this I have done.

The Knight looking like he's trying to make up his mind to say something or not.

Hektor's having none of the man's pity, and cuts across him before he finishes talking.

: Rouse yourselves! The enemy is upon us!

----------------------

Enemy Composition:

Madura Drift

Condition(s): Kill Hektor.

Yellow
Hektor (Knight)
H. Warrior x2
H. Knight
H. Archer x2
H. Wizard x2
H. Cleric

Snipette slams the frontmost soldier who just wanted to go to a warm fire for 60 odd damage.

: I am Levi Pavel of the Order of Emptyquote.

: The Butcher of Golyat. Your infamies precede you. You're to be commended. Few Walister have tread so deep into these lands. But you'll not reach Brigantys on our watch!

Asides from the general levels, Nerraw also picked up five int cards in the wildwood.

Martine learns how to dodge a bit better :toot:

There's not much to Hektor, he's an offensive knight without the stats to back it. He doesn't heal, he doesn't have Rampart Aura, he'll just melee.

He's supposed to use Phalanx a lot, but he didn't at all :shrug:

Geriatric climbs a mountain to assassinate another geriatric.

Enemy archer takes a shot at Kilmotos, who now scoffs at arrows.

Kilmotos also scoffs at swords.

First enemy knight falls.

Voltare maces Hektor away & a bunch of our dudes get stunned.

Donnalto straight up murders a Wizard in cold blood.

Enemy warrior gets tag teamed to near death

Kilmotos deigns to take a hit.

Enemy warrior got tag teamed to death.

Hektor gets pushed away by Levi this time.

Nice

It's fancy!

NICE

Enemy archer peppers Nerraw.

Nerraw straight up *checks notes* mortally wounds that archer, while Snipette indulges him by finishing the archer off.

: Who are you to question me? How many have you slain, creature of Balbatos!?

: Fair enough. Only think not that all of Galgastan's knights gloried in doing as we were bid. Duty, honor, loyalty...a knight is nothing without these. I could not break the oath I swore to Galgastan.

: Then cast down your sword and surrender! It's Balbatos we're after!

A generous offer.

: No matter how futile my struggle, I'll never surrender. I will not break the vows I swore to my kingdom. I will not bring disgrace upon my house! Fate ordained our meeting.

: To do less than fight to the end is to dishonor those who've fallen!

:smith:

He follows it up by carving into Kilmotos.

"we"

tithin fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 16, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A recurring character without his own portrait? How odd.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You know, I've played Law several times (ever since I grew a pair and realized just how much better it is then Chaos, all for the low low price of one genocide), and I've never actually managed to lose a unit or even get a warning.

I have gotten a warning on Chaos from an L unit hilariously enough, but even then I managed to quickly fix that.

I don't know if it's luck or what.

Most of my loyalty problems came in post-game when my CF started getting crazy high without me even trying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's a big place. Is that supposed to replace lining up and beating hell out of your own party again and again for "training"?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That fight you just did in the original has no human units.

It's just a SHITLOAD of dragons. Who aren't particularly dangerous, but take FOREVER to kill.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

Wow, that's a big place. Is that supposed to replace lining up and beating hell out of your own party again and again for "training"?

yes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FairGame posted:

That fight you just did in the original has no human units.

It's just a SHITLOAD of dragons. Who aren't particularly dangerous, but take FOREVER to kill.

Six dragon's and a gremlin

They kept cycling tp moves and shackle kept breaking after one round

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Brainwashing everyone into loving you? I approve.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 4 - Scaling the Wall

Best of my knowledge, route taken has gently caress all impact.

Condition(s): Kill Kakrinoros.

Yellow
Kakrinoros (Wizard)
W. Archer x2
W. Rune Fencer
H. Rune Fencer
H. Cleric
H. Archer x2
H. Knight x2
H. Warrior x2

Donnalto picked up a few new Ninja skills. That's the flavour text for Benumb, which has a chance to Stun on Melee hit.

You mean the ones that decide to fly down to hit us better? Yeah, I'm worried about those archers too.

I also picked up some new skills for Kilmotos.

The Knights are annoying because they're on endless sandbag mode.

Our initial foray isn't to our advantage terrain wise. We're having to climb some steep steps so our casters are doing poorly in keeping up.

:wom:

These guys are going HAM on Donnalto and they're just doing nothing to him.

Lenneth finishes off the weakened knight.

To be clear, that was the boss casting that.

Snipette's not bothered to climb the stairs.

Yeah we outscale this place a little bit.

Lil bit.

Lil more now :greenangel:

Oh yeah, one of the archers ran away again.

Nerraw contributes too.

Enemy boss decides to cure his Warriors stun as opposed to fighting.

He ran away so we can't hit him anymore, sadly.

I love pushing people off high places in this game. If they don't have wings they just take a fuckton of damage and die.

This is the Tier 1 Katana finishing move in action.

It's pretty garbage, even at 200tp with baller gear and overlevelling the enemy. Decent enough to finish off people but nothing you'd whip out as a "this thing dies now" like archers have.

HEALBOT gets a reward for her loyalty :unsmith:

There's no escape from justice.

gently caress it, it can rot. Too far away.

----------

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsrjN1i8pbk :siren:

I don't have the energy tonight to paste in the figureheads, and I apparently lack the avatar for Briam the Elder, so please watch the video and I will do it later.

HEKTOR: Do that, and you sign your own writ of execution. His eminence tasked us with this castle's defense! By the honor of House Didarro, we will defeat these interlopers and stop their advance here. Or have you lost your courage so soon!

KNIGHT: But our dungeon holds scores of men who want nothing more than to see Galgastan fall! Should they join forces with the Walister -

HEKTOR: It shall not come to pass! We won't allow it! Consider that our enemy has fought across harsh, unfamiliar terrain outside our walls. They are fatigued. We will draw them inside the castle and finish them! Did you not wonder why I kept our forces from the field? Do you understand nothing of what I say!?

BRIAM: If you are a knight of this house for true, you will follow your liege's orders with all due-obedience.

KNIGHT: Yes, m'lord!

BRIAM: You have it, and the pride of House Didarro as well.

HEKTOR: Praise of which I am unworthy, in truth.

BRIAM: No, it is I who should apologize. I'm sending you to your death.

BRIAM: Doubtlessly, they seek to take this castle and use it to launch an assault upon the weakly defended flanks of Coritanae. You see, this is their main force. The rabble at Psonji are no more than a feint. A clever, if reckless, stratagem...and yet, this may just give them a hope of toppling the heirophant.

HEKTOR: If it will mean an end to this conflict, then my life is a small price to pay. The castle is yours, father. I leave her charges, and Galgastan, in your hands.

:smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

Best of my knowledge, route taken has gently caress all impact.

[b]Condition(s): Kill Kakrinoros.

I always love how the most important soldier on the enemy team is always decided by whoever sasses you before the fight begins.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Noooooooo you gotta do the other battle and have Canopus in your party. The banter in that battle is some of my favorite in the whole game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I always love how the most important soldier on the enemy team is always decided by whoever sasses you before the fight begins.

A byproduct of rank in the Galgastani army being determined by rap battle.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

Noooooooo you gotta do the other battle and have Canopus in your party. The banter in that battle is some of my favorite in the whole game.

Well....I'd say there's a few better ones, but yes there is some fun dialogue if you took the other route.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He even gets a "well gosh now I feel bad" cutscene! Did they forget to give this Hektor guy a portrait? Sheesh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We refuse to ask for help defending this stronghold and its inherent pile of enemy reinforcements because HONOR!

Whoof. Well, I suppose given the choice between honor and rampant backstabs I'd rather have honor.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

Just played through it and there's no additional dialogue, it's not in the script either

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Just played through it and there's no additional dialogue, it's not in the script either

Huh.

Maybe we're thinking of Chapter 4?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 5 - Alt. Scaling the Wall & The Fall of House Didaro

waah posted:

WRONG GAME

So yeah, old mate Bingham.

Didn't say anything.

hosed around for 20 rounds or something, just letting him smash us with Finishing moves, only using Canopus to attack and letting his cleric heal before I decided to end it.

Absolutely nothing. Sorry bud.

The Fall of The House of Diddaro

We've breached the inner walls of Brigantys castle and fought our way into its great hall.

Condition(s): Kill Hektor.

Yellow
Hektor (Knight)
H. Archer x4
H. Berserker x2
H. Terror Knight x2
H. Cleric
H. Wizard x2

This will be a short fight. There's not a lot of room between our two parties.

How fortuitous that these captives are in the way we chose to sneak.

They sting like flies, we bite like lions.

they don't hold up well to our assault

And what assaults they manage, we discard entirely.

Their healers try, and do a decent effort at it too.

Another berserker falls.

Donnalto is a machine now. Between having a sky high block chance, and a sky high crit chance, he just straight up murders people.

Again, that'll change by the end of the game, in the post game things scale in level to your team and are outfitted appropriately - right now we're overlevelled and overgeared so are just brute forcing our way through.

The enemies ranks are collapsing.

Hektor gets his first action of the battle.

And continue to collapse

We get a crit on the healer and leave him with 1 hp. Unfortunately this pushes him out of range from the second attack.

Nerraw picks up the slack and lands a stone for 1 hp on a 24% chance to hit :toot:

Lenneth gets a kicking thanks to Rending Gale.

I just wanted the card.

This assault was surgical. Time for the pièce de résistance

: You are not the first Didarro I have met this day.

: ...

I choose option 2 here. Jeunan is required for Ravness and another character down the track.

: What wrong have they done us? We are not the Resistance of old.

: Our quarrel is not with the people of Galgastan. The generations-long conflict between your clan and ours never was!

: Always it has been men with power, men such as the heirophant and the duke, who throw their people at one another to further their own amibitions.

: It is not the Galgastani who must answer for this bloodshed...it is Balbatos and his ilk.

: ...

Say hello to Jeunan the Wyrmslayer, and farewell to Briam the Elder.

Jeunan's fast - he has a faster RT than Canopus for reference, and is on par with Lanselot v1.0. Spears are wasted on him. Might take him into axes because we don't have a good axe user.

Dragoons are the answer to Beasts / Dragons. They learn an activated skill (see: Mighty Blow, Tremendous Shot, etc) that, from memory, can be used by most classes that amplifies damage done to beasts. Consequently most of our damage dealers are going to be going through Dragoon at some point to pick that skill up .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Huh.

Maybe we're thinking of Chapter 4?

I expect you are. There's one fight in particular I recall from the Chaos timeline with Mirdyn and his other white knight friend against Oz and Ozma that cracked me up the first time I went through