Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'd like them to be more different, like how the walkers in Attack of the Clones were different. But they could be pretty much anything in that shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new AT-ATs look like gorillas or some poo poo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"Even though it's the second in the trilogy, it feels like its own thing" . . .so maybe it's not just an ESB reboot? please?

"It's a WRAP" is the only bit that did anything for me, to be honest.

jivjov posted:

Ideally the actual story will be absolutely a new thing, with set dressing like "a battle against walkers over a rolling white surface" will just be the "rhyming" necessity set dressing

I really hope jivjov is right

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

I'd like them to be more different, like how the walkers in Attack of the Clones were different. But they could be pretty much anything in that shot.

It might be interesting if the new walkers moved differently; perhaps they could be more graceful and agile than the OT-era AT-ATs, so that they're a more dynamic threat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

veni veni veni posted:

The new AT-ATs look like gorillas or some poo poo

do they? from what i saw, they are just AT-ATs but a ton bigger and more guns because the first order a bunch of sadbrain fanboys of imperial "build it gigantic" philosophy.

anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pryBP4K-_34

it will probaly only be like 6 hours long but looks cool.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do they? from what i saw, they are just AT-ATs but a ton bigger and more guns because the first order a bunch of sadbrain fanboys of imperial "build it gigantic" philosophy.

anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pryBP4K-_34

it will probaly only be like 6 hours long but looks cool.

Anyone want to give odds on the main character defecting by the end of the story?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's even sadder they're using lightsabers again.

At least the corporate boardroom at Disney decided not to mention midichlorians in the new films

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zoran posted:

Anyone want to give odds on the main character defecting by the end of the story?

maybe. though i honestly hope/think she won't. i think she helps found the first order.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I've wondered for a while, is it a coincidence that The Force Awakens seems to address every last thing that was said in the RLM prequel reviews?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah. Gorillas was a bad descriptor. They just remind me of them because they are all front heavy with big legs.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've wondered for a while, is it a coincidence that The Force Awakens seems to address every last thing that was said in the RLM prequel reviews?

i think its coincidence, the rlm reviews are basically 'why the prequels fail according to the standards of post 70s blockbuster adventure movies' and no one understands those standards like abrams, he's 'more spielberg than spielberg', which also i think is why some people consider his work a little formulaic. but you can't deny he understands the formula very well.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

RedSpider posted:

At least the corporate boardroom at Disney decided not to mention midichlorians in the new films

Why is that a good thing?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I guarantee you Disney executives watched the Plinkett reviews before making Star Wars films

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RedSpider posted:

I guarantee you Disney executives watched the Plinkett reviews before making Star Wars films

These are people who won't watch entire movies they have to vote for the Oscars.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The MSJ posted:

These are people who won't watch entire movies they have to vote for the Oscars.

The Plinkett reviews are free :smug:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

RedSpider posted:

I guarantee you Disney executives watched had the Plinkett reviews summarized before making Star Wars films

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

RedSpider posted:

Then where were the pizza roles?
:colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

They auditioned, but a plate of spaghetti and rice managed to get the part

I think pizza got some obscure background role instead

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A fan-made shot for shot remake of Revenge of the Sith, made on a shoestring budget.

In the immortal words of nuclear physicist Kenneth Bainbridge, now we are all sons of bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_-jmtPQ84g

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That's amazing, the final fight between Anakin and Obi-wan is incredibly well done

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

#pizzagate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

A fan-made shot for shot remake of Revenge of the Sith, made on a shoestring budget.

In the immortal words of nuclear physicist Kenneth Bainbridge, now we are all sons of bitches.

I need an animated gif of 54:55-55:00

That was amazing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I like AT-ATs

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Gonz posted:

haha this is actually pretty good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a grumpy gently caress who hated the special edition changes, I avoided buying star wars for years and held on to my old pre THX vhs tapes. I bought that DVD set a while back that supposedly had the real versions, but pawned it when I realized that it was pretty much a tiny, blurry gently caress you to people who bought it for that.

I finally just caved since it's been like a decade since I've had a VHS player or those tapes ,and bought on blu ray and holy poo poo the OT looks good. I've pretty much only watched SW on a 19" inch screen VHS my whole life, so it's pretty crazy watching them on Blu ray on a 60" TV. I think I can finally just live with the SE bullshit or just fast forward through it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

veni veni veni posted:

As a grumpy gently caress who hated the special edition changes, I avoided buying star wars for years and held on to my old pre THX vhs tapes. I bought that DVD set a while back that supposedly had the real versions, but pawned it when I realized that it was pretty much a tiny, blurry gently caress you to people who bought it for that.

I finally just caved since it's been like a decade since I've had a VHS player or those tapes ,and bought on blu ray and holy poo poo the OT looks good. I've pretty much only watched SW on a 19" inch screen VHS my whole life, so it's pretty crazy watching them on Blu ray on a 60" TV. I think I can finally just live with the SE bullshit or just fast forward through it.

Look it up online but some guy made a Blu-ray quality version of the original trilogy with all of this special edition additions removed. It might be bit of a pain in the rear end to put it all together and burn it to a Blu-ray but it's an option. Might be illegal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I'm aware those and it's pretty cool. I'm super lazy though and it was sort of an impulse buy and I think I can just live with the parts Lucas crapped on.

I haven't got to Jedi yet though and that one is still probably gonna piss me off lol. I'm still yet to witness The ghosts getting replaced by people from the prequels, and unfortunately I remember how bad that dance party in Jabbas palace was.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Covok posted:

Look it up online but some guy made a Blu-ray quality version of the original trilogy with all of this special edition additions removed. It might be bit of a pain in the rear end to put it all together and burn it to a Blu-ray but it's an option. Might be illegal.

Is Disney going to release an un-"enhanced" OT?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

spacetoaster posted:

Eventually, probably. But nothing is announced, at this moment. There were rumors a year or two ago, but they never became more than just rumors.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC, full rights to ESB and RotJ revert to Disney in 2020. So at that point they'll cut a deal with Fox (who owns ANH in perpetuity) to release an unedited trilogy set so they can reap the majority of the profits.

Rumors said that during TFA and Rogue One's productions they were watching new restored versions that Disney was just sitting on, but it turns out they were actually watching the Despecialized fan edit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 17, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I'm aware those and it's pretty cool. I'm super lazy though and it was sort of an impulse buy and I think I can just live with the parts Lucas crapped on.

I haven't got to Jedi yet though and that one is still probably gonna piss me off lol. I'm still yet to witness The ghosts getting replaced by people from the prequels, and unfortunately I remember how bad that dance party in Jabbas palace was.

The ghosts are whatever, Hayden is on screen for like 5 seconds. The real good thing about Jedi SE is the new celebration theme on Endor, which is about 1,000 times better than the original.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The ghosts are whatever, Hayden is on screen for like 5 seconds. The real good thing about Jedi SE is the new celebration theme on Endor, which is about 1,000 times better than the original.

This is negated by the Jabba's Palace dance number, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

This is negated by the Jabba's Palace dance number, though.

You'll notice I didn't mention that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing about "Jedi Rocks" is that the scene it's replacing is not very good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

The thing about "Jedi Rocks" is that the scene it's replacing is not very good.

This is absolutely true, but it at least sells the place as a seedy, sleazy dive. Jedi Rocks makes it into...honestly I'm not sure, but something else.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
^^^ I think the Jedi Rocks scene 'sucks' because it passes into the depths of the uncanny valley (for humanoid aliens). The original version was puppets and fits the aesthetic of the rest of the palace.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jedi Rocks just clashes too much with all the other effects in the movie. There really aren't any other scenes in the SE where entirely CG creations are expected to carry a scene(Jabba and Han is the only other one I can think of and I have the same complaint about it).

With the prequels the effects are all equally aged when you watch it, so they don't clash the same way that Jedi Rocks does with everything that surrounds it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

spacetoaster posted:

Instead, make a crazy version, like Moroder's Metropolis.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They should have inserted the Jabba deleted scene unaltered with Human Jabba and offered no explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tender Bender posted:

They should have inserted the Jabba deleted scene unaltered with Human Jabba and offered no explanation.

Despecialized: SE

• Locked thread