Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Finally I can say Clinton and Money Grabbing oval office in one sentence with no repercussions!×

× I do in fact not desire to do so except for comedic purposes, mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Near the end of his life, he started getting lots of gigs as an expert on various bits of schlock the military channel put out, in which he'd invariably wear a bomber jacket and aviator shades.

He wore aviator shades because of his hosed up looking eyes, not necessarily cuz they are cool.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

* Hunt for Red October looked at the possibility of a magneto-hydrodynamic drive as a "silent" alternative to normal submarine propulsion. It never caught on because the tech was never powerful enough to be used in ships beyond prototypes, but it was proven to be workable. Also, Red October talked about the inner workings of current subs in such detail that the story goes that the government sent a couple of guys to talk to Clancy to ask how he got the information on A Thing. When he asked which Thing it was they were asking about, they said it was classified.

Is this it?

quote:

6. It confirmed the existence of naval technology that was still classified at the time.
In the movie, the Red October can be super-stealthy by turning off its sonar (which can alert other subs to its location) and navigating silently through a method called "gravimetry." In real life, Russian subs didn't have that capability—but U.S. subs did. Oh, and it was a secret. The information was declassified a few months after the film was released; whether that was because the movie had let the cat out of the bag, or because the tech was by then not very new anymore, no one can (or will) say for sure.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I didn't know about the part where US subs used gravimetry, and I didn't know that that was what the gov't may have been wanting to talk to Clancy about.

I was referring to how the Japanese were eventually able to build a ship that was powered by a magneto-hydrodynamic drive.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

The idea that people in power read Clancy and take it seriously scares me.

Yeah you can just imagine Clancy had that ending and was smirking the entire time while pounding away at the keyboard.

Checkmate, environmentalists :smug:
people in power read Rand and take it seriously

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The rich are well-marbled and raised on the most contamination-free sources. Eat 'em.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
love to work on messages

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/886643007914749955

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
they still write Tom Clancy books

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I'm glad of it

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Mexico should only pay half of of the bill for the wall.
-Democrats 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i was wondering why hillary never really discussed the bankruptcy issues that are prevalent today. it would seem to be a real easy thing for a dem to say "hey, we got a ton of medical bankruptcies of insured people! this shouldn't be happening!!"

turns out it's because she supported the legislation that made debt harder for everyone poor to discharge and made student loans wholly undischargeable

quote:

Ms. Warren’s critique had its beginnings in 1998, when Congress was contemplating an overhaul to the bankruptcy system. Ms. Warren, a Harvard law professor, wrote an Op-Ed piece for The New York Times warning that under such an overhaul, a woman owed child support could lose some of her ability to collect it if the child’s father declared bankruptcy.

Mrs. Clinton, Ms. Warren later recalled, asked to meet with her. Sitting down for a lunch of a hamburger and French fries after giving a speech in Boston, Mrs. Clinton peppered Ms. Warren with questions about bankruptcy law. “She said, ‘Professor Warren, we’ve got to stop that awful bill,’ ” Ms. Warren said in a 2004 interview with Bill Moyers.

Mrs. Clinton took a strong interest in the fate of the bankruptcy legislation, and President Bill Clinton vetoed it in late 2000. But its supporters pressed on, and in 2001, as a senator from New York, Mrs. Clinton was among 83 senators who voted in favor of overhauling the bankruptcy system, a group that included 36 Democrats.

In a 2003 book, “The Two-Income Trap,” Ms. Warren offered a stinging portrayal of how, by her account, Mrs. Clinton changed her views.

“Had the bill been transformed to get rid of all those awful provisions that had so concerned First Lady Hillary Clinton? No,” Ms. Warren wrote. “The bill was essentially the same, but Hillary Rodham Clinton was not.”

She wrote that as first lady, Mrs. Clinton had been “willing to fight for her beliefs.”

“As New York’s newest senator, however, it seems that Hillary Clinton could not afford such a principled position,” Ms. Warren added.

“Campaigns cost money, and that money wasn’t coming from families in financial trouble.”

during the election, i thought that at least hillary clinton was good on women's issues, but seemingly the only group that she felt deserved the relief of bankruptcy was deadbeat dads

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ironically Hillary would have won if she'd mentioned she was for dads rights

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

im inspired

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yeah, because child support issues are a little hosed up and unfair even though they are mostly unavoidable. There is a reverse perspective thread on Reddit that is breaking people's brains right now.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6nm05m/update_girlfriend_now_ex_is_pregnant_and_wants_to/

The MRA solution of no responsibility isn't any kind of solution, but Hillary Clinton stepping up and standing up for men and proposing some reasonable reforms on child support would have rocked the boat enough to get people to maybe think differently about her.

It didn't have to be this issue. It didn't have to be legal pot which is my pet issue. She just needed to find one god drat issue to take a courageous not poll and focus group supported and calibrated stand on. If she just found one, she would not stand out as exactly who everyone who hates her thinks she is, and she couldn't do it. She lost by such a microscopic degree, it's insane. She only had to do so little to not be an epic failure, and she couldn't do it.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

We're gonna be the party of the working on our message class

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yeah, because child support issues are a little hosed up and unfair even though they are mostly unavoidable. There is a reverse perspective thread on Reddit that is breaking people's brains right now.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6nm05m/update_girlfriend_now_ex_is_pregnant_and_wants_to/

The MRA solution of no responsibility isn't any kind of solution, but Hillary Clinton stepping up and standing up for men and proposing some reasonable reforms on child support would have rocked the boat enough to get people to maybe think differently about her.

It didn't have to be this issue. It didn't have to be legal pot which is my pet issue. She just needed to find one god drat issue to take a courageous not poll and focus group supported and calibrated stand on. If she just found one, she would not stand out as exactly who everyone who hates her thinks she is, and she couldn't do it. She lost by such a microscopic degree, it's insane. She only had to do so little to not be an epic failure, and she couldn't do it.

to be fair, it seems that 8 months later the establishment can't do it either. our party is rotted through with smooth-brained yes-men and cowards

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Because Hillary in total power rotted the establishment even worse than it was before. Obama didn't have these problems with connecting with the voters he needed.

Serf
May 5, 2011

eliminate the need for child support by nationalizing childcare

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
To some, it isn't about the child. One of them punishment things, like denying someone access to abortion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I was joking. Let's please not spend the morning arguing about fathers rights.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I suggest instead we should finally get around to discussing what happened in the 2016 Democrat Presidential Primary

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Serf posted:

eliminate the need for child support by nationalizing childcare

Yes, of course. But the taxpayers need someone to persuade them that they should be the people supporting children that aren't theirs that their parents don't want to support. The Democratic Party has to do this job, not avoid it because it's understandably hard.

If they don't want to try on this or other issues, get the gently caress out of the way and let someone else try.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 13:29 on Jul 17, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yes, of course. But the taxpayers need someone to persuade them that they should be the people supporting children that aren't theirs that their parents don't want to support. The Democratic Party has to do this job, not avoid it because it's understandably hard.

If they don't want to try on this or other issues, get the gently caress out of the way and let someone else try.

i say we make zuck pay for it. 63 billion could probably take care of a lot of kids

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/886253887287590912

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuriousxGeorge posted:

She lost by such a microscopic degree, it's insane. She only had to do so little to not be an epic failure, and she couldn't do it.

Hillary lost "by a microscopic degree" if you don't look at previous elections and don't look at her opponent. Otherwise, lol she really got trounced.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i think new deal progressivism isn't enough anymore. we tried it, it got rolled back over time and look where we are now. "kinder, softer capitalism" is a myth

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol that AP has to report this

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al Franken had a great line about this sort of thing back in 2010:

quote:

“The opponents of reform have found their bumper sticker, their slogan, their rallying cry, it’s one word: No. You can read that on a bumper,” said Franken. “Our bumper sticker has — it’s just way too many words. And it says, ‘Continued on next bumper sticker.'”

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I mean that's basically the end game of every progressive piece of legislation ever right?

The only way you sell something like medicare-for-all or a 40% tax bracket to the rich and powerful is that it buys them some more time till the guillotines come out.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Serf posted:

i think new deal progressivism isn't enough anymore. we tried it, it got rolled back over time and look where we are now. "kinder, softer capitalism" is a myth

Leaving ones opponents alive and all their means intact and able to fully engage with the political order does seem really foolish in retrospect.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I mean that's basically the end game of every progressive piece of legislation ever right?

The only way you sell something like medicare-for-all or a 40% tax bracket to the rich and powerful is that it buys them some more time till the guillotines come out.

We can't sell it at all though. They still think they are going to send all the malcontents into the Democratic party supported prison system instead. Are they wrong?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The centrists are going to run on "we might restore the ACA and we're going to murder brown people way better than the GOP" wrapped in woke performativity in 2020 after a blindingly bipartisan war resolution vote on whichever country they've decided really, truly deserved to not have a future. Hopefully there will be uncompromised leftists to primary that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The idea that elites in 2017 USA have any fear of revolution whatsoever is absurd.

Homestead and Blair Mountain are long forgotten and there are, practically speaking, zero working class institutions capable of fielding any kind of combat group.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Has anyone made the joke yet that he was actually answering the question as asked here

"Our message is being worked on" will be Harris 2020's campaign slogan

The biggest hashtag of 2018 will be #WereWorkingOnIt

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Hillary hates men.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

loquacius posted:

Has anyone made the joke yet that he was actually answering the question as asked here

The #resistance will be means tested.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

love it when the democrats are so poo poo that ap headlines become savage just by pointing things out

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

page under construction animated gif 2020

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
crowley is my rep lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

The idea that elites in 2017 USA have any fear of revolution whatsoever is absurd.

Homestead and Blair Mountain are long forgotten and there are, practically speaking, zero working class institutions capable of fielding any kind of combat group.

I'll preface this by saying that I in no way advocate violence. But I'd think the concern isn't some armed insurrection, but pissing off enough people that guys like the congressional softball game shooter start to become something they have to worry about.

• Locked thread