Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Funnily enough, I am the guy who rolled Doom Falcons, and my submission has already been accepted and is now displayed in store alongside the 'pro painted' demo model for Dark Imperium.

So it isn't strictly a competition, but damned if it isn't super fun and exciting to watch in progress. If people are interested, I will keep people posted on the progress in this thread?

You must. You must do this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The big issue the Tau have right now is their internal balance sucks major rear end, you won't see anyone running crisis suits anymore because commanders are objectively better. Just using aforementioned plasma rifles a squad crisis suits will land ~9 shots in rapid fire range for 225 points whereas a commander for 120 will land ~6.6 shots, so no one will take crisis suits except with flamers where their BS does not matter. Some of the problem is that commanders are too cheap along with gun drones, but I still sort of wish they would at least be in a similar PPW range.

Tau Anti armor is also kinda goofy, they have fusion blasters which are amazing but when you look outside of this it kinda gets funny in that our long range AT is terrible. we have the Railgun Hammer head whose main gun seems amazing, until you notice it has one shot a turn, meaning on average a hammerhead will do just over 2 damage a turn against a land raider, which actually makes it worse than a heavy rail rifle broadside whose main gun is ~234% better than a IG lascannon for 315% of the price. :v:

There definitely seems to be the intent to balance stuff around the assumption that markerlights make up for the poor effectiveness, and they kinda do in that having the 5 markerlight bonus increases damage by around 50%, but it is lost in the price to get those markerlight hits. In order to fully mark a unit the minimum cost unit is a 80 point squad of Pathfinders, being able to alpha strike that unit with the rest of your stuff is amazing. However then you have the problem that if you want to break even with the extra cost to get that unit marked you end up firing between a quarter and half your force against that one unit; so you really only use it against a first turn major target that has better be worth firing 750+ points of models at it. Honestly most of what you are seeing in most Tau players is abandoning going for more than the first level of the ML table because just having more units to throw overwhelming amounts of shots is more reliable and less susceptible to just having your marker sources just be murdered by a passing deep striking unit.

This is already too much of an effort post, but for shits and giggles you can do a shooting comparison between a riptide and the new SM dread. The dread is T7 3+ with 13 wounds to the riptides 14 and a 5++ so riptide wins out so far, now the most interesting target for the comparison is against something T5 3+ like a crisis suit:
Math:
The dread is armed with 17 shots of S5 AP-1 and will hits with 2/3 wound with 1/2 and 1/2 will get past the save, so ~2.8 unsaved wounds. It also has in rapid fire range 4 s4 shots, 1/2 hit *1/3 wound*1/3 unsaved so ~0.2, for ~3 unsaved wounds
Riptide default gets 8 shots S6 AP-1, 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 1/2 unsaved so ~1.3 unsaved wounds; if we nova charge we get 12 shots S6 AP-2 so 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 2/3 unsaved so ~2.6, so we can expect 1.3-2.6 from the main gun. The riptide also has a SMS with 8 S5 ap0 shots 1/2 hit, 1/2 wound, 1/3 unsaved so ~0.7 from the SMS for ~2-3.3 total.

so 2.8-3 unsaved wounds by the dread and 2 to 3.3 for the riptide, the dread will win against stuff less than T5 and the riptide will be better against greater than T5.

so the riptide can have ~18% better shooting at the cost of mortal wounds, and be 1/3 tougher against lascannon and such, so the riptide should be something like 30-50% more expensive when you you also say the dread can also fight somewhat effectively. We cannot give a direct comparison without the point cost of the dread but power wise it is 10 to the riptides 17 making it 70% more expensive depending on the conversion ratio.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 17, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just finished a 50 player 5 round ITC tournament on the weekend, with Guard.

Came 4th, and won best painted. A couple of things that stood out to me:

- Mortal wounds are arguably too strong / too common. Both from me dealing them, or being dealt them.

- Culexus assassins are absurdly good. I managed to tarpit 4 warlords, and kill 2 of them out of 5 games.

- Brigade's are where its at. In 1750pts I have 12 re-rolls. Most of my opponents had 3-6.

- Charging Armoured sentinels with a 2+ save (with the +1save psychic ability) into units to tarpit them will never not be funny.

- Leman Russ Laser Destroyers are totally, completely, utterly useless.

- Punishers are good.

- Ratling snipers deploying after all units are setup make people freak out and divert way too much to kill them.

- Holy poo poo, Genestealers are possibly the best unit in the game.

- Hell hounds exploding on a 4+ and killing land raiders is also extremely my poo poo.

Will post pictures up once they're on the tournament's website.

Edit: Lasguns are not scary. Getting to roll dice for 144 of them in one turn and delete a mauler fiend that got too close is :getin:

Yeast fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 17, 2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

I bashed it a couple times, and also got:

Black Dragons
Striking Scorpions
Blood Angels

Half the fun is how dorky/stupid the generator is.

I just got HORNED BARRACUDAS

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
My randomly generated chapter are the Desolation Raiders. Bad rear end!

Actually, "Red Sisters" was the first thing that showed up, but I figured that would be a problem.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Ah the answer to "crisis and broadsides are way overpriced" is "just buy some forgeworld drones for them"

Go ahead and link me the drones, I'll buy em.

Edit: which of these is a heavy gun drone ?
https://imgur.com/gallery/1Vg7h

You know what's a massive ripoff? Goddamn Rhinos. Only 2 strength 4 shots at 24", for 72 points! Compare that to a T'au trooper: strength 5 at 30", and they're only 8 points each. You could get LITERALLY 36 strength 5 shots for the price of a rhino! That's 34 more shots, at higher strength!Talk about a ripoff!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Green Hands

Cryptic Sisters

Polar Gators

This is some quality poo poo.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

chutche2 posted:

Polar Gators

This is some quality poo poo.

Yesssss.

GreenMarine posted:

Desolation Raiders.

Also, Yessss. Mad Max Marines.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Alpha Eaters

Screeching Sisters

Penitent Adders

That is a quality generator

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
First result: Battle Shades. Pretty sure there's an emoticon for that.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Rainbow Wolves :furcry:
Dark Stalkers
Diamond Dogs
Death Eaters
Black Cats
Screaming Sisters
Snapping Turtles
Vigilant Gorillas
Black Adders

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 17, 2017

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
On my first try I got Screaming Hawks and that was all I needed.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Then there are the Umbrageous Inculpators, whose chapter motto probably is "We Try Too Hard".

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

MMAgCh posted:

Then there are the Umbrageous Inculpators, whose chapter motto probably is "We Try Too Hard".

I am in awe. A chapter of "Shadowy Accusers"

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Thunder Phantoms

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LingcodKilla posted:

Isn't that an IG piece and yeah I got a bunch.

Hey thanks! Beer is digging around for some in his bits box, but if you have 3 I'd take yours instead since you're closer :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey thanks! Beer is digging around for some in his bits box, but if you have 3 I'd take yours instead since you're closer :)

Take his because my bits box is in total disarray.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

So my local GW manager did a fairly wicked thing on the weekend.

All the regulars who were hanging about were challenged to paint one of the 'Learn2Paint' Bigmars in a unique chapter. The chapter itself was decided by way of ONLINE RANDOM CHAPTER GENERATOR (seriously, click, it's a hoot)

8 people were handed the Bigmar, and given a couple weeks to create their abomination. Many brave people pressed the 'Generate Chapter' button and accepted their fate:
  • Desolation Tigers
  • Blood Avengers
  • Dancing Sharks
  • Grail Justicars
  • Sapphire Angels
  • War Brothers
  • Doom Falcons
  • Regal Consuls
...SOME rules were placed on known guys, such as the Desolation Tigers guy was not allowed to use a palette of Red and Black, as he does that all the time, and the If people are interested, I will keep people posted on the progress in the thread. dude was mandated to have an exposed head. the Dancing Sharks guy very nearly veto'd his name but after some careful though decided to roll with it. One other dude joined in, but he rolled Thunder Wyverns and decided he didn't like it (Which is a travesty) as such he will create something on his own. The Desolation Tigers guy is currently agonising over 'how much tiger print is too much' for example.

Funnily enough, I am the guy who rolled Doom Falcons, and my submission has already been accepted and is now displayed in store alongside the 'pro painted' demo model for Dark Imperium.

So it isn't strictly a competition, but damned if it isn't super fun and exciting to watch in progress. If people are interested, I will keep people posted on the progress in this thread?

I say we create this challenge. I can run it. Should I make a new thread or should I use this one?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Id make a new one if only because it might get easy to lose posts when a new codex hits or something and people post up a storm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I bashed it a couple times, and also got:

Black Dragons
Striking Scorpions
Blood Angels

Half the fun is how dorky/stupid the generator is.

I just got HORNED BARRACUDAS

I got Storm Guardians and Emperor help me I kinda like that :ohdear: Although it really sounds like Stormcast Eternals.

"Ice Wolves" lol

Ruby Raiders - good name for BA succession chapter

Blue Brothers - now I want to see a blues brothers themed imperial guard faction :haw:

Hamshot posted:

Diamond Dogs
Death Eaters

That's kinda funny

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Got my new chapter name, the unstoppable OZONE BROTHERS

Also one I'd thought if before, Space Dogs :regd09:

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 17, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: The Great Goon Chapter Challenge Is Active! :siren:

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Hamshot posted:

You know what's a massive ripoff? Goddamn Rhinos. Only 2 strength 4 shots at 24", for 72 points! Compare that to a T'au trooper: strength 5 at 30", and they're only 8 points each. You could get LITERALLY 36 strength 5 shots for the price of a rhino! That's 34 more shots, at higher strength!Talk about a ripoff!

So let's compare tau static anti tank with SM static anti tank at 200 pts
SM: predator with 4 lascannons
Tau: aforementioned broadside plus 2 ablative wounds

All bullshit aside do you really think that broadside is in any way comparable in damage output, mobility, or survivability?

How about for mobile firepower? The crisis team I run vs IG at 350 points.
Tau: 3 crisis, 8 fusion blasters, 1 flamer, 6 gun drones. A lot of firepower for sure, but at huge cost. I use this as my deep-strike tank deleter.
Tempest: 1 tempestor prime+rod, 20 scions, 8 melta guns, 2 plasma pistols, 3 power mauls. Can deepstrike all your meltas within range, hit on 3+ base, reroll 1s (especially good for the overcharged plasma pistols), 8 melta shots and 20+ hotshot lasguns.
I'd all but guarantee the 21 models of scions is going to do more damage than that crisis team.

How about transports? The devilfish is 127 points for 12 model capacity and 12 S5 shots at 18"
Chimera with twin heavy bolters is only 95 points! Fewer shots but at twice the range and -1 ap
Taurox prime with Gatling gun is faster, better armed, and again, 95 points.
Compare it to a wave serpent, which is 14 points more expensive, faster, has one more wound, carries stronger, more accurate, longer range guns, and reduces incoming damage by one. For FOURTEEN POINTS MORE!

Let me say again, I'm not saying Tau suck now. I'm saying some of their units are overpriced compared to the competition. I'm talking about the army list I personally have. The units I personally own (9 crisis, 2 broadsides, 2 devilfish) put me at a serious disadvantage.
Strike teams are still good, pathfinders are fragile but cheap, drones are still decent, commanders are still good.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I got the Sanguine Sharks, which sounds like just a... terrifying combination.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This is the one I used to get my Doom Cogs chapter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Never have I been sadder to be all in on Eldar/Deldar/Ynnari than when I rolled up Gore Hippos or Psi Bees.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

theironjef posted:

Never have I been sadder to be all in on Eldar/Deldar/Ynnari than when I rolled up Gore Hippos or Psi Bees.

Those could totally be new aspect warrior shrines.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I got the Sanguine Sharks, which sounds like just a... terrifying combination.

Just as terrifying as mine... the Shrieking Bees Chapter. Could just be a chapter full of Inceptor marines dropping in to shoot everything, while shouting.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Purple Hounds

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Bear in the Woods posted:

Just as terrifying as mine... the Shrieking Bees Chapter. Could just be a chapter full of Inceptor marines dropping in to shoot everything, while shouting.

I actually am doing a bee-themed imperial fist successor.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Welp it looks like my primaris marines finally have their gimmick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I used the chapter generator from a million pages ago to get the Emerald Wizards, which was the least likely Wizard of Oz reference.

But they'd make rad Thousand Sons successors.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Welp it looks like my primaris marines finally have their gimmick.

:patriot:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What is the cheapest way to acquire a bigly? I have to paint a Diamond Shark.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

Dealer's choice:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Etb-Primaris-Intercessors-2017
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Etb-Primaris-Reivers-2017

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Actually..
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/getting-started-with-40k-2017-ENG

Edit: Of course the 3packs are better value for money, but if you want *one* dude for the lowest cash spent, bam.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The only thing I don't like about Primaris is the bigger boltgun thingies they have. There was a sweet spot in 3rd where human models were much smaller than the latest plastic Marine kit; boltguns looked somewhat small in their hands yet huge in the hands of a Guardsmen, which went a long way in expressing proportion.

Guilliman just looks like a skinny Space Marine from the =I=nquisitor range:

BRB, going to eBay Exclusive new Primarch models, L@@K!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everybody but Gulliman looks like they're tripping.

And Gulliman is just plain weird.