Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Chill la Chill posted:

Hm, this sounds exactly like the plan from way back in 3rd edition, but I wasn't around for that. Didn't they have the internet campaign (and 2+ people per store) back then?

Third edition was when I got in and was easily the most fun era of 40k imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

I guess. I play orks, so I don't much care. Also LOL if you play with anyone but friends/cool bros, and hopefully at someone's house (with beer).

For some people the FLGS or a local club are the only places a game can be had, which is why a game that's just barely well written enough to be houseruled between friends over beer in a basement into some semblance of effectiveness isn't close to being actually well written.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sorry, you're wrong. The new Ork bikes are way awesome.

I'm so sorry about your Stockholm syndrome.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The newer ork bikes are cool, though. They look appropriately ramshackle and Mad Max

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
GW is trash, HTH

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NTRabbit posted:

For some people the FLGS or a local club are the only places a game can be had, which is why a game that's just barely well written enough to be houseruled between friends over beer in a basement into some semblance of effectiveness isn't close to being actually well written.

I play with friends even though we have tons of local FLGS and GW stores around if we wanted to play with strangers. And even then we've split the 40k starter (discounted, only $70 total after we sold the rulebook) to use for other games because :lol: at putting up with looking up bullshit rules getting in the way of our gaming.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

The newer ork bikes are cool, though. They look appropriately ramshackle and Mad Max

They just don't do anything for me. I don't like where the guns are, I don't like all the bits, and I hate how they've painted it so the legs of the rider vanish into the vehicle. A big appeal of the Gorkamorka bike is that it didn't have the side guns, it was just a dude on a bike with a pistol.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm so sorry about your Stockholm syndrome.
Yeah, I guess you're right. This:

is vastly superior to this:

I'm just slobbing all over GW's nob over this one.

Atlas Hugged posted:

A big appeal of the Gorkamorka bike is that it didn't have the side guns, it was just a dude on a bike with a pistol.
You realize this was a choice, right? Someone left the guns off, because the kit came with the side guns.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

I really wish we knew what brain disease you had so we could help you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

You realize this was a choice, right? Someone left the guns off, because the kit came with the side guns.

Yes, I get that it was based on the plastic kit of the time. It also included some neat metal components and the marketing was based around showing it as a cool dude on a cool bike for a cool game.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

95% compared to some other games? Maybe. But compared to 7th ed. they are a big improvement.

Bigly marines are just this years model. Very few people don't like them. They look nice. As always they are way too expensive, but if you don't just hate the look of Space Marines, they are really nice.

The thing is, 30k is proof that 7th was mostly fine before GW's design team kept bolting things onto it. The same people who did that are also working on 8th.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. This:

is vastly superior to this:

I habe the feeling that the very different quality of painting makes this post a tad disingenuous :v:

That being said, the second bike rules imo

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fathis Munk posted:

I habe the feeling that the very different quality of painting makes this post a tad disingenuous :v:

The first bike is Rogue Trader era. The second is a conversion that borrows design elements from 2e and Gorkamorka, such as the trakks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

I honestly tried to find an image of an old Ork bike that was larger than a postage stamp, but couldn't. I thought about the painting disparity, but decided to post anyway, as the image sizes were pretty close.

I mean, there are parts of the old bikes that I liked, and I still have a pile of them in the basement ready for GM. That said, the newer bikes are just better.

EDIT: Found one:

Better paint job, still not a better model than the new bikes.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The first bike is Rogue Trader era. The second is a conversion that borrows design elements from 2e and Gorkamorka, such as the trakks.
Good lord, it's a FW Nob bike, not a conversion.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

berzerkmonkey posted:

I honestly tried to find an image of an old Ork bike that was larger than a postage stamp, but couldn't. I thought about the painting disparity, but decided to post anyway, as the image sizes were pretty close.

I mean, there are parts of the old bikes that I liked, and I still have a pile of them in the basement ready for GM. That said, the newer bikes are just better.

EDIT: Found one:

Better paint job, still not a better model than the new bikes.

Sorry, this bike rules

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Sorry, this bike rules

Didn't say it was bad, just that new ones are better. But, as Atlas Hugged likes to point out, it is a conversion, so I guess it's discredited?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

NTRabbit posted:

Just out of curiosity, what games do you play?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm sorry I don't have extensive knowledge of the GW range not mentioned on their website.

Also if it was a conversion it wouldn't count. Anyone can make an awesome conversion and it has nothing to do with the models being sold.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 17, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sorry I don't have extensive knowledge of the GW range not mentioned on their website.

Also if it was a conversion it wouldn't count. Anyone can make an awesome conversion and it has nothing to do with the models being sold.

"Good lord" was more my frustration with your response, as opposed to you not knowing the entire GW line. I don't think the older bikes are terrible - it's mostly their riders that suck and make the entire model look bad. But, the new bikes are ramshackle and spiky, and are proper Orky.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Just out of curiosity, what games do you play?

All I've played recently is Kings of War, though it wouldn't matter either way, because none of my friends play minis games. I also don't have a FLGS with gaming tables within an hours drive, which means I have to hit up one of the three clubs here.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

berzerkmonkey posted:

"Good lord" was more my frustration with your response, as opposed to you not knowing the entire GW line. I don't think the older bikes are terrible - it's mostly their riders that suck and make the entire model look bad. But, the new bikes are ramshackle and spiky, and are proper Orky.

My point still stands though, a dynamic paint job and design elements borrowed from a model I actually like make that one way better than the offering you'd find on the GW site.

For reference this is the version I like. I think the rider is fine. He doesn't have a stupid WW1 hat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

NTRabbit posted:

All I've played recently is Kings of War, though it wouldn't matter either way, because none of my friends play minis games. I also don't have a FLGS with gaming tables within an hours drive, which means I have to hit up one of the three clubs here.

That sucks. Genuinely sorry to hear about your situation.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

Feel free to holiday in Bangkok.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
All Ork bikes are good bikes except that first one berzerkmonkey posted

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

All Ork bikes are good bikes except that first one berzerkmonkey posted

I can agree with that assessment.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
good orks

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Moola posted:

good orks

Gorks

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
mad orks

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
dumb orks

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

mad orks

Marks?

Durks?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MORKS YOU FUCKER

YOU FOOL

YOU IDIOT FOOL

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Be careful everybody. :ohdear: Moola has a bone to pick with you.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

But then what are Storks?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Moola posted:

MORKS YOU FUCKER

YOU FOOL

YOU IDIOT FOOL

you right

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

evilmiera posted:

But then what are Storks?

strange orks

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
norks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Thought it was a hot titty ork commissar at first, then realised it was a nurse.

B-

• Locked thread