Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

I didn't like how a lot of Dark Souls 3 seemed to just be rehashes and repeats from previous Souls games. I understand that was kind of the point with the story given how it's all about this is the last chance with time and space folding in on itself or whatever and I liked the idea but in execution I just felt like I was playing Dark Souls: Greatest Hits (with new Bloodborne speed!) and I didn't like it very much. I still went out of my way to plat it but I never touched the DLC and I'd rather replay Bloodborne over it.

I'd understand this (pretty common) complaint more if it was executed in a way that was lazy, but all of the familiar places felt like homages that were designed from the ground up. The only exception being Anor Londo which was done, effectively imo, for dramatic effect. I really liked everything about the approach.

Dark Souls fans seem really adverse to a little bit of tasteful fan service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're gonna put out a love letter to your previous games, maybe don't do it a year after the last one after like 3 consecutive years of releasing games

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm saying nostalgia bait doesn't work if the thing it's hearkening back to was a year ago

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nah. There's a few areas that kind of resemble areas from demons souls and dark souls 1, 6 and 8 year old games respectively. It's supposed to be a cool little call back tonally but the areas themselves are totally new, different locations with different enemies.

Games do poo poo like that all time time and don't get crapped on for it. Everyone thought it was super cool when you return to the dead space 1 ship in dead space 2, but dark souls puts in a something that vaguely resembles the tower of Latria and it's "don't patronize me Fromsoft! gently caress this fan service! Think of something new"

People were so ready to hate dark souls 3 out the gate and very little of the criticism actually reflects the quality of the game. The game has been under a microscope for criticism since the first trailer hit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk where you're getting this from because that's the opposite of what I remember prerelease talk to be. dark souls 2 is the one people write off

and people don't say they dislike the latria area because it's like latria; they don't like it because it's not good. like a billion mimics and an annoying enemy gimmick plus jump scares

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

can we get the words dark souls and bloodborne filtered to Knack and Knack2 please, videogames?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Knack 2 will probably have a more stable frame rate than Bloodborne

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'm afraid of BB fans. Also is it true that the ps4 pro makes the frame drops more noticeable? I would have thought since it's frame capped at 30 boost would make it much less noticeable.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

People were so ready to hate dark souls 3 out the gate and very little of the criticism actually reflects the quality of the game. The game has been under a microscope for criticism since the first trailer hit.

You must follow a very different Souls crowd because I didn't start seeing any backlash towards the game until after people started playing it. e: Like Manatee Cannon said I only ever saw any pre-release backlash for DS2 because of cries of "oh no it's gonna be more accessible!"

I had a really long response for this almost completely typed out but I realized I should probably stop making long effort posts about why we disagree so fundamentally about these games while still both being big fans of these games.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Elmon posted:

I'm afraid of BB fans. Also is it true that the ps4 pro makes the frame drops more noticeable? I would have thought since it's frame capped at 30 boost would make it much less noticeable.

It's still not a stable 30FPS with Boost mode on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

You must follow a very different Souls crowd because I didn't start seeing any backlash towards the game until after people started playing it. e: Like Manatee Cannon said I only ever saw any pre-release backlash for DS2 because of cries of "oh no it's gonna be more accessible!"

I had a really long response for this almost completely typed out but I realized I should probably stop making long effort posts about why we disagree so fundamentally about these games while still both being big fans of these games.

Nah Dark Souls do have a thing were they trash the new one and talk up the last one. Dark Souls 2 is that in that it was hated around release but three has brought it back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah Dark Souls do have a thing were they trash the new one and talk up the last one. Dark Souls 2 is that in that it was hated around release but three has brought it back.

The Zelda Cycle?!?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elmon posted:

The issue isn't with BB's framerate, which is mostly a solid 30fps locked on PS4 minus a few areas and consistently 30fps on the Pro. The issue has to due with its frame pacing, which is what causes noticeable hitching or screen judder despite the overall FPS remaining consistent, and the Pro does nothing to fix it. Most people probably understand framerate and frame pacing as the same thing, which is where I imagine some of the animus comes from. But the overall effect on the viewer is an often juddery image, regardless of hardware. In conclusion, don't buy a Pro to fix BB.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

can we get the words dark souls and bloodborne filtered to Knack and Knack2 please, videogames?

I am all for the Knack filter.

edit: It might cause some confusion though when Crash Bandicoot is simultaneously Dark Souls and Knack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

The issue isn't with BB's framerate, which is mostly a solid 30fps locked on PS4 minus a few areas and consistently 30fps on the Pro. The issue has to due with its frame pacing, which is what causes noticeable hitching or screen judder despite the overall FPS remaining consistent, and the Pro does nothing to fix it. Most people probably understand framerate and frame pacing as the same thing, which is where I imagine some of the animus comes from. But the overall effect on the viewer is an often juddery image, regardless of hardware. In conclusion, don't buy a Pro to fix BB.
Does a frame pacing problem mean that there's a set schedule of frames that take too long, like every tenth one no matter the situation, or just that too long frames are scattered around willy-nilly? Because I swear Musou Stars (and Zelda Musou before it) had the former problem and it made me quit them even though I love me some Musou games and tolerated the earlier ones that had awful frame rates most of the time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

The Zelda Cycle?!?

Nah Skyward Sword is never gonna be brought into a favorable view.

I dunno if I'm just fairly lucky about who I follow but I've never really observed an inconsistency in views about Dark Souls 2. People like the Bonfireside Chat guys have been pretty consistently in the "Actually Dark Souls 2 is good" camp and every time someone suggests that it's good there's always plenty of people who say "no actually it's bad."

And sometimes people on either side even give reasons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I read a lot more apathy about dark souls 3 than complaints that it's actually bad. Dark souls 2 is still the one I see people complaining about the most. I don't think it will ever not be divisive.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am getting violent, yes.

I will soon thrust my clenched fist up your goonpig rear end and rip your entrails out through the ruined orifice.

It took one post to take you from laughable to tasteless, so evidently I hit the nail on the head.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Nah Skyward Sword is never gonna be brought into a favorable view.

I dunno if I'm just fairly lucky about who I follow but I've never really observed an inconsistency in views about Dark Souls 2. People like the Bonfireside Chat guys have been pretty consistently in the "Actually Dark Souls 2 is good" camp and every time someone suggests that it's good there's always plenty of people who say "no actually it's bad."

And sometimes people on either side even give reasons.

I loved it. But I didnt start playing it until scholar on ps4. So I dodged did it optimally. Anecdotally people starting with Scholar like it way more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does a frame pacing problem mean that there's a set schedule of frames that take too long, like every tenth one no matter the situation, or just that too long frames are scattered around willy-nilly? Because I swear Musou Stars (and Zelda Musou before it) had the former problem and it made me quit them even though I love me some Musou games and tolerated the earlier ones that had awful frame rates most of the time.

I'm so glad I don't notice this poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does a frame pacing problem mean that there's a set schedule of frames that take too long, like every tenth one no matter the situation, or just that too long frames are scattered around willy-nilly? Because I swear Musou Stars (and Zelda Musou before it) had that problem and it made me quit them even though I love me some Musou games and tolerated the earlier ones that had awful frame rates most of the time.

What happens in Bloodborne is that some frames will take too long to render, so they get duplicated on the next refresh cycle, and the next image skips ahead a frame. It's still putting out 30fps, but one or more of those frames are duplicates, which is what results in that unsmooth, hitching effect many people will refer to as screen judder.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFatxFg0nM&t=40s

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

I read a lot more apathy about dark souls 3 than complaints that it's actually bad. Dark souls 2 is still the one I see people complaining about the most. I don't think it will ever not be divisive.

It took one post to take you from laughable to tasteless, so evidently I hit the nail on the head.

It's a Bloodborne joke. Giant pigs interact... interestingly with the backstab attack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm sure 'fisting pigs' was in the BB thread title at some point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

What happens in Bloodborne is that some frames will take too long to render, so they get duplicated on the next refresh cycle, and the next image skips ahead a frame. It's still putting out 30fps, but one or more of those frames are duplicates, which is what results in that unsmooth, hitching effect many people will refer to as screen judder.
Yeah, that sounds like what I noticed immediately about Musou Stars but it seems regular, and isn't influenced by anything going on on the screen.

But Musou Stars is still bad as hell for lots of other reasons anyway. Zelda isn't though and I wanted to enjoy it but ended up moving on.

edit: Bloodborne's judder was only an annoyance to me, they didn't make me want to stop playing or anything. I guess it's the same kind of problem but maybe since Bloodborne is a slower game in general it isn't as big a deal?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 17, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The frame pacing doesn't bother me much but the frame rate itself slowing down (which slows down the entire game speed) gets to me, and that is something a PS4 pro will help with, based on that one video. It happens basically anytime loran darkbeast does its AOE attack, which completely fucks with your ability to dodge through it because the game will slow down for a slightly different length of time every time.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A year ago, when I rent an apartment with my brother, we could never get his PS4 online because of the WS-37397-9 error. Our IP was banned. Not for any of our doing, of course, but because our provider doles out random IPs, and the one we were stuck with was banned. Sony refused any kind of help, said it was on the ISP to change our IP. Our ISP said they couldn't change our random IP, only if we bought a static IP service. This pissed me off, and I blamed Sony's handling of banning IPs, not so much our ISP.

I had pretty much forgotten about that when I bought my first PS4, off the Amazon Prime sale. I'm in a new apartment now, so new IP (same ISP). When I first hooked it up on Friday, PSN worked, downloaded a few demos.

This weekend, I'm already back to getting the WS-37397-9 error. Banned again.

gently caress you, Sony.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly never had any problems with Bloodborne what so ever. Like people say "you people get so offended when people point out flaws in your so called perfect game" but I literally never noticed so it's weird to have to be told hat I have to acknowledge a flaw that wasn't a problem at all in my experience.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I honestly never had any problems with Bloodborne what so ever. Like people say "you people get so offended when people point out flaws in your so called perfect game" but I literally never noticed so it's weird to have to be told hat I have to acknowledge a flaw that wasn't a problem at all in my experience.

Another violent post.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finally beat Crash 2 with all gems. I might go back and do a couple of the ankhs but if I'm being honest with myself I probably won't.

I was a little disappointed, I recalled that getting all gems gave you a new boss fight but I guess it's just an extra cutscene.

Still, that game is loving ace. I love how many little things aren't explicitly explained, it means that when you're running back through old levels trying to get the extras, you get faster and faster due to a better understanding of the mechanics. Like the fact that spinning after a slide jump increases your jump height, never explained but makes a massive difference.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nobody's saying Bloodborne doesn't skip frames; we're just saying that it didn't detract from our enjoyment of the game. Bloodborne isn't perfect, it's just cool & fun.

Or to put it differently: my enjoyment of watching my character get doused in liters upon liters of abomination blood as he mows down hordes of bloodsucking spider-monsters with a giant loving circular saw did not decrease because of a frame skip.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I just bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne but I'm also in the middle of a Dark Souls 3 run on the PC, and switching between the two is super jarring. That's probably worst case scenario, though.

Also Bloodborne doesn't seem to have any lightning to throw which is a bummer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fats posted:

I just bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne but I'm also in the middle of a Dark Souls 3 run on the PC, and switching between the two is super jarring. That's probably worst case scenario, though.

Also Bloodborne doesn't seem to have any lightning to throw which is a bummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIu6Fc-SX_g

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized it's about time to go play Bloodborne again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I just realized it's about time to go play Bloodborne again.

I have one more chalice dungeon until I get the Plat :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Digirat posted:

No, you're just a self-serious twerp taking up space on a comedy board.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm so glad I don't notice this poo poo

Congrats, you're a normal human without brain damage.

Bombadilillo posted:

Another violent post.

:drat:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Revol posted:

A year ago, when I rent an apartment with my brother, we could never get his PS4 online because of the WS-37397-9 error. Our IP was banned. Not for any of our doing, of course, but because our provider doles out random IPs, and the one we were stuck with was banned. Sony refused any kind of help, said it was on the ISP to change our IP. Our ISP said they couldn't change our random IP, only if we bought a static IP service. This pissed me off, and I blamed Sony's handling of banning IPs, not so much our ISP.

I had pretty much forgotten about that when I bought my first PS4, off the Amazon Prime sale. I'm in a new apartment now, so new IP (same ISP). When I first hooked it up on Friday, PSN worked, downloaded a few demos.

This weekend, I'm already back to getting the WS-37397-9 error. Banned again.

gently caress you, Sony.

Should Sony not be allowed to ban IPs from their service? This sounds like your ISP's fault.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Has anyone been able to login to register for the Final Fantasy Dissidia NT beta?

http://na.square-enix.com/us/dissidiant-closedbeta-signup

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Seedge posted:

Should Sony not be allowed to ban IPs from their service? This sounds like your ISP's fault.

This sounds like Sony's fault for still using IPv4 in 2017. There's less than half as many assignable IPv4 addresses as people* and lots of people and companies have lots of devices, so it's no surprise that IPv4 is basically full.

Could be worse; places like Germany are doing stuff like CG-NAT (an entire ISP service area on 1 IPv4, good loving luck playing wheelball then).

*Yes, 232 is around 4300 million or a bit more than half as many addresses as people, but overhead is a hell of a drug.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Has anyone been able to login to register for the Final Fantasy Dissidia NT beta?

http://na.square-enix.com/us/dissidiant-closedbeta-signup

No, I get as far as the Log-In screen and enter my credentials but then it asks me to do it again and fill in a non-existent Captcha.