Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Haifisch posted:

My Aunt (49f) is pissed I didn't let her daughter [11f] bring my [20f] cookie tray for her bake sale.
Turns out OP had a gem in the comments:

quote:

Her Fb post was a gem. Golden and lovely in the sunlight... walking poetry.

"My niece, who I helped raise, has broken my heart. I asked her months ago to make cookies for [Cousin's] soccer fundraiser. [Cousin] has worked so hard this year and we thought with a professional baker in the family, it would help out greatly. When I arrived, cookies were made, bagged up, and ready to go. I find out that she was willing to give them to someone who isn't family for a party that doesn't even raise money. Someone is eating my daughter's cookies and we have nothing to offer. We gave our word and now we look like idiots. I am ashamed. God bless everyone and keep my niece in your prayers."
A rare glimpse into the mind of an insane person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Turns out OP had a gem in the comments:

A rare glimpse into the mind of an insane person.

there's a bunch

quote:

This is not even the worst thing she did.

She has a son the same age as me. He doesn't talk to her much (wonder why?) but at the time... we were both 11/12. I got a Superman bike for Xmas. It was a really great bike, my dad just thought to go with the cheaper, better end bike. I loving didn't care it was red. I had a bike.

My aunt tried to wheel it into her car and leave the cheaper one behind, because "girls don't like Superman."

It caused issues for months because my aunt thinks denying her anything means we hate her. Thank you Grandma Patterson for making a monster.

fortunately, the other thread in the comments is that absolutely everybody loving hates the aunt so it's not like family's gonna gang up on the poor girl

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

white people

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Jandipoo posted:

I know this is from pages back but I'd like to point out that Walmart (at least the one I work at) gives bonuses to its employees based on low shrink numbers. So basically if you do steal from my store you are stealing money from my pocket and gently caress you.

lol yes let's direct the rage at the peasant stealing and not the feudal lords throwing scraps from the head table that makes a whole lot of sense

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

I think she should keep the necklace, it sounds like she needs an upgrade to her INT and CHA stats

I know this is late, but

She's probably already over the weight limit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Smdh amulet of Mara only reduces the cost of healing spells and doesn't buff any stats (which skyrim doesn't have btw) just lol if you nerds don't even know this basic poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Can't believe that isn't the first Videogame Marriage Amulet Trainwreck this thread has seen.

...Unless I'm mixing up threads. But someone somewhere had a meltdown involving a $250 piece of lovely FFXIII merch.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jandipoo posted:

Starting wage at my store is $11/hr which is significantly more than minwage in my state.

That's cool, whats the cost of living like where you are and how many employees get enough hours to support themselves with benefits and how many are part time?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TIFU by playing with my bird

quote:

Hokay. So here we go. Long time lurker, first time poster. yada yada. And as is tradition, this didnt happen today.

I'm a pet lover. I have a white parakeet and a yellow lab. I first saw my budgie at petco and fell in love with him. I named him Ghost (after jon snows wolf in game of thrones). We bonded pretty quickly, we would whistle and sing at each other constantly. We even had this thing where he would perch on my finger and I would lift him to my mouth and he would 'clean' my teeth kinda like those birds that clean crocs teeth. We would do this regularly. It became a thing for us after I got home from a hard day at work.

Well last week I came home after a particularly lovely day at work, and we did our thing. I was cooing at him while he cleaned my pains away from my mouth, when suddenly my lab sprinted towards me while barking. I have no idea what caused him to do this but it startled me so hard that I bit down while Ghost was doing his thang and straight up guillotined his bird head off. At first I didnt know what happened, I was startled that there was something in my mouth for a few seconds, until I looked down and saw my headless bird.

I loving freaked.

My sister came downstairs thinking I was being murdered, only to find me crying with my lab licking my face.

Took me a while to come to terms with it, but here I am.

TLDR; dont put your pets in your mouth.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that is so loving gross, bird people are insane

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fake news

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
shame that the bitcoin husband poster deleted her reddit account, I'd love to get an update on that now

bubble is looking like it just burst

the proverbial dad going to a convention in vegas in late 1998 and spending 50 grand on beanie babies because they've got to plan for their kids' future

:| there is so many things wrong with the way this person behaved

let's set aside putting your bird in your mouth for a second, and the literally dozens of reasons you should never, ever do that

what the gently caress was your dog doing in the room when your bird was out, you loving idiot? you loving moron?

you have a prey animal as a pet and one of the earliest tasks we selectively bred dogs for was killing birds. dumb! I wonder why your dog just lunged at you and started barking????

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2017

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
holy gently caress, this is brutal :(

Found out about my wife's fling

quote:

Little background. I'm 27 and my wife is 25. Married 3 years, been together for around 6 years. We have a 3 year old. Both have good +60k a year jobs. What I have perceived as a good trusting marriage without much fighting or problems except the occasional dumb poo poo people fight about when you're married. Blah blah blah. In my mind, and from the way I felt that she felt, we have a great relationship.

So a neighbor buddy calls me at around 11pm last night, asking me if i was up and if i could help him push a car up a driveway that he was working on. I get up, get clothes on and then I can't find my phone.

I pick up my wifes phone to call mine, and I see in her call history a bunch of calls and text with a fake name in her phone. Clark Kent, yeah, right? So yeah, I start looking and find out it's her 60 year old boss... who i don't like anyways, because I told her i had a weird vibe about this guy and the way he calls all the time and talks about random non work related poo poo. I've always made her fully aware of this. I always get a "eww gross, guy is older than my dad". This man has taken us to dinner, out for drinks, ect, ect. I know him.

So I know she talks to her boss a lot. It's part of her job. He's the CEO and founder of his multi million dollar business and my wife runs a decent sized department in that business. I don't really want to get to personal about all of this, but my wife's a lot younger than the people she manages and she's good at her job. She's been doing this type of work since she was 16, because her father used to be the same field. It's always an issue she's had to bring up to her boss, because a large group of women in an office is probably a lot like highschool with the bullshit.

But then I see this text.. from this past Wednesday, a night she didn't come home from work until after 8pm, about 3 hours later than she's supposed to get off.

[Text message from 3 days ago] Her: You....

Boss: u what?

Her: should help me catch up... tonight 😉😉

So i start looking back as far as her phone can go, and found a few other things, but two conversations that really punched me in the stomach.

[Text from April 16th]

Her: restaurant name?

Boss: good place

Her: come here 😭

Boss: fiancee's friend works there

Her: Fine, restaurant then?

Her: How does she know you're not with his son?

Her: You need to wear the freaking pants. I do. Just because you leave the house doesn't mean you're up to no good

Her: sorry for being selfish but I'm seriously dying

Boss: ur not dying

Boss: I'm wimp

Her: I'm dying... for you right now

Her: that reverse psychology doesn't work on me.

Boss: bad situation

Her: sends him a pic of him at some work event

And then there was this exchange.

[Text from April 19th]

Boss: not enough people going to restaurantgoing here. fiancee will be there

Her: Ugh why? You told me she doesn't go to that poo poo.

Boss: not to our table

Her: then let's go somewhere else. I'll come to you. You can take me to my car at one of their offices

Boss: her friend is in the bar

Her: i don't have to come in cray. I know what you drive

Her: it's okay. I wont put you in that position.

Her: come check on his son with me.

Him: he's with ex wife

Her: i give up. Just trying to come up with an excuse to see you babe

Him: fiancee is here.
with attached pic of her sitting at the table

Her: of course she is. So sick of competing with her

Her: she's probably reading all this now since she decided to show up

So i bring all this up to her, right after getting home from helping my neighbor and she denies, denies, denies. I call her on her bs and head out of the house for a bit to drive.

Next morning we talked about it a little, Admits to flirting with him, but nothing physical. Just flirting. She told me they ended it back in May. So i texted her boss the screen shots of those text and waited for a reply to make sure he got them and i called him.

He told me straight up they discussed having a "thing" for about a month or more, but had to cut it off when his fiancee found out and realized it was a bad idea. He also told me nothing physical happened.

So then I contacted his fiancee and asked what she knew. She told me nothing physical, just flirting.

I then tell all of this to my wife, and then gather that she's sent this guy racy photos of herself. Nothing nude she says, just underwear and swimsuit stuff. I'm not buying it with the blocks of text and conversations that are blocky that look like poo poo was deleted from her phone. She told me it was mental attraction. She liked talking to him. He is a genius. Now she doesn't know what to say and do, crys, and begs for forgiveness.

And this is where I'm at. If this is what it is, just emotional, it's still a kick in the balls.

I make slightly more money than my wife does, but I constantly hear about how my job isn't as mentally challenging as hers. (I work in a trade) and how she's going to do big things.. So i kinda play Mr. Mom with my son. She has no real duties around the house other than showing up for work and essientlly loving off with her boss come to find out.

I drop him off at a babysitter, I work my 8 hours, i pick him up. I cook, i clean, i do the laundry, i grocery shop. Ect ect. I feel like a one man show a lot of the time with my son, but I believed she was going to move up in her job and all of this work will pay off in the future.

This is where I'm at. I'm hurt, I'm angry and feel just crossed and betrayed. I've never been so blatantly lied to in my life to my knowledge, and I've been in a lot of relationships and flings with women. I just don't know where to go from here. I feel like it would almost hurt less if I found out she got trashed and had a one night stand because this talk is with her boss. I know this man, i know his fiancee, he's taken us out to dinner and drinks. The works. I just don't know where to go from here. I'm just so up and down. I don't feel like we're connected anymore. I don't trust her.

I kicked her out of the house this morning on my way to bid a job. She took our son to her families house and aimlessly drove around all day. She won't tell her family what she did, so she wouldn't find anyone to stay with.

I slept on it all day after being up all night before, felt better and told her to come back with our son. I didn't tell her this, but I'm trying to be as supportive as i can because she has a memorial service to go to tomorrow. She doesn't need the stress of trying to find a hotel too stay in when she just went through the loss of a 80 year old grandparent with cancer, even though she seemed to be dealing with that loss well.

But i flip flop. When I'm busy and it's off my mind, i think i can work on it, but as soon as I'm alone with my thoughts. I get pissed, i want her out of the house and she can explain to her family how she's been having an emotional affair with her boss, who underpays her and overloads her with things to do, and we all know that.

TL;DR

25 year old wife having a fling with her 60 year old boss. I caught her, supposedly nothing physical happened and i don't know if i can trust her again.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i hope he saved the messages because i think it's time for a divorce

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love when people say how the person they like/want to cheat on their SO with is 'super exciting and attractive and gives me butterflies!"

Because butterflies loving die fast, yo. They don't live long, ever.

As for the hidden gay spouses, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. You intentionally hosed over your family. It's not being brave any more than a straight man who cheats on his wife is being brave. You're a liar.

I remember watching Orange is the New Black, and when we're introduced to Sophia, lots of people spoke of how brave she was. Bitch she was not loving brave! Yes she transitioned. Yes, she stole a fuckton of money to do it. But what pissed me off was the fact she didn't take one loving minute to think about her family or how hosed up it could make her son; would it really have killed her to maintain the man life until the son was grown? Her wife knew, her wife supported her, and still it was always about what Sophia wanted and needed and never about the family.

Yes, live your own life, be safe and if it harms no one, no foul, but gently caress the fuckers who live a lie and then expect the world to kiss their feet for finally telling a truth.

Closeted gay men marry women because they're afraid of the consequences of coming out. There's a reason why it's always older men that come out that way. Expect it to happen less and less as violent homophobia continues to become less common and gay marriage continues to become more accepted.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

quote:

[Text message from 3 days ago] Her: You....

Boss: u what?

Her: should help me catch up... tonight 😉😉

He really didn't have to read on from here, the double winkies give up the game. :sever:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i considered it but otoh, if someone made that up they're still the kind of person to make that up

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My boyfriend [30M] admitted to "tracking" me [27F] on business trips. I feel violated and he thinks he did nothing wrong because it was out of concern.

quote:

We've been together 2 years, lived together for about 4 months.

Anyway, my job requires a lot of travel. I work on a team of 4 people and we often travel once a month for a few days, and every few months for a week. This has always been my job, BF has never voiced any concern about it, and has never said a word about the travel bothering him. I'm always very upfront about where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, and who on the team is going, too. I know he's been mildly suspicious of one of the guys on the team before, but our relationship is purely platonic and has been since my boyfriend and I started dating. No worries there.

Anyway, last Friday my team and I were all driving back to town after doing some work a few states over. I was texting my boyfriend in the car as I normally do, telling him where we currently were, when I'd be home, just normal chit-chat to pass the time. I told him we were probably going to stop for lunch at this really famous restaurant about 30 miles from where we live.

So we did that. While we were getting ready to leave, I saw my boyfriend across the street in this little coffee shop/ice cream parlor place. I was really surprised to see him there since it was the middle of the day and he should've been at work. Plus, he had no reason to be there. I thought maybe he had come to surprise me, so I crossed the street and went over to talk to him. When he saw me coming he looked like I had caught him. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was sent on an "errand" by his boss to this town. This didn't really sound right to be considering there was nothing in this town that couldn't be accomplished in either our city or in another one much closer. I asked again what he was doing there, this time kinda thinking he hadn't planned on me seeing him. He then said that since we had mentioned stopping in a town so close, he would come meet us and then I could ride home with him so we had time to catch up. Again, weird I thought, especially since he could've told me that. But I dropped it for the time being and we left together.

On the ride back I brought it up again and asked what he was really doing because I really wasn't buying his story. This is when he admitted to me that he often will drive by places I say I am on business trips to see if I'm really there. If we're staying less than 2 or 3 hours away, he'll drive to that town to see if my car is really outside the hotel I'm staying at. If I say we're stopping somewhere on the drive home, he'll go there and see what I'm really doing, if everything is platonic like I say it is, etc.

I feel hugely violated. For one, he has never mentioned feeling so insecure about my relationship with my coworkers. Secondly, he trusts me so little that he will drive 2 hours to the Best Western four towns over just to make sure I'm really there when I say I am?!

He says that he's not doing anything wrong. He's not tracking my phone or reading my messages. That it's his right to drive to another town if he wants to, and he's only doing it out of concern for our relationship and its integrity.

I'm not crazy, am I? I think this is totally insane and I'm not sure I want to be in a relationship with someone like that. But he's so insistent that he's done nothing wrong, I don't know. I guess I just need advice on what to do.

tl;dr: Boyfriend has been "checking up" on me when I'm away on business trips. I feel violated but he thinks he's done nothing wrong.

quote:

See, that's the thing. He's a completely normal guy outside of this thing. He has friends, he goes out, he works a regular old job. He's never been super controlling or anything like that. He's voiced concerns in the past about one specific coworker, but I assured him there was nothing to be worried about and he more or less dropped it.

But then he also trails me, so there is that.
:redflag:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Haifisch posted:

My boyfriend [30M] admitted to "tracking" me [27F] on business trips. I feel violated and he thinks he did nothing wrong because it was out of concern.

:redflag:

Same.

I feel like this what the attorneys point to as motive when her body is found in the woods.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Closeted gay men marry women because they're afraid of the consequences of coming out. There's a reason why it's always older men that come out that way. Expect it to happen less and less as violent homophobia continues to become less common and gay marriage continues to become more accepted.

My uncle married twice and had three kids before coming out in his mid-50s. Met his husband almost the next week (another mid-50s guy with two marriages and three kids) and they've been together for the last 20 years :3:

I'm pretty sure both of them would've come out as teenagers if they were raised in today's world, not the 1950s and 60s.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

quote:

My [31F] boyfriend [41M] send me a video of him jo and I am replused by it.Dating (self.relationships)

submitted 28 minutes ago by Asubservientfeminist

We have been dating for a little less than one month now, gone on 3 dates precisely. Haven't had sex yet. We are currently in a LDR but I am moving closer to him for work in a few months.

We have been talking and texting since 7 months. I really like him, he is sweet, thoughtful and caring.

I am attracted to his intelligence and his personality. He turns me on with his words but I am not sexually attracted to him after this. Should I continue dating him?

TL;DR : In a LDR not seen each other naked, he sent a video of him jo and I am not sexually attracted to him anymore.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I think OP accidentally switched the digits in the ages.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm curious what the dates were

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol if you don't test the friggin waters with a looot of back and forth racy chat and pix before you fire off a mp4 of you throttling the hog

also lol if you get involved in an ldr

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (42/f) friend (39/F) of 10 years catered a graduation party for me as a way to get business for her catering company. She is upset with how the event turned out. Am I a bad friend for focusing more on my party than her catering?

quote:

I just graduated with a Masters degree in Social work. I have been working on my masters while holding down a full time so it has taken a lot of time and effort. I will still be working at the same agency with my Masters, but I will be able to advance and take on more significant roles. I am really excited and proud of my hard work.

I wanted to celebrate my graduation with my friends and family. I planned an informal gathering of about 65 people, which included my family and mine and my husband's friends.

My friend Stephanie heard about the party and offered to cater for free as she just started a catering business and want some good word of mouth references. Stephanie has been a stay at home mom for more than a decade and now that her kids are older she has started a catering company. She is a really good cook and frequently throws fancy parties so I knew she would do a good job. I told her I would pay for all of the food and supplies she needed and she could cook and set up the food as planned.

It became evident however that there were some differences of opinion in how Stephanie and I viewed the type of party I was planning. For a bit of background, Stephanie is from an upper middle class background and her and her husband have quite a bit more income and social capital than me and my family. She regularly throws fun raisers and high profile events. We have backyard BBQs that often end with everyone sitting around out firepit drinking beer.

I told Stephanie that maybe this wasn't the guest list and party environment she was picturing. However I did invite some people who are high profile in our town, such as my boss so Stephanie still felt it would be benefiting.

The day of the party Stephanie showed up with white linen tablecloths and elaborate centerpieces. The party was set up in my my large backyard. Everything looked very beautiful and the food was delicious.

The problem arose when what tuned out to be a spontaneous horseshoe tournament stated in our backyard horseshoe pit. My husband and I both love horseshoes and as a team are pretty drat good. People started challenging us and soon a tournament started.

When I wasn't playing I was going around checking in and socializing with everyone, and it seemed like everyone was having fun. Even the people not playing horseshoes were cheering on that games. I did notice Stepanie grumbling a bit but figured she was just focused on the food.

When it came time to eat I told everyone that dinner was served. Stephanie had set up a formal eating area with covered tables that looked lovely. However instead of sitting down together to eat, guests kind of trickled in a few at time to get food. Many took their plates back to the horseshoe put area rather than sitting down.

About 45 minutes later Stephanie and her husband left abruptly without saying goodbye. When I texted her thank you she did not respond and when I called the next day she was furious with me.

She feels like she supported me in my accomplishment but that I did not do enough to support her in her new business. She thinks I should have stopped the horseshoe game when dinner was ready and escorted everyone over to the seating area. I am a bit reserved and don't like making big announcements in front of groups. Also I felt like everyone was having fun so why interrupt. Stephanie is deeply hurt by my behAvior and I feel awful.

As it is, most of the guests, including my "high profile" boss said they had a great time And specifically mentioned how good the food was. I was able to pass on the name of Stephanie's company. However she says it doesn't matter because they will now associate her business with backyard horseshoes and casual dining and will not think of her for formal events.

is there anything I can do to make this right? Am I a terrible friend for not focusing more on helping Stpehanie?

tl;dr: My friend catered my graduation party to generate business for her company. The party did not go as planned and she is hurt that I did not work to better adjust the settings to focus on her food. Am I a bad friend and how can I fix it?
Guillotine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In which we learn having petite bourgeois friends is a double edged sword.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Haifisch posted:

My (42/f) friend (39/F) of 10 years catered a graduation party for me as a way to get business for her catering company. She is upset with how the event turned out. Am I a bad friend for focusing more on my party than her catering?

Guillotine.

Me Me Me MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Haifisch posted:

Guillotine.

Parties are always the most fun with a heavily enforced schedule.

big_brother
Sep 27, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

Parties are always the most fun with a heavily enforced schedule.

I can never tell if I'm having a good time unless I am being herded around. I mean, I can't trust others to be adults, it only makes sense that I can't be trusted either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Because the friend was doing it free for exposure, I do think it merits a little more than you'd expect from a professional caterer doing it for money. Maybe when announcing the food she could have thanked the friend for providing the food for the event or something.

That said, jfc what a diva.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

Because the friend was doing it free for exposure, I do think it merits a little more than you'd expect from a professional caterer doing it for money. Maybe when announcing the food she could have thanked the friend for providing the food for the event or something.

That said, jfc what a diva.

Yeah, the fact that he had to pass on her name later shows that he didn't even stop and say, "oh by the way, the food was graciously provided by Stephanie, who has a catering company should you be interested. " Who the hell let's a friend do all the work for catering, and doesn't even put in a word of publicity during the event? She's still a diva who could have gone up and said "hey, could you tell people I made the food?" But they are both idiots.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well the host did still pass the name on, so it's probably something that didn't occur in the moment which is kind of bad form but an honest mistake. It's really bad that Stephanie is more upset that people are getting the name of her business in what she considers the "wrong" context so I definitely think she comes off in the story far worse.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
She was warned it would be a hootenanny and tried to turn it into a formal event smh

That's like showing up to a fundraiser gala in shorts and flip flops

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Also that 'wrong' context was something she was warned about ahead of time.

She has how catering works rear end-backwards, basically. The focus of your party's not gonna be the food(even though in this specific case OP probably should have given her a quick thanks), but people will remember and talk about it later. And not every party is going to be the high-class "stop playing horseshoes and come to dinner" affair she's imagining.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
This is why you never work for free to build 'experience'.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Panfilo posted:

This is why you never work for free to build 'experience'.

this is why you don't let friends turn your personal events into their Amway parties

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

webmeister posted:

My uncle married twice and had three kids before coming out in his mid-50s. Met his husband almost the next week (another mid-50s guy with two marriages and three kids) and they've been together for the last 20 years :3:

I'm pretty sure both of them would've come out as teenagers if they were raised in today's world, not the 1950s and 60s.

One of my friends of ethnicity X has three dads, 1 of ethnicity X and 2 of ethnicity Y.

Her ethnicity X family immigrated to the US, her biological father came out, divorced, and remarried a local man of ethnicity Y, and her mother also remarried a local man. My friend's favorite is the guy her dad married.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

fruit on the bottom posted:

Well the host did still pass the name on, so it's probably something that didn't occur in the moment which is kind of bad form but an honest mistake. It's really bad that Stephanie is more upset that people are getting the name of her business in what she considers the "wrong" context so I definitely think she comes off in the story far worse.

Yeah it was a mistake, albeit a really rude one, that she could have easily corrected in the moment. Or, if she's smart, just guilt your friend a little bit after the fact to ensure he goes around telling people when they mention your food.

Who expects an outdoor food party to be fancy? Has anyone ever been to a non-garden party that was fancy and outdoors? It's weird.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My [25F] fiance [30M] told me his business partner is a priority over me because $

quote:

:words: OP helping boyfriend sell for his business :words:

tl;dr: My fiance Nick prioritized his business partner Joe over me because he paid out more in commission. I started paying the same, but Joe wanted me out of the business, so Nick let it happen. I'm now unhappy with Nick and resentful.

UPDATE: My [25F] fiance [30M] told me his business partner is a priority over me because $

quote:

Keeping all your advice in mind, I sat down with Nick last night to have a talk about the venture and Joe.

At first, he was defensive. He accused me of entering the business and "demanding to change the system Joe and I created". He said I'd been acting like an entitled girlfriend asking for him and Joe to cater to my whims. I was so baffled by this version of events that I made him discuss each event chronologically. He tried to put the blame on me but I wasn't having any of it.

Eventually he admitted that everything was fine with me until Joe started asking for changes. That is the only time I started coming up with proposed changes to the system because neither he nor Joe were coming up with any but kept telling me "something needed to change". Then he finally explained why he'd been acting the way he has.

So it turns out that Nick doesn't view Joe as an employee the way I was, but viewed him as an equal business partner who was there with him from the beginning and has equal say in the business. That was why he was irreplaceable. He apparently told Joe that I would only be selling temporarily, which is NOT what he told me. Naturally, Joe started getting miffed when it turned out I was there to stay, especially when I "started selling a blizzard of goods", in Nick's words. He hadn't expected me to be so good at selling.

Nick apologized, said he handled the whole affair very poorly, and said that I wasn't to blame after all. I accepted his apology, but I told him that none of it had been a reason to treat me badly and that it showed that I was still not a priority. I told him that I haven't been a priority since the beginning of our relationship and that marriage was not on the table anymore because I really need to be a team with my husband.

He went quiet and then started talking about how he feels like he has to cater to me all the time, keep me entertained, and that my life revolves around him. I was really surprised by this because I lead a normal life (school work etc) and detected a hint of contempt because I'm not entirely consumed by work like he is. After a bit of prodding, it turns out that Nick is one of those people who prefer living by themselves having 30 hr coding marathons alone then passing out for 15. Any kind of relationship where you see each other more than 3x a week is too much work for him, essentially.

That isn't conducive to any relationship I want to have (and that hint of contempt really sealed the deal for me). He thinks I'm too high maintenance (in attention and effort), and I think he's not meeting my minimum requirement for a boyfriend, let alone a fiancé. We expressed these things to one another (I did mention the horseshit distribution of labor, too).

At the end of the discussion, I told him the wedding was on indefinite hold and that we would be living separately from now on. He seemed bummed out but accepted it. I think he really feels that our relationship can work that way! He seemed pretty drat chipper this morning.

I know I need to leave him immediately. The problem is that we have a 2 month long international trip coming up in a week that I cannot cancel, so I want to make that as painless as possible (that trip has been 10 years in the making and entails family members I haven't seen in a long time). After that, I'll move out and let him know it's over.

tl;dr: Talked to Nick, he apologized. Turns out we are pretty much opposites in relationship requirements. Breakup imminent post-trip.

EDIT on why the trip is necessary:

This is actually a very involved trip into a couple of continents. We have a shared apartment in Europe that we were planning on emptying and ending the lease on. We're both needed for that. The second leg of the trip is to my native country and he's not needed for that. However he's already paid thousands of dollars in nonrefundable airfare for it and has been excited for months about it, so I'm not about to yank that out from under him. Our relationship may be ending, but I don't hate him.

Honestly he knows what me moving out means, he's a smart guy. I've always made clear that living together and getting married is important to me, so he knows. He's also someone who avoids unpleasant conversations like the plague, so it won't be awkward. This trip is making the best of things, I suppose.

quote:

And it stings to admit this now, but for a long time I felt like the special butterfly who got Nick to settle down and propose, even though he left a long string of ditched girlfriends behind. I used to worry I'd join their ranks, but he seemed so ready and willing to commit, and then that ring showed up..

Live and learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I didn't read most of that, but it's good to know what you want out of life even if it doesn't conform to what society expects. good for him and his love of code