Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded of a BTAS episode which stated/implied that Gordon could probably find out Batman's identity with some investigation if he really wanted to, but deliberately doesn't so as to maintain plausible deniability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The White Portugese thing is a good example of Bruce being too clever by half.
Do you mean his assumption that it's a person?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Reminded of a BTAS episode which stated/implied that Gordon could probably find out Batman's identity with some investigation if he really wanted to, but deliberately doesn't so as to maintain plausible deniability.

There was also the Barbara on fear drugs episode that implied hes known all along and was cool with this daughter fighting crime alongside Batman.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching BvS today and have a question. Did Diana know that Bruce Wayne was Batman or know that something was up with him?
The impression I got watching the movie is that she picked up the radio chatter between Bats an Alfred and decided to follow him to check it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Apollo posted:

Do you mean his assumption that it's a person?

Alfred figures it out in like two seconds but Bruce is so toy oriented that he figures he needs to bust out the mass spectrometer to hunt for clues. Lois is a far better detective just by doing her job.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I do hope when Gordon is introduced in Justice League, his first line is "Hey Bruce what's up."

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I kind of assumed her being like a thousand years old and living among man for a hundred years allowed her a lot of time to research stuff. If Bruce Wayne is a famous rich dude I'd assume Diana recognized him. It is the same reason she didn't appear to look twice at Clark.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Groetgaffel posted:

The impression I got watching the movie is that she picked up the radio chatter between Bats an Alfred and decided to follow him to check it out.
I was thinking about that too but I don't know if "super hearing" is supposed to be one of her abilities.

After Lex finishes his speech and Diana walks away and Bruce starts to go after her but is stopped by Clark, I assume that was simply a "must hit on pretty girl" thing and nothing more. He even says something like that to Clark. I mean how could he suspect anything about her?

Alfred figures it out in like two seconds but Bruce is so toy oriented that he figures he needs to bust out the mass spectrometer to hunt for clues. Lois is a far better detective just by doing her job.
Yeah Bruce is fixated on it being a guy trying to smuggle a dirty bomb into Gotham. Alfred says something like "maybe it's a woman or maybe it's not a person and is simply a phantasm".

I assume that's supposed to tie into his "I've been doing this for 20 years and don't give a gently caress anymore" attitude. Diana and Clark seem to be motivated by a sense of "doing the right thing" but Bruce is motivated by a sense of revenge and also that this is all he knows.

Kelly posted:

I kind of assumed her being like a thousand years old and living among man for a hundred years allowed her a lot of time to research stuff. If Bruce Wayne is a famous rich dude I'd assume Diana recognized him. It is the same reason she didn't appear to look twice at Clark.
Right, but I mean the party was full of famous rich people. I was just wondering why she only seems to look at him and knew to follow him. How else would she have found the drive and know it belonged to Bruce?

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 16, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I assume that's supposed to tie into his "I've been doing this for 20 years and don't give a gently caress anymore" attitude. Diana and Clark seem to be motivated by a sense of "doing the right thing" but Bruce is motivated by a sense of revenge and also that this is all he knows.
Right, but I mean the party was full of famous rich people. I was just wondering why she only seems to look at him and knew to follow him. How else would she have found the drive and know it belonged to Bruce?

ITT we put more work into BvS than BvS did

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dont even fink about it posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

:jerkbag:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McSpanky posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

I've got ten million murdered Ukrainians on line one.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend Joseph Stalin or the end of the NEP those are bad things. But even the Kiev Court of Appeals, a somewhat biased source, pegged it at somewhat less than 4 million dead in the 30s famine and 6 million fewer births, a commonly used measure to inflate "casualties" under communist regimes when using demographic reconstruction to estimate death totals. That's still an awful number, but the causes of that famine, and of virtually all famines, are common to all centralized food distribution systems - for example, around half a million people died in the 1892 Volga famine, and not because inadequate calorie yields had been produced. Overall famine deaths relative to population were actually somewhat higher in the Russian Empire in the century prior to the Revolution than in the period of Soviet rule, discounting deaths under Nazi occupation. In the same period, a series of extremely similar famines were sweeping British India, resulting in at least 15 million deaths in areas directly ruled by the Empire and an unknown but probably roughly equal number in allied Princedoms, between 1850 and 1900. The Stalinist collectivization employed almost identical centralized food distribution tactics to the Russian and British Empires - with the same result, mass death of food producers and especially rural trade workers reliant on surpluses sold at local markets. All the while, centrally collected surpluses were being exported or stored for military use in quantities sufficient to prevent any deaths at all.

Which is to say that all these things are incredible atrocities, but not unique features of the Soviet system, even the degraded worker's state under Stalin, while the rapid gains in life expectancy, standard of living, educational attainment, and decrease in income inequality between 1920 and 1990 are not qualities shared with the Tsarist or neoliberal regimes that bookend it.

The dismantling of the Soviet healthcare system post 1990 has already resulted in ~1-2 million excess deaths in Russia, I don't have any data on the rest of the USSR but it's probably a similar proportion. If we apply the Kiev Court Holodomor standard and count birth decreases as "casualties" then the population of the USSR was increasing at a bit under 1% per annum in the 80s, and the population of the former Soviet states has increased by ~1 million in the subsequent quarter century, which makes a difference of ~50 million. We can play these kinds of demographic games with every regime, and the results are almost never flattering. In the long, bloody, depressing history of Central Eurasia, the Soviet period was a relative bright spot.

He solves or attempts to solve every single problem throughout the movie with an action figure accessory.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

DeimosRising posted:

He solves or attempts to solve every single problem throughout the movie with an action figure accessory.

All he was missing was the shark repellent and we'd have had a full set.

I'm still sore they never made a busted-armor spear-wielding version of the figure. All I see is vaporware/scalped customs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 16, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Makes sense that the fight in the warehouse involves him using up or shedding his gadgets one by one, and fighting increasingly just with his skills and physicality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah Bruce is fixated on it being a guy trying to smuggle a dirty bomb into Gotham. Alfred says something like "maybe it's a woman or maybe it's not a person and is simply a phantasm".

His tendency in the film is to arrive at a conclusion and work backward to prove it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

His tendency in the film is to arrive at a conclusion and work backward to prove it.

it's a fun variation on the 'batman always has a plan' meme, dude had the whole confrontation with superman mapped out in his mind but clark goes off-script for one second and bruce's entire internal narrative falls apart and he doesn't know what to do until lois shows up

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The last 3-4 appearances of Batman on film have convinced me the only humor these films should attempt is making fun of Batman.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The last 3-4 appearances of Batman on film have convinced me the only humor these films should attempt is making fun of Batman.

Hopefully Matt Reeves gets it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The most realistic take on a super-detective yet.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Huh, yeah I can see that. Alfred keeps dropping hints throughout the movie about not acting on impulse and to think things through first.

Was the final exchange between Steve and Diana supposed to mirror the final exchange between Superman and Lois or was that coincidental and just a standard "goodbye before I sacrifice myself to stop a threat" talk?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was the final exchange between Steve and Diana supposed to mirror the final exchange between Superman and Lois or was that coincidental and just a standard "goodbye before I sacrifice myself to stop a threat" talk?

Given the relative simpleness of the rest of Wonder Woman, I think it was just standard sacrifice/goodbye chat. Give WW a reason to go Super Saiyan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm pretty sure is heavily implied the dirty bomb thing was just a lie Bruce told Alfred and that from the start Bruce was on the track of the Kryptonite.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm pretty sure is heavily implied the dirty bomb thing was just a lie Bruce told Alfred and that from the start Bruce was on the track of the Kryptonite.

Nah, it's a little weirder than that. He knows Luthor is bringing something in, however, he doesn't know what until he decodes the files he got off the Russian's phone (that actor, by the way, is in loving everything) but, weirdly, soon before the decryption finishes, he hallucinates the possible future where he's after the kryptonite, only to be tricked with a green lightbulb. So he knows what he's after in a dream before he actually finds out.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I thought so too. Haven't watched the movie in a while though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If I had the software, I'd make a gif of the gag of Batman looking for the UP elevator button from the Adam West movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, it's a little weirder than that. He knows Luthor is bringing something in, however, he doesn't know what until he decodes the files he got off the Russian's phone (that actor, by the way, is in loving everything) but, weirdly, soon before the decryption finishes, he hallucinates the possible future where he's after the kryptonite, only to be tricked with a green lightbulb. So he knows what he's after in a dream before he actually finds out.

Right, Lex has two parallel plans to lure him into stealing the kryptonite: invite Bruce Wayne over to his lab for a tour, and leak that someone named "The White Portuguese" is bringing a dirty bomb into Gotham. It's Batman that finds out about it, because he's total checked out of being Bruce Wayne.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Right, Lex has two parallel plans to lure him into stealing the kryptonite: invite Bruce Wayne over to his lab for a tour, and leak that someone named "The White Portuguese" is bringing a dirty bomb into Gotham. It's Batman that finds out about it, because he's total checked out of being Bruce Wayne.

That was the best, if he'd had simply dropped by for that "collaboration" he wouldn't have had to 'leech' Lex Luthor's home network OR blow up half the docks and LexCorp's research facility.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note also that when Bruce hacked Lex's home network he only found the exact stuff that Lex needed him to find (there's a way to kill the Superman .... also there's more of these freaks out there!) but not the rest of Lex's schemes (Doomsday, the fact that Lex had been monitoring and manipulating Bruce and Clark for ages, etc etc.). Lex's party was just a front so that he could spoonfeed the info to Bruce because the goddamn Batman was completely failing to figure things out in time.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Snowman_McK posted:

After the drive finishes decrypting and Bruce has the dream within a dream sequence he wakes up and searches for "White Portuguese" on the drive (this is before he looks in the meta human directory bit).

The next scene has him telling Alfred that the White Portuguese is actually a ship. Then Alfred tells Bruce that even though he's been practicing the art of deception since the age of 7 he can still tell when Bruce is lying to him and he calls Bruce out on the dirty bomb thing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note also that when Bruce hacked Lex's home network he only found the exact stuff that Lex needed him to find (there's a way to kill the Superman .... also there's more of these freaks out there!) but not the rest of Lex's schemes (Doomsday, the fact that Lex had been monitoring and manipulating Bruce and Clark for ages, etc etc.). Lex's party was just a front so that he could spoonfeed the info to Bruce because the goddamn Batman was completely failing to figure things out in time.

Hmmm. That also explains the bit where Bruce is talking to Alfred about having to sneak into Alex's house since that's where the Russian's cell phone data is being transmitted. Alfred says "no need, you've been invited to a party". And it explains why Clark was invited. Perry says something like "looks like you have a mysterious benefactor".

Lex already knows who Diana really is because of his facial recognition software and we see the files he has on her and she was invited to the party. He knows who Clark really is (presumably because of the same software) so he kidnaps his mom. He must therefore know who Bruce really is too.

I never thought about this before and a bunch of stuff makes sense now; like Lex's lack of a reaction when the Kryptonite is stolen from his labs. It's exactly what he wanted to happen.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 17, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hmmm. That also explains the bit where Bruce is talking to Alfred about having to sneak into Alex's house since that's where the Russian's cell phone data is being transmitted. Alfred says "no need, you've been invited to a party". And it explains why Clark was invited. Perry says something like "looks like you have a mysterious benefactor".

Lex already knows who Diana really is because of his facial recognition software and we see the files he has on her and she was invited to the party. He knows who Clark really is (presumably because of the same software) so he kidnaps his mom. He must therefore know who Bruce really is too.

I never thought about this before and a bunch of stuff makes sense now; like Lex's lack of a reaction when the Kryptonite is stolen from his labs. It's exactly what he wanted to happen.

Lex had also been sending clipped articles about the Wayne Towers deaths to Bruce with YOU LET THEM DIE scribbled over them and in the extended version we find out that he'd also been sending newspaper clippings about Batman's violence to Clark.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Lois was the only one to figure out on her own that she'd been manipulated by Lex when she tracked down the origins of the ammo from the Africa incident.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lex had also been sending clipped articles about the Wayne Towers deaths to Bruce with YOU LET THEM DIE scribbled over them and in the extended version we find out that he'd also been sending newspaper clippings about Batman's violence to Clark.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Lois was the only one to figure out on her own that she'd been manipulated by Lex when she tracked down the origins of the ammo from the Africa incident.
Right, looking back in it Lex has known for a long time who they both really were.

Yeah, once Lois finds out the bullets were produced by Lex Corp and that the whole thing was a setup to frame Superman (the lady from the village told them the truth about what happened after she saw the Russian mercenary standing outside her home), she realizes that it's Lex behind it.

There's also the bit when she's at the bombers apartment and sees the fridge full of food and realizes that he didn't know that he was going to die. When she finds out that the wheelchair was lined with lead, so Superman couldn't see the bomb, and made out of the same metal as the bullet she realizes that Lex was behind the Capitol bombing too.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Jesus this is giving me so many flashbacks to that lovely movie. Wonder Woman was supposed to cleanse my mind of those terrible memories, not bring them flooding back!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Jesus this is giving me so many flashbacks to that lovely movie. Wonder Woman was supposed to cleanse my mind of those terrible memories, not bring them flooding back!

:rolleyes: you poor thing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You should get treatment if movies, and their mere discussion, cause you to suffer from aberrant psychological episodes. I'm worried for your brain health.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Whoa sorry I didn't realize exaggeration was verboten in this thread, please return to talking about the six trillion people Stalin murdered with his bare hands.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

If you guys don't stop Diana is going to come in here. She's charging up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

If you guys don't stop Diana is going to come in here. She's charging up.

movie fight?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was originally going to say something about her coming in here to teach us all about the power of love but I realized how that might come across.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was originally going to say something about her coming in here to teach us all about the power of love but I realized how that might come across.

It sounds like you just wanted to honor William Moulton Marston's fetish memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Only one worth telling us about the power of love is Huey Lewis and the News. Everyone else is a fraud.

• Locked thread