Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The airforce sounds so loving bizzare. If someone asked what I was doing outside working hours I'd tell them either drinking or to gently caress off. What kind of work schedule are you on where you have time to significantly volunteer?

Most people in the air force work regular office hours if not shorter, which just makes the semi-mandatory volunteer poo poo worse when most shift workers just don't have the schedule to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What kind of work schedule are you on where you have time to significantly volunteer?

I got promoted up to a Monday to Friday, 0700-1700 job. Before that I was doing 12s as a shift worker.

And yes, shift workers get turbofucked re the volunteer/education crap.

The Air Force is kind of backing off from it, but for the longest time, awards and enlisted performance reports were more dependent on "volunteering" and off duty college education than they were on actual job performance. The theory being that everyone was expected to do good work, so it was the extracurricular bullshit that would set the best troops apart.

I put volunteering in quotes, because needless to say, it wasn't actually volunteer work for most people. It became an all but mandatory check in the box to get a good performance report (and thus get enough promotion points to pick up rank). Similarly, all the enlisted end up wasting gov tuition assistance money on worthless degree mills so they can say that they got x credits this year toward their degree, with a 4.0 average.

Again, this is supposedly changing. We'll see. The AF adopted a new performance report a couple years ago, which has less space for non-mission fluff. I have little faith, though, because the people who benefitted from the old system are the ones responsible for the new one.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I am just going to throw this out here. I graduated with a Masters degree back in May, and my degree primarly focuses on public sector work (Focus in Administration, Budgeting, Auditing, Planning) and I haven't really had much luck in my career search. A family member suggested I try my hand in the Airforce OTS with an administration career since "Every base needs administration". I have been doing plenty of research on the idea, but I wanted some feedback from the thread to see if my idea is a dumb one or not.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am just going to throw this out here. I graduated with a Masters degree back in May, and my degree primarly focuses on public sector work (Focus in Administration, Budgeting, Auditing, Planning) and I haven't really had much luck in my career search. A family member suggested I try my hand in the Airforce OTS with an administration career since "Every base needs administration". I have been doing plenty of research on the idea, but I wanted some feedback from the thread to see if my idea is a dumb one or not.

Maybe you should try finding work in a different city / state since the airforce will move your rear end to wherever anyway.

Where are you trying to get a job with that degree? NYC?

Edit: Also your family member is dumb as poo poo and obviously hates you

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 16, 2017

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am just going to throw this out here. I graduated with a Masters degree back in May, and my degree primarly focuses on public sector work (Focus in Administration, Budgeting, Auditing, Planning)

Are you Ben Wyatt?

quote:

and I haven't really had much luck in my career search. A family member suggested I try my hand in the Airforce OTS with an administration career since "Every base needs administration".

Either they hate you or desperately want you to move out of their basement.

quote:

I have been doing plenty of research on the idea, but I wanted some feedback from the thread to see if my idea is a dumb one or not.

Look harder for a civilian job. As you've already been told, the Air Force will move you to shitholes like Altus and Cannon, so why not cast your job search just as wide without the baggage that comes with military service. I'd try to dissuade you from suckling on the government teat in general, but we've already established that you're Ben Wyatt and not Ron Swanson.

If you do join and become a Personnel officer, gently caress you ahead of time for everything even tangentially related to AFPC and its minions.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Derek Dominoe posted:

gently caress you ... AFPC

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think joining the USAF and being in personnel/admin wouldn't be the worst job for basing options. Like.. yeah Minot needs clerks, but so does Lajes Field and every single country we have an airbase in needs admin clerks. You can go anywhere, and if your smart and work the system you can live a loving slack rear end life and get paid just as much as dudes in harder more demanding jobs.

I encourage folks to look into joining the USAF since I still think it's the best of all possible military options.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Essentially you should consider looking for work in all the cities you don't want to live in, because the Air Force would likely send you somewhere similar and make you do stupid poo poo while you were there.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I appreciate all the responses, and yeah I've been throwing out resumes everywhere and I am still on the hunt currently. My grandfather was the one who put the idea in my Dad's head about the Air Force, and he went around asking everyone else he worked with about it. OTS would be something I look into farther down the line if my luck is still poo poo with finding a career, I am primarly doing research now.

So Administration is hit or miss then? I guess it would be a dumb question asking what is a "non poo poo" Base job :downs:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I'll give my two cents here:

Admin, or Personnel/Finance is kind of made fun of because it's not the point of the military. It's a necessary evil of the bureaucracy, and when you guys gently caress up, everyone else suffers the repercussions on pay, Orders, Dependent Travel or whatever fuckall I'm leaving out. That being said, a good Personnelist/Finance person is worth their weight in gold. As far as the actual job, it's easy as hell if you don't mind regurgitating regulations, being in charge of people, and playing military with squirt guns every once and a while. Remember that as an Officer, you won't be doing the Admin duties themselves, but will be in charge of the people who are doing the Admin duties.

As for the job on a personal level, it pays well for what you're doing. Bonus points if you're single. Even after the BS I've been through, I still recommend the military as a stepping stone. The benefits, foundation, and safety net the military provides are second to none. Being able to transfer the Post 9/11 GI Bill to a spouse or your children is invaluable. I would however, caution against doing a career unless you die hard love it, otherwise you'll burn out and be miserable (like most of us here...) but that decision point is a good 5-12 years away, and it's a good problem to have.

So I'll go against the grain, even as I'm getting out, and say apply for it. Realize the Recruiter -> Application -> OTS is about a 9 month odyssey, so have a plan in the mean time.

As for the bases, some of them blow, but some of them are awesome. My absolute favorite job was in whopping Enid, Oklahoma. You could get Hawaii, or you could get Del Rio. YMMV.

Any more questions, ask away!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 16, 2017

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah, you gotta accept that the stuff you learned about will not play a large role in your military career, even if you're doing personnel/finance. Your first few years will largely revolve around supervising enlisted personnel, many of whom may have just graduated high school. Most of the admin officers I know really enjoy their lives, and they can be stationed almost anywhere (check out \this cute little wikipedia image to see where). There are a few careers in the Air Force where your college degree leads directly into what you're working on, but they're mostly related to engineering and cybercrap. Having said that, the mishmash of degrees also works in your favor - you may qualify to fly things or have other options you may not be aware of. As xaarman alluded to, if you think you might be interested in the military then you also might want to consider getting the ball rolling on OTS because it can be quite a while between submitting your application and actually joining.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, you gotta accept that the stuff you learned about will not play a large role in your military career, even if you're doing personnel/finance. Your first few years will largely revolve around supervising enlisted personnel, many of whom may have just graduated high school. Most of the admin officers I know really enjoy their lives, and they can be stationed almost anywhere (check out \this cute little wikipedia image to see where). There are a few careers in the Air Force where your college degree leads directly into what you're working on, but they're mostly related to engineering and cybercrap. Having said that, the mishmash of degrees also works in your favor - you may qualify to fly things or have other options you may not be aware of. As xaarman alluded to, if you think you might be interested in the military then you also might want to consider getting the ball rolling on OTS because it can be quite a while between submitting your application and actually joining.

Lets say another career pops up during the time I get the ball rolling, and when I go, I can drop it at any time without penalty correct?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The penalty would probably be never being able to serve in the air force. If you get a commission slot and turn it down, you're done.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

xaarman posted:

Realize the Recruiter -> Application -> OTS is about a 9 month odyssey, so have a plan in the mean time.
I wish I had done the research to know that before I joined. It was in 2015 when they were cutting back hard and it was almost 15 months from recruiter to leaving to OTS.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

The penalty would probably be never being able to serve in the air force. If you get a commission slot and turn it down, you're done.

I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

I meant, anytime before that, like before you get offered anything or before any testing is done.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think your recruiter would be disappointed and not want to work with you again but dropping out early on probably doesn't matter. Some other poor soul will fill in sooner or later

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

I'm in the standby reserve, which means I have zero obligation, don't get called to muster, but still get ID cards/full base privileges for me & the kid.

Which I use to park in the officer parking lot at work.

Fat_Cow posted:

You don't get to pick your career field unless you're going to be a pilot, navigator, or air battle manager. You get to list your top 3 or 5 or whatever, but the AF will assign you according to its needs. You might very well end up overseeing contractors and determining if they're meeting their obligations. Or you might end up an aircraft maintenance officer. Or doing whatever the gently caress services officers do.

I think you'll be able to find work on the outside where you can count on some stability, live where you want, and not get punished because some 19 year old who works in the office down the hall that you've met twice got a DUI with a hooker passed out in the back seat.

As mentioned, applying to OTS is 9-12 months depending on when you apply. If you don't get selected, you get to start over. If you do, you could go to OTS anywhere from a month later to 10 months later. And you won't find out your career field until halfway through OTS itself.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think joining the USAF and being in personnel/admin wouldn't be the worst job for basing options. Like.. yeah Minot needs clerks, but so does Lajes Field and every single country we have an airbase in needs admin clerks. You can go anywhere, and if your smart and work the system you can live a loving slack rear end life and get paid just as much as dudes in harder more demanding jobs.

I encourage folks to look into joining the USAF since I still think it's the best of all possible military options.

Remember when they moved 95% of the finance community to FE Warren?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 16, 2017

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

As mentioned, applying to OTS is 9-12 months depending on when you apply. If you don't get selected, you get to start over. If you do, you could go to OTS anywhere from a month later to 10 months later. And you won't find out your career field until halfway through OTS itself.

From what I've been seeing, OTS classes are filled up for a while. Apparently people who were selected at the most recent boards are getting late 2018/early 2019 class dates. The AF is talking about shortening OTS so they can squeeze more classes per year in

So for the dude asking, I'd start the process ASAP, because there's a good chance even if you're selected, it could be 2 years from now until to leave.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

pkells posted:

From what I've been seeing, OTS classes are filled up for a while. Apparently people who were selected at the most recent boards are getting late 2018/early 2019 class dates. The AF is talking about shortening OTS so they can squeeze more classes per year in

So for the dude asking, I'd start the process ASAP, because there's a good chance even if you're selected, it could be 2 years from now until to leave.

What would even be the point. I'd probably have some other job + the needed expierence by then. I'll be talking with a recruiter tomorrow to get their two cents

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Make sure you talk to an OTS recruiter about commissioning, and not a normal recruiter for enlistment.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

xaarman posted:

Make sure you talk to an OTS recruiter about commissioning, and not a normal recruiter for enlistment.

At least where I was it was the same guy. Either way make it very clear.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

I'm still in. I'm in sort of the same spot as Arc Light, I blitzed to E6 and I can reliably coast for another decade.

It's easy and I'm lazy and I'm pretty sure I can do whatever the gently caress I want with a retirement check when I get out.

e: assuming my fat rear end doesn't get kicked out for going over on waist size on a PT test.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

At least where I was it was the same guy. Either way make it very clear.

There was a brief time (like 1 year) where they got rid of the OTS specialty and every recruiter handled everything. Apparently it didn't work well, because they dropped that poo poo surprisingly fast and are now using recruiters dedicated to officer accessions again.

Or you might've had one of the unicorns who actually does both. My entire state only had one OA recruiter, though, for reference. They're not at every office.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Talked to the recruiter over the phone, and was told "We're 200% backed up as of two months ago, so it would be about two years if you wanted in OTS". Well there goes that idea. :madmax:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Fat_Cow posted:

Talked to the recruiter over the phone, and was told "We're 200% backed up as of two months ago, so it would be about two years if you wanted in OTS". Well there goes that idea. :madmax:

How quickly did he spin that into "...but if you enlisted, I could get you out the door in a month!"?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How early should I start looking into a commission/AMS? I've got 2.5 years left on my enlistment.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

pkells posted:

How quickly did he spin that into "...but if you enlisted, I could get you out the door in a month!"?

He was trying to recommended that as an "alternative path" at the end of my phone call. Oh well

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

4 years till beard time for me. And looks like I'll be able to finish out my time in Korea too so I'm pretty stoked. The only motivation I have to make Master is being able to have a vehicle without jumping through exception to policies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

How early should I start looking into a commission/AMS? I've got 2.5 years left on my enlistment.

If you're guard, you should talk to your unit.

Fat_Cow posted:

He was trying to recommended that as an "alternative path" at the end of my phone call. Oh well

Are you sure you actually talked to the officer recruiter? They don't usually pull that poo poo because they don't need to.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

I want to go elsewhere. I'd rather not be a comm officer.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Godholio posted:

Are you sure you actually talked to the officer recruiter? They don't usually pull that poo poo because they don't need to.

He didn't give me the number for the Officer recruiter because "You guys swarm him So I could forward your info to him". That's when he told me about how they were backed up and stuff. There is another recruiter I could contact tomorrow to see if they'll say something else

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 18, 2017

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Fat_Cow posted:

He didn't give me the number for the Officer recruiter because "You guys swarm him So I could forward your info to him". That's when he told me about how they were backed up and stuff. There is another recruiter I could contact tomorrow to see if they'll say something else

Wow what a piece of poo poo. That sounds extremely shady.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Ckwiesr posted:

Wow what a piece of poo poo. That sounds extremely shady.

I know nothing about recruiting so I assumed nothing of it. There is another recruiter close by though so maybe he'll say something different tomorrow. Who knows.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Fat_Cow posted:

I know nothing about recruiting so I assumed nothing of it. There is another recruiter close by though so maybe he'll say something different tomorrow. Who knows.

Did he actually talk to the officer recruiter at all? Or did he just tell you that they were backed up?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Ckwiesr posted:

Did he actually talk to the officer recruiter at all? Or did he just tell you that they were backed up?

Nope. There wasn't an officer recruiter at station I called. So he offered to forward my information, and then told me about OTS being backed up, I declined after I heard about the two year wait.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Fat_Cow posted:

Nope. There wasn't an officer recruiter at station I called. So he offered to forward my information, and then told me about OTS being backed up, I declined after I heard about the two year wait.

I'm pretty sure you can see where this is going, but I wouldn't take that guys word for it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Consider this your first lesson. Recruiters are scum and will say anything to get you to sign their papers over someone else's.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah you need to talk to an officer recruiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Definitely do not take his word about the officer recruiter being swamped, or so backed up you'll never get in or whatever. He wants you to enlist so he can make his numbers.

• Locked thread