Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
praxis
Aug 1, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'm amazed you have a station cool enough to play prince

here if it's not gospel, contemporary christian, neo-fascist talk radio, or country, it's the one station that plays nothing but foreigner and journey with an occasional eagles tune to break up the monotony

What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in Birmingham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Allen Wren posted:

Nah. This is just the evolved version of the AOR radio format that emerged in the late seventies to halt and nearly eliminate progressive FM. The businesspeople that actually owned the stations realized that they don't need to bother playing the cool and good and weird stuff, people want to hear the hits. So if something's a hit (or about to be one) and they play it every hour or two, they're connecting that hit to the audience more often than they would if they were more well-rounded. This increases listenership and makes the station more advertising money. Most people listening to the radio are hearing it for fifteen minutes in a building or maybe an hour in traffic, apart from the dweebs stuck at their job with a radio on that their boss won't let them turn off. So they make sure that that listening window is as full of hits as possible.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

but it's a girl group! you have to like them

Semi-related: over the last ten years, my regular rotation has become more and more female-heavy, to the extent that my current regular rotation has maybe one male-fronted band in it. Not through any intentional engineering on my part; it just seems like more and more female-fronted bands are doing weird experimental stuff that I'm drawn to. I mean there's always been female acts doing cool weirdness, but it just seems like there are SO MANY right now and the dudes are just not doing much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Same but mostly just Anneke fronted DTP songs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Trig Discipline posted:

Semi-related: over the last ten years, my regular rotation has become more and more female-heavy, to the extent that my current regular rotation has maybe one male-fronted band in it. Not through any intentional engineering on my part; it just seems like more and more female-fronted bands are doing weird experimental stuff that I'm drawn to. I mean there's always been female acts doing cool weirdness, but it just seems like there are SO MANY right now and the dudes are just not doing much.

I'm cool with women heavy bands but hate when they treat that as a selling point.

For example,
good: Women doing black metal vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ5RcmqHKKg

bad: fake tits in front of the fetal alcohol syndrome version of in flames' newer stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurkREc-q4I

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Babes in Toyland had a good drummer.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
this turned up for local sale recently and I regret that I don't have enough cum in my balls to play it

note the additional bolted on bits of mirror right where your hand rests above the bridge, incorrectly installed floyd nuts and that incredible tuner configuration

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That Floyd looks like it isn't routed at all and is just sitting on the top. Am I looking at it wrong, or is it extreme cargo cult engineering?
I'm also a fan of the extremely out-of-place Danelectro headstock and the much-too-round fretboard radius. That thing really is a visual feast.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd play that at my local acoustic open mic night

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What the gently caress is up with the intonation? First five saddles look kinda ok then the sixth is hanging out on it's own all the way at the back, like that one kid on the schoolbus who puked and poo poo all over himself.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
i'd venture a guess that the intonation isn't set up

ok I just realised it's the signature of the guy from Loudness so all is forgiven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCpPpPCW4c

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I suspect that may not be a genuine esp

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That's a lot more faithful than I was expecting. EDIT: I had no idea that the market was big enough for Chinese knockoffs. Not going to link to where you can buy one, obviously.

Lots of photos of the real deal here.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 16, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

they're basically a machine learning algorithm that was fed only 80s and 90s adult contemporary radio playlists

if i'm getting a dental checkup i'd rather hear that than ed sheeran or lumineers or whatever

On the topic of Ed Sheeran the song "castle on the hill" by Ed Sheeran came on the radio the other day (and every other day) and I realised what a subtle humblebrag it is.
The last verse of the song is about what a pitiful tragedy it is that all Ed's friends grew up to have normal, non-world-touring-rockstar lives:

Two work regular jobs, selling clothes and something near the coast - oh no!

Ones on his second wife - (how scandalous, he had a divorce, and then remarried. Let me tut disapprovingly like a 1950's housewife)

Then he goes 'But these people raised me and I can't wait to go home'

"But"? So he saying that in *spite* of their obvious shortcomings, Ed is still looking forward to going home and gracing these sad working class pricks with his presence again anyway. Because he's nice like that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol dude painted a loving gay lion on his chest like some sort of god damned r-word I don't think he gets to tell me anything about how money doesn't buy you happiness or something.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I for one would really like a job near the sea, up yours Sheeran

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
But ideally not on an oil rig

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i've never actually heard any ed sheeran songs

or lumineers for that matter

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i've never actually heard any ed sheeran songs

or lumineers for that matter

Ever listened to Crowbar?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ever listened to Crowbar?

well yeah but i don't think they're the same thing

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

peter gabriel posted:

But ideally not on an oil rig

You make a boatload of money and get to work 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

poo poo, why aren't I working on the rigs?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Coohoolin posted:

An old coworker of mine used to work on them in the gulf sometimes doing automation repairs but once he had to go up to alaska to fix something and they gave him bright orange jumpsuit just before getting on the helicopter. He asked why it was high vis, as in the south they give you whatever color they have laying around. The other guy gruffly said "eh, the water's below freezing, you'll die in five minutes anyway. Helps to find the body when you can't flail around asking for help."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Spanish Manlove posted:

An old coworker of mine used to work on them in the gulf sometimes doing automation repairs but once he had to go up to alaska to fix something and they gave him bright orange jumpsuit just before getting on the helicopter. He asked why it was high vis, as in the south they give you whatever color they have laying around. The other guy gruffly said "eh, the water's below freezing, you'll die in five minutes anyway. Helps to find the body when you can't flail around asking for help."

I reckon the Northeast of Scotland is maybe a teensy bit safer than the Alaskan gulf.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I've been looking at Reverend guitars a lot. Pretty sure my next guitar is gonna be one(leaning towards a Warhawk 390 model). I keep seeing these while shopping and it makes me think of this thread

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Coohoolin posted:

See now I'm well up for it

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now not so much

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt posted:

So I've been looking at Reverend guitars a lot. Pretty sure my next guitar is gonna be one(leaning towards a Warhawk 390 model). I keep seeing these while shopping and it makes me think of this thread

I think these look fresh as hell tho

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

they should've called this paint job "taking acid at rick nielsen's house"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

That's a Bill Bussman, the guy who makes Old Wave, so it's probably an amazing sounding instrument, but lol. "Melondolin".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

but it's a girl group! you have to like them
Sleater-Kinney getting back together three years ago made me happy in ways I didn't think would be possible. Carrie Brownstein is the bomb.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Sleater-Kinney getting back together three years ago made me happy in ways I didn't think would be possible. Carrie Brownstein is the bomb.

No, no she is most certainly not. SK are cool and Wild Flag, too, but she is fuckin yikes.

edit: fight me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, ok? I was just going by her live performances. I don't know much about her aside from that and her Portlandia show (which isn't my bag).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wark Say posted:

Uh, ok? I was just going by her live performances. I don't know much about her aside from that and her Portlandia show (which isn't my bag).

DIB has some kind of hate bone-on, because this is the second time they've gone in on her in this thread. Who knows.

I've seen her twice and she's genuinely great - one of the few guitarists I can recognise just from phrasing alone, and the development in her style over the course of SK is ridiculous. I'm not too fussed about the new record but The Woods is the full package for me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Oh she just sucks as a person but she rocks as a rock person.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
figures you gotta be lovely on some level to tolerate fred armisen

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've learned to disassociate music from the performer to a good degree especially after one too many letdowns with some of the people who's music I dig/dug in the past. Curiously enough, two of my biggest idols, Slash and Ian MacKaye, turned-out to be decent dudes. So, when I said that Carrie Brownstein is "the bomb", I meant that as a performer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Brownstein and Armisen are both great based on some tv appearances and Portlandia. I don't like Sleater Kinney though, they're boring. Other than that I don't have any reason to dislike her. What makes her so lovely?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Brownstein and Armisen are both great based on some tv appearances and Portlandia. I don't like Sleater Kinney though, they're boring. Other than that I don't have any reason to dislike her. What makes her so lovely?

She organized and financed the WTC attacks, unless I have her confused with someone else.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

^^^The very one!!!

Wark Say posted:

I've learned to disassociate music from the performer to a good degree especially after one too many letdowns with some of the people who's music I dig/dug in the past. Curiously enough, two of my biggest idols, Slash and Ian MacKaye, turned-out to be decent dudes. So, when I said that Carrie Brownstein is "the bomb", I meant that as a performer.

Yea im also a petty bitch waddya gonna do, ya know?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Dirt posted:

this guitar is what a migraine looks like, i legit feel very mildly nauseous looking at this

so yeah buy it definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Trig Discipline posted:

She organized and financed the WTC attacks, unless I have her confused with someone else.

The feminists strike again!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread