Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

I already have a turquoise Rocky!

What the heck I don't need two brightly colored early 90s convertible SUVs either, someone should buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seminal Flu posted:

Thanks, I agree... in looking, I think that 25k is right about where it's at. Leaves for about 5k profit, but not enough to make it worthwhile. When I first started looking, it seemed (seems?) like they bring a lot more money in England...

From my friend

quote:

Looks pretty clean. I suspect the headlight vacuum system has a leak based on the lights being up. S4s are probably the least sought, but that is a good price for a 1 owner at that mileage. They are not super complicated but can be finicky and parts can be hard to come by.

LMK if he needs any advice.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

MonkeyNutZ posted:

That looks like a two door Opel Ascona (1900 in the USA) that was shortened behind the door and lengthened in front of it. The wheel wells were also moved up to lower the body, especially in the front.

Later years, 1975 I think, had the tail lights wrap into the side of the car. Looks like 1971 style bumpers on a chopped 1975

E: and they threw some kind of weird engine into it

So I called the guy. You are correct, it started as an Ascona, but a 4 door version. Body was modified as you said. Engine is from Buick Skylark, so an early 3800 (Fireball V6), trans he's unsure about but thinks it's also from the same engine donor, 4 speed manual. Rear end is supposed to be from Ford Falcon (with leaf springs), so that could be quite a few things I think, but if true potentially also means there are plenty of good options in diffs and brakes for it. His family bought it this way in 1983 and he says it's always been kept in storage/under cover and pulled out to run occasionally.

Front suspension he claimed to be from an Opel GT, is that possible? I thought the GT shared parts with the Kadett? It appears the same suppliers have parts for all models so maybe they're related or similar?

Anyhow he's removed the gas tank and had it acid dipped and then coated, but hasn't reinstalled because he said he didn't like how the fuel line was run. Unbelievably he says the thing runs great and can drive it around his storage facility. :stare:

I'm, uh, thinking about looking at it tomorrow.....

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

angryrobots posted:

Front suspension he claimed to be from an Opel GT, is that possible? I thought the GT shared parts with the Kadett? It appears the same suppliers have parts for all models so maybe they're related or similar?

IIRC the GT has a transverse leaf spring in the front. Adapting that to another engine/vehicle would be pretty silly but I guess it's possible. Just a weird setup that would make life harder, IMO.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm currently on vacation in Las Vegas, and it's 112116°F out. Perfect time to visit the hotel pool... And to get kicked out of the water for 20 minutes while they fix a light that had managed to get loose from the housing and was just floating there. 112116°F is loving hot.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 16, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ilkhan posted:

I'm currently on vacation in Las Vegas, and it's 112°F out. Perfect time to visit the hotel pool... And to get kicked out of the water for 20 minutes while they fix a light that had managed to get loose from the housing and was just floating there. 112°F is loving hot.

Yeah, I was there during the heat wave three weeks ago. gently caress, that was unpleasant. Most of my time was at least inside at the Mandalay Bay convention center, but those brief moments of "you need to go outside to catch a shuttle or go to a Walgreens" was hell.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'll trade you. At least that's a dry 112* degrees. Come to Florida, and enjoy our 100* days with 90% humidity!

Don't forget those afternoon rains that last 5 mins and then the sun comes back out in full force, giving you 10000000% humidity!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Getting doors to fit in a poo poo-tier HOA rental house is the most annoying thing I've dealt with all year. I used a plane, rough sandpaper, and a bastard file. Eventually I broke down and used the angle grinder with a sanding disc on it. There was SO MUCH MATERIAL to remove. And that was AFTER fixing the hinges.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
OH and also the loving bench grinder. I've always known that "builder grade" meant "poo poo-tier," but I didn't know to this extent.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm starting to think about importing kei cars from Japan and selling them over here in the US. The volume will be tiny, one car at a time and it will be exclusively kei class since that's what I've immersed myself in. The only international port in Florida they seem to be able to be delivered to is in Jacksonville, on the other side of the state from me. This means I have to figure out how to get them from over there to where I am in Sarasota (south of Tampa) and I've been looking at towing vehicles and what is needed for that. So far it seems I can expect around 1500 pounds for a tandem axle trailer (with brakes) and kei cars themselves never weigh more than 2000 lbs. As for vehicles with which to tow the trailer with I would like an SUV instead of a pickup because at least I can seat more people in it, where as if I want a pickup I'll just get a kei truck. I've been looking at J80 Land Crusiers (and the LX450, same truck) and second and third gen 4runners. I like the 4runners because it's less truck than a land crusier and they come in manual transmissions.
Is there anything I'm missing or have extremely wrong? I'm wholly ignorant on towing and what I should expect. I also want to do it right.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bed bugs are filthy xenos pests and I can't wait to exterminatus them from my house and life with the heaters arriving tuesday. Dude at the rental place said they don't rent out heaters, but he may start because we were around the 100th family this month to inquire due to bedbug infestation. Every local store is sold out of chemicals and despite eyewatering prices, professionals are booked solid. poo poo is reaching pandemic levels in my area. :smithicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just, remember that bed bugs can live for 18 months without eating in warm climates, and more than 2 years in cool climates :smith:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I'm starting to think about importing kei cars from Japan and selling them over here in the US. The volume will be tiny, one car at a time and it will be exclusively kei class since that's what I've immersed myself in. The only international port in Florida they seem to be able to be delivered to is in Jacksonville, on the other side of the state from me. This means I have to figure out how to get them from over there to where I am in Sarasota (south of Tampa) and I've been looking at towing vehicles and what is needed for that. So far it seems I can expect around 1500 pounds for a tandem axle trailer (with brakes) and kei cars themselves never weigh more than 2000 lbs. As for vehicles with which to tow the trailer with I would like an SUV instead of a pickup because at least I can seat more people in it, where as if I want a pickup I'll just get a kei truck. I've been looking at J80 Land Crusiers (and the LX450, same truck) and second and third gen 4runners. I like the 4runners because it's less truck than a land crusier and they come in manual transmissions.
Is there anything I'm missing or have extremely wrong? I'm wholly ignorant on towing and what I should expect. I also want to do it right.

Those wouldn't be my first choice for regular towing, but for pulling a little kei car twice a year on flat land, either is probably fine. Of the two, the 4runner will be cheaper to run and repair I think.

If you want to go Toyota, how about a Sequoia? The drivetrain is quite stout and the first gens I see for pretty cheap. Maybe a little more truck than you are wanting, especially if it's gonna be an everyday vehicle...but I can vouch for the ability of that chassis to tow comfortably and reliably.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I would think that a J80 or LX450/470 would be more ideal for towing than a 4Runner. The big Lexus SUVs can be had cheap with higher miles, but as you know that doesn't really matter for the right truck. I would take the Lexus features over the Toyota all day long, tow in comfort gently caress it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/lexus-lx/6220677977.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

angryrobots posted:

If you want to go Toyota, how about a Sequoia? The drivetrain is quite stout and the first gens I see for pretty cheap. Maybe a little more truck than you are wanting, especially if it's gonna be an everyday vehicle...but I can vouch for the ability of that chassis to tow comfortably and reliably.
5 years ago I would have put the Sequoia right up next to that giant beluga whale Infiniti SUV for being the ugliest things on the road. Now it's not so much what with the Prius but I still have a deep dislike for the way that thing looks.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would think that a J80 or LX450/470 would be more ideal for towing than a 4Runner. The big Lexus SUVs can be had cheap with higher miles, but as you know that doesn't really matter for the right truck. I would take the Lexus features over the Toyota all day long, tow in comfort gently caress it.

The one you linked is the best LX that's close by.
Looking at it more closely I thought the LX470s were huge compared to the LX450 but it turns out that the 470s are shorter and only slightly longer and wider. Ugh.
Pretty sure the reason I'm so hesitant to go for a 470 is because I feel some sort of disgust by becoming 'one of them' in a typical giant Lexus SUV fashion. That's all in my head though and it does make more sense to get a newer more comfortable Lexus. The sc300 has spoiled us so much that I've swung hard toward Toyota so in a sense I'm already one of them :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 16, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Pretty sure the reason I'm so hesitant to go for a 470 is because I feel some sort of disgust by becoming 'one of them' in a typical giant Lexus SUV fashion. That's all in my head though and it does make more sense to get a newer more comfortable Lexus. The sc300 has spoiled us so much that I've swung hard toward Toyota so in a sense I'm already one of them :v:

That's how I first kind of felt about LS430s before we got one. But it was such a good car for the price there was no way to pass it up, we love this car. And of course, most non car people have no clue about luxury car depreciation or think the car is brand new, so we had people asking us when we won the lottery or if we got a inheritance and poo poo like that :rolleyes:

I say check them out, if you gotta drive to Jacksonville and back might well be as comfy as possible.....Can't beat those seats :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey check out this catte, he's got a lot of floof

Also here's a dam and a bridge

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the Goodwill down the road has a Kirby vacuum for a not horrible price.

.... They also have walkers. I feel 80 just from knowing what a Kirby is.

I'm probably going to grab one of those things on Friday.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What, a walker? :haw:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Go see Chernobyl unless you're scared of living without starbucks and artisanal toast.

Ya, that's on the top of a 16 story apartment building. I had a rad guide.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cursedshitbox posted:

I had a rad guide

:v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd agree with the 470. He specifically said 450/j80 though, and they are a good truck but underpowered for hauling even just itself around. With a car trailer and 2k lbs vehicle, he'll be at 8500 lbs and that's just too much for regular towing with the straight six. 2nd gear on slight grades and being unable to merge at speed is not comfortable. :v:

KakerMix posted:

5 years ago I would have put the Sequoia right up next to that giant beluga whale Infiniti SUV for being the ugliest things on the road. Now it's not so much what with the Prius but I still have a deep dislike for the way that thing looks.

Even the first gen ones?

I agree with later models, the beluga whale comparison is apt but I didn't feel the early ones had...that face...they ended up with.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 16, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

Go see Chernobyl unless you're scared of living without starbucks and artisanal toast.

I went about 10 years ago and it was amazing. Do they still make you wear dosimeters?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

I went about 10 years ago and it was amazing. Do they still make you wear dosimeters?

Nope. the highest reading I took on the trip was 6 Microsieverts. I obviously didn't rub around in poo poo or go where I wasn't told to.

Going back out there is two check stations. Everybody unloads and goes through a scanner, and they walk around the vehicle with a hand scanner.
The Ukrainian guards found this an opportune time to prank me. They slipped a test piece in behind my head without my notice when I went into the test machine. Lulz were had.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

cursedshitbox posted:

Bucket list material. Amazing. And super jealous.

Are there regularly scheduled tours or how did you wind up getting there?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wanted to make the most out of having a friend up on a lovely sunny day by going to Bowness. Started driving along when suddenly there was a horiffic metal on metal screaching noise from one of the wheels.
Ended up having to call roadside assistance who took a couple minutes to basically wiggle the rotor which had a rim of rust that had started catching the brake pads.
Lost a load of time and felt a little embarassed at what appeared to be such an easy thing to fix. That said we were all worried because it sounded like the wheel was going to fall off.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cursedshitbox posted:

Amazing. When in 6th grade I did my country report on Ukraine. It was before the internet so all my research involved library trips and encyclopedias. It is such an interesting country! Like someone else mentioned Pripyat/Chernobyl also got my interest after that level in Call of Duty and during my time at work spent looking up urban exploring online. I would love to just take in all of the scenery. It's so perfectly eerie. Very sad, and becomes more interesting with the more that time passes.

quote:

I had a rad guide.

Yooooou sonovabitch :haw:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

George Romero died. :smith:

Good news is he'll be back soon enough. :unsmigghh:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

That's how I first kind of felt about LS430s before we got one. But it was such a good car for the price there was no way to pass it up, we love this car. And of course, most non car people have no clue about luxury car depreciation or think the car is brand new, so we had people asking us when we won the lottery or if we got a inheritance and poo poo like that :rolleyes:

I say check them out, if you gotta drive to Jacksonville and back might well be as comfy as possible.....Can't beat those seats :)

Was it you that told me about the 'Lexus Drivers' webpage that Lexus has where you can plug in a vin and it will spit out every dealership service that vehicle has ever had?

I plugged in that LX 470 you had linked and it turns out that's its spent it's entire life in Buffalo New York, all the way up until Jan of this year. :ohdear:
I went ahead and asked about any rust issues and if there were any undercarriage pictures but I'm not holding my breath.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enourmo posted:

George Romero died. :smith:

Good news is he'll be back soon enough. :unsmigghh:

RIP, hopefully :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It would appear that I have fulfilled my evolutionary purpose in life

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im sorry :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Raluek posted:

im sorry :(

May it carry forth my early male pattern baldness and tall genes for generations

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, Dad32 Shamer?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is that a 'I had sex' post?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Lol, Dad32 Shamer?

FATHER32 SHAMER

spog posted:

Is that a 'I had sex' post?

Maybe

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Good job. :toot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gawd damnit.

Mom's car got broken into, in her driveway. No real damage to the car (either she left it unlocked or they got it open without popping the door handle out of the car?), but her garage door opener remote is gone (nothing else is missing, but the car got tossed pretty good - everything in the trunk, glove box, console, trunk, etc was just dumped out on the ground).

Don't know why she had a remote in the car to begin with. Her car has a built in remote for openers/gates, and it's been programmed since she got the car in 2003. Went over there after work and changed the DIP switches on the door opener (yeah.. it's kinda old), used my remote to program the homelink poo poo, and moved enough poo poo around in her garage to get her car in (for the first time since 2005 or 2006).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

congrats, I hope all goes well for your wife.

Saw Baby Driver today, nthing everyone's view on it being a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Good job. As a seasoned veteran of 28 weeks of pregnancy I can tell you that there might be barfing, and if there is, it is in your best interest to be very understanding, patient and supportive.

• Locked thread