Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Calling it now, Candie is Wally's sister.

Candie Brennan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

you gently caress us once, shame on us

you gently caress us twice, shame on you...you're dead

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

kaworu posted:

I dunno, I thought Episode 9 was WAY WAY WAY more 'meh' than this episode.

Any episode with a monologue that fantastic from Margaret to a silent Hawk is pretty good. The bad-boy Horne robbing Sylvia as Johnny looks on was positively brutal.

And there were all kinds of nice little moments in the episode. Harry Dean Stanton strumming his guitar. Nadine and Dr. Amp. T-Bag got a lot of great material and would be stealing any other show with it. The stuff with Candie was totally weird and great. And there was solid advancement on several levels.

I think it's a bit tough for the show to find its legs after episode 8. It's literally like a nuclear bomb exploded in the middle of the season, and even though all the characters are just going on like nothing's happened, we're left without anything in the current narrative to really... connect us to what the gently caress we saw going on there.

If this were ANY other show, we would have gotten something - some point of reference that DIRECTLY connects the events we are currently witnessing to what we saw in episode 8. I feel like the closest we've come was Margaret talking about the electricity, and stating that "Laura is the one," along with Cole's very odd vision of Laura - which he did not mention to Albert, which makes me wonder whether he's seen that before.

But this isn't any other show, so I'm almost glad we aren't getting anything to immediately explain what we saw or why, nor is Lynch holding our hand and telling us exactly where to look.

Anyone catch who that was in the photograph with Mr. C at the end? The bald fellow in the white coat. I did not recognize him as a character but the actor looked vaguely familiar. I assume he was not credited?

alright im not gonna let this "this is the chair" slander stand. come on man, the jerry scene, albert's little moment, the reveal of coop rediscovering the majesty of the american experiment, bobby's childlike glee and emotion with his father's message. it blew even episode 8 out of the loving water and is probably in the top five episodes so far.

I really liked HDS and Candie's slapstick with the fly but altogether imo the episode didnt earn many of its very languid scenes.

also the mixing on the roadhouse song made my ears bleed

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm a bad Lynch fan, I liked the last two episodes more than #8.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I enjoyed episodes 8, 9, and 10 though to be fair I am actually David Lynch.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

atrus50 posted:

alright im not gonna let this "this is the chair" slander stand. come on man, the jerry scene, albert's little moment, the reveal of coop rediscovering the majesty of the american experiment, bobby's childlike glee and emotion with his father's message. it blew even episode 8 out of the loving water and is probably in the top five episodes so far.

I really liked HDS and Candie's slapstick with the fly but altogether imo the episode didnt earn many of its very languid scenes.

also the mixing on the roadhouse song made my ears bleed

Agreed on the mixing on the Roadhouse song, that was rough and I normally crank the volume for TP to get full force of background electricity noise so that was rough for me AND my cats.

I just happen to like the languid scenes, and episode 9 felt... a bit busy to me! I liked the pace of this one more. I did love Bobby's childlike glee in ep 9, and I do think it was an absolutely fine episode, but this one felt more to my taste.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
SCOOBA DIVING! !! *sobs hysterically*

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Also it's weird watching Twin Peaks and Game of Thrones back to back with how different their approaches to narrative, even in a light episode like episode 10, are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What up people who watched TP before GoT crew

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

What up people who watched TP before GoT crew
I'm doing a pretty good, though I had a salad and a hamburger for dinner tonight and I'm starting to taste the salad again in my throat.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm watching GoT tomorrow to keep the cognitive dissonance at bay.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I actually said it before in the wrong thread, but TP takes absolute precedence over GOT to me.

I mean, we get GOT every year and it's just like a regular summer thing, more or less, and we'll still get more GOT after next year, frankly, with the spin-offs like Dunk/Egg or whatever it ends up being.

But how often does there happen to be an 18-hour sequel to what is perhaps my favorite film ever made airing over the course of the summer 25 freakin' years after said film came out - to a chorus of highly undeserved boos from critics and a poor box office, no less? poo poo like that just *does not* happen. I mean I guess it's also a sequel to the series but it feels more in the spirit of FWWM, even with recent silliness.

edit:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:eyepop:

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I thought the last episode was the weakest so far but this one was very good. I feel bad for Janey Jones, I can't help but think this is going to end badly for her.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Ginette Reno posted:

It is gonna be nice watching Lucy take down Chad with the letter thing

I felt like that scene was similar to the scene where she takes down dictation of Mike and Bobby. She's more clever than she's given credit for. She's going to dig around in the garbage or something and get that letter.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Richard Horne is such a jewel in the rough. I cannot wait for his redemption arc.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I feel like no one will agree with me, but I did not miss Danzig at all this episode. I like having lovely real characters with transparent motivation leading the evil doings (Richard, Chad, and even Insurance Man).
Danzig is just kinda dull being this badass mysterious unstoppable force. I dislike him just doing goofy poo poo with electronics while moving through episodes in some unknown direction with no flourish. He had Bob inside of him but you would never know except for lovely CGI. Remember how unsettling he was in the Lodge and the bathroom scene? I miss that.

Danzig needs a some Wimdon Earle sprinkled in him. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apple Craft posted:

Richard Horne is such a jewel in the rough. I cannot wait for his redemption arc.

I hope he ends up worse than Leo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zmej posted:

Get out of this thread you MONSTER

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Anyone know the song that played when post-coital Dougie is snuggling with Janey? It sounds like the song at the ending of episode 5.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

funny way to spell posted:

Anyone know the song that played when post-coital Dougie is snuggling with Janey? It sounds like the song at the ending of episode 5.

It's "Slow Dreams" from Johnny Jewel's Windswept album. You can get the whole thing for like a buck on his web store.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Apple Craft posted:

he's gonna die an insanely violent death along with chad and amanda seyfried's boyfriend and it's gonna rule

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Get out of this thread you MONSTER
:smith: I will defend Wimdon Earle till the end dammit. Danzig would be more fun if you could see him playing cat-and-mouse with Dougie.

Also, do we have to wait 7 more episodes for them to explain what Danzig meant to Shaggy's wife? I want them to string a simpleton like me along with just some small answers.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 17, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I hope in the middle of an episode it cuts to an anthropomorphized tree in the lodge taking a dump on the dead husk of Windom Earle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God all the business with the weird showgirls is so fascinating.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like this could make a good avatar

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

But how often does there happen to be an 18-hour sequel to what is perhaps my favorite film ever made airing over the course of the summer 25 freakin' years after said film came out - to a chorus of highly undeserved boos from critics and a poor box office, no less? poo poo like that just *does not* happen. I mean I guess it's also a sequel to the series but it feels more in the spirit of FWWM, even with recent silliness.
Honestly just the fact the we're getting the first major project from Lynch at all after a decade is pretty amazing.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

im a Belieber! posted:

I feel like this could make a good avatar

this should work

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

God all the business with the weird showgirls is so fascinating.

Candy is my new favourite character

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
With the way Richard turned out, I get the feeling Audrey is going to be a strung out wino now.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I was pretty surprised by the Dumbland teddy bear:

Also:

The arm is reaching for Deer Meadows?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

And More posted:

I was pretty surprised by the Dumbland teddy bear:

Also:

The arm is reaching for Deer Meadows?

It' reminded me of the sketch Treehorn made in the Big Lebowski

Le Saboteur posted:

Nadine created a successful small business from her silent drape runners and no one is talking about this!
Also, came here to post this

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 17, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boy, this new season is a heck of a bloodbath compared to the originals, huh. I guess Twin Peaks isn't the kind of place anymore where one person's death can send the whole town to pieces.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Zmej posted:

I feel like no one will agree with me, but I did not miss Danzig at all this episode. I like having lovely real characters with transparent motivation leading the evil doings (Richard, Chad, and even Insurance Man).
Danzig is just kinda dull being this badass mysterious unstoppable force. I dislike him just doing goofy poo poo with electronics while moving through episodes in some unknown direction with no flourish. He had Bob inside of him but you would never know except for lovely CGI. Remember how unsettling he was in the Lodge and the bathroom scene? I miss that.

I think I agree with this at least a bit. Presumably the main story is between Mr. C and Dougie, but there are so many just awful people and sort of decent people in between. I've felt from early episodes that maybe some of the side-plots are just brief vignettes about how people are terrible that have nothing to do with the main plot. They're just Lynch saying "Fix your hearts or die!" in a way. The people who are just straight up assholes and not possessed by lodge spirits are the true evil.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Supercar Gautier posted:

Boy, this new season is a heck of a bloodbath compared to the originals, huh. I guess Twin Peaks isn't the kind of place anymore where one person's death can send the whole town to pieces.

To be fair, Laura was very much a pillar of that community that everyone knew. No one else in town really gave a poo poo when that agoraphobic guy died, or that Renault brother Leo killed that I forget the name of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Boy, this new season is a heck of a bloodbath compared to the originals, huh.

I honestly kind of don't like this about it but it's just the age of television we live in now I guess.

Also, someone speculated elsewhere that the hand Gordon drew is BOB's hand reaching out of the veil into the real world from that one shot way late in Season 2:

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
The first thing my girlfriend thought of when she saw the antler-things was the sycamore trees. If Cole had a vision of that scene and tried to sketch what he saw that would make a lot of sense

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The visual effects are very schizophrenic, they alternate between being drat good practical effects, followed by SciFi Channel Original Movie CGI, followed by crazy movie-quality CGI effects, followed by that shot of Ray shooting Booper where his gun looked like it had a muzzleflash MS Paint-ed onto it. I cannot for the life of me tell if it is on purpose or not.

im pretty sure it's intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
I wasn't a huge fan of the last episode (still enjoyed it a lot since Twin Peaks is the best show currently airing on TV), but this one was fantastic to me. It reminded me of a lot of the old runs best episodes, in that it expertly blended quirky humor, mysticism, and disturbing violence.