Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I was counting Stargazer too. I might be grading that on a bit of a curve since I watched it coming off of SEED Destiny but I do remember genuinely liking it.

08th MS Team has never really worked for me tbh.

I saw Stargazer on its own, and I'd still say it was pretty good. The characters are established quickly, the fights have some give and take, the themes are clear and build to a satisfying conclusion. It's a good little show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Srice posted:

Passive protagonists can be cool because when they finally do something of their own accord it gives that moment more weight. It's very much a case by case sorta deal, I don't find active protagonists inherently more compelling.

For a not great version of this in Gundam we have Saji Crossroad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ethiser posted:

For a not great version of this in Gundam we have Saji Crossroad.

I really liked him before S2 decided his role in the story needed to be entirely different.

Story of most characters in that show, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

burger's just a plot device that says "even so" every time full frontal opens his mouth, but I still liked him more than saji

man that guy sucked

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
To me unicorn is more about the mythology of gundam than being a gundam show itself. That's why I like it so much. That's why it's a Unicorn, and there is a sacred parchment, and char isn't a person as much as he is an idea. It's about the legend of gundam.

If that makes any sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

burger's just a plot device that says "even so" every time full frontal opens his mouth, but I still liked him more than saji

man that guy sucked

Even so!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's one thing to be a mythology piece but it's place alongside other UC shows makes it feel jarring. I can't think of another show in the series that goes so far into presenting itself as a big important "thing/event" as Unicorn, when in practice it's a pretty minor series of skirmishes and a wet fart resolution to the Zeon/Federation conflict.

Apart from episode 4, which I still hold up as one of the best bits of the UC regardless of my feelings on Unicorn as a whole. I loving love that episode.

Also, for anyone who cares, Gundaminfo is also airing ZZ episodes with subtitles now as well.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 15, 2017

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think Unicorn is good as long as you just ignore the existence of Episode 7 and make up your own ending instead.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's one thing to be a mythology piece but it's place alongside other UC shows makes it feel jarring. I can't think of another show in the series that goes so far into presenting itself as a big important "thing/event" as Unicorn, when in practice it's a pretty minor series of skirmishes and a wet fart resolution to the Zeon/Federation conflict.

Apart from episode 4, which I still hold up as one of the best bits of the UC regardless of my feelings on Unicorn as a whole. I loving love that episode.

Also, for anyone who cares, Gundaminfo is also airing ZZ episodes with subtitles now as well.

Episode 4 legit was amazing in every way. Even if the ending was disappointing ep 4 was worth it. I remember tearing up from it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching the new Thunderbolt episode, and does it feel like all the budget went to Daryl's scenes? To me they look noticeably more fluid than Io's fight with the Goufs. Also, are they sticking to the 4 episode seasons, making this the last one before they take a break again?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 15, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they kinda need to be considering io is just falling and firing vulcans the whole episode

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, the child friendly recap at the start of ZZ is hilariously out of place. Char trying and falling to convince children his hyaku shiki is cooler than the zeta.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 15, 2017

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, the child friendly recap at the start of ZZ is hilariously out of place.

Back when I was still going to public anime showings, they played this episode in its entirety. It was not an auspicious beginning for that series.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

'sup

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
There was a bit right at the start of the episode where a Gouf moved into the camera shot and then out, and I will be damned if it didn't look like they just pulled the animation cell out of frame. So jarring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there any Gundam media outside IGLOO which really goes off the deep end of zeon propaganda or outright military glorification? I was reading an article attempting to trace the path of Japanese nationalism in animation from the 1970s to present day. Gundam has always been pretty staunchly anti imperialist but I wonder if some of the shows I haven't watched yet lean more right wing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there any Gundam media outside IGLOO which really goes off the deep end of zeon propaganda or outright military glorification? I was reading an article attempting to trace the path of Japanese nationalism in animation from the 1970s to present day. Gundam has always been pretty staunchly anti imperialist but I wonder if some of the shows I haven't watched yet lean more right wing.

Off the super deep end? No, there's not really any "and then Zeon was right" stuff. What you get a ton of is glorifying the aces on Zeon's side rather than Zeon's cause, which pretty much any given Gundam manga or game has, from Johnny Ridden to Midnight Fenrir. There's a lot of glorification of how brave and noble these guys fighting for a doomed cause were and how cool their robots were. Ridden is one of the closest I think because he's got his weird relationship with Kycilia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, I guess that if you go back to the root (Gundam as a World War II allegory), IBO might kind of qualify - it casts its not-Imperial-Japan faction as the somewhat misguided but noble tragic heroes who didn't know when to quit when they were ahead (interestingly, though, the Douglas MacArthur figure goes on to make the world a significantly better place after grinding them into dust through bribery, treachery, and carefully-applied war crimes and turning their inspirational leader into a puppet).

There's also the nationalist elements of ORB's depiction in Gundam SEED, although that's a little more abstracted from real events.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

From what little I know, MacArthur was a better administrator than general and was pretty instrumental in helping Japan recover after the war. Is that accurate? My main point is, would seem likely Japan has a favorable view of him.

As for teh original question, Gundam Wing has kind of a schizophrenic approach to war. Treize and Dorothy talk it up but Treize is ultimately trying to end war and Dorothy has horrible PTSD and is kind of crazy. What's more, the Wing Boys and their unstoppable death machines ultimately matter far less than Relena and her Total Pacifism Politics.

Ultimately, you could come away from Wing thinking war is pretty cool but maybe you're not supposed to. The tone is maybe purposefully ambivalent?

And Arcsquad12 could you link that article you were reading? Sounds pretty interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

And Arcsquad12 could you link that article you were reading? Sounds pretty interesting.

http://theunion4ever.com/anime-death-march/militarist-resurgence/

It's more than a little tongue in cheek, but he did bring up a good point about how a show like Space Battleship Yamato can be seen as nationalist while also being aware enough that war=bad to not be entirely pro militarization.
I got thinking about it because Yamato and 0079 are fairly contemporary to one another, while Gundam goes for a more global approach to conflict while Yamato remains pretty Japan centric.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I know it was a page ago but I think the fight choreography in 08MS might be middling on purpose as a result of the hero squad being fair to middling pilots overall. None of them are really aces, and they're mostly up against other grunts or the Apsalus until Norris shows up and clowns everyone super hard. Hell, Shiro only wins due to him distracting Norris long enough to club his cockpit in. I don't think any of the fights are particularly boring, really, but if you're expecting clean wins you're looking in the wrong place.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

norris is actually what bothered me the most. he's only shown to be 'good' because the 08th ms team keeps doing very stupid things while he just stands there and ignores them. what if...karen had aimed at his cockpit and fired a bunch of times when he was standing on a roof for 60 seconds

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Norris still accomplished his goal in the end. It doesn’t matter since a GM ices the transport a few minutes later (too bad war sucks).

Plus, “I have found the place where I am to die” is a badass thing to say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I love GMs

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Same, also Type 61s.

Just a reminder, the side that fielded Type 61 MBTs has never lost a war in the UC.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who saw this coming

http://gundam-tb.net/information/index.html

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Norris fight is really not very well done, it has really lovely spatial consistency, the 08th team is portrayed as really plodding and ponderous on top of the aforementioned idiot ball issues, the scene can't make up its mind on whether MSes are heavy, near -indestructible colossi or lightweight nimble things that can't take a hit, and a lot of other poo poo that id actually need to bust out final cut and break it down bit by bit too really get into

They basically had a couple of Cool Moments they wanted to show and reverse engineered the fight to show them off, and it suffers for it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The show peaks around the midway point, goes off a cliff onto a mountainside for one epsiode, then pulls it back together for the next couple episodes before collapsing again around the time of the Gouf fight. Even though the Gouf fight is hit and miss, the overall conclusion of Shuddering Mountain parts 1 and 2 is quite good. Despite missteps, the climax is satisfying.

Or it would have been if the last episode didn't exist. Who thought putting mysterious Flanagan Institute orphans in the last episode was a good idea? Or making the last episode focus on Kiki and loving Michel? Kiki's arc had already concluded, and Michel is just the worst dumbass this side of Kou Uraki.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:same:, and Zakus.

Grunt suit supremacy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zeon so jealous of feddie tanks they stole the name of the Magellan class starships just so they could have their own tank. But no that's not enough, we need to have a turret that can also turn into a helicopter and fire laser beams to show those type 61s who's boss.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

GM D and GM Striker are my powerful and real friends.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like the Jamesgun and Gunblasters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like the Jamesgun and Gunblasters.

I did always feel that the Gunblaster had disappointingly little firepower for something with that name, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The best GM is the RGM-79D Cold Districts GM.

But really, almost every other GM 1.5 is nearly as good.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
For those who don’t know, ZZ is going up on Gundaminfos YouTube page. I just finished Z for the first time in a decade or so and boy, I forgot what tonal whiplash this one is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone know where the BGM in this Gundam Versus video is from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_V2jgaX3M0

I know I've heard it before but I can't seem to place where. I thought it might be from one of the Build Fighters but I couldn't find the track on any of the OST's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

I know I've heard it before but I can't seem to place where. I thought it might be from one of the Build Fighters but I couldn't find the track on any of the OST's.

Given it's the Barbatos Gundam being used, I'd wager it's in Iron Blood Orphans.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

Sounds like original BGM to me. I'm 90% sure that the english release of GVS is going to have original music due to licensing issues.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
they're just not putting in vocal tracks like they did with Vs Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're doing a manga that's just The Last Starfighter but Gundam